Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

I was trying to decide who was dumber Drake or Geoffrey Charles, then Drake won by a landslide, only to be outdone by Ned and Ross.  It's a good thing Dwight and Caroline have functioning brain cells.

Demezla, stop giving that bitch chances.

Ross would not have won that argument in parliament so easily.  To much money is on the line, and human greed trumps just about everything else.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 14

MVP was Caroline for forcing those men to sign a document that they found nothing. Second was that miner (whose name escapes me, but he’s been solid for the series) for helping Demelza gain the confidence to deal with the forgeries. Would love to see Tess hang! Third was John Conan for being a cutie pie!

• Love 13

Drake...dumb

Ned...dumb

I was only half paying attention to this episode but it looked like Ross was being dumb too. Also demelza for giving that dumb girl another chance (we gotta be close to double digits at this point).

George up to his evil ways again.

Basically everyone was being dumb this episode except dwight and caroline. I feel like i need to go back and watch the episode again though (and this time pay attention). 

So the bond villain turns out to be (i had to google it) merceron???...who i think we've only met once back in episode 1...i think?? Wasn't he one of the first people ross talked to about getting justice for ned???? All these political men are blending together. I can no longer remember who's who. 😛

• Love 5

Damn, I never thought Drake was bright, but when he apprached John Conan's granny and matter-of-factly asked for Morwena's maternal rights to be restored, I was actually hollering with laughter. Last week, I said Ned was too dumb to live. Drake is too. How many times is this that he's been trampled by the local aristocrats for appearing to get above his raising, as my own Granny would say, and he never learns?

I thought this episode was kind of meh. Not the worst Poldark I've seen--I know he's dead, but anything that is mercifully absent of Hugh is a good episode in my book--but also definitely not the best. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I forgot to mention - Ned is a hypocrite.  When he told Kitty, "You are my wife.  You stay."  My only thought was, "Punch his lights out Kitty."  This was true of a lot of abolitionist.  They were against slavery, but did not see the slaves as equal to whites, and women of any color were not considered equal to men.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

What Drake did was stupid, but at least in the end it warmed Morwenna's heart, to the extent that she was moved to make love to her husband.  So, I'd say Drake got what he'd been longing for--a wife in every way.

I loved Caroline finally putting down Horace (I hope the dog was running around and getting some exercise) and doing something useful.  I think her jealousy of Kitty spurred her on. 

Demelza has been stupid regarding Tess, but I liked that she gave her a good talking to and brought up the prospect of hanging. 

Speaking of hanging, I'm just waiting for Ned to hang.  Good riddance to him if he does. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

The nasty Warleggans are back.  I am sorry to see the end of vulnerable George.  The character was much more interesting when going through his mental problems and I am missing ghostly Elizabeth.  Now we're back to his only mission in life which is to "get Poldark."  Dwight looked surprised when Cary turned on him.  If Dwight thought that the Warleggans would feel gratitude toward him for curing George, he doesn't know those two.  Loyalty and gratitude are not in the Warleggan dictionary.

It was as if we saw two Carolines in this episode.  The first one was jealous of Dwight's admiration for Kitty and the second one was the smart and self-confident woman we have known throughout the series.  I hope the second one is back to stay.  I'm happy they finally gave her something interesting to do this season.

In previous episodes I thought that Merceron was likely the unknown enemy.  When they kept showing only the back of his head, I figured it had to be someone we knew who they thought of as a friend.  Now it's up to Ross to figure it out but first he needs to find the common sense he seems to have lost this season.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Popples said:

I didn't think anyone could actually hear me when I yelled the exact same thing.

I was yelling right along with you! I wonder if everyone gets smarter next episode.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I was yelling right along with you! I wonder if everyone gets smarter next episode.

I hope they do.  I would say they couldn't get dumber, but they will.  I hate when in order to move the plot along, the writers can't figure out anything else to do except make all the characters be idiots.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

So what happens to John Conan when grandma dies?  Will Morwenna then be able to have her child?  I did like that the grandmother's face softened when she saw Morwenna saying goodbye to him.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Possum said:

In previous episodes I thought that Merceron was likely the unknown enemy.  When they kept showing only the back of his head, I figured it had to be someone we knew who they thought of as a friend. 

I have no idea who he is but I'll just go with it.  All these men look alike.

I agree everyone had a case of the stupids.  Even though Dwight and Caroline recovered sooner he was stupid to think the Warleggens would be grateful and she was stupid to think Dwight was enamored of Kitty.  Loved how Caroline told Dwight he would be of more use helping Ross and then how she out maneuvered the men ransacking Ross's apartments.

Drake.  Really?  Did he actually believe he could get away with kidnapping a child?  

Geoffrey Charles.  Really?  Did he actually think Hansen would approve of their engagement?

I can't wait to see Tess arrested.

So what happens to John Conan when grandma dies?

I'm sure she'd have a guardian named in her will.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

So what happens to John Conan when grandma dies?

I'm sure she'd have a guardian named in her will.

That's why I posed the question even though I didn't explicitly mention a guardian.   I just wonder who that would be.

• Useful 1

At that time, if a child had inherited a lot of money (as John Conan probably would), a guardian would mostly be responsible for the money, and would presumably hire someone to take care of the child.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Some slimy relative, no doubt. 

Yes, unfortunately, I don't think Morwenna will ever get her son back.  I do expect that she'll get pregnant with Drake's child(ren) now that they're having sex, but not having her first child will forever haunt her.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
On 10/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, nara said:

MVP was Caroline for forcing those men to sign a document that they found nothing. Second was that miner (whose name escapes me, but he’s been solid for the series) for helping Demelza gain the confidence to deal with the forgeries. Would love to see Tess hang! Third was John Conan for being a cutie pie!

My MVP for the episode was Zacky Martin for the win!!  He set loose the dragon that is a pissed off Demelza.  Ned is too stupid to realize that people are trying to get him arrested again.  Ross, listen to your friend Dwight, Ned's plight will bring everyone down with him including your wife and kids.

Why did George feel the need to bring Valentine to London?  Thankfully, we didn't get to see Morwenna and Drake consummate their marriage, we've had enough of that when Ozzie was alive.

Drake, what the fuck were you thinking kidnapping a child??  

• Love 3

Good gods am I tired of Ned and all the alleged intrigue by mostly interchangeable evil dark-haired men.  The showrunners do know this is the show's last season and that we might have been more interested in seeing the characters we've been watching for five seasons wrap up their stories in a satisfying fashion, right?  Because it doesn't feel like it.  It's Ned being a tone-deaf dumbass followed by more Ned being too stupid not to have been hung before now while mostly interchangeable evil dark-haired men plot endlessly now with restored evil George.  Ned's like that one drunk guy who hits on one clever comment and then just keeps repeating it and repeating it until you just want to slap him.  I know I wanted to slap nearly everybody first in the salon scene where Dwight and Ross were both urging him to keep his voice down shouting about the mad king and then at the tavern where everybody was practically yelling about overthrowing the monarchy.

Caroline finally remembering that she's smart and fabulous was about the only saving grace of this mess.  Dwight's forever in the chorus of being disappointed that people aren't better than they are or in Ross's case, not acting like he maybe has a brain in his head and that he might want to try using it before Ned succeeds in getting them all brought up for sedition or treason.  But kudos all the same to Caroline for reminding him that while it's all very well and good to be frustrated with Ross, it would be more useful to actually do something about it and then following through to foil the dumbest setup ever.

Otherwise yeah, it was mostly a race to the bottom of an endless well of stupidity.  Drake has never been the brightest taper in the candelabra but ye gods, what was he thinking marching up to Mama Whitworth and just asking hey, you won't mind if we take the kid Morwenna effectively abandoned back, will you? and then just outright snatching him like no one will notice that he's suddenly taken up residence on the poor side of the village?  Does Drake not remember his every previous encounter with rich people?  Not even touching the logic of getting closure in this mess suddenly curing Morwenna of years of trauma over sexual abuse so she can immediately think about getting frisky.  Geoffrey Charles legally has a family estate but no fortune or means or prospects of income, but sure, why not clue your intended's rich asshole father in that you were planning to elope.  Ross actually had the high ground in his Parliament speech, but then just couldn't help himself yet again making it all about good old Ned.  Ross, everyone except maybe Horace is telling you that it's way past time to dial back the Ned friendship.  Maybe give it a thought.

The Warleggans have always been pretty one note when they go full villain but putting racial theory of the day in George's mouth was seriously unpleasant.

• Love 8
On 10/28/2019 at 3:17 PM, Ohwell said:

So what happens to John Conan when grandma dies?  Will Morwenna then be able to have her child?  I did like that the grandmother's face softened when she saw Morwenna saying goodbye to him.  

Good question.  That moment when Granny, who surprisingly seemed to have a human emotion for once, may be the beginning of the arc of restoring John Conner to his birth mother. Ozzie's mom, stuck by Morwenna"s sadness at the loss of her child, will gradually prove that she has a heart. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The showrunners do know this is the show's last season and that we might have been more interested in seeing the characters we've been watching for five seasons wrap up their stories in a satisfying fashion, right? 

Please!  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

the dumbest setup ever

I had to laugh when the treasonous pamphlet fell out of Ned's pocket in oh-so-timely fashion. If the plotters are going to be so ham-fisted about the setup, they deserve that.

• Love 2

I did think that the controversy regarding coins vs. paper currency was interesting.  I could certainly understand back then the mistrust/uncertainty over paper.  However, Tess & her crew took advantage of that mistrust, and I hope they hang for the forgeries. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Tess & her crew took advantage of that mistrust, and I hope they hang for the forgeries. 

I don't think they should hang for this one-time offense, but Tess better scramble and make sure there are no more errant forged bills in play, otherwise she'll swing.

What I'm curious about is why is Tess so against Demelza?  She was impudent from the start and it seems like more than just envy or jealousy.  She seems to think Demelza is all high & mighty, when she's the exact opposite.  She pre-judged Demelza despite Demelza's attempts to change her lot in life by offering her work. Yet, when unobserved, Tess checks out Demelza's dresses and even intimated to Prudie that she could be the mistress of the house.  Well, which is it?  Is Demelza acting above her station and if she believes so, why covet Demelza's life?

I have no clue if Tess started the fire, but it appears that she was the one.  But why?  She's working a farm and given food and a roof over her head, why destroy that?  Tess, is just a plot-foil to make Demelza's problem-solving capabilities more apparent.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

I don't think they should hang for this one-time offense, but Tess better scramble and make sure there are no more errant forged bills in play, otherwise she'll swing.

Maybe she/they shouldn't hang for a one-time offense, but I think there are more forged bills around.  I don't know what it is about  Demelza that makes Tess hate her so much, but another reason I mentioned hanging is that, for whatever reason, Tess is dangerous and she's surrounded by a dangerous crew.  Who knows what else she has in store for Demelza, Ross, and the children?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Who knows what else she has in store for Demelza, Ross, and the children?

That's where Demelza and surprisingly, Prudie come in.  Prudie used to have the same regard for Demelza as Tess, but since then, she's now protective of the kids.  If Tess wants trouble, Demelza and Prudie are on their guard.  If they want, they could convince the other miners that Tess is making trouble and preemptively strike.  Ross already warned her that he is not as forgiving as Demelza is and he will deal with her and she won't like the results.

• Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, Ohwell said:

If I were Tess, I'd be most afraid of Prudie.  😱 

LOL, Prudie always seemed to come out on top of her fights with Jud.  I'm sort of torn about Prudie.  I don't really like her as she seems very judgmental.  I disliked her ratting out Ross kissing Elizabeth without having all the details.  Her distaste for Kitty seems purely racial, again with the Coloreds (or Africanus Niger) trying to rise above their station.  Prudie sees Demelza, Caroline, & Kitty pal around and still thinks Kitty should be excluded from polite company.  She should at least try to talk to Kitty. I guess her behavior serves some purpose, although what that purpose is, I have no clue.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, Alistaire said:

She believed she could seduce Ross, and when Ross dissed her, that, I think, doubled her malignant hatred of Demelza. She's another great, extremely simple-minded, character this season. And dangerous.

This is an interesting angle. What did Tess do, in your eyes, to indicate she wanted to seduce Ross? I never got the impression that Ross was of any interest to her. To me, her animosity began and ended with Demelza declaring that she would try to find work for the miners. For some reason, Tess felt the need to open that damn mouth of hers that sows bitterness.

Tess did seem to entertain the notion, although I think it was more about the idea of being "mistress" than anything at all having to do with Ross himself.  I can't remember if it was the second or third episode where we got the scenes of her rummaging through Demelza's things holding up recognizable past gowns and when Prudie called her on it she said something about how circumstances could change.  I remember thinking then that she was doing a very good impression of a woman looking to wear a Demelza skin before it was all over with.  After that, I want to say there was at least a scene or two of her making eyes at Ross and simpering in his direction, which of course he brushed off, although it mercifully wasn't something the show lingered on much.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

I can't remember if it was the second or third episode where we got the scenes of her rummaging through Demelza's things holding up recognizable past gowns and when Prudie called her on it she said something about how circumstances could change.  I remember thinking then that she was doing a very good impression of a woman looking to wear a Demelza skin before it was all over with. 

Yes, that's the impression I got too.

I'm still surprised that it took Demelza so long to get a clue about her.  If not for the forgeries, she would probably still be trying on Demelza's dresses. 

17 hours ago, Alistaire said:

I understood the scene with Ross to indicate that she realized she would never be able to seduce him.

How odd, I took that scene as a totally menacing tone towards Tess. They first passed each other by, I don't remember if Tess said anything to indicate interest, but I do remember Ross turning around and calling her name.  Then he read her the riot act. She might have had to change her nappies after that. 

• Love 1

I fast-forwarded a lot of this episode as I don't really care about most of the new characters.  I did like that Dwight pointed out to Ross that while Ned pulled him out of the battle and got him to safety, it was actually Dwight who saved his life.  Ned is tiresome.  Don't care.  New villain?  Don't care.  Adored Caroline's quick thinking.  And, most of all...they at least mentioned Wilberforce's name once regarding his activities on abolition (albeit in passing [and barely audible]).  

Morwenna and Drake are not interesting to me.  I guess I'm missing the earlier seasons of this show.

• Love 3

Is it my imagination or did they use two different children to play John Conan? I know with children that age they usually use twins but to my eyes these two were noticeably different.

Go to the book threads to find out the real story of Morwenna!