Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

ElectricBoogaloo

S06.E01: Artificial Lack of Intelligence

Recommended Posts

Quote

Richard discovers his promise that Pied Piper won't collect user data is under threat; Jared longs for the past; Gilfoyle gets creative in dealing with Dinesh.

Promo:

Original air date: 10/27/19

Share this post


Link to post

I kind of get that Jared has to feel needed, to help the socially awkward.  He found one at the end who was even more awkward than Richard.

These guys are idealistic, have certain principles or at least talk like they do.

But the show has been about these guys stumbling, repeatedly passing up big money to stick to their principles.

They all have character quirks which need to be mocked, made into comedy.  But it’s somewhat disquieting that they’re basically “good guys” who are being lampooned.

To be sure Gavin is a bad guy and he is also getting mocked.

But most people in tech startups are pursuing riches, not some ideals.  They could have made the characters greedy instead, certainly far more deserving of being laughed at.

I’ve enjoyed the series but Judge is making fun of guys who want to do good, not just pursue huge wealth.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Taking a year and a half off for the final season of a show that was already woefully behind the times during its previous season was a really bad idea. It seriously felt like a new episode of Entourage dropping in 2019.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I’ve enjoyed the series but Judge is making fun of guys who want to do good, not just pursue huge wealth.

Anyone can make fun of greedy SOBs ... it takes a special genius to make fun of the idealists.  

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Taking a year and a half off for the final season of a show that was already woefully behind the times during its previous season was a really bad idea. It seriously felt like a new episode of Entourage dropping in 2019.

When they were doing the “Previously on...” I kept thinking “Man, it’s been so long I don’t even remember that part” on a couple of things. 

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

It feels a bit like a different show, doesn't it?

Their success was kind of hard to watch, in that all of the characters felt very far apart in terms of their relationships. Everyone kind of "drifted". Pied Piper becomes the typical corporate structure. It made me sad, actually.

Bighead never joins the group. He continues to be off on his own wacky adventure, this time with Jin Yang. These guys are basically being used as a prop so that Jared can find the next "Richard Hendricks" to nurture.

I'm curious to see where all of this leads. They are exploring not only the darker side of tech but the darker side to success as well. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Guess I'm odd man out as I enjoyed the premiere. The preview looked pretty funny too and it will be interesting to see how they end this show. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

Its been so long since I watched the show, I had to read a few recaps to even remember what happened last season. I thought it was a decent premier, although its certainly a good time for the show to end. Now that the guys have made it, they dont seem to really know what to do with them. I got a few laughs, but its clearly passed its glory days. 

Everyone has a Gabe in their office. I think more than a few people wish they had an AI to deal with them. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Its been so long since I watched the show, I had to read a few recaps to even remember what happened last season. I thought it was a decent premier, although its certainly a good time for the show to end. Now that the guys have made it, they dont seem to really know what to do with them. I got a few laughs, but its clearly passed its glory days. 

Everyone has a Gabe in their office. I think more than a few people wish they had an AI to deal with them. 

They really haven't made it though.

They don't have to live at Erlich's old house but Richard has passed on several multimillion offers.  I think the last one was $10 million or was it $100 million.

In any event, Dinesh is excited about possibly going to Hawaii.  Well most engineers in the valley could easily afford a Hawaiian trip.

From the previews looks like they're going to continue the joke with Richard rejecting $1 billion.

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Everyone has a Gabe in their office. I think more than a few people wish they had an AI to deal with them. 

It's not that hard to build a basic chat bot, and there are plenty ready-made options for Slack, FB Messenger, etc. There's still nothing that I know of to fake in-person conversations though, which is the worst thing about dealing with "Gabe" types. 😄

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2019 at 7:59 AM, MaggieG said:

There truly is a Gabe in every office

LOL, it totally reminded me of this guy who apparently clipped his toenails in his cubicle.  

I was dead at the wearable chair though....OMG

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Man, Gabe is THE WORST. There was a guy who used to take his shoes off and then walk around the office and every time I saw him doing that, my immediate reaction was EWWWWW. I mean, I hope you enjoy taking all of the dog feces cooties that are probably on the bottom of people's shoes and now on the bottom of your feet/socks back to your house.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Man, Gabe is THE WORST. There was a guy who used to take his shoes off and then walk around the office and every time I saw him doing that, my immediate reaction was EWWWWW. I mean, I hope you enjoy taking all of the dog feces cooties that are probably on the bottom of people's shoes and now on the bottom of your feet/socks back to your house.

Ugh yes. The main thing for me was the "Can you resend me the blah blah report? I don't want to look through all of my emails." I'm currently dealing with that with a coworker and it drives me nuts

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Ugh yes. The main thing for me was the "Can you resend me the blah blah report? I don't want to look through all of my emails." I'm currently dealing with that with a coworker and it drives me nuts

Have you tried reminding your coworker that every email client has a search functionality?

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was enjoying the show up until the point when Guilfoyle shrugged off the collection of user data. It was so out of character that it completely pulled me out of viewing mode and into critical mode.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Have you tried reminding your coworker that every email client has a search functionality?

Some people are just lazy. I usually just resend the email that I've sent them last time so that it is obvious that they already have the information - and I especially enjoy doing that when they send their request with other people in cc and pretend that it is oh so urgent or make it look as if I forgot to send the info.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Some people are just lazy. I usually just resend the email that I've sent them last time so that it is obvious that they already have the information - and I especially enjoy doing that when they send their request with other people in cc and pretend that it is oh so urgent or make it look as if I forgot to send the info.

I do the same. I forward my previous response so that the date stamp from the last time I sent it is there as a reminder that HELLO, I already sent this to you!

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

We’re we supposed to infer that Jared has fallen in love at the end? 

No, he found the next socially awkward techie who he wants to help turn into a successful startup CEO.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/1/2019 at 10:35 AM, chocolatine said:

No, he found the next socially awkward techie who he wants to help turn into a successful startup CEO.

Yeah- it felt like a pilot for Silicon Valley Rebooted.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/31/2019 at 9:21 AM, chocolatine said:

Have you tried reminding your coworker that every email client has a search functionality?

Or, since they know your name, they can just sort the emails by name.  If it's been recently sent.....the email will be right there.  

I'm sure the counter argument is that it's so much easier just to resend it, but then that meant that you have to do the work of finding the old email. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/31/2019 at 9:38 AM, MaggieG said:

Ugh yes. The main thing for me was the "Can you resend me the blah blah report? I don't want to look through all of my emails." I'm currently dealing with that with a coworker and it drives me nuts

On 11/1/2019 at 7:57 AM, Aulty said:

Some people are just lazy. I usually just resend the email that I've sent them last time so that it is obvious that they already have the information - and I especially enjoy doing that when they send their request with other people in cc and pretend that it is oh so urgent or make it look as if I forgot to send the info.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:25 PM, RealReality said:

Or, since they know your name, they can just sort the emails by name.  If it's been recently sent.....the email will be right there.  

I'm sure the counter argument is that it's so much easier just to resend it, but then that meant that you have to do the work of finding the old email. 

The thing is with assholes like this is that they just can not be bothered. They do not give a shit that you have a million things to do and that having to resend every email twice might inconvenience you is not on their radar.

They are also the first ones to complain if you do not make everything they do a priority. They force you to resend email but complain if you do not immediately jump to one of their requests and are usually good about wrapping the managers around their little fingers.

I once had a coworker who would always submit his requests in the last minute and then insist that he be put at the top of my queue so HE would not miss any important deadlines.

The worst part is my manager always enabled his behavior because she was intimidated by HIM.

So he would give me a shit ton of work to do with impossible deadlines at the last minute, meanwhile I am building a backlog of unhappy people who are getting punished for submitting their stuff in a timely manner and taking it out on me. This would put my stress level through the roof.

Needless to say, that I happily left that job when the opportunity arose. My idiot manager could not understand why I was frustrated.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size