Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: The Price You Pay

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Frank works to vindicate Detective Douglas McKenzie, a detective accused of using excessive force. Also, Danny and Baez track down the killer responsible for the death of a rapper's bodyguard; Jamie is skeptical about a relationship between Espinoza and a new rookie officer, Sarah Brooks; and Eddie goes undercover to help Erin investigate a mysterious cult.

3 story lines are just too many for my tired brain to follow on a Friday night. I just could not follow Danny's case *at all.* Ugh--stupid end of week brain drain. It was more interesting than Frank's dumb case! I guess there were 4 cases.

• Love 2

I only paid attention to Frank's storyline when I saw the detective was played by Mike from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. When he said his wife and kids were suffering, I kept thinking no you are with Titus. Then I spent the rest of the time wishing that Titus would show up, because that would have made this episode way more entertaining for me. 

12 minutes ago, rhys said:

3 story lines are just too many for my tired brain to follow on a Friday night. I just could not follow Danny's case *at all.* Ugh--stupid end of week brain drain. It was more interesting than Frank's dumb case! I guess there were 4 cases.

I agree.  I wasn't sure what was going on in any of the story lines except Jamie's and I guess the Eddie and Anthony case was a knock off of the Allison Mack sex cult thing.  4 stories at the end of a long week is too much.  I never had any trouble following what was going on in seasons 1-7.

And why did Eddy have to wear that stupid wig to go under cover ?   I thought it was setting up for it to fall or get pulled off and expose her. Finally she goes undercover and doesn’t tell Jamie? Such poor writing 

• Love 11

Danny's story: Boring once again.

Frank's story: NOt really sure what the point was to that whole thing.

Erin and Eddie's story:  Eddie forgets her story at the first question cult guy asks her.  Then they break the undercover thing pretty much immediately when she sees the best friend. And, all it took was a quick talk to get the cult member on their side.  Way too easy.

Jamie's story: Say what else you want about Frank.  He does not show favoritism to anyone in his family.  And neither would Jamie.  He would never tear up a rip(?) for Eddie. If she thought it was unjust, he would tell her to fight it herself and be generally supportive (assuming he also thought it was unjust).  Jamie was right.  His boss wasn't doing that girl any favors.  I think that was the best story of the week, which isn't good because that was kind of weak.  I think I kind of made a pun.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, mojito said:

What a snoozer. No wonder Nicki is moving to San Fran. Even sitting at the supper table has gotten boring.

Speaking of Nicki and the supper table..........did anyone notice the way Nicki was holding her fork?   I can't go back and check because I deleted it from my DVR the second I finished watching and on demand does not allow FF.    I thought I saw Nicki holding her fork in a fist like someone  who was barely civilized. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Speaking of Nicki and the supper table..........did anyone notice the way Nicki was holding her fork?   I can't go back and check because I deleted it from my DVR the second I finished watching and on demand does not allow FF.    I thought I saw Nicki holding her fork in a fist like someone  who was barely civilized. 

I saw that! Very poor table manners.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I saw that! Very poor table manners.

Thank you!   I dislike Nicki so much that I couldn't be sure if I really saw it or was just projecting something negative because I can't stand her.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, milner said:

And why did Eddy have to wear that stupid wig to go under cover ?   I thought it was setting up for it to fall or get pulled off and expose her. Finally she goes undercover and doesn’t tell Jamie? Such poor writing 

I was waiting for the big dramatic conversation between Eddy and Jamie about going undercover, and for Eddy to mention that Jamie had gone undercover. I was dissapointed this didn't happen. 

The series was great with three stories each week, but changing it to four stories per week has not been an improvement. There's always one storyline that suffers due to lack of time. 

There are allegations of excessive police use of force all the time, but I have never heard of protesters showing up at an officer's place of residence before. Maybe that has happened before in real life, I don't know, but the point is, for that to happen, the allegation against the officer must have been really, really bad. So why can't we hear what the officer was alleged to have done? What was the evidence that exonerated the officer in the eyes of Frank and IAB, but not the judge and the public?

The idiotic writers don't tell us because they are unwilling or incapable of showing any nuance. Nothing is shown from the protestors' point of view because the audience cannot be allowed to feel one ounce of sympathy for them. The protesters are plainly horrible people because they should accept that the officer was completely cleared by Saint Frank and the NYPD. Of course the police would never, ever cover up misconduct by one their own officers so what is there to protest?

The underlying message here is that whenever you see people protesting - say an unarmed black teenager that was shot a dozen times by a police officer who was subsequently cleared by the department and D.A. - you can just ignore it because clearly the protestors are unjustified and only doing it for publicity and because they hate the police.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Rambler said:

The idiotic writers don't tell us because they are unwilling or incapable of showing any nuance.

They don't show any of that because they don't have time to show it.  They've got 40 minutes to tell 4 stories and the mandatory dinner scene.  You can't tell a story with any depth in that amount of time.  In the early seasons the show used to focus on 1 or 2 stories per episode which meant that Jamie and Erin were barely in some of them, but some of the plots spanned several episodes.  That was a better formula for a show with this many characters.

35 minutes ago, AnnA said:

What is she doing?  And why?

I've noticed her doing that in almost every episode.  It's weird.

• Love 3

I sorta hold my fork like Nicki does but I wrap my fist around the fork more. I'm a righty, so I cut with my right hand & use my left to anchor the meat. Then eat with my left. I think it's called continental. But Nicki 's fingers were wrapped more delicately or something. My fingers definitely look more fist like. But I keep my tines down like she did.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, rhys said:

I'm a righty, so I cut with my right hand & use my left to anchor the meat. Then eat with my left. I think it's called continental.

I am also right handed and I do the same thing, as well as eating with the tines down. I keep my fork in my left hand and knife in my right while eating. If I am not cutting anything with my knife I use it to push food on my fork (tines down).

Is Nicki going to stay gone or will some ridiculous reason bring her back?

Edited by Misslindsey

I love how everything Frank says nowadays is just so, so douchey. Like when Jamie asks him his opinion about the captain possibly using his position to sleep with a rookie officer, Frank says it's a bad thing, but "especially in this day and age." What the what? When was that EVER okay, Frank? 

Selleck has just too much control over Frank's characterization. He has him so crotchety nowadays. 

• Love 4
On 10/25/2019 at 10:44 PM, rhys said:

Yes there are always 4 storylines. This week was Franks detective fiasco, Erin/Anthony/Eddie cult leader, Jamie and his boss and then Danny/Baez and the rapper.

I agree. Too many story lines each week. All we're left with a a bunch of one dimensional characters with no lives outside the NYPD/DA other than once a week family dinners.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JayDub said:

I agree. Too many story lines each week. All we're left with a a bunch of one dimensional characters with no lives outside the NYPD/DA other than once a week family dinners.

And yet they still pay Grandpa Teeth, Danny's one line a week son, and useless Nicki. Why?

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I used to love this show and it was at the top of the list when I was catching up on my DVR'd shows.  After the 1st episode this season, they all seem like a snoozefest and I can't even remember what any of them were about.  Maybe it's time for a Reagan farewell dinner? Or at least more engaging stories.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

As long as she wasn't pointing it at anyone, or using it in an offensive manner, I don't see the big deal.

It's only a big deal to anyone who cares about making a good impression and adhering to social norms.   In Nicky's case, she is about to enter the business world.   If she is ignorant of the proper handling of utensils, she will be excluded from business dinners.  I can't imagine a boss wanting an employee to have dinner with a client if they can't hold a fork properly.  

ETA:  I'm right handed and hold my fork tine down in my left hand when cutting food with my right.    However, I take the fork back into my right hand to eat.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3

I wonder why would Frank watch KHL hockey game between Akbars (Kazan) and Kunlun Redstar (Bejing) during his final conversation with Jamie? Does it mean he is under russian and chinese influence? ))

I personally think that was the show video editors' joke.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, AnnA said:

ETA:  I'm right handed and hold my fork tine down in my left hand when cutting food with my right.    However, I take the fork back into my right hand to eat.    

I've never understood that. It's inefficient.  Hold your food down with your fork in your left hand, cut with your right, and then lift up your fork to your mouth with the left hand that is already holding your fork.  It's more efficient, and less chance of dropping something.

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I've never understood that. It's inefficient.  Hold your food down with your fork in your left hand, cut with your right, and then lift up your fork to your mouth with the left hand that is already holding your fork.  It's more efficient, and less chance of dropping something.

It may be inefficient but that's really not important.  She'd have less chance of dropping something if she ate with her hands.    I just want to be sure that I don't look like Nicki when I'm eating.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

10 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's not inefficient; it's considered to be polite. This harkens back to the days when dinner was a social event that lasted a couple of hours and included conversation and fellowship. So pains were taken to slow down the consumption of food so that the present company might enjoy the pleasure of your presence for as long as possible. Plus, the action of laying down the knife when not in use was also considered a hallmark of trust and friendship. Most Americans dine by using this "polite" method (although some don't), but the Europeans tend to stick to the other way, the "efficient" way, as you call it. I'm not picky about my dining companions' choice, just so long as I am not treated to a view of their partially masticated food because they're talking with food in their mouths and they don't blow their noses at the table (with a cloth napkin, no less!). Sami Gayle was probably bored silly in that scene and/or trying mightily not to puke up whatever dreck she's having to force down for the 19th time because someone keeps fucking up their lines (not Selleck, though; he's got cue cards stashed all over the place). Or she's from the planet Romulek and that's how they hold their utensils. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

If you tied me down, I could not tell you what happened in Danny’s story this week. Absolutely no idea.

Nicki looks like her arm is twisted backwards. There is no method of eating I am aware of that resembles that. 
You know what really drives me crazy—people who use their fingers to push food on their fork. Ugh. 

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, GussieK said:

If you tied me down, I could not tell you what happened in Danny’s story this week. Absolutely no idea.

I think it had something to do with a rapper and a bodyguard.  That is pretty sad. It's been less than a week.

7 hours ago, GussieK said:

You know what really drives me crazy—people who use their fingers to push food on their fork. Ugh

Yeah, if you're going to do that, you might as well eat with your hands.

• Love 1
On 10/28/2019 at 4:37 PM, Ebau said:

It's not inefficient; it's considered to be polite. 

But it's not impolite to use the fork that's in your left hand to insert the food into your mouth. Like I posted above, it's called something (continental maybe? I can't recall). Anyway, it's how I was reared & how we reared our kids. 

• Love 1
On October 30, 2019 at 3:52 PM, Katy M said:

Yeah, if you're going to do that, you might as well eat with your hands.

On October 30, 2019 at 8:42 AM, GussieK said:

Nicki looks like her arm is twisted backwards. There is no method of eating I am aware of that resembles that. 

Nicki looked ridiculous.  I'm surprised the show let that make it on air.   It totally erases the notion that Erin taught Nicki any social graces at all.  

ETA:   I just looked at the picture Preeya posted again and even "rough and tumble" Danny has better table manners than Nicki. 

Edited by AnnA