Type keyword(s) to search

Robin Hood: He Owes a Great Debt to Everyone

• Start Topic

The problem with Robin is unlike the other destroyed-for-Regina characters (eg. Snow or Henry), Robin was *always* horribly written from the actor's first appearance in 3A.  So it is much more difficult to warm to him since you can't even say "Oh I wish he reverted back to when he was awesome" because he never was.

• Love 7

The problem with Robin is unlike the other destroyed-for-Regina characters (eg. Snow or Henry), Robin was *always* horribly written from the actor's first appearance in 3A. So it is much more difficult to warm to him since you can't even say "Oh I wish he reverted back to when he was awesome" because he never was.

Yeah. This is because he is not a character, he is just a prop for Regina. I feel so bad for Sean, he seems a nice guy.

• Love 2

The problem with Robin is unlike the other destroyed-for-Regina characters (eg. Snow or Henry), Robin was *always* horribly written from the actor's first appearance in 3A. So it is much more difficult to warm to him since you can't even say "Oh I wish he reverted back to when he was awesome" because he never was.

He was written better in Lacey, and I found him quite awesome then.

The irony here is that if he's being written to prop up Regina, he's not doing a very good job of it. His character isn't giving her any boost at all.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I wish he would spend a little less time with Regina and more time interacting with the others. It would be good for him. Stick him with charming and Killy like they kind of did in Witch Hunt.

Has Robin had a single scene with Rumple in the present yet? I'm drawing a blank. And other!Robin is all I can recall about them sharing scenes in he past.

I wish he would spend a little less time with Regina and more time interacting with the others. It would be good for him. Stick him with charming and Killy like they kind of did in Witch Hunt.

He's a non-character accessory for Regina, so the writers have no intention of giving him his own story. They haven't even touched on what his relationship with Marian is like now. We don't see them talk to each other at all, except for Robin explaining Storybrooke. We really have no idea what Marian is thinking at this point, or how she views Robin after learning he's been dating her killer.

Has Robin had a single scene with Rumple in the present yet?

They did in Bleeding Through when Rumple came to get Regina's heart.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

What's weird is that the writers seemed like they wanted to integrate Robin into the canvas more at the start of 3B. He had the nice reunion with Belle and "hey, we were on wanted posters together!" moment with Snow in 3x12, and then bro'ed out with Charming in 3x14. And those moments generally worked for the character. But after that, it was like "nope, he's only allowed to share screentime with Regina, writers' decision!" Literally the only time I remember him interacting with non-Regina characters after 3x14 is the council scenes in 3x19. And much like with Belle, not giving him relationships to the other characters does him no favors.

Edited by stealinghome
(edited)

There are too many frick'in characters they need to integrate into the canvas.  And they only add more.  Which is better?  Being one character's prop and having screentime, or being a prop to the plot and get character assassination one-liners like Granny and Grumpy when it's convenient?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I hate him so much!  I don't know how Will is as a character since I did not see Wonderland, but all those qualities Robin was rattling on about himself, I think Will has more of that in his pinky than Robin has in his whole body.  He can just go and die now.

• Love 7

OQ has become disgusting drivel. 

I don't know how Will is as a character since I did not see Wonderland, but all those qualities Robin was rattling on about himself, I think Will has more of that in his pinky than Robin has in his whole body. 

Word! Robin Hood carries the Douche award for the Show now. 

• Love 3

I hate him so much!  I don't know how Will is as a character since I did not see Wonderland, but all those qualities Robin was rattling on about himself, I think Will has more of that in his pinky than Robin has in his whole body.  He can just go and die now.

He got on Will's case for being selfish and without honor in their OUATIW flashback. How the tables have turned.

It's really sad that he takes Will's advice that is blatantly supposed to be about Marian and instead applies it to Regina.

• Love 3

It's really sad that he takes Will's advice that is blatantly supposed to be about Marian and instead applies it to Regina.

Yup. Poor Marian. Now that Douche has decided to stick with Regina, I hope Marian won't have to die. Let her live in off-screenville with Roland.

• Love 2

I guess Robin is going to "ruin his entire life for True Love", and help Regina believe in her goodness when she can't see it herself. :-p

Well, I suppose the ability to see teeny, weeny, teensy, tiny specks would help with his archery.

• Love 3

I don't understand... Robin thinks its fine to go make out with another woman, but divorce is off the table? Even if it's unheard of in the Enchanted Forest, why hasn't Regina suggested it? Robin had just come back from reminiscing about Marian and how wonderful she was, then he proceeds to cheat on her. Even David Nolan stepped away from Mary Margaret when he got his "memories" back about Kathryn. Robin just comes off as a wishy-washy, two-timing immoral drunk to me.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

He wants his cake and eat it too like most people who carry on emotional and physical affairs.  I can't even think about what happened in that crypt.  I can't believe that's what he got from what Will told him.  I expected him to find his popsicle wife and sit by her or something. 

• Love 2

I don't understand... Robin thinks its fine to go make out with another woman, but divorce is off the table? Even if it's unheard of in the Enchanted Forest, why hasn't Regina suggested it? Robin had just come back from reminiscing about Marian and how wonderful she was, then he proceeds to cheat on her. Even David Nolan stepped away from Mary Margaret when he got his "memories" back about Kathryn. Robin just comes off as a wishy-washy, two-timing immoral drunk to me.

And they keep telling us that Robin is moral, and honorable.  What?

He's making out with a murderous tyrant in the crypt (think about that.  Crypt) where she keeps her stolen hearts, that she uses (or used) to control people or kill them.

He's married.  He's married to someone he loved, who changed his life, who gave up much of her own wants and desires for him and his goals, who is the mother of his child.  Their marriage didn't end in betrayal and tears--it ended because his current girlfriend tortured, terrorized, and killed her.

Wouldn't an honorable man be concerned about that? 

I mean, I could understand him caring for and eventually falling in love with Regina.  I can even understand him moving on after Marian had been gone all that time.  But every decision, Robin makes the gross or weaselly one.  (weasel-ly, not Weasley.  Molly'd hex him.)

Robin just becomes more and more horrid.  I just do not understand what A&E are expecting us to take away from his behavior.

• Love 6
I don't understand... Robin thinks its fine to go make out with another woman, but divorce is off the table?

To be fair, so did Starbuck in BSG (swap woman for man, though). But hell, Outlaw Queen is even worse than that mess, and that's saying something.

• Love 1

I just saw part of an episode of "Off Centre" on Youtube, and I had forgotten that Sean Maguire was on that show.  He used to be so charismatic... what happened?  Now I will have to blame the writing more than him, since he was awesome on that show.

I just saw part of an episode of "Off Centre" on Youtube, and I had forgotten that Sean Maguire was on that show.  He used to be so charismatic... what happened?  Now I will have to blame the writing more than him, since he was awesome on that show.

I said earlier in this thread I've been watching Sean Maguire on TV since he was 12 (on a British kids show called Grange Hill). He's always been a good actor, you don't have a near thirty year career on both sides of the Atlantic if you're not.

The problem on this show is this iconic character of Robin Hood doesn't have his own storyline, he's just there to serve Regina's story.

I was thinking maybe 4A would have a flashback of Robin and Marion for sure, but this episode stamped on that possibility once and for all.  They described in 2 lines how Robin and Marion met, and even how he became the renowned Robin Hood, which was the lamest story ever AND it resulted in him abandoning his "code" and pursuing Regina.

When Regina said Robin had to forget about her, I thought we would get Regina or Rumple putting a memory spell on him, and he would forget Regina.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

He wants his cake and eat it too like most people who carry on emotional and physical affairs.

This I can understand, however I don't believe Robin loves either Regina or Marian. He's only with Marian because he feels obligated, and he's only with Regina because she's "quite a good kisser", if you know what I mean. Comparing him to David Nolan, David wanted everyone to be happy. He genuinely cared about MM and Kathryn, in my opinion. But with Robin, we don't have any reason to believe he cares about Marian or Regina, outside lip service. There's a lack of love in this "Love Triangle".

(David was a jerk too, but his intentions were better, relatively speaking.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

This I can understand, however I don't believe Robin loves either Regina or Marian. He's only with Marian because he feels obligated, and he's only with Regina because she's "quite a good kisser", if you know what I mean. Comparing him to David Nolan, David wanted everyone to be happy. He genuinely cared about MM and Kathryn, in my opinion. But with Robin, we don't have any reason to believe he cares about Marian or Regina, outside lip service. There's a lack of love in this "Love Triangle".

(David was a jerk too, but his intentions were better, relatively speaking.)

David was also cursed. What's Robin's excuse? One thing that made the Season 1 triangle more bearable for me, though, is that we got to see that Kathryn also had her true love. Once that flashback aired the audience could see that Kathryn was separated from her Happy Ending too. What is waiting for Marian when she wakes up and finds out her husband is a cheating cheater?

Edited by queenbee
  • Love 3

And not only was David cursed, but he had been in a coma for 28 years.  He was understandably confused.  It doesn't necessarily excuse his behavior, but he wasn't just a random sleazeball.  He legitimately didn't remember his "wife" because (a) she wasn't his wife, and (b) he had just come out of a 28 year coma.

Edited by angelwoody
  • Love 3
David was also cursed. What's Robin's excuse? One thing that made the Season 1 triangle more bearable for me, though, is that we got to see that Kathryn also had her true love. Once that flashback aired the audience could see that Kathryn was separated from her Happy Ending too.

And who was it who did that to them? Why, I do believe it was Robin's "true love" that he's cheating on his cursed wife with.

Maybe when Marian loses the loser she can find someone who will allow her to go back to living indoors. Hmm, I wonder if Archie is seeing anyone. He seems nice and kind.

• Love 3

Maybe when Marian loses the loser she can find someone who will allow her to go back to living indoors. Hmm, I wonder if Archie is seeing anyone. He seems nice and kind.

I ship it!! Popsicle Cricket, anyone? 

• Love 4

David was also cursed.

And not only was David cursed, but he had been in a coma for 28 years.

Yes and yes! The whole triangle in S1 was fabricated from external forces. Not only from Regina's memories, but Snow/Charming's True Love keeping them together.

Let's just kill off Robin, then have Regina do the ATL to save Marian. She's apparently an authority on light magic now, anyway. I just want this whole thing over with.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

With all the issues I have with Regina and the way the writers handle her, why oh why would she wanna be with someone like Robin other than believing that he's her blech soulmate blech.  I mean the way he is behaving towards his wife, the woman who basically made Robin Hood legendary, this woman who basically gave up everything for him because she loved him and saw the good in him even when he wasn't all that great, doesn't that send alarm signals, bells, sirens, don't red lights start flashing to warn or is Regina completely brain dead?  Maybe he'll fall in wuv with the next woman who has a tight ass and wears red lipstick and murdered puppies to make coats and he'll call her creative and fashionable.

Give me Maid Regina, I'll ship it and I'll ship it hard if it means I never have to see Robin, listen to Robin, think about Robin and how much of....seriously!

• Love 1

When Will told Robin that True Love is worth ruining your life for, Robin took it to heart. He is willing to ruin his reputation, honor, and family values because he "in lust" over Regina. It's like one of those uncontrolled passions that leave heartbreak and destruction in their wake, but it's not believable because I see zero chemistry between Regina and Robin, and definitely no love. I think they're writing it as an epic and tragic romance, but it is coming across as extremely sleazy.

Even considering that Robin has moved on from Marian, at the least for the sake of his son, and out of respect for his wife, Robin should have waited until Marian was de-cursed, to get it on with Regina. He missed his window of opportunity when Marian came back. He should have decided to end things with Marian right away instead of being with her for the sake of some code. I understand people make mistakes, but for me to feel some compassion for Robin, they needed to have developed their romance better in S3B.

• Love 4

I guess Robin has given up all pretense of being honorable. Even if he had somehow stopped loving Marian, common humanity dictates that he tries to find a way to save an innocent woman (forget that she's the mother of his son). Instead, he's having crypt-love, and doing research on finding Regina's Happy Ending. Bravo!

• Love 1

The thing I hate the most about it (probably, because I hate it for so many reasons) is that Robin doesn't even seem to care the least bit about Marian anymore, as if he doesn't even like her anymore. She's dying, and he doesn't care. He's super happy to go off and have crypt sex. He's showing more enthusiasm about Regina's silly book quest than about Marian being frozen.

It's fine for him to move on after he thinks his wife died. It's fine if he doesn't love her anymore. And it's also fine that he doesn't follow Regina's advice of "go and try to fall back in love with her" - you can't just fall in love with somebody on command. But even if he doesn't love her anymore, he used to love her. Wouldn't you think he'd at least be upset about her being frozen? But all Robin seems to see is that Marian's return seems to complicate his new relationship.

...huh, he and Regina really are perfect for each other, aren't they?

• Love 8

Does anyone else think the reason we didn't get to see Robin go dark-side during the Spell of Shattered Sight is because the writers had no idea how to alter the personality of a character who doesn't have one to begin with?

• Love 11

Yup. Like, they've already said his personality is something (super honorable and follows a code for all his life!) and the opposite of that (actually, kind of a bum with no code until Marian came along). What would even be his worst self? Since his "best" self is having sex with his wife's attempted murderer while his wife's frozen boy lies somewhere, in the crypt where his wife's body is stored.

• Love 2
(edited)

They probably don't want him to see Regina at her worst, since they might have to deal with that.  Regina trying to kill Snow and the baby... no biggie; they'd just have a good ol' laugh over it.

Edited by Camera One

It's hilarious that they were trying to push the "Robin is honorable" BS right to the very end. Does Marian know about Crypt Sex, or doesn't that count as a dishonorable deed because she doesn't know? Robin would have apparently sent Marian across the town line alone if it were not for Regina spelling it out to him. Poor Marian--stuck with a man who doesn't care for her in the least. They should have found a Merry Man or a random citizen of Storybrooke to leave with Marian. 

• Love 1
Does Marian know about Crypt Sex, or doesn't that count as a dishonorable deed because she doesn't know?

If she knew, that would seriously be icky.  I suspect this will be another thing which will never be mentioned again, since at this point, how can Marion find out without the whole scenario being completely awkward?  Robin might tell her off-camera in the World Without Magic when he is admitting all his sins, though I seriously doubt it.

Edited by Camera One

You know, it would have been one thing if the relationship between Robin and Regina was a long-standing one in which they were already sleeping together before Marian's return. But based on his comment about how long it had been since he'd had such good "sleep," they didn't actually have sex until the crypt incident. So that means that the actual affair started after he knew his wife was still alive and while she was under a curse. He didn't have time to have even tried to get back together with Marian before he'd already decided he really wanted Regina. It wasn't an innocent relationship that they didn't know counted as an affair because he thought his wife was dead, only to have the wife return. The relationship had barely started before Marian returned, and then they kicked it up into an affair.

Since it had been so long (though weren't the people in the Coradome frozen for the 27 years instead of having the Groundhog Day existence? So it's been maybe four years for him), shouldn't he have at least given things with his wife a chance for more than five minutes -- get to know her again, spend time with her, etc.? -- before making the decision to stick with someone else he barely knows?

• Love 1

Since it had been so long (though weren't the people in the Coradome frozen for the 27 years instead of having the Groundhog Day existence? So it's been maybe four years for him), shouldn't he have at least given things with his wife a chance for more than five minutes -- get to know her again, spend time with her, etc.? -- before making the decision to stick with someone else he barely knows?

Hey--Fairy Dust and a great ass trumped the vanilla relationship he had with Marian.

(edited)

HoodlumSheep posted this video of a scene from the Wonderland series in another thread, and a piece of dialogue stuck out to me. In the scene, Will and Robin are talking about stealing from Maleficent's castle, and this is what Robin has to say about magic:

“The one thing we do not mess about with is magic. It’s dangerous, no matter how valuable it is or how much wealth it can bring you. It’s never worth the consequences.”

I'm just curious why the writers never bothered to develop this part of Robin's character in the main series. You'd think this would have come up when he started dating Regina - one of the most powerful magic practitioners around. Why weren't we shown his hesitation towards her about her magic and magic in general? And then there's the line "no matter how much wealth it can bring you." How does Robin feel about Regina living in a mansion and having expensive things like a Mercedes Benz and high quality pant suits, which were all given to her because of magic? Does this bother him at all? Why do the writers refuse to give Robin any depth?

Also, I haven't wandered into this thread for months, so I was re-reading some of the earlier pages to catch up. And no offense to the original poster, but this kind of gave me a good chuckle just because of the irony of what happened in 4A:

I mean maybe that is why I laughed hysterically when Hook claimed Emma saved everyone. I guess he'll say anything to sleep with her.

This was written before 4A. Yet, here we are in 4B, and it's actually Robin who's taking a bunch of flack for not being able to keep it in his pants with the crypt sex and Captain Swan still hasn't banged. Good ol' Once Upon a Time.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

^ I feel like the little bit of Robin Hood we saw in Wonderland was closer to what most of us imagined he would be like in Once. Whoever wrote that episode seemed to have a better grasp of his character than the Once writers do.

I suppose Robin was aware of the "magic comes with a price" ideal, but it's sad that it didn't translate into Once.

I think the problem with Robin Hood in Once is he's called Robin Hood, he's married to Maid Marion, but any resemblance to the fictional character throughout film and TV called Robin Hood ends there. In Once, especially from 3B onwards, he's just Regina's love interest.

• Love 2

I feel like the little bit of Robin Hood we saw in Wonderland was closer to what most of us imagined he would be like in Once. Whoever wrote that episode seemed to have a better grasp of his character than the Once writers do.

Agreed. I actually kind of liked Robin in that episode the first time I watched it. (Well, I liked him as much as you can like someone who's only had 2 minutes of screen time.) I just looked it up and apparently Richard Hatem wrote that episode. As far as I can tell, he only wrote for the Wonderland series, not for the main show. So, that's probably why this Robin feels so much different.

HoodlumSheep posted this video of a scene from the Wonderland series in another thread, and a piece of dialogue stuck out to me. In the scene, Will and Robin are talking about stealing from Maleficent's castle, and this is what Robin has to say about magic:

What is this sorcery? I actually liked Robin Hood in that scene!  And apparently, Sean Maguire has much better acting skills that what he has displayed in the mother show. 

If anything could make OQ even more distasteful, it was this. That's the second woman Robin has slept with who also murdered his wife in one timeline or the other. At least this time, it was not intentional. If this is supposed to be karma for Regina raping Graham, why is Robin the victim? Ugh... I wish OQ could be written out of the show.

I guess he decided to stick to that ever-changing target of a Code at the end of this week's episode.  They managed to make him slightly better in "Heart of Gold" and then they give us this... For Robin Hood, this show might as well be called "Once Upon a Garburator".