Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Provenance

• Start Topic

A young couple is murdered in their home shortly after buying an antique painting of a family portrait circa 1910. Upon reviewing the painting's provenance, Sam and Dean learn that everyone who has ever bought the painting has been murdered and race to discover how the portrait is causing the deaths before it can claim its next victim.

I find here's a lot to like in this episode--a good creepy case, good PiPs and guest actors, the art department did some fantastic work with that motel room and Sam and Dean are once again Sam and Dean.

First I want to mention that I don't think I will ever, ever, never, ever, ever, never, never, never, ever...did I say ever...get tired of seeing them dig up a grave and salt 'n burn the bones. NEVER, EVER! It is the most ridiculous conceit--how is it that nobody notices them digging for what has to be hours and burning bones is not as easy as it appears--but I just don't give a damn. It is always a joy and pleasure to watch. Yes, I'm aware that I'm twisted, but what you don't realize is I am proud of my twist!

I also don't think I could ever get tired of watching them scaling fences, breaking into warehouses and running around looking for stuff, pulling out their knives and cutting stuff. Seriously, that could be an entire episode for me and I think I would be happy. I also doubt I could get tired of seeing Dean driving recklessly and shooting at things in crypts. Just saying.

This episode, more than any other in S1, reminds me of how much I miss the quirky little themed hotels of days gone past. I know they were corny and usually cheesy, but that's what made them fun and they were something that was unique to the show. Plus, I liked looking for the weird little details that were hidden in them.

Mostly though, there are some really nice Dean and Sam moments here. I loved Dean trying to get Sam to get back out there and I also loved Sam getting fed up with Dean. I also liked Sarah, she wasn't the typical mini-skirt and heals wearing sassy girl that this show loves to highlight. She was smart and strong and I loved her outsider perspective. The looks she was giving them as they were digging up that grave are just priceless and so very spot on.

• Love 2

This episode, more than any other in S1, reminds me of how much I miss the quirky little themed hotels of days gone past. I know they were corny and usually cheesy, but that's what made them fun and they were something that was unique to the show. Plus, I liked looking for the weird little details that were hidden in them.

This is one of my favorite things about the show! 

I really liked this episode. I especialy liked Sarah. I think it's hard for me to look back at this episode now that

Sarah was killed in season 8.

And the fact that they didn't give the meaning to that that I thought they should have, it makes it all the worse.

I liked the Sam and Dean stuff here, even the slightly over-exuberant interest in Sam's love life that Dean was showing. It totally makes sense character-wise considering Dean's similar interest

in Castiel's "love life" later on

. Dean just wants everyone else to enjoy sex as much as he does. Hee.

• Love 3

I agree that Dean just wants everyone to like sex as much as he does. I have never really understood why Dean gets painted as a creeper or is overly invested in Sam's love life. I think he gets so much joy and pleasure out of sex he just wants Sam to be happy.

You know this is an episode that I always think "is it worth rewatching?" and it always is. I like that they interpret dome clues correctly but not others. That Isaac was trying to help. That Sam bitches about health nuts and their low-sodium diet. That bit where Dean nearly clunks himself for being an idiot and *having* the means to get to the doll.

• Love 1
First I want to mention that I don't think I will ever, ever, never, ever, ever, never, never, never, ever...did I say ever...get tired of seeing them dig up a grave and salt 'n burn the bones. NEVER, EVER! It is the most ridiculous conceit--how is it that nobody notices them digging for what has to be hours and burning bones is not as easy as it appears--but I just don't give a damn. It is always a joy and pleasure to watch. Yes, I'm aware that I'm twisted, but what you don't realize is I am proud of my twist!

Heh.  If you're twisted, then so am I.  I love those scenes.  It's quintessential Supernatural.

Overall, this is one of my favorite episodes of S1.  It's the perfect combination of scary, dark humor, and brotherly moments.

And count me among the ones who like Sarah.

I refuse to acknowledge that she died in S8.  As far as I'm concerned, she's in Albany running an art gallery or something.

I agree that Dean just wants everyone to like sex as much as he does. I have never really understood why Dean gets painted as a creeper or is overly invested in Sam's love life. I think he gets so much joy and pleasure out of sex he just wants Sam to be happy.

Yeah, it never seemed creepy to me.  It's usually Dean's way of doing one of two things - either he's trying to tease/embarrass Sam, or he's honestly trying to get Sam to indulge in something that he sees as part of having a normal happy life.  

• Love 2

When you count into the factor that Dean did raise Sam and add that Sam has shut down to grief over Jessica, I never saw this as creepy but encouraging Sam to take risk again.  It looked more like a proud Dad watching his son take a first step to new experiences.  Plus Dean loves sex and why wouldn't he want Sam to enjoy himself a little bit.  Sam liked her and the chemistry is good so why not see if you couldn't get them together?

I liked Sarah and wish they had used her more.  It does have a great ending and I thought it was one relationship that really seemed real.

• Love 2

Great episode. Loved Sarah and the brotherly interactions. Only sour note was the way Sam talked to Sarah when she was trying to tell him about the dolls and their hair..."That's fascinating, Sarah, but important right now?" all sarcastic. Didn't love that. Otherwise...another fave.

• Love 2

There's really nothing to pick apart in this episode, for me.  It's got a creepy monster, a plot twist, Sam and Dean are true to character and have some great moments, the PiP and Sarah are great, and lots of funny dialogue and of course the motel room.

i especially like the talk Dean has with Sam in the motel.  It's about as open, blunt, and honest as Dean can be and he's honestly trying to get Sam to see that it's ok to let people in. It's just a nice scene and well done by JA and JP.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mertensia said:

I do wonder at the mental stability of people buying that godawful ugly painting. I mean...what the hell? Are you blind?

Hey now! Art is in the eye of the beholder...and/or beerholder.

• Love 2

Re-watching this episode, I couldn't escape the feeling that Evelyn deserved to die for overpaying for that God-awful painting right after the Telesca murders and wasting no time to hang it so she could creepily read in its shadow like some serial killer with bodies in her basement.

"Come on, Dean!" LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 6/16/2016 at 7:17 AM, mertensia said:

I do wonder at the mental stability of people buying that godawful ugly painting. I mean...what the hell? Are you blind?

Funny story: we have a picture from the turn of the century that has been passed down in my family of my Great Great (Great?) Aunt Victoria. The picture is old and creepy. She is staring straight ahead unsmiling with old school ringlets on either side of her head. Her eyes follow you. The picture is made creepier by the fact that she died shortly thereafter, in her early teens, when she was thrown from a carriage and drown in a creek. She didn't know how to swim.

I always loved the picture. I identified with Victoria as a kid and later appreciated that she was remembered. Her life was cut so tragically short, but her family keeps her memory alive. 

My brothers, on the other hand, hate the picture. It was in the guest room where we slept. They would make my grandmother hide it in the closet. 

After my grandmother died, my grandfather had the house painted. When my uncle asked if he needed help rehanging the paintings, my Papa said no, some of the pictures felt like they were staring at him and he didn't want them back up. When he died, we all went through the house for items we wanted. I wanted Victoria but nobody could find her. Several people looked for the picture and it was missing. 

I was about to give up when, on a whim, I opened the closet that housed the AC unit. There, faced away from the door, was Victoria. I guess we know who was staring at Papa. 😂 Also a super creepy sewing machine that I wanted nothing to do with. It's probably a good thing I found her. Imagine how she would have creeped out the new owners of the house.

I hung her in our hallway upstairs, but my son finally told me months later that she scared him. "Why did you buy that creepy mirror?" He asked. 😬

So into the closet went poor Victoria. I won't lie that I got a little freaked out when my husband moved her to the other side if the closet without telling me. 😂

Anyway, some of us love our creepy art, thank you very much.

I loved Sarah and the disco hotel and Dean trying to keep his brother from closing himself off without talking about feelings. Unfortunately, I hated the use of the evil adopted kid trope too much to get past. I am a mama by adoption and the stereotype that adopted kids are bad or dangerous is harmful as hell. The adoption element didn't add to the story. Having her kill two families didn't add to the story. They could have had the same episode without making her adopted.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2016 at 8:17 AM, mertensia said:

Some people with more money than sense, will buy ugly art if an "expert" tells them that it's good.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Some people with more money than sense, will buy ugly art if an "expert" tells them that it's good.

I always say that cliches become cliches for a reason - because they are true. And one of the truest for me is 'I don't know art, but I know what I like'. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I always say that cliches become cliches for a reason - because they are true. And one of the truest for me is 'I don't know art, but I know what I like'. 

That's what sells art.  You may think something is horrible, but you really can't/shouldn't make fun of someone else's taste.  (It may change your opinion of the person, of course...😊)

• Love 1