Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

I know talk has been floating around about Classic Who coming to Pluto TV but it's finally here. When I looked yesterday Planet of the Spiders was playing.  I'm not sure I like the way they are all over the map with what series they show but I can see watching once in awhile.  And it's free, so there's that. 

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pluto-tv-adds-a-24-7-classic-doctor-who-channel-antique-roadshow-channels-from-the-bbc/

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/doctor-who-classic 

• Love 1

Minor (from my foreigner POV that is) award news. The Eastern Eye ACTA Awards (awards British Asian talent in the arts) awarded Vinay Patel Best Screenwriter for Demons of the Punjab and Mandip Gill for the fan-voted People's Choice Award in acting

Also, the Gold Derby TV Awards (https://www.goldderby.com/) nominations long list is out and you can vote for Doctor Who in various categories, though you need an account. Categories:  Supporting Actor - Drama (Bradley), Drama Actress (Jodie), Drama Series and Drama Episode (Rosa)

46 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Music? Spoken word? Both?

In other news, Sean Pertwee hints that Doctor Who may have approached him. Would he pop up as a original character? Or would he follow his father Jon in playing the Third Doctor? If you've never seen him (particularly as Alfred Pennyworth in Gotham), there's more than a passing resemblance.

For the album, sounds like music, specifically cover songs. I didn’t know some of these people can sing assuming they can

As for Sean, he has apparently said in the past that he doesn’t want to play the 3rd Doctor, but he wouldn’t be against doing something on the show

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Music? Spoken word? Both?

In other news, Sean Pertwee hints that Doctor Who may have approached him. Would he pop up as a original character? Or would he follow his father Jon in playing the Third Doctor? If you've never seen him (particularly as Alfred Pennyworth in Gotham), there's more than a passing resemblance.

Yeah, he looks like his dad. But doesn't sound like him. Still, sometimes it's more about how you say something than the voice itself.

I haven't seen much that Sean Pertwee has been in, but I remember a few years ago he played a guest role in The Musketeers, and I was fairly blown away by how strongly he channelled his dad for the role. If anyone could pull off the 3rd Doctor, it's him. But I agree that he'd more likely play a new character, if he guested in Doctor Who.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Llywela said:

I haven't seen much that Sean Pertwee has been in, but I remember a few years ago he played a guest role in The Musketeers, and I was fairly blown away by how strongly he channelled his dad for the role. If anyone could pull off the 3rd Doctor, it's him. But I agree that he'd more likely play a new character, if he guested in Doctor Who.

He also played Alfred in the Fox series Gotham which just ended I think

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-stars-jodie-whittaker-and-david-tennant-to-record-songs-for-children-in-need

Another little tease of the Children in Need album with video of Jodie about to rehearse. Suranne Jones did a previous tease. Can these people actually sing? Can Jodie? What the heck is Jodie saying in that clip?

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

So, I don't feel bad now about buying the 9/10/11 Doctors on dvd recently (to replace my digital dvr rips).  There's definitely still a use case for physical media - especially when streaming rights go to services that I have no interest in subscribing to. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/doctor-who-hbo-max-streaming-rights-1203288093/

HBO Max is stepping into the world of Time Lords, sonic screwdrivers and the TARDIS.

The forthcoming WarnerMedia streaming platform has acquired the exclusive streaming rights to “Doctor Who,” with all 11 seasons of the historic BBC series coming to the service upon launch in spring 2020. The news comes as part of a deal with BBC studios which means the streamer will be the home of future “Doctor Who” seasons after they air on BBC America.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, tessaray said:

So, I don't feel bad now about buying the 9/10/11 Doctors on dvd recently (to replace my digital dvr rips).  There's definitely still a use case for physical media - especially when streaming rights go to services that I have no interest in subscribing to. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/doctor-who-hbo-max-streaming-rights-1203288093/

I saw that and was surprised but it’s good for them I suppose. But at least it will still have a streaming home. For me, it means I have to finish streaming Tennant and Smith’s eras on Amazon Prime before Spring of next year. I’m still on the fence about subscribing to any streaming service beyond my original Big 3 of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Also interesting that this deal includes a lot of other British shows on the BBC. But it doesn’t include Classic Who, which is still on the US version of Britbox I guess

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

I appreciate the coverage major shows get when they move services these days. I don't miss going to Netflix and finding my show will disappear in a week or so. Prime was even worse, shows would just disappear - there one day, gone the next.

I do wish all the Doctors were together on one service though.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:45 PM, Anduin said:

Yeah, he looks like his dad. But doesn't sound like him. Still, sometimes it's more about how you say something than the voice itself.

I think there are moments when he does sound like him. 

The Hugo Awards were held this weekend and sadly the show didn’t win for its category Best Dramatic Presentation - Short Form. It was won by NBC’s The Good Place “Janet(s)” episode

3 hours ago, Anduin said:

Terrance Dicks has passed away. 😞 He was a writer and script editor during the 70s and 80s. Also wrote more DW novelisations than, I think, everyone else put together.

Really sad news. I grew up reading his novelisations - our bookshelves were full of them, they were my introduction to the eras of the show that came before I was born. A true legend in the Whoniverse. Rest in peace, 'Uncle Terrance'.

RIP, Terrence Dicks.  A great writer and such an important person in the history of Doctor Who.  I saw him at a convention once though I regret not getting the chance to speak with him.

The Third Doctor era is one of, if not my favorite era of Doctor Who.

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/jodie-whittaker-and-doctor-who-receive-four-bafta-cymru-nominations

Doctor Who received 4 BAFTA Cymru nominations, for programs produced  and/or broadcast in Wales:

Outstanding Actress: Jodie Whittaker

Excellence in Production Design: Arwel Wyn Jones

The show itself for Outstanding Television Drama

Outstanding Special and Visual Effects: Season 10’s The Doctor Falls’ production team - apparently eligible because there weren’t enough nominees in 2018

The awards will be given out Oct 13

Edited by DanaK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7464325/Doctor-star-Christopher-Eccleston-reveals-battle-anorexia-drove-suicide.html

9th Doctor Chris Eccleston is coming out with a new memoir and The Daily Mail printed some excerpts from a copy, where Chris talks about suffering from anorexia during his time on Who. He was also diagnosed with severe clinical depression after his divorce. and contemplated suicide during the filming of The A Word

His book, I Love the Bones of You, will be out September 19

Lady Cassandra O’Brien a.k.a. Zoë Wanamaker has submitted an original piece of artwork to the Heart Research UK Anonymous heART Project.

Her piece will be auctioned on eBay from 4th-13th October to raise money to take on heart disease.

Get you live auction alert here: https://heartresearch.org.uk/events/the-anonymous-heart-project/

We've sent out hundreds of our A5 postcards to artists, celebrities, high profile names and our creative supporters, and we've had some fantastic artwork back.

The twist? Though the list of artists is available to all bidders, the artist of each individual piece is kept anonymous. You won't know whose artwork you've bought until it's delivered. Let the guessing games begin ...

Everything raised in the auction will be invested in pioneering medical heart research, making hearts healthier in local communities, masterclasses for clinicians and driving innovative education in schools.

Zoë Wanamaker a.k.a Lady Cassandra has submitted an original piece of artwork to the Heart Research UK Anonymous heART Project.

Her piece is up for auction on eBay from now until the 13th October to raise money to take on heart disease.

Available here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/heartresearchuk_shop

We've sent out hundreds of our A5 postcards to artists, celebrities, high profile names and our creative supporters, and we've had some fantastic artwork back.

The twist? Though the list of artists was available to all bidders, the artist of each individual piece is kept anonymous. You won't know whose artwork you've bought until it's delivered.

Let the guessing games begin ... can you guess which is Zoë's? See the image for a clue ... 

Everything raised in the auction will be invested in pioneering medical heart research, making hearts healthier in local communities, masterclassses for clinicians and driving innovative education in schools.

Lot No 241 - Nuf Said (close up 1).jpg

Edited by HeartResearchUK

The only member of Coldplay I know by name is the lead singer Chris Martin and I don’t really know their history. But I have found I really like some of their songs, especially Fix You, which I find so absolutely touching and emotional. It was pretty cool that two members of the band played for Jodie’s recording

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/itv-bbc-channel-4-unite-launch-uk-streaming-service-britbox-1249868

The Britbox streaming service has officially launched in the UK. It is a partnership with ITV and BBC, and will include programming from Channel 4. It will include all available episodes of classic Doctor Who (I think the article says as of Dec 26 [Boxing Day])

Britbox has been available in the US for a couple of years now

Edited by DanaK

Jodie is set to appear on The Graham Norton Show Dec 6. I don’t know when it will be broadcast

For American viewers, AMC’s The Talking Dead will reportedly talk about Doctor Who news next Sunday. A little odd but AMC does co-own BBC America with the BBC