Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Out for Blood

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Conrad comes under fire when a former patient files a malpractice lawsuit against him, putting Bell in a difficult position with Red Rock. When Devon discovers that his VIP patient has a life-threatening brain condition, the doctors ban together to perform a risky surgery. Meanwhile, Mina discovers that Adaku has a dangerous heart condition that puts her and the baby at risk, and Kyle forms a personal relationship with a patient.

Airdate: 12/03/2019

Mina’s friend continues to annoy me whenever she is on. You don’t need to go to term- delivering at 33-34 weeks is fine and 28 weeks is no longer a death sentence. I’m sure she’s going to die now making this decision.

Isn't this the second season of this show? Shouldn’t Devon be in his second year, and Conrad should already be chief. Unless it’s taken us two seasons to get to 6 months. 

What is up with creepy Red Rock guy? He’s always sweating and nervous and doing a shitty job. I was disappointed at first with Bell but I’m glad he’s back as Chief of Surgery. I wish someone killed that creepy murderer- it pisses me off that amoral assholes try to play victim.

I liked the princess (yay to seeing Jaya from God Friended Me). She had nice chemistry with Devon, but she’s married to a prince right? Too bad.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, twoods said:

What is up with creepy Red Rock guy? He’s always sweating and nervous and doing a shitty job. 

I liked the princess (yay to seeing Jaya from God Friended Me). She had nice chemistry with Devon, but she’s married to a prince right? Too bad.

I hate Red Rock guy. I’m worried that I’ll see the actor somewhere and forget that he’s just playing a character and mean mug him (or loudly whisper what a jerk he is).

i don’t remember the princess saying she was married. 

• Love 4

She was a princess because her Dad is a King, not married, maybe a new love interest for Devon? 

Ha! Glad to see Bell is still the pragmatic survivalist on this show and they at least had continuity in that, if not the surgery.  He was last taking Valium to stop the handshaking.   But he's one of the show's best actors so I'll suspend disbelief.  But I'll miss his assistant.

Not sure if I believe the manufactured crisis with Conrad and Devon, but was glad they didn't leave us with a cliffhanger.   And, they do remember Devon was a cheating, home breaking in mail stealer who involved Conrad and Nic heavily yes? And basically stalked someone.  So this feels really manipulative.  But go Conrad, steady as a rock under pressure.

Edited by Jlina
PS it's the third season. Time flies! Or we all forgot season 2?
  • Love 10

I liked Princess Nadine a LOT. I liked her scenes with Devon as well. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing her again, I really wouldn't. And maybe she'll bring some likeability back to Devon, who has been frustratingly judgemental as of late. Or maybe he's always been this way. I mean, he was certainly worse last season than this one, but still frustrating. 

Devon's scene with Conrad before he was deposed was frustratingly bad in terms of the dialogue. I know Conrad can be frustrating, but that scene had some very poor writing. I don't hate Matt Czuchry, but he doesn't seem to have a whole lot of emotions past smug a lot of the time. He was just smirking in his scene with Devon. 

That being said, good on Devon for his choice to lie under oath. I usually would object against it but Red Rock Rep is just plain awful, so I loved seeing him lose the battle. Sure, it's not over and RRR will find a way to get a win at some point, but I'm all for the little victories.

Bell was fantastic in this episode. You could see his inner turmoil all episode and there was no good way of getting out of it for him. That being said, Bell, you should have had your phone ready to record RRR when he was confessing! I know he basically had no time to do so, but if he had phone in hand, while RRR was pouring his drink, he could have already had it recording his Evil Scheme. 

I'm glad Bell quit as CEO and decided to get back as Chief of Surgery. Bell thrives better there, anyway, and I really, really loved his line about not wanting to be "up there" as management when things kick off and that he can survive better "down here". 

AJ continues to rise as my favourite character. I remember when he first showed up and I hated him so much that I fell behind on the show, partially because of him. Now, I would be upset if he didn't appear in an episode. 

Urg, Kyle, why are you here? Oh right, to get a love interest and to waste our time, I guess? All the Kyle stuff is taking away from other characters. He's not objectively bad like Cain or RRR, but I doze through his scenes now. 

Mina and Adaku's scenes? Meh. I mean, either Adaku is going to die or she isn't. There's really no in between that I can see, unless someone in the hospital starts killing pregnant women in labour and that becomes a whole mystery. Which I could totally see happening, by the way. Supporting characters on this show don't tend to survive for very long. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I thought this was the winter finale; glad they'll return in December to tie up loose ends.   

Bell - still the same - unscrupulous and always ready to throw someone under the bus to save his own hide.   So, step down as CEO  but still chief of Surgery?!   I thought they were firing him if Conrad stayed?  Guess there's still time for dirt to be done!

Devon had a conscience and didn't throw Conrad under the bus (knew it) and happy they're back on "normal" terms--understanding but respecting their differences.  That was manufactured angst and drama I didn't need anyway.  Thought for a second, the princess would be Devin's new love interest.

Cain wasn't quite as obnoxious as usual in the OR when Bell and Raptor took over - that was a bit of a surprise.  

I'm sick of Nic's dad; why is he in the show?

Mena and her cousin - why the hell would she get pregnant knowing her or her child's life is in peril?   Finish that storyline.

Edited by cathmed
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

I can't stand this Red Rock actor. Normally I'm pretty forgiving on performances, but he can't emote with his face at all. It's even worse with nearly all of his scenes are opposite Bruce Greenwood.

• Love 6
On 12/4/2019 at 1:04 AM, twoods said:

Mina’s friend continues to annoy me whenever she is on. You don’t need to go to term- delivering at 33-34 weeks is fine and 28 weeks is no longer a death sentence. I’m sure she’s going to die now making this decision.

Isn't this the second season of this show? Shouldn’t Devon be in his second year, and Conrad should already be chief. Unless it’s taken us two seasons to get to 6 months. 

Yeah - I was expecting them to go "oh well the fetus is already in the safe place for lungs, we can just pump it up with some drugs and it'll be good if we can get it out now, but let's aim for a C-Section at 32 weeks."

This is the third season of the show. I believe Hunter was killed at least 6 months after her stuff.

The first season was a midseason replacement, so let's say that was only a few months in show time.

We've had two Halloween Episodes, so at the least, 2 years have passed - probably 2 1/4 years into Devon's residency.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yay for the return of shady Bell! I thought they wrote that really well. He is still a self serving bastard BUT he kept his good friend Kit in the loop (excellent writing to have Kit as the person he confides in. She is established as a truly good person so this really demonstrates how much Bell has actually changed).

I have always liked his shady side and how he'll bring you down when push comes to shove so this was great. He can be all reformed with a heart but he's still sketchy Bell deep down. I'm finding it hard to express myself but it feels like they managed to redeem his character from S1 but still kept the very greyness that made him a great character.

Mina and her friend...ugh. Only good thing was that it gave us a lovely Mina and Raptor scene. I love them so much and especially liked what Raptor said to her. 

OMG why are Nic's relos such a drag! KILL THEM ALL! She has the worst relos on the planet! Seriously the majority of the characters on this show are awesome except for Nic's tedious relos!

• Love 4

Devon has the most beautiful  eyes, liquid pools of beautiful.  I loved his storyline with the princess,  who was also beautiful.

Devon is quite attractive, for sure, and that actress is stunning. I don't "ship" them per se, but they would have adorable children.

I'm glad Bell quit as CEO and decided to get back as Chief of Surgery. Bell thrives better there, anyway, and I really, really loved his line about not wanting to be "up there" as management when things kick off and that he can survive better "down here". 

I like this as well, as long as he has his shaky hands under control. I want Bell and the Jane Leeves doctor to get together.

How about the 1st spine surgery ... auggh!  Where it was done at an outpatient "surgical center", but then they had to take the patient to a real hospital. Call the malpractice lawyer, stat!

• Love 2

Oh the hypocrisy. But since the show is about the failings of the medical system in the US Dr Prevish's lying under oath is probably just as big an issue as all the other crap the show focuses on. A lying doctor is a lying doctor. A vindictive doctor is a vindictive doctor.  A doctor that aids in a cover up is a doctor that aids in a cover up. No way to dress that up even in a buddy movie.

This isn't just about procedure or hippocratic oath one could argue Conrad assaulted the patient by purposely inflicting pain. This was the cover up of a crime.

It appears that Hank Voight and Vic Mackey have opened up a medical school.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

Oh the hypocrisy. But since the show is about the failings of the medical system in the US Dr Prevish's lying under oath is probably just as big an issue as all the other crap the show focuses on. A lying doctor is a lying doctor. A vindictive doctor is a vindictive doctor.  A doctor that aids in a cover up is a doctor that aids in a cover up. No way to dress that up even in a buddy movie.

This isn't just about procedure or hippocratic oath one could argue Conrad assaulted the patient by purposely inflicting pain. This was the cover up of a crime.

It appears that Hank Voight and Vic Mackey have opened up a medical school.

I don't the show was trying to be hypocritical I think it was trying to show that Conrad is flawed and his self righteousness can be dangerous. Devon going along with it is a little tougher to swallow but I can fanwank he did it because he believes Conrad is a good doctor. I also think the show was trying to point out as it often does that blind faith in doctors is a problem in itself.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2019 at 3:33 AM, Jlina said:

She was a princess because her Dad is a King, not married, maybe a new love interest for Devon? 

Ha! Glad to see Bell is still the pragmatic survivalist on this show and they at least had continuity in that, if not the surgery.  He was last taking Valium to stop the handshaking.   But he's one of the show's best actors so I'll suspend disbelief.  But I'll miss his assistant.

Not sure if I believe the manufactured crisis with Conrad and Devon, but was glad they didn't leave us with a cliffhanger.   And, they do remember Devon was a cheating, home breaking in mail stealer who involved Conrad and Nic heavily yes? And basically stalked someone.  So this feels really manipulative.  But go Conrad, steady as a rock under pressure.

Exactly! I couldn't take him seriously while he's being all self righteous. Also, I don't give a crap that Conrad tortured a murderer by withdrawing morphine for a bit so he could save hostages. I won't rewatch but I'm positive Pravesh has broken/bent the rules at least twice when it comes to patients 

Again, because he is a whistleblower, any action taken to fire him will look like payback. I hate this storyline. I hate that they have them hating each other. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Court said:

Also, I don't give a crap that Conrad tortured a murderer by withdrawing morphine for a bit so he could save hostages. I won't rewatch but I'm positive Pravesh has broken/bent the rules at least twice when it comes to patients . 

Torture is wrong and there's a reason the feds stopped doing it - the person will say whatever you want to hear in order to get it to stop.

There were so many other ways Conrad could've gone about it that wasn't literally torturing the guy - didn't he give him Narcan? Which would make it so morphine would not work at all to help him with his pain?

or was that another medical show

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, misstwpherecool said:

Right...but at the same time there was absolutely NO mention of why Conrad would have done such a thing. They made it sound like Conrad was just torturing the guy to torture him, and not that the patient had a hostage suffering with his own pain at that time. Why were the patient's rights considered more important than those he hurt? Had Conrad not done what he did, an innocent man would have died.

I guess I'm also a bit biased in regard to pain management, as I live with chronic pain and have been cut off painkillers thanks to the opioid "crisis". I am just a regular person, who's always tried to live life the best I could, yet nobody cares about my pain. Meanwhile, there's a murderer who's horrible, and everyone is trotting around his feelings and whether or not he is suffering the least little bit. It's maddening.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 2:38 AM, bros402 said:

Torture is wrong and there's a reason the feds stopped doing it - the person will say whatever you want to hear in order to get it to stop.

There were so many other ways Conrad could've gone about it that wasn't literally torturing the guy - didn't he give him Narcan? Which would make it so morphine would not work at all to help him with his pain?

Isn't giving him Narcan also torture?  It's withholding pain relief just in a different way.

The person will say what you want them to say  under torture but there is a difference between making stuff up to make the torture stop because you don't know the truth, and telling the truth because you know it.

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Isn't giving him Narcan also torture?  It's withholding pain relief just in a different way.

The person will say what you want them to say  under torture but there is a difference between making stuff up to make the torture stop because you don't know the truth, and telling the truth because you know it.

Yes, that is what I meant - giving him Narcan is torture.