Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Macaron Queen

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

A mother-and-daughter team deals with health problems and family resentments, and needs Marcus to help them face their issues and raise their macaron business to the next level.

Original airdate 12/03

I was particularly interested in this episode because my daughter is a classically trained pastry chef and her favorite thing to make for the restaurant she works at are her little after-dinner macarons.  I've attached two pictures of hers, but she makes so many lol.  

I was so worried about the mom's heart.  I am glad she finally let go of her recipes so her legacy can continue on.  

strawberry lemon.jpg

lavender.jpg

• Love 12

I was expecting Marcus to land Nina in some fabulous fashion job in the end. I'm glad her dedication to her mother and her newly-sparked interest in the company's growth will keep her in the biz.

I don't think I've ever had a macaron. 😕

• Love 7

This was an exciting episode for me, as Perimeter Mall in Atlanta is right across the street from my old office.  I could walked over there back in July and said "Hi" to Marcus if I had known they were filming! LOL

I liked the family, the product, and the fact that they contacted Marcus for help, he gave them plenty of advice, and they accepted all of it without hesitation or argument.  I think this one will be a hit for Marcus.

I was wondering yesterday why, after all of these episodes, none of Marcus' investments have been a home run like they often have on "Shark Tank".  You'd think that after 60+ episodes, at least one of them would be a massive success (goodness only knows how many complete money pits we've seen here!).

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Gregg247 said:

This was an exciting episode for me, as Perimeter Mall in Atlanta is right across the street from my old office.  I could walked over there back in July and said "Hi" to Marcus if I had known they were filming! LOL

I liked the family, the product, and the fact that they contacted Marcus for help, he gave them plenty of advice, and they accepted all of it without hesitation or argument.  I think this one will be a hit for Marcus.

I was wondering yesterday why, after all of these episodes, none of Marcus' investments have been a home run like they often have on "Shark Tank".  You'd think that after 60+ episodes, at least one of them would be a massive success (goodness only knows how many complete money pits we've seen here!).

It was nice that their business was profitable and that they seem competent.

Loved looking at the Middle Eastern food the mom cooked.

• Love 4

I also thought Marcus might get a job in fashion for the daughter, but since he is investing this business, and she is very capable, he probably wants her there. 

This was a decent episode except for the staged "fight" between the co-packer lady and momma about how dare you call that a macaron! Gotta have that drama. 

I am feeling generous so I will say one nice thing about Marcus: He is no longer wearing those fucking broken heart sweaters! Hurrah! 

• Love 8

I just loved this episode.  However, I'm not sure if it is because I enjoyed the business owners and their willingness to listen to Marcus or the fact that none of the participants thought they were so very cool and hip and therefore pulled out some kind of musical instrument and tried to sing during the episode...

This is the kind of episode I like-competent business owners who need sound advice in order to improve their business without having to get family counseling from Marcus...

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 12/4/2019 at 2:01 PM, Gregg247 said:

Marcus' investments have been better for him then the business owners. This is the difference between shark tank and his show. Marcus took a bunch of the fashion related businesses he helped (or bought) and ended up making them into one brand Marcus L fashion (or something like that). The store he had them test their cookies in is his flagship fashion store. When you look back you wonder why he invested in a tee shirt company or a small boutique, but he was building up a brand for himself. Not sure what happened to the small business owners, if they get a so much per sale or a one time buy out? Shark tank people come in wanting to build their own company or brand, Marcus objective is to build his brand. 

On 12/4/2019 at 8:05 AM, mojito said:

I was expecting Marcus to land Nina in some fabulous fashion job in the end. I'm glad her dedication to her mother and her newly-sparked interest in the company's growth will keep her in the biz.

That is the first thing I thought of when she said she had a fashion background. I wondered is he opening a new Marcus fashion store in GA and wants her to head his store. She fit his type of store manager he has at other locations. 

After seeing Marcus' Chicago clothing store on this episode , I think this is what he really wanted all along. I don;t think he loves RV's but it was a market that was untapped as a national brand. It made him money to do what he loves which seems to be fashion. I still have wondered about his marriage(s). He was married for about 15 years to his first wife but did not live with her( and according to his court testimony they only seem to see each other at social events?)  and met his second wife who is about 30 years older then him while married to his first wife.  His second wife had a career in fashion. I wish he would give an interview with his wife. If they fell in love because of a fashion connection and he did not mind the age difference I would like to hear their love story. Marrying someone with that old means he will likely never have his own kids. He has been so open about his growing up, his struggles in life but very private about this latest marriage. His wife was at the NY premiere but was not on camera (she posted pictures on social media with A-Rod and Marcus). 

I did like this episode best but I am starting to watch more and wonder why is he choosing these businesses. Nothing special about the cookies, they were softer? There is a nice family stand in my mall selling macroons , taste good, lower priced, same cool colors, so why this family? 

• Love 3

I hate to tell the Macaron mom but no legit French macaron would be made in those day-glow colors like that. She was very defensive about her authenticity for someone who had totally Americanized macarons. I also was questioning that meeting with Weight Watchers when they said something about not wanting their products to have “artificial ingredients” when the macarons are full of food-colouring. I seriously doubt they were using special all-natural food colouring in them. 

• Love 6
On 12/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Macarons are not the exotic specialty items they used to be.   My local grocery store has a bunch of flavors in the bakery case, and I've even seen frozen ones you defrost at a certain national discount chain.    

Yes, but according to the mom (I just cannot remember her name), those are not macarons!  She was very aghast when she said that. 

I went over to Perimeter Mall yesterday to check out the Macaron Queen kiosk in person.  It's still there and is surprisingly beautiful for being a mall kiosk!  They had a full display of items, and a sign advertising available franchise opportunities.  They also had a small "As Seen on The Profit" sign.  They hadn't opened yet (it was 11:15) so I couldn't do a taste-test to verify Marcus' opinion!

• Love 1

After seeing this show I looked on their website and they were offering a discount with the code Profit.  Took forever to receive them.  They look pretty but I’m not thrilled with the texture - a little too cakey for me.  I ordered a dozen in different flavors but they all taste the same.  I don’t think I’ll be reordering.  

• Love 1

During the live airing they had a promo for 500 free sample packs. Middle of January I received a strange package on my doorstep that turned out to be 5 well-packed and fresh tasting macarons! Thanks Marcus!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2