Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: In My Time Of Dying

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sorry for the break, I really wanted to make sure I had the time to really watch this episode. I think this is one of the best episodes Supernatural has ever produced. Ironically it's rather talky and kinda angsty which are two of my main complaints with recent seasons, but the three stories all pull together so well. And the way Manners uses the camera to tell story is just a delight. I'd say this episode marks the beginning of my investment in the show--I didn't fully realize it until What Is And What Should Never Be though--throughout S1 I was interested, but I think S2 is where they really found their legs.

Is this a good time to talk about the title card? I'd say S2's title card might be my favorite...although, I rather liked the simplicity of the first season also. After S2, though, I think they started becoming a bit too much for my taste. Plus, I don't like to disagree with a certain supernatural gay dragon on the internet who used to get so excited about the S2 titles.

I should also get out of the way that I can't hear Strangehold by Ted Nugent anymore without hearing Bobby's words "storm's coming and you boys and your daddy are smack in the middle of it." Thanks for that Supernatural.

Anyway, I really love just about everything in this episode. Granted the locations don't really match up between the hospital and Bobby's house and some of the mind fuckery things that Tessa shows Dean don't really make much sense.  But I really don't give a crap about those minor quibbles because everything else works here.

Manners camera trickery was amazing. I particularly love the way they shot the Ouija Board sequence and that shot of the coffee dropping while Sam runs to his dead father is some really good stuff. My favorite frame job for the episode might be when Sam is looking through Dad's journal and Dean is standing in the background telling him thanks for not giving up on him--the way the curve of Sam's head fits into the negative space of the Dean's neck is just beautiful. I also love the way they talk about how they shot that Ouija board sequence on the commentary--I do love to know how things work.

The guest cast was truly marvelous. I loved Tessa, thought Bobby was used effectively; and Fredrick Lane might be my favorite Yellow Eyes

(although Mitch Pilegi did some good stuff with him later.) I actually miss this idea of demons hopping around from host to host that they used to have. It got a little muddled with Alistair in S4, but I think it makes more sense and helps shake up dynamics on the show having different actors come in from time to time.

The main cast was also all on their game as well. Jensen breaks my heart so many times in this episode. And Sam and John continuing to butt heads--Sam telling John to go to Hell at one point--and Dean stuck in the middle even in death really works. Jared really sells Sam's growing frustration with John and his growing worry for Dean. And even though I was not too sad to see Jeffery Dean Morgan go, he really ups his game in this episode and that scene between him and Yellow Eyes is one of my favorite JDM scenes he did on the series.

Alright, that's probably enough gushing for now...truly one of my favorite episodes, not only of Supernatural, but would probably make a top ten list of all time TV favorites.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 4
(edited)

Sorry for the break, I really wanted to make sure I had the time to really watch this episode. I think this is one of the best episodes Supernatural has ever produced. Ironically it's rather talky and kinda angsty which are two of my main complaints with recent seasons, but the three stories all pull together so well. And the way Manners uses the camera to tell story is just a delight. I'd say this episode marks the beginning of my investment in the show--I didn't fully realize it until What Is And What Should Never Be though--throughout S1 I was interested, but I think S2 is where they really found their legs.

Manners camera trickery was amazing. I particularly love the way they shot the Ouija Board sequence and that shot of the coffee dropping while Sam runs to his dead father is some really good stuff. My favorite frame job for the episode might be when Sam is looking through Dad's journal and Dean is standing in the background telling him thanks for not giving up on him--the way the curve of Sam's head fits into the negative space of the Dean's neck is just beautiful. I also love the way they talk about how they shot that Ouija board sequence on the commentary--I do love to know how things work.

The main cast was also all on their game as well. Jensen breaks my heart so many times in this episode. And Sam and John continuing to butt heads--Sam telling John to go to Hell at one point--and Dean stuck in the middle even in death really works. Jared really sells Sam's growing frustration with John and his growing worry for Dean. And even though I was not too sad to see Jeffery Dean Morgan go, he really ups his game in this episode and that scene between him and Yellow Eyes is one of my favorite JDM scenes he did on the series.

Alright, that's probably enough gushing for now...truly one of my favorite episodes, not only of Supernatural, but would probably make a top ten list of all time TV favorites.

I guess I have to rewatch but I don't mind good talky eps, and this one is that.  I'll have to think on it to figure out why it works so well.  Gives me a reason to rewatch, LOL.  The shot of the coffee cups landing straight up is the example of great luck and having the camera's set up just right.  In the commentary they talk about how amazed they are about that shot and how it adds so much to that scene.  I agree and wonder what are the odds they could repeat that small image which becomes so powerful and adds a wonderful supernatural feel to that moment.

Also Jared talks about his acting choice which would have been a common one and not that powerful, but luckily Manners gave him the better choice.  I think sometimes this is what is missing, having some strong directors that know how to direct.

I love JDM with his last speech with Dean.  Finally saying what he should have said so many years ago.  It showed why Dean should be loyal to his Dad and that the man wasn't a monster.  Of course they had to add the last secret bit, but that moment shows the conflict John is dealing with.  Wanting to protect and just be with his boys and yet knowing he has to teach them so they don't feel the absolute terror he felt when he found out about the supernatural in such a horrible way.  I think sometimes this is the part that people don't get about John.  He was blissful about the supernatural and in an instant it destroys his family. 

Dean also has that experience, but Sam doesn't.  He only known the supernatural through hunting as he really didn't feel the moment of his mother dying as he only experienced it through stories.  This is the first time he has to really deal with his brother being gone with the added weight that Dean wouldn't be in this mess if it hadn't been for him.  Then the added weight that he would only be left with his absent father and one that their personalities clash.  If Dean had died, John would have left Sam alone and Season 2 dynamics would have been changed in a way that most likely the series would have ended in season 2. 

It's why in a way I agreed with John selling his soul.  He knows what the demons are planning, things his sons don't understand especially about Sam, but he is very aware that Dean is the best chance of Saving Sam.  So he shows he loves both boys in the only way he can.  The real problem with abuse is that it is so complicated.  Sometimes the person loves their children way over the top but lack the skills to manage the issues and turns to the demonstrations they had.  Which of course, creates more abuse and damage.  But it will be very hard for me to decide which ep I love more, this one or 'What Is and What Should Never  Be' --  Choices, choices...sometimes I hate that.  :)

ETA:  Trying to figure out how to make my points more clear.

Edited by 7kstar

I guess I have to rewatch but I don't mind good talky eps, and this one is that.  I'll have to think on it to figure out why it works so well.  Gives me a reason to rewatch, LOL.

I think the important thing in that statement is the word good. This show has gotten so very talky, but usually doesn't have anything of import to say anymore. You are so right how this is an example of how talky can also be good. Plus, I would never discourage anyone from re-watching this one.

This is in my top 5 or 10 episodes ranking.

This for me, and please don't throw things at me, is when I was all in because Jensen Ackles reasons. He showed snippets of what he could do in s1 but this was a whole other kettle of fish. It's also such an interesting idea that Sam sort of knew that Dean was floating around out there, at least that's my interpretation.  Tessa was creepy and lovely at that same time.  I loved the script and that we never really know if Tessa is really a good guy or a bad guy or just a matter of fact doing my job guy.  Logically, I knew Dean wasn't going to stay dead, but I sure never thought it would be because Dad made a deal.  And John. You asshole. He burdens his son with a secret so big that Dean's face looks like he'd rather be dead than know that secret.  Thanks, Dad! 

(edited)

I would never throw things at you @catrox14...I have been know to want to throw things at my screen from time to time, though. ;)

I forgot to mention that remember watching the first time and I had a notion that John would be dead by the end of it, but I never in a million years would have thought he would make a deal. And saying all that wonderful stuff to Dean, but then leaving him with such a burden was really the nail in the coffin for me with John. I had found him sympathetic up until that point--there were times when he annoyed me more than others--but that was the moment I stopped really being so conflicted about John. And I agree @7kstar, he was an interesting and layered character--I doubt I would have had feelings one way or the other for him if he wasn't.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

And saying all that wonderful stuff to Dean, but then leaving him with such a burden was really the nail in the coffin for me with John. I had found him sympathetic up until that point--there were times when he annoyed me more than others--but that was the moment I stopped really being so conflicted about John.

I was already most of the way there after John laid the responsibility for Dean dying at Sam's feet, because yup, Dean's current condition was entirely because Sam wasn't cold enough or obsessed with vengeance enough to shoot his own father while his brother was begging him not to and had nothing to do with John not having a good plan to begin with and letting himself get possessed in the first place. Then he topped that off with putting that burden on Dean - and he had to know that Dean would eventually figure out what happened, too... So before dying John made sure to lay a guilt trip and/or a burden on each of his sons. Great job there, John.

I'm going to do a rewatch of this episode this weekend and I'll add some more comments then.

Well a friend did point out that John had just sold his soul and was not really thinking the most clearly.

Still- you brainwash your oldest son into believing the only reason to live was to keep Sam safe and then you tell him "if you can't save Sam you'll have to kill him?" Not your finest work there, John.

On the other hand- I've always thought it a little weird that John was immediately all "gotta sell my soul to save Dean". Why do that? I don't buy the "he's my son" bit.

(edited)

I never thought that John brainwashed Dean, Dean says that Dad didn't even have to tell him, he just knew it was his job. I think that's just part of who Dean is--a protector and big brother--and after he carried Sam out of that fire, he just felt responsible for him. My older sister is somewhat like this and always was, even when we were very small, and my mother never "made" her be the protector of all of us. In fact, my mother used to tell her to let us make our own decisions from time to time.

This is how I saw John's perspective on the deal. Yellow Eyes had just berated Dean in John's body, telling him he was pathetic and John didn't care about him, only Sam--which I would argue is the opposite because I think John's worry over Sam wasn't so much love, but thinking Sam would turn evil, but I digress. Then Sam started screaming at him that he's a selfish bastard--which I don't disagree about, digressing again. I think John was just tired and wanted to give up, and faced with the events of the last few days really saw how much he had screwed up with Dean and decided that he needed to save Dean to make up for some of his past shitty behavior. Ironically, that's what made him totally shitty in my eyes since he may have sacrificed himself to save Dean, but it was for selfish reasons.  And then laid a whole new pile of guilt and responsibility on Dean after he just said he's sorry for putting guilt and responsibility on Dean. Basically, he won a few points and then lost a whole bunch more.

Anyway, I forgot to ask...was this the first we heard of Dean's Family Theme on the soundtrack? When it started playing, I couldn't remember if it started somewhere in S1 or if it started here.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

You know when Dean starts saying the stuff he says? Yeah, I think John brainwashed him.

But I forgot to say that this is a lovely episode all around. Sam knows they have to save what they can of the Impala. Dean trying to come to grips.

(edited)
I never thought that John brainwashed Dean, Dean says that Dad didn't even have to tell him, he just knew it was his job. I think that's just part of who Dean is--a protector and big brother--and after he carried Sam out of that fire, he just felt responsible for him.

I have a pretty cynical view of John at this point.  But I don't think John was purposefully trying to brainwash Dean. It was nasty side effect that started when it was seared into Dean's  4-year-old brain when John shoved Baby Sammy in Dean's 4-year-old arms whilst the house is on fire and Mary is dying, shouting, "Take your brother outside as fast as you can and don't look back! Now, Dean, go!".  Then as John was unable to cope with Mary's death, and he became obsessed with finding the YED along with worrying that Sam is going to go darkside, he began to subconsciously shift the care and feeding of Sammy to Dean in subtle and not so subtle ways.

I think "Something Wicked" is the final tipping point for Dean where his 4 years old to 9 years old mindset became a bad sector in 9-year-old Dean's brain from the shame and contempt John directed at him for not being there when the monster attacked Sam(I'm not even sure a defrag or reformat will fix it ) :(:(.  9-year-old Dean thinks he did a terrible thing and disappointed Dad in the worst way and didn't protect Sam so that becomes 'Sam must now always come first otherwise Dad won't love me anymore and my brother will die if I don't do the job right from now on'. IMO at that point Dean was totally screwed for the rest of his life. spoilers for s9

which is why he can't let Sam die and does an awful thing to Save Sammy, yet again.

I think John loves his sons but I don't think he made the deal solely for Dean's life for solely Dean reasons. IMO John knows he'd never able to kill Sam if push came to shove and like John has done since he put Baby Sammy in 4-year-old Dean's arms, he's shifting the care and feeding of Sam to 26 year-old Dean only now in addition to the care and feeding that he's ALWAYS done, he gets the Save Sam or Kill Sam mission. That just 1000 kinds of fucked up, but then John's a pretty fucked up guy and for me, this was the final straw.  His last act before dying is to shift responsibility on to Dean in the worst possible way.  Fuck you, John Winchester.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I agree that John screwed a lot of thing up, but I also think that Dean takes on some of these things because, in part, it's who he is. I think of Something Wicked as less of a turn to "must always save Sam", but more of a lesson in doing a job and doing it well and also that what they do is important and if you do it only half-assed people die--not just Sammy. Of course, if you add on that Dean seems to be desperate for his father's approval, it even carries more weight. I just never got that "Sam comes first" attitude until after John died. I just feel like that's when Dean decided that he couldn't be separated from Sam and that at all costs he would save Sam--in part from what his Dad laid on him here and in part because Sam's the only family Dean's got left at that point. I don't know, but it seemed to me that focus on saving Sam and the rest of the world be damned started after John died.

I think John loves his sons but I don't think he made the deal solely for Dean's life for solely Dean reasons. IMO John knows he'd never able to kill Sam if push came to shove

It could be that John thinks he can't kill Sam, but I usually view it more as that John knows he can and also knows that Dean will try to save him first. I think, in some ways John is giving Sam a chance here. And I also think that John knows that with Dean alive, Sam has a better chance of not becoming that evil thing. It's like John knows that he will probably push Sam into the arms of his darkness rather than help him to repel it like Dean would. Again shitty stuff to lay at Dean's table, but was probably the best chance to help Sam and maybe the world at large.

(edited)

@catrox14

Now that is very sad. 

I don't have time to really write down what I think, but I do believe John loved both his boys and when you think about his history and the horror he witnessed with his wife dying in such a terrifying way, it makes sense in a twisted sort of way.  I think it is much more complicated than John didn't love his sons, or loved one more than the other.

There was a comic that was endorsed by Kripke but not necessarily true cannon, that showed John aiming the gun at a young Sam and unable to pull the trigger. Remember he really knew what Alstair was planning and kept that tidbit to himself.

I don't think John could kill Sam, and I think he also knew he didn't stand a chance in saving Sam without Dean.  You can see the wheels turning even though Dean is yelling at him to do something and asking don't you even care.  He knows Dean is dying and only trading his life would give Dean a chance. 

I also wonder if he didn't find out that Mary had sold Sam's life in order to bring John back. 

That is why I like this one so much, it really has so many unanswered questions and I take John's last speech to heart , that he really did wish he had time to fix things.  But he also knew how short of time he had been given, and he had to warn Dean.  He didn't have time to explain it because he had kept too many secrets for far too long.  Is John father of the year, never...but I do believe he loved both of his sons and that is the most tragic part of the whole thing.  So much wasted time and bad choices, but isn't that what we do sometimes?

Edited by 7kstar

I'm not even gonna lie, those pics really did make me cry. My gods, look at the Weechester?? Look at him with the gun! And then 26 year old Dean so beautifully broken.  That is some beautiful work by the person that created it. 

(edited)

I find sometimes it is forgotten that John had two choices in the end. Let Dean die and deal with whatever happened to Sam himself, or make a deal to have Dean live, which would have the effect that Dean would have to worry about Sam.

He didn't burden Dean with all this because he was a bad father. He burdened Dean because he had saved Dean. Otherwise, Dean would have been dead and John would have to deal with killing Sam.

I think he made the best choice, maybe because he couldn't face maybe having to kill Sam. Maybe because he had faith in Dean to find another way. Or maybe he was tired. He always struck me as a very depressed man.

Edited by supposebly

Well no. John had a third option: tell Dean everything he'd learned about Azazel's plans for Sam. Instead he says "save Sam and if you can't you'll have to kill him." That's not being helpful. Dean could have dealt with everything better had he known a few facts. But John- being John- didn't feel it necessary to tell Dean because who knows why. Certainly not Dean.

Or he could have still sacrificed himself and thanked Dean and left it at that. Granted it wouldn't have been anymore helpful, but it also wouldn't have burdened Dean with something without actually having any facts to do something about it. I only find John to be a crappy father because he unnecessarily burdened both of his kids with guilt and blame. If he really wanted to protect them, he needed to tell them what was going on so they could do something about it. I do think in his own messed up way, though, he did love them and thought he was protecting them--still doesn't make him father of the year in my eyes though.

• Love 1
(edited)
Yellow Eyes had just berated Dean in John's body, telling him he was pathetic and John didn't care about him, only Sam--which I would argue is the opposite because I think John's worry over Sam wasn't so much love, but thinking Sam would turn evil, but I digress.

I completely agree. It seemed to me that John had little faith in Sam*, or, as I expanded on below, he would have warned Sam and given him perhaps a chance to try to save himself. But it appears that John made up his mind early on that maybe because Sam wasn't like Dean that he was probably going to go evil and didn't bother trying to warn Sam in any way. How much could have been avoided if John had simply said something like "Look Sam, I know I'm hard on you and all of this doesn't seem fair, but there's a reason I'm concerned that you know how to fight these monsters or worried that you'll be on your own at college," (or whatever the circumstance) and then tell Sam why? Sam could've said "that's ridiculous" or denied it, or whatever, but eventually he would've researched and found out something on his own to be better prepared and maybe actually been more of an agent in his own fate. It's no wonder to me that one of the things Sam hated most was feeling like he had no control over his own life, and he tried to get that feeling of being in control elsewhere.

Another thing Sam hated was feeling like an outsider (even in his own family), and if that was John's general attitude towards Sam, I can kinda see why. Thinking your son is going to go evil and looking at him through that filter has got to affect the way you treat him and eventually the kid is going to get those vibes even if he doesn't quite understand what those vibes are.

(Which may have inadvertently partially led to Sam feeling "tainted" as a kid as he described it in season 8)

* John's rant in this episode about how he knew he shouldn't have let Sam come along because Sam would just mess everything up further drove that home for me. I never got the vibe that "John loved Sam best" and as you say, I got more the opposite. I more got the vibe that John often thought that Sam was pretty much a hopeless case that maybe not even Dean could save/help.

Or he could have still sacrificed himself and thanked Dean and left it at that. Granted it wouldn't have been anymore helpful, but it also wouldn't have burdened Dean with something without actually having any facts to do something about it. I only find John to be a crappy father because he unnecessarily burdened both of his kids with guilt and blame. If he really wanted to protect them, he needed to tell them what was going on so they could do something about it. I do think in his own messed up way, though, he did love them and thought he was protecting them--still doesn't make him father of the year in my eyes though.

And I think that's the really crappy part right there. We learn in this episode that John had known about Sam "for quite some time now." As I mentioned above, if John had bothered to tell Sam any of this, things might have gone very differently. Sam might have understood his visions and maybe might have been a little more careful about Jessica (she still might have been doomed, but Sam perhaps might have known to at least try and not been so wracked with guilt later). Or he maybe might not have gone off to college in the first place - or at least kept in touch more often. But John's need to keep himself as the only one knowing the information caused all sorts of rifts in the family that might not have been necessary if he had only trusted his sons a little more - especially Dean who was extremely responsible. But despite Dean being so responsible all of those years - and John acknowledging such in this episode - he still didn't see fit to trust Dean with the information he could've used to help Sam - and also insisted Dean not tell Sam, because again, I argue John had no faith in Sam from the beginning.

And actually after watching this episode again, I thought that John had another option... For all of his yelling at Sam about not shooting him (John) and ending it right there, John had the gun and Yellow Eyes right there in the hospital. If he'd planned better (maybe put up some devil's traps in invisible ink or on the ceiling for example), John could've had a shot at killing the demon himself. Yes, that would mean that Dean would likely die, but it would've been over - no Yellow Eyes around to corrupt Sam or whatever John thought the plan for Sam was (we don't know how much exactly John knew). It would've been difficult knowing that Dean would likely die, but arguably not that much more difficult than it would've been for Sam to kill his own father, and that would be Sam directly causing John's death in that case - arguable more difficult - rather than indirectly here. So basically when it came down to it, despite how committed John said he was, John couldn't do what he blamed Sam for not doing either. Once John found out that the gun wasn't going to be enough to deal with to save Dean, killing Yellow Eyes should have been an option. If John wanted Dean back after that, he could've then made a regular crossroads deal and had 10 more years to help his sons fight whatever fallout was coming.

Edited by AwesomO4000

Leaving all the discussion of John's motives and history aside (cause I just don't have the energy to open that can of worms), I love this episode.  

I have to say that I think *how* a person first watches a show plays a large role into their enjoyment or lack there of.  I binge watched Season 1 - 4.10 over a 4-5 week period (yes, I had no life).  Running through it so quickly makes it easier to hand wave and just jump to the next episode when you don't quite like something, and I find that stuff bothered me a lot less cause I could just go to the next ep and move on.  

I remember seeing the finale of Season 1 and jumping right into this episode within moments of each other (cause, WOW, S1 finale and I couldn't wait), and I was really shaken up by this ep.  I think it was the first time I paused in my binge watch and realized that I had something awesome here and I appreciated the directing and acting and really *loved* these characters.  Something about this episode clicked for me and became a milestone in the series that I always come back to.

I didn't get mad at John for giving Dean the warning and I watched the rest of the season so quickly that I didn't get mad about

the 'secret' or feel it was lame as I read so many fans saying after the fact, because there was maybe a day between me seeing onscreen that Dean received a warning/secret from John and then he was suddenly confessing it in Croatoan/Hunted.  I didn't do the whole hiatus waiting to know what it was

, and I think that changes the enjoyment of scenes and plots quite a bit.  

All that to say, my viewing of this episode isn't colored by a hatred of John and I'm glad.  To this day, I think of John as a good man in a crappy situation and he handled it very, very poorly at times.  But what we actually *see* of him onscreen is a loving guy, trying to do right, with more info than he's sharing and whatever that info is/was he's scared to death, and bottom line he loves his boys but he lost his way.
I know the show has gone back and forth and painted him worse then better and its enough to make my head spin, but that is my analogy of him above and its enough for me  ;)

End of the day, he saved Dean's life.  he didn't take the one shot he had (thus ending Dean's life and *maybe* getting to kill YED).  Whether that turns out well is different, but he made that sacrifice for his eldest son and it made for an incredibly enjoyable hour of tv.  Even in its talky and preachy moments, I can't find fault here (except with Sam's hair... can't handle it) ;)

Oh, and I do wish Dean would have heard (and been able to remember) Sam's "we were just starting to be brothers again".  Breaks my heart.

*Looks like I didn't leave all discussion of John aside, lol.  oh well

All that to say, my viewing of this episode isn't colored by a hatred of John and I'm glad.  To this day, I think of John as a good man in a crappy situation and he handled it very, very poorly at times.  But what we actually *see* of him onscreen is a loving guy, trying to do right, with more info than he's sharing and whatever that info is/was he's scared to death, and bottom line he loves his boys but he lost his way.

Reading back through the thread got me thinking I should clarify. John doesn't color this episode for me. I mean, I thought it was crappy he heaped some more guilt and responsibility on Dean, but it was totally in character, IMO. It's hard to watch, but if it was easy I doubt I'd have such an affection for this episode. I don't care for the angst for angst sake we've gotten recently--that's hard to watch too, but for completely different reasons--but I find this episode really balanced everything well and what makes it a stand out for me.

Anyway, I do agree that John loved his boys and did the best he could, even if his best wasn't really all that great sometimes. He was a broken man, IMO, who didn't have the tools to put himself back together.

• Love 2

How tragic, if Sam had shot dad at the end of season 1, dad is dead but demon is dead too and they still have the gun.  Instead, dad is dead, demon is alive, and they don't have the gun.  But that's how it goes to keep a plot rolling and the suspense building.  John defnitely gets Dad of the Year, and I don't mean that in a good way.  Sure he made a great sacrifice for Dean in the end, but if he had been a better dad to Sam and Dean in the first place all of this might have been avoided.  I liked how the grim reaper took on the form of a young hot girl to get in with Dean, very appropriate.  I was waiting for Dean to say at one point, "you really aren't a cute chick, right?"  Dean comes off as a smartass with a little too much testosterone running through his veins much of the time, but one thing Jensen Ackles is really good at is acting raw emotion.  You really feel what Dean's feeling in some of those scenes, like when his spirit is yelling at his dad.

Edit: I just remembered that this is the second time Dean has cheated death (the first in the episode with the faith healer and Rita from Dexter).  I look forward to seeing if the reaper comes at Dean hard with the heavy life debt he has racked up already, lol.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

*I'm just a lonely little petunia in an onion patch, an onion patch, an onion patch*

Continuing my post S11 rewatch. No spoilers (or they will be under a spoilers tag).

Dean 2, Death 0  

I loved Tess.  She knew just how to attract Dean.  She's a smart one. And she said the exact right thing. Where do angry spirits come from?  I know Dean didn't want to leave, but I feel like he was about to say "yes."

This is one of my favorite episodes. Jensen is just spot on in every scene.  His panic, his anger, his broken heart (when his Dad was doing nothing).  And just watching John and Sam fight... that was NEVER going to work without Dean.  I'm so glad Dean got to hear his Dad say he was proud of him. And to hear his Dad apologizing for making him grow up.  John recognized it was wrong for the child to be the one comforting the parent all the time.  A little (ok, who's kidding  a LOT) late but at least he said it. I legit cried.  And Dean look terrified by what John was saying.  OY, THE FEELS.  

The filming was really well done too.  The way Dean appeared in and out without "popping" in.  Just a shift in POV.  That was cool.  And that shot with the coffee cup landing and slow mo spilling while Sammy rushes to his Dad.  It felt so real. Like how everything seems to slow down in a car crash.  I feel like Sam will remember that moment FOREVER.  I noticed John had blood on his shirt that I didn't remember.  I wonder what the official cause of Death was.  I also like the voiceover on the black screen. Very chilling.

One thing I couldn't get out of my mind: don't go to THAT hospital.  They lost 3 people in one morning. A nurse, some kid, and Dean/John.  Keep driving down the road for the next hospital is my advice.  

Such a good episode. Overwhelmed with FEELS.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Even though I hate the term "feels", I'm right there with ya @SueB

5 hours ago, SueB said:

Dean 2, Death 0  

Heh, poor Death, his scorecard, when it comes to Dean, isn't really one to take home and frame. ;)

5 hours ago, SueB said:

One thing I couldn't get out of my mind: don't go to THAT hospital.  They lost 3 people in one morning. A nurse, some kid, and Dean/John.  Keep driving down the road for the next hospital is my advice.  

Except, the nurse and kid weren't real...right?

Still though, one should avoid mental hospitals masquerading as regular hospitals. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
18 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Even though I hate the term "feels", I'm right there with ya @SueB

Heh, poor Death, his scorecard, when it comes to Dean, isn't really one to take home and frame. ;)

Except, the nurse and kid weren't real...right?

Still though, one should avoid mental hospitals masquerading as regular hospitals. ;)

Wow.  I never thought of that.  You could be right.  Fascinating. 

(edited)

Yeah, I always assumed those were just Tessa messing with Dean because he calls her out on the other things she says, "It's my sandbox, I can make you see whatever I want." But now I'm not sure if some of it was real...?

Edited by DittyDotDot
On 6/19/2016 at 9:29 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Yeah, I always assumed those were just Tessa messing with Dean because he calls her out on the other things she says, "It's my sandbox, I can make you see whatever I want." But now I'm not sure if some of it was real...?

I always thought it was used to get Dean in line so Tess could get to know him in a way that he might accept her.  Since he could see her in action...some may have been real, but it's another one that they leave open and never truly explain. 

The cool shot about the coffee wasn't totally planned.  Jared was suppose to drop the cup, but it landed straight and they decided to use that shot.  Just goes to show how lucky accidents can really help any shows on film.  Of course, once I found that out I couldn't get it out of my head.  lol.

• Love 2

Ha! All the times I've watched this episode, I never questioned it! I saw the glass break (and it was very dramatic), but it never occurred to me that it shouldn't be in a hospital room.

Edited by auntvi

...I bought season 2. I've owned season 1 for like 6 years, but never bought anymore and now....Just when I think I'm out they pull me back in.

I'll say what I said in 2006 - They're orphans!

I don't know who puts in the best work here. Sam's desperation. Dean's fear and anger. John's quiet, gentle goodbye to his sons. Frederic Lane's debut as the YED was good. 

Funny line from commentary - Jensen: How deep can two actors' voices be? - oh, the irony from the future.

It's just such a great, beautiful episode. There's no wasted moments. Great acting, Jensen in a single layer, the beautiful scene of the coffee cup and Sam's slow motion screaming. It's just so good. Such a solid story and a great transition from season to season. Possibly the best season premiere of the series.

• Love 4
On 07/07/2014 at 12:09 AM, catrox14 said:

I just came across these on tumblr. I didn't cry. ....

tumblr_mx6idkqBOJ1qezb5do1_r1_500.png

tumblr_mx6idkqBOJ1qezb5do2_r1_500.png

i doubt it, but do you have the link?

-------

*sam and john are arguing*

dean: "STOOP IT!!!!!"

*glass crashes*

*sam and john look over and shut up*

poor dean, he has to still be the peacemaker even in the afterlife.

also i'm going to steal an idea from SweetOne

when sam woke up (i wonder is him waking up before everyone else mean anything? is he stronger than both or just a coincidence?) and croaked for his father and heard nothing, and then called for his brother bit sounded even more terrified than for john and shouted his name again. jared pulls it convincingly, and it's written perfectly because that's an actual real sibling reaction. i remember when i was really in deep with my fear of cars (i had two car accidents) i was convinced there would be an accident at any point, but even for my fear there was this one time i thought we were going to crash for sure and my first thought was to reach over and protect my older/oldest brother, so it isn't unrealistic for sam to react that way with dean. it really shows that tight sibling bond and just how much closer they are than with their father. 

jensen's closeups went up 1000% from last season and that isn't a mistake for sure, lol.

"We were just starting to be brothers again..." a line that sticks in my head even now. i think this is the first time sam verbally expresses love for dean (to my memory anyway) so that means a lot. 

Edited by Iju
9 hours ago, Iju said:

when sam woke up (i wonder is him waking up before everyone else mean anything? is he stronger than both of just a coincidence?)

I think he woke first because he was less injured originally than either John or Dean by the YED but who knows.

2 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

I think he woke first because he was less injured originally than either John or Dean by the YED but who knows.

he was in the front of the car like john so i would've know about that, but your guess is as good as mine.

4 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

I think that is the reason also. Dean had been tortured by the YED while he was possessing John so that explains his injuries. Also, when Sam & Dean found John in the apartment complex guarded by the demons he was unconscious and apparently had been possessed for a while. Add to that getting shot in the leg right before the wreck. Sam's injuries were mostly superficial as compared to Dean & John's. Nothing to do with him being the stronger out of the group IMO.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Nothing to do with him being the stronger out of the group IMO.

But of course we could never know, he could turn out to be SuperSam in later episodes or seasons, lol!

15 minutes ago, trxr4kids said:

But of course we could never know, he could turn out to be SuperSam in later episodes or seasons, lol!

Spoiler

Like the ridiculousness of SuperSam in Red Meat :(

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

I think that is the reason also. Dean had been tortured by the YED while he was possessing John so that explains his injuries. Also, when Sam & Dean found John in the apartment complex guarded by the demons he was unconscious and apparently had been possessed for a while. Add to that getting shot in the leg right before the wreck. Sam's injuries were mostly superficial as compared to Dean & John's. Nothing to do with him being the stronger out of the group IMO.

Yeah, Dean and John are barely alive in the car as it is, and the truck hits from the passenger side where John is sitting. Makes total sense that Sam would be the least injured of them all.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

Yeah, Dean and John are barely alive in the car as it is, and the truck hits from the passenger side where John is sitting. Makes total sense that Sam would be the least injured of them all.

Which just somehow goes to prove Sam shouldn't drive and needs a haircut. I think even half dead Dean could of out maneuvered demon truck driver, my theory is Sam's hair got into his eyes so he didn't notice the giant truck. ; )

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Iju said:

he was in the front of the car like john so i would've know about that, but your guess is as good as mine.

IMO, Sam was in the best spot to avoid more serious injury. John was on the side that got hit. Dean was asleep in the back and was tossed around. Dean was likely already gravely injured from Azazel and the collision just further damaged him.  Sam was further from impact and was IMO actually protected by the steering wheel. IIf they would have been hit head on then I think Sam would have been in worse shape.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

IMO, Sam was in the best spot to avoid more serious injury. John was on the side that got hit. Dean was asleep in the back and was tossed around. Dean was likely already gravely injured from Azazel and the collision just further damaged him.  Sam was further from impact and was IMO actually protected by the steering wheel. IIf they would have been hit head on then I think Sam would have been in worse shape.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

well that makes more sense than what i have at least. it was just a guess of mine tbh, maybe it's more of a reach than a theory lol

I had to skim comments cause their are some spoilery observations, so sorry if I repeat anything.

This episode got mentioned multiple times as an example of the best Supernatural has to offer, so I was excited to watch it, and even waited until morning to watch it. I can see why it garners so much praise. It was awesome. Funny and sad and compelling. 

There were some great moments. The ouija board scene was amazing. They played off each other so well. I loved the concept of the reaper, and thought it was done perfectly. She wasn't bad or good. I couldn't help but think that their mom's spirit remaining means she said her boys needed her and she wasn't wrong. Awww

This was obviously an emotional episode. The scenes where Sam is talking to unconscious Dea and where John is talking to Dean were pitch perfect.

Overall, the episode was one of those rare episodes of a show where everything comes together perfectly. 

Now onto Season 2, which I understand is something to look forward to.

• Love 4