Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: But the Righteous Will See Their Fall

• Start Topic

Damn, Jesse made sure that if he went down, he was taking everybody with him.

Everything with Uncle Baby Billy had me rolling. As soon as Tiffany picked up the gun, I knew she would accidentally shoot Scotty. I thought it would be Amber when they revealed her armory, but that was for Jesse's ass.

Poor Keefe.

• Love 12

Wow, what didn't happen in this episode?!

Scotty's victory ends up being short-lived, after he gets into a car wreck with.... freaking Uncle Baby Billy!  So, now he and Tiffany have all of the Gemstone money instead.  Oh, and Tiffany accidentally shoots Scotty in the head and Baby Billy does the worst job ever at trying to hide the evidence.  The entire thing was close to perfection.  Walton Goggins and Valyn Hall/Tiffany were spectacular here.

Meanwhile, Gideon covers for Jesse and hides the whole "bribing dad with his drug infused sex tape" thing, so Eli and Amber think he was just simply trying to steal the money, and gets disowned.  This leads to Jesse actually feeling guilty, so he does the most natural thing possible: invites his yes man and their families to his house, confesses everything, and has them all watch the tape in the media room.  All while talking about how "brave" and "noble" he is for doing so.  And it all ends with Amber shooting him in the ass with one of her rifles.  Ha!

Look out, BJ's going crazy with the earring, saying "shit" and "fuck", and the extra ketchup!  Judy's meltdown over everything was both hilarious and sad somehow, because while she is clearly a disturbed individual, you get the sense that she's just been sheltered to the point that she never knew how horrible her behavior has been.  I don't blame BJ if he still never wants anything to do with her, but I... I don't know, I feel for her.

But the saddest part of this episode was Kelvin snapping after everything, and booting poor Keefe.  No, not Keefe!  He looked so heartbroken!  Fix this, Kelvin!  Fix it, now!

The Gemstone kids trying to out-spit each other in front of that pond was hilarious.  The immature sibling dynamics between the clan is so good.

Best episode yet.  I can not wait to see how the finale plays out next week!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 11

Yeah Billy and the gf left all kinds of fingerprints and Billy got the high tide/low tide thing backwards.

Eli seems like a decent man, apart from the televangelist scam thing.  But he’s going to handle the robbery internally?

Seemed like Jesse had Amber pretty gaslit until this episode.  But she was willing to cast out her own sun.  That should have been a clue to Jesse that she wasn’t forgiving him easily.

Judy is sexually frustrated because she happens to love a pious guy but the way her horn dog brothers behave she knows piety is bullshit.

Would Kelvin be accepted if he came out of the closet?  Seems like he would be except Eli would try to hide the info an him.

• Love 5

You know whats a worse idea than cheating on your wife? Cheating on your wife when she is a heavily armed gun nut with a fully stocked gun room! 

Scotty gets away with the money, only to immediately (literally) run into Uncle Baby Billy and get shot to death! That was so darkly hilarious, and its not surprising that Baby Billy and Tiffany really suck at covering up crimes. I mean, the truck is literally right there y'all. Poor Judy, I knew that her hitching her wagon to Baby Billy would be a good idea. 

Oh shit, BJ got an ear piercing! Thats how you know he is in a dark place. Of course Judy lies about how she totally left Uncle Baby Billy and it was her choice, but I still ended up finding her breakdown to be rather sad. 

Jesse feels bad about what went down with Gideon so he decided to come clean which had...predictable results. "I wish I had someone to be upset with me."

The real tragedy here? Kelvin kicked poor Keefe out he was so upset! Not Keefe, he looked so heartbroken! He better make things right with him ASAP!

The Gemstone kids are all so petty and immature together, it never stops making me laugh. 

• Love 13

I'd have to say the penultimate episode was one filled with come uppances.

Scottie got his, for robbing the church, by getting his van accidentally rammed by Baby Billy, and getting hurt in the process, then accidentally shot to death by Kimberly. Jesse got his, for cheating on his family with coke and hookers, by getting shot in the ass by Amber (very appropo). Gideon got his, for trying to blackmail his father in the first place, by being disowned from the family, and Judy got hers, for treating BJ like shit and then getting dumped by him, by going on a lunatic spree at the supermarket, then getting thrown in jail.

Meanwhile, Kelvin is shit for the way he treated Keefe, and Eli looks as if he's about to have a nervous breakdown of his own.

All of which makes next week's season ender most eagerly awaited. Especially in what could happen with Baby Billy and Kimberly in the way they handled the van and Scottie's corpse, and how they kept all the money. But, as someone pointed out, those coins Jesse and his crew threw into the pond may end up implicating them for a crime they didn't commit. Fun times, in store.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, scrb said:

Would Kelvin be accepted if he came out of the closet?  Seems like he would be except Eli would try to hide the info an him.

you're presuming he is in the closet

I want to feel sorry for Judy but she is such a horrible person like her older brother. I feel like Kelvin has a good heart but never had a chance with those two as elder siblings.

Judy has been horribly spoiled by her father as evidenced by the flashback birthday party, but I really do not understand why Eli does not let her participate in the Gemstone ministry in front of the camera? Eli was very progressive in his view of his wife, particularly when compared to Baby Billy who only thinks about himself. So, I really do not understand why he is keeping his almost 40 year old daughter out of the loop.

Judy throwing a tantrum when BJ would not take her back was very much what a spoiled brat would do when they do not get their way. I was impressed that he did not take her back. I think she has a sadistic streak of wanting to dominate him because she feels like the men of her family bully her.

WG is one of the best comedic actors working today and I hope he at least get nominated for an Emmy.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, qtpye said:

Judy has been horribly spoiled by her father as evidenced by the flashback birthday party, but I really do not understand why Eli does not let her participate in the Gemstone ministry in front of the camera? Eli was very progressive in his view of his wife, particularly when compared to Baby Billy who only thinks about himself. So, I really do not understand why he is keeping his almost 40 year old daughter out of the loop.

I think he keeps Judy at arms length because she reminds him too much of his wife.  Aimee-lee was a much better person than Judy but Judy is talented like her mother.  I think he kept Judy from performing during the church broadcasts to protect himself from seeing his daughter shine just like her mother.  It was just too painful for him.

When Baby Billy talked Judy into performing with him, Eli was furious because he knew Billy would manipulate Judy the way he had Aimee.  Billy repeatedly broke Aimee's heart and Eli could not stand to watch him break Judy.  However, when Eli stood in the back of the theater and watch Judy shine just like Aimee-lee he was so proud of her.  Watching her shine like Aimee-lee brought so much joy to him.  Hopefully Eli and Judy can talk about how Baby Billy manipulated her and he can share how Baby Billy had done the same thing to Aimee-Lee.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Man, Amber legit shocked me in this episode. Talk about a 180. I expected her to keep on with her delusions as when Nancy first brought up the guys’ e-mails. Her walking out of the house with her shotgun and calmly taking Jesse down was a thing of beauty.

WTF was Levi’s reason for banding with the married guys to cover their shit up anyhow? Come on, dude. It’s not like you have a Mandy at home who will call you Shrimp Dick. Go, Mandy!

Right as Tiffany shot Scottie it hit me that up until that point he’s been like a horror movie villain, he was just springing back up like a demented Jack-in-the-box. Maybe he passed on the baton to Tiff and Uncle Baby Billy. Seriously, not even an injured old dick from that crash?

On 10/7/2019 at 7:44 PM, tennisgurl said:

You know whats a worse idea than cheating on your wife? Cheating on your wife when she is a heavily armed gun nut with a fully stocked gun room! 

Hey now, he said he was only doing cocaine with crack chasers. His narration of the video was my favorite part of the really rich episode. That’s Gregory attempting to do cocaine. And that’s Matthew successfully doing cocaine.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:47 AM, MrWhyt said:

you're presuming he is in the closet

I’ve been presuming the same since the premiere. Only I originally thought he and Keefe were lovers, now I think he’s in denial.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I think he keeps Judy at arms length because she reminds him too much of his wife.  Aimee-lee was a much better person than Judy but Judy is talented like her mother.  I think he kept Judy from performing during the church broadcasts to protect himself from seeing his daughter shine just like her mother.  It was just too painful for him.

When Baby Billy talked Judy into performing with him, Eli was furious because he knew Billy would manipulate Judy the way he had Aimee.  Billy repeatedly broke Aimee's heart and Eli could not stand to watch him break Judy.  However, when Eli stood in the back of the theater and watch Judy shine just like Aimee-lee he was so proud of her.  Watching her shine like Aimee-lee brought so much joy to him.  Hopefully Eli and Judy can talk about how Baby Billy manipulated her and he can share how Baby Billy had done the same thing to Aimee-Lee.  

When Baby Billy told her she did not have the looks or talent to make it in show business, I really felt bad for her. I imagine Baby Billy was sweet as sugar to Aimee Lee when her needed her and easily threw her to the side when he did not. He likes to blame Eli instead of looking at himself and I would not be surprised if Aimee-Lee and their parents enabled him along the way, thinking they were being kind.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5

Can someone enlighten me about why Jesse felt the need include his buddies in his confession? If his goal was to clear Gideon, he could have easily accomplished that by only showing the tape to Amber.  She would have likely been so embarrassed that she would have not told the other wives.  Seems the more people who know about it, the more word is likely to get out about the tape (definitely to fellow church members and probably the public at large).  I suppose he would have had to confess to Eli as well, but Eli seems especially adept at keeping problems in the family.   

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Can someone enlighten me about why Jesse felt the need include his buddies in his confession?

IMO - it is because Jesse is ultimately a selfish person.  This is not a redemption show.  Not one of these characters with the slight exception of Kelvin have any redeeming qualities.  They are all "sin" personified.  And I LOVE that!!

• Love 8
On 10/11/2019 at 12:55 AM, Bulldog said:

Can someone enlighten me about why Jesse felt the need include his buddies in his confession? If his goal was to clear Gideon, he could have easily accomplished that by only showing the tape to Amber.  

1)

On 10/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, LBS said:

IMO - it is because Jesse is ultimately a selfish person. 

2) He's also a showman. 

• Love 1