Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Normally I admire Krystal's hustle and determination, but it was shitty of her to sell the diamond from the ring that Cody gave her. First of all, she dumped him so she should give the ring back. And it's not some generic ring he bought at the mall. His mom said that ring had been in her family longer than Florida had been a state. I know she doesn't love him (or his mom), but that was a shitty thing to do.

But Obie did the one thing that would incite Krystal's highest level of anger, so I can't wait to see what she does next!

• Love 4

Cody turned his own father in. Explains why he want see his own son. If Cody could turn his own dad in how is he going to react when he finds out Krystal sold the ring? That she bugged him? I guess not well. 

Well on the bright side when the relationship ends he will get his money back. It took Krystal not Obie or FAM for his mom to cut him off. 

Obie asking Cody if he would kill for him or give his life. Spoken like a true cult leader.  Speaking of acting like you are in a Cult Ernie is gone man. He is so lost. Poor Bets. At least she knows something is up. 

I think it was a bit crappy of Krystal to sell the ring. Even worse did she keep the money? No she turned around and used it for Splashercise. I said this before she is just as obsessed with it as the others are with Obie. 

I don't think yet she has recorded enough to use against Obie. 

Next season has to be a new scheme I assume. They can't stretch this out much longer. It is already starting to feel like the show is spinning it's wheels a bit.

Good acting though from Theodore Pellerin in the tent scene. 

• Love 6

Ernie and Bets were  the most genuinely nice people on the show so it makes me sad to watch their relationship crumble like this due to Ernie becoming a full on FAM man. The truly sad thing is seeing that he whole heartedly believes everything that he's saying, that he is so close to succeeding, that he's helping these people, etc. He has bought into the BS so much that he can't see how utterly hopeless the situation is.

And poor Bets. I can't imagine what it must feel like to watch the person you love the most in the world turn into this pod person whose only priority is selling FAM crap. Adding insult to injury was Ernie telling her to stop using all of her regular products so they could buy more FAM stuff. When she pointed out that FAM doesn't make the face cream she uses, I was like OH NO HE DIDN'T. It's bad enough for him to tell her to stop using the stuff she normally has (like dish soap) but personal hygiene products are where I would definitely draw the line between "this is a pain in the ass and nonsensical but I'm trying to be supportive" and simply GTFO. I'm pretty low maintenance with that kind of stuff but do not tell me I have to use your garbage lotion or shampoo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

It sounds like Obie is screwing over Krystal and Cody is fine with it so I don't feel sorry for him. I am afraid he is going to harm her if Obie tells him to.

Ernie has gone nuts, his poor wife.

I hope the reporter made it out okay.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

It sounds like Obie is screwing over Krystal and Cody is fine with it so I don't feel sorry for him. IY am afraid he is going to harm her if Obie tells him to.

Ernie has gone nuts, his poor wife.

I hope the reporter made it out okay.

Yea the tape recording cut out right after that part and some of me is hoping we get a twist or something but yea Cody will harm Krystal it seems. He and Ernie both have just become brainwashed idiots. Sigh. 

I feel like this show started as a dark comedy bit has now turned into a dark drama.  They even did a Soap Opera moment with I do not like your poor girlfriend so I am cutting you off lol. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 4

The truly sad thing is seeing that he whole heartedly believes everything that he's saying, that he is so close to succeeding, that he's helping these people, etc.

On some level he must have his doubts because he is lying to his wife about the fact that he quit his job at the water park. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

The thing about Ernie is that he’s going to be physically harmed on Obie’s orders.  He doesn’t have permission to translate those tapes, is not authorized to be the public voice of FAM (even to the Spanish speaking community), and he is pocketing all the money from the tapes.

Perhaps Codsworth will be pulling the trigger?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

he thing about Ernie is that he’s going to be physically harmed on Obie’s orders.  He doesn’t have permission to translate those tapes, is not authorized to be the public voice of FAM (even to the Spanish speaking community), and he is pocketing all the money from the tapes.

I thought it was terrible (for those he's selling) but kind of ironic that Ernie had succeeded at least temporarily where Krystal failed to translate a side hawk into the Garbeau system where he actually WOULD make money. I think Ernie, with his depression in the 90's, was uniquely primed to receive the MLM message that it's all on you you just have to try harder to help yourself and therefore help your downline, he never seemed to want for more money or think the dollars were the answers to his problems, he is feeding off the idea of a community of shared success, and weirdly feeling in control of his fate when it couldn't be less true. So yeah it makes it super super sad, and I'm worried that he'll lose Bets and his "real" family and won't even care, before it's too late. Hopefully she and Krystal and Mirta can bring Obie down, but even that might not shake Ernie loose, without resulting in prolonged depressive crash. 

I have to assume we are headed for some showdown between Obie/Cody and Garbeau and the hints about Bridges challenging him. Perhaps Krystal goes to him if the Mirta expose doesn't get her her revenge. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, revbfc said:

He doesn’t have permission to translate those tapes, is not authorized to be the public voice of FAM (even to the Spanish speaking community), and he is pocketing all the money from the tapes.

True about permission, but I believe he said that though they had to buy the official FAM tapes, the translated ones were free. So no money to pocket.

I do hope Bets puts the brakes on Ernie. I felt so bad for her when she discovered they were not doing something exciting like going out to eat or bowling, (and she had very modest expectations) but to a FAM meeting!

• Love 6

I did feel like it wasnt cool that Krystal was selling Cody's ring, especially because he really does seem to be in his version of love with her, but its also possible that he is going to hurt her on Obies orders, so I cant feel TOO bad about it depending on how this goes. Good lord Obie is a scary son of a bitch, the whole sweat lodge scene couldn't have screamed CULT louder if he handed Cody a pitcher of Kool-Aid. I mean, "would you give your life for me, would you take a life for me?" is absolutely deranged, and poor dumb Cody is so brainwashed that he would totally do it. Over fucking cleaning products! Would he actually hurt Krystal, or just cut her out of her Splashercize business? 

Poor Ernie and poor Bet, she just wanted to go to Olive Garden, and instead gets to watch her husband spiral further into the FAM cult, becoming a person she hardly even knows anymore. Its terrible, but his depression (especially in a time and place when mental illness wasnt discussed openly often) made him such an easy target for FAM and its message of community and meaning in life. He seems to really believe that this is a great thing he is doing and that he is doing a huge favor for all of these people, promising them the American Dream, when its all so obviously going to lead down a bad path. Bet already seems to see this for what it really is, but Ernie is too far into the thick of it. Of course, he is also lying to his wife about quitting the park, so maybe even he realizes that he needs to show some actual results before he tells her about that. 

One of the most insidious things about FAM is that, like any cult, anyone who so much as questions anything supreme leader says or is at all questioning of the cult, is instantly labeled as bad and wrong for having even a second of doubt and gets the hated "Stinker Thinker" label or whatever so no one, even anyone who does have doubts, feels like they cant have even a slightly differing opinion or they face being ostracized and abused. It also allows them to shake off anyone asking obvious questions and making any sense as downer thinkers and that their criticism should be instantly ignored.

• Love 5

I don't get the sympathy for Cody he is a rich snot who used his inherited wealth to bankrupt Krystal and Travis and led to Travis' death. FUCK THAT GUY. I was thrilled she robbed him it's the least he deserves. 

Edited by blixie
  • Love 5
On 9/30/2019 at 12:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ernie and Bets were  the most genuinely nice people on the show so it makes me sad to watch their relationship crumble like this due to Ernie becoming a full on FAM man. The truly sad thing is seeing that he whole heartedly believes everything that he's saying, that he is so close to succeeding, that he's helping these people, etc. He has bought into the BS so much that he can't see how utterly hopeless the situation is.

And poor Bets. I can't imagine what it must feel like to watch the person you love the most in the world turn into this pod person whose only priority is selling FAM crap. Adding insult to injury was Ernie telling her to stop using all of her regular products so they could buy more FAM stuff. When she pointed out that FAM doesn't make the face cream she uses, I was like OH NO HE DIDN'T. It's bad enough for him to tell her to stop using the stuff she normally has (like dish soap) but personal hygiene products are where I would definitely draw the line between "this is a pain in the ass and nonsensical but I'm trying to be supportive" and simply GTFO. I'm pretty low maintenance with that kind of stuff but do not tell me I have to use your garbage lotion or shampoo.

I totally agree. I am medium maintenance, I guess - I have a skin care regimen and as a Black woman with natural hair, hair care products matter. Tell a natural/curly woman that she has to use some FAM bullshit and see what happens.

I feel so bad for Ernie, and low-key mad at Krystal for getting him involved in this fuckery. I feel worse for Bets because Ernie can't see the forest for the trees and he actually believes he's helping, and Bets has to watch her husband spiral.

And I'm team "It Was Fucked Up for Krystal to Sell the Diamond."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blixie said:

I don't get the sympathy for Cody he is a rich snot who used his inherited wealth to bankrupt Krystal and Travis and led to Travis' death. FUCK THAT GUY. I was thrilled she robbed him it's the least he deserves. 

I agree. I don’t think he is sympathetic at all. He now knows it’s a scam and is still going along with the system.

I do think the actor and Kirstin D should get nominated for Emmies. Cody’s face is fascinating...nice looking yet homely at the same time.

• Love 8

Regards to Cody I do not think he is a good guy or a hero. Do I believe he was a lonely sad and desperate person who needed to believe in something and someone I do. When people are like that they will do anything to make them feel and belong. So I get why he is attached to Obie and FAM.  Same with his relationship with Krystal she never tells him I Love You back but he needs to believe she does or will one day. He likes the feeling he has when he is around them that is a sad and creepy thing. 

Krystal is like that as well. I say again she should have kept that money for her daughter but she gave it too Splashercise. She believes that Splashercise is her answer.  At this rate they could give her Splashercise at the end of the season and she would stay with FAM because she got what she wanted.  This has too be going somewhere because she talks about that more then she does Travis.  

Edited by ShadowHunter
19 hours ago, Beezella said:

True about permission, but I believe he said that though they had to buy the official FAM tapes, the translated ones were free. So no money to pocket.

He was charging his Spanish speaking downline five dollars cash for the tapes, I'm guessing he's not sending that to Obi. 

16 hours ago, qtpye said:

I do think the actor and Kirstin D should get nominated for Emmies. Cody’s face is fascinating...nice looking yet homely at the same time.

They've both been great in this. One minute Cody is adorable, the next he's a smarmy salesman. It IS fascinating. 

Also, poor Codsworth Bonar, no wonder he goes by Cody. 

I wonder why the one henchman was ironing money in Obi's office. Krystal definitely noticed. 

• Love 1

He was charging his Spanish speaking downline five dollars cash for the tapes, I'm guessing he's not sending that to Obi.

Plus they literally can't use the English speaking ones so it's bit of a dodge and smart one. He's moving the "Obie" tapes but only because he's giving out free translations. 

Edited by blixie
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, blixie said:

Plus they literally can't use the English speaking ones so it's bit of a dodge and smart one. He's moving the "Obie" tapes but only because he's giving out free translations. 

If he charges a little extra for purchasing the tapes and a small copying fee, Ernie has accidentally hit on the scheme that is making Obie all his money. 

• Love 2

I have so many questions about the whole deal with Cody's father. Why would Cody keep trying to visit with his father in prison if he's the one who sold him out to the feds? The time they showed he told the guard that his father would want to see him, but why would he think that? And if Cody feels that his father stole from the family, why is he so desperate to see him? It's not like he could build a down-line in prison.

It sounds like the money is from Cody's mother's side of the family, then again his father could have pissed through his own money then went after his wife's; the mother's attitude of "that ring's been in the family longer than Florida's been a state" makes it seem like she comes from "old money."

• Love 1

This show is starting to lose me. With the teepee-sauna thing set in (what looked to me to be) a sound stage, it felt like a super low-budget production. I also hated that Krystal sold the diamond in order to invest in the waterpark/splashercize- which she clearly sees as easy money, but at $2/head that's hard to imagine- especially since the FAM crowd will no longer be doing it.  She's a smart person and I'd be more inclined to think she'd go get a normal job with good benefits.  I was glad to learn why Cody's dad is in prison, but it showed Cody's morals are inconsistent. The tape recorder in the briefcase was cheesy, too.  I'll keep watching but I'm worried this show has jumped the shark. Hope I am wrong.

• Love 4

Poor Ernie and poor Bet, she just wanted to go to Olive Garden, and instead gets to watch her husband spiral further into the FAM cult, becoming a person she hardly even knows anymore.

I'm beginning to resent the implication that people who go to the Olive Garden are yokels and unsophisticated. It's become a running joke in TV shows and movies. It's sort of short-hand for "rubes." This isn't the first time I've seen it used as such. I know Hollywood writers and New Yorkers look down their noses at people living in square states going to chain restaurants but I'm tired of it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Snewtsie said:

This show is starting to lose me. With the teepee-sauna thing set in (what looked to me to be) a sound stage, it felt like a super low-budget production. I also hated that Krystal sold the diamond in order to invest in the waterpark/splashercize- which she clearly sees as easy money, but at $2/head that's hard to imagine- especially since the FAM crowd will no longer be doing it.  She's a smart person and I'd be more inclined to think she'd go get a normal job with good benefits.  I was glad to learn why Cody's dad is in prison, but it showed Cody's morals are inconsistent. The tape recorder in the briefcase was cheesy, too.  I'll keep watching but I'm worried this show has jumped the shark. Hope I am wrong.

10 grand would be a great nest egg for her and I hate that she gave it over so quickly for Splashercize and a$350 a week job.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mimi said:

I must have missed why Cody’s dad is in prison. Can anyone elaborate?

Money laundering.  Cody admitted to Obie in the sweat-hut that his father tried to steal money from his family, so Cody turned him into the FBI. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm beginning to resent the implication that people who go to the Olive Garden are yokels and unsophisticated. It's become a running joke in TV shows and movies. It's sort of short-hand for "rubes." This isn't the first time I've seen it used as such. I know Hollywood writers and New Yorkers look down their noses at people living in square states going to chain restaurants but I'm tired of it.

I think the joke is that the people think that going to Olive Garden is like going to one of those fancy restaurants similar to what you see rich people on TV go to all the time.

• Love 4

I think the joke is that the people think that going to Olive Garden is like going to one of those fancy restaurants similar to what you see rich people on TV go to all the time.

Yes, I know that's the "joke." Ha ha ha, these rubes think the Olive Garden is fancy. Aren't they stupid? Let's all laugh at them.

I find it rather insulting. That may well be one of the nicest restaurants in the central Florida town they live in and it might in fact be considered a treat on their budget to go there. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, I know that's the "joke." Ha ha ha, these rubes think the Olive Garden is fancy. Aren't they stupid? Let's all laugh at them.

I find it rather insulting. That may well be one of the nicest restaurants in the central Florida town they live in and it might in fact be considered a treat on their budget to go there. 

I not sure why you would be insulted, if the people enjoy going to that restaurant and they think it is fancy, that is all the shows are showing. We know there are fancier restaurants, just make sure you bring a big purse to hold all those unlimited breadsticks.

• Love 3

I believe Ernie said he was taking her somewhere "special", not somewhere "fancy."  In my house "somewhere special" is Texas Roadhouse, because it's everyone's favorite place.   Fun fact:  The very first Olive Garden was opened 1982 in Orlando, near Disney World and Rebel Rapids.  By 1992, there were only around 200 OG restaurants nationwide, unlike the 900 there are now.  

Even still, I don't think Bets' excitement over a potential Olive Garden outing was meant to be offensive to them as uncultured working class Floridians; I think it was to remind us they're regular people and Bets doesn't care a whip about fancy restaurants/being a FAM Millionaire so long as her family's happy and healthy. 

Echoes of Krystal's premiere comments to doomed-yet-awesome Travis:  "THIS [house] is more than I ever dreamed of." / "We don't need a yacht."

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 9/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, ShadowHunter said:

Yea the tape recording cut out right after that part and some of me is hoping we get a twist or something but yea Cody will harm Krystal it seems. He and Ernie both have just become brainwashed idiots. Sigh. 

I feel like this show started as a dark comedy bit has now turned into a dark drama.  They even did a Soap Opera moment with I do not like your poor girlfriend so I am cutting you off lol. 

I love the first few but now I am losing interest in this show. It has been changing for the worse.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2019 at 11:28 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Adding insult to injury was Ernie telling her to stop using all of her regular products so they could buy more FAM stuff. When she pointed out that FAM doesn't make the face cream she uses, I was like OH NO HE DIDN'T. It's bad enough for him to tell her to stop using the stuff she normally has (like dish soap) but personal hygiene products are where I would definitely draw the line between "this is a pain in the ass and nonsensical but I'm trying to be supportive" and simply GTFO. I'm pretty low maintenance with that kind of stuff but do not tell me I have to use your garbage lotion or shampoo.

I can tell you from experience that this scene was 100% accurate.  My dad sold Amway and this was a constant battle in our house.  And it was just like that, that wanting to use a normal brand of ANYTHING was a "lack of support" and commitment.   What I remember most is the disgusting toothpaste that had moss in it.  Moss!  

On 10/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, blixie said:

Agree!!  Cody destroyed her life, and he doesn't care that it's all fake.  He's all in even knowing it's a scam.  Also, he was a complete idiot to give her that ring in the first place. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peach said:

I can tell you from experience that this scene was 100% accurate.  My dad sold Amway and this was a constant battle in our house.  And it was just like that, that wanting to use a normal brand of ANYTHING was a "lack of support" and commitment.   What I remember most is the disgusting toothpaste that had moss in it.  Moss!  

Agree!!  Cody destroyed her life, and he doesn't care that it's all fake.  He's all in even knowing it's a scam.  Also, he was a complete idiot to give her that ring in the first place. 

I am sorry you had to go through this. MLM companies literally destroy everything they touch and wreck people's lives. I hope Ernie gets a clue, because he has the sweetest little family. It is particularly ironic because Amway was supposedly started by ultra religious people who should be beyond base things like money.

I think Cody is a little like that King that abdicated the throne so Queen Elizabeth's father had to take the crown. A rich privileged guy who likes to be dominated and is desperately looking for parental guidance and affection.  I am actually glad that Krystal is cutting into his Obie obsession, since she is probably way less toxic.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I am sorry you had to go through this. MLM companies literally destroy everything they touch and wreck people's lives. I hope Ernie gets a clue, because he has the sweetest little family. It is particularly ironic because Amway was supposedly started by ultra religious people who should be beyond base things like money.

In our case, it was at least short-lived, and my dad was never brainwashed to that extent.  He was not a rah-rah person, luckily.  And our family is quite bonded in our hate of Amway, so I guess God works in mysterious ways!  😄

My dad passed away a couple if years ago. I wish he could have seen this.

• Love 2