Type keyword(s) to search

S09. E10: One Last Con

chitowngirl

Thought it was fairly meh.  Everything wrapped in a nice neat little bow.

Its nice that Harvey can flash back to scenes in which he wasn't involved.

Amy Acker was listed in the guest credits.  Did I blink and miss her?  I presume she was a guest at the wedding, but how could you have her in the episode and not give her any lines (again, assuming I didn't overlook it).

• Love 1

For the last 10 min until the credits rolled all I could think about was, they better not have something happen to that baby! So glad everyone got a happy ending. 

(Although I don't believe for a second Harvey would actually ever want to go work with Mike)

Can't believe how young everyone looked in those flashbacks.

Good series. It will be missed. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

(Although I don't believe for a second Harvey would actually ever want to go work with Mike)

That's more believable than Louis being alone at the hospital.  This is Louis, he would have called Harvey, told him what was going on, and asked him to come be there.  Even if he called, and told them to stay, there's no way they wouldn't have immediately went to the hospital to be there.  You wouldn't have been able to keep Harvey, Donna, Mike, Alex, Katrina, Samantha, Robert, and Lipschitz away from the hospital in that case.

Loved Louis being calm all while Sheila was in labor.  And that when he saw Harvey and Donna after they got married, he immediately congratulated them.  Also, he's got a new friend in Lipschitz.

Best thing about the finale is that Katrina became a name partner.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2

-Surprise line of the episode:  "You're not the Prince of England."  I hope the producers sent the Duchess a residual check for her photo appearances at the ending montage.

I don't know what the machinations were that finally forced Faye to leave, and don't really care, since the entire situation was so contrived anyway.  Hope you're happy with the new firm, folks.  I wonder what life was like for all the office workers in the back room all this time.

Harvey is going to die in Seattle.

Edited by Dowel Jones

Yeah, one last con to get rid of Faye.  I couldn't follow it, but it worked, she left (and of course we didn't get to see it, only hear about it) and that was that.  So that left the rest of the episode to wrap things up.  I'm glad, because another long, dragged out episode of them scheming and trying to outmaneuver each other in ways I can only vaguely follow would have been a horrible way to end things.

Ending the series with Louis and Sheila's wedding as the big event seemed an odd choice, so when that got cut short by them rushing through the vows and off to the hospital, I thought it was clever how they'd conned us with that.  Then Harvey and Donna decided to get married, and while I still never quite bought into them as a couple, they have been much closer to the heart of the show all along, so that was a nice twist, and somehow fitting.

Was it previously established that Stanley is also ordained?

As others have mentioned, Louis alone in the hospital didn't make much sense.  Harvey and Donna moving to Seattle doesn't make much sense either, but I think they were trying to create a parallel to Mike and Rachel, who got married and announced that they were moving to Seattle.  I guess that's what you do on this show.  Except Louis and Sheila, who have always been a bit different.  Okay, a lot different.

No final appearance by Jessica, but she was in a few flashbacks so that was good.  No Daniel Hardman, so that was also good.  Rachel appearing in flashbacks reminded me again that she was on this show.  Honestly, I never saw what was so awesome about her and even though Mike was back, it never once occurred to me that Rachel could/should be with him.  I forgot about her as soon as she was gone.

So what was the final score?  Litt Wheeler Williams Bennett?

Thanks.  Alex should be bummed.  When their names both went up at the same time and "Wheeler" came before "Williams", Alex said that that was cool because you remember the last name in a series like that, not like a name buried somewhere in the middle.  Now "Williams" is somewhere in the middle.

I feel like someone behind the scenes got the idea into their head that all lawyers care about is getting their name on the wall, becoming a Named Partner (or is it just "Name Partner"?), and from what I understand, real law firms don't change the wall every couple of months.  That makes sense to me.  The number of times the name of this firm has changed is absurd.

Louis Litt is the last man standing.  Of the original lineup, he is the only character still with the firm.  Under the new "calmer, happier" Louis, and with Alex and Katrina who generally seem to be both more ethical and more likeable than most lawyers, the firm will be a much nicer place.  Samantha will always be the loose cannon.  She won't be Louis' Harvey, but she'll be his Samantha.  Yeah, that's pretty awkward phrasing, but we get it.

1 hour ago, Orbert said:

Thanks.  Alex should be bummed.  When their names both went up at the same time and "Wheeler" came before "Williams", Alex said that that was cool because you remember the last name in a series like that, not like a name buried somewhere in the middle.  Now "Williams" is somewhere in the middle.

And honestly, Bennett Litt Wheeler Williams would roll off the tongue more smoothly than Litt Wheel Williams Bennett.

I was happy to see a meaningful conclusion for the Donna and Harvey story.  The one thing that was missing is that their was no marriage license, which is actually very important in any real marriage.  When I got married, I had to provide my license to the officiant in advance of the ceremony, and it was strictly stated in my instructions from the venue. However, despite the lack of license, it was nice that Harvey acknowledged that the loss of his mom made him realize he should not wait.  I generally hate the schmoopy self written vows, but theirs were quite touching.

It was nice to see Faye gone and have Katrina appointed as name partner.

Edited by nittanycougar
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

The one thing that was missing is that their was no marriage license, which is actually very important in any real marriage

That stood out to me too and "I'm sure" Harvey and Donna are smart enough to know they need to get a marriage license to make it a legal marriage. Maybe the one they do for their family will be the legal marriage.

1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

However, despite the lack of license, it was nice that Harvey acknowledged that the loss of his mom made him realize he should not wait.

Agreed.

8 hours ago, scowl said:

I forwarded over all the wedding and baby stuff because Faye was the only thing I was somewhat interested in. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Louis and Sheila got married as Sheila's water was breaking, officiated by Louis's therapist Stan who is now his friend and will no longer give him therapy because officiating his wedding goes beyond their professional relationship. Louis will get another therapist, but doesn't think he needs Stan to do it anymore because he didn't lose his cool when Harvey was chewing out Katrina last episode and in fact calmed Harvey down. Louis was in a morning coat, initially with top hat and cane.

Harvey was best man. Donna took over as maid of honor because Sheila's sister was stuck. There was a scare in the hospital with both mother and baby in danger but Sheila had a C-section and both were alright; their daughter is named Lucy. Harvey and Donna also got married, also officiated by Stan, with the engagement ring Harvey's mother left him in the letter last episode. They'll have another ceremony with their families present at some point.

Harvey and Donna are leaving for Seattle to work with Mike and Rachel because Harvey promised Faye and also wanted a change anyway. Mike is now Harvey's boss and gave him an "interview" where they bantered and called back to Mike's interview. Katrina is now a name partner. Louis asked Samantha to be his Harvey and she said "I won't be your Harvey but I will be your Samantha." The firm is now Litt Wheeler Williams Bennett.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Orbert said:

Louis Litt is the last man standing.  Of the original lineup, he is the only character still with the firm.

What they've done with Louis is the ultimate example of how good the Suits writers could be.  They had him as the main "villain" in season 1, but thanks to Rick Hoffman's performance he started to become popular, and they realized they had hit the jackpot with Hoffman.  They changed course and in season 2 started to flesh him out more, showed why Louis was Louis, and made him more sympathetic.  He became the best thing about the show.  So for him to be the last man standing, the managing partner of the firm, to have a family in New York including a daughter, be respected and liked by the other name partners, and have family in Seattle, is great.

• Love 10

Agreed.  It's a bit of a trope to have the "villain" get fleshed out and made more sympathetic over time, but I still prefer that to having them around all the time and bothering everyone and ruining things and you wonder why they're even there.

They tried to convince us that Harvey changed over the course of the series, but we were still told that more than we really saw it.  I'm not sure Donna changed at all.  But Louis' character arc over the series was a complete redemption, as you point out.  He went from mostly the villain, or at least some kind of comic relief, to practically the hero.

Of course, the show had a different tone at the beginning.  The whole thing with Mike pretending to be a lawyer and how he manages to fake his way through daily life at a successful firm was crazy enough to be interesting and even fun for a while.  As time went on and the show continued, it made sense that someone would find out, or have to be brought into the know, every once in a while.  Then came a very real problem:  It really didn't make sense anymore.  It had to come out in some official way.  So we got the whole "Mike goes to prison" arc.  I don't know if the showrunners had really thought that far ahead.  Somewhere along the way, Suits went from mostly light entertainment to mostly serious drama.  We got some awkward episodes and some that were honestly pretty bad.  But the show had a good run.  Maybe not Emmy material, but the folks involved can be proud of what they did.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, theredhead77 said:

That stood out to me too and "I'm sure" Harvey and Donna are smart enough to know they need to get a marriage license to make it a legal marriage. Maybe the one they do for their family will be the legal marriage.

Agreed.

Harvey said to Donna "We can do it again for our families" when he proposed, so I think they'll have a proper wedding in the future.

That was an episode of television.

I watched the penultimate episode last night, then I was like "eh, might as well knock out the series tonight"

It was stupider than I expected and not as stupid as I expected at the same time.

Louis was the series MVP, I think. He had the best overall arc.

Loved the dress Donna wore to the wedding. Don't love that it turned out to be her actual wedding dress.

I guess Donna is going to become the fashion doyenne of Seattle but think Harvey will be bored out of his mind.

It was weird to me not having Rachel there for the end except in the flashbacks. If the show couldn't get the Duchess of Sussex to make an actual appearance I think they should've hired Nathalie Emmanuel as a stand-in.

Bye, Suits. It was a good run.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

Just came here to say thanks show. It's been a nice run. Some seasons were less better than others but overall I've enjoyed the entire run. Loved that Harvey and Donna was endgame. It was my only real wish for the last season but I liked how they wrapped all other storylines also. Bye Suits! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Endings.
There's something about endings that gets to me.
Maybe it's because I'm getting a bit old.
Anyway, this 9-season show had endings, but pointed to bold new beginnings.
Mike, Harvey, and Donna head off to Seattle, joining Megan, to practice law, although they will be doing "the good work" and not just chasing mergers, etc.  Pretty good.
And Louis, Alex, Katrina, Gretchen etc stay back in NYC (aka Toronto) to continue practicing corporate law.  They are a good team.

Of course, this is only a TV show.  Fiction. But, after 9 seasons, it sort of sticks to you.
Anyway, time to catch up with the other shows.

• Love 1

I am in the middle of the episode and I am totally rooting for the producers to do the right thing and have this thing blow up in their faces.

Just finished it and...I guess it did blow up in their faces because they met someone with more integrity in her pinky then all of them out together. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show and yes their rule-breaking was usually for good, but their attitude on getting called out on their carp by Faye irked me.  Sigh, even though their scheme blew up, they still got Faye out so they never learned any lesson.  Sigh.

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy