Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

How do you cheat with a Tumblr reblog? :(

No one is cheating because it's impossible to use bots for tumblr reblogs. Bamon gets the votes from 12am-10am because the tumblr post limits resets and they apparently have queues that queue up 250 posts so it seems like they get a surge but really, it's just the same voters voting over and over. Whereas Olicity gets the majority of their votes from 10am-10pm.  It's all very very very weird (the timing of it all). 

I've seen westallen/lauriver shippers rally against Olicity (some are just genuine Bamon fans though) and I've seen Delena shippers rally against Bamon because they hate that ship with a passion.

It's all normal poll hijinx if you ask me. It's exhausting. I've just been in my corner of tumblr so I don't really know any of the drama that's going on. Which has been really nice. Fic writers tend to put mini drabbles in the posts, and people put metas and stuff, it's been an enjoyable experience for me lol

• Love 7

This is the first evidence I have seen that they are really popular. I'm sure some people are just voting for Bamon so Olicity won't win, the same way I know that some people are voting for Olicity so Bamon won't win. Bamon may have an edge in recruiting other fandoms. TVD is huge, so there are a lot of connections there. Maybe some pissed-off Oulander fans are voting too. Or Klaine fans. Delena is supporting Olicity so maybe Stelena fans are voting Bamon to piss them off.

This type of free for all voting has no-validity. 

How do you cheat with a Tumblr reblog? :(

Apparently there are shortcuts to voting and ways to get around the reblog limit and ways to queue reblogs after you have been locked out, something to do with an app. I have no idea how it works.

(edited)

I have no idea how people are getting around the tumblr post limit, if indeed that's happening; it could just be mudslinging going on. The only thing that could be considered "cheating" is a tumblr app that lets you reblog by pressing a hotkey instead of a mouse click. And making new tumblr accounts just to vote, I guess.

I think it's great that the Olicity fandom managed to outlast the Outlander fans in the two polls they won. They overcame deficits and won by comfortable margins. No accusations other fandoms helping them either.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

The only way the timing makes sense is if its a timezone thing. So most people voting for Olicity are from North America and most voting Bamon are voting from Europe. And that just doesn't make sense.

I think the Award is handed out on the 12th, but I believe the contest ends on the 8th (5 PST I think). Not soon enough.

I find it funny that every time one of these poll things happens, the other team gets the villain treatment, when really, everyone is subject to the same rules and ultimately uses the same tactics (aside from actual cheating, which, if it's happening, it's on the people organizing the contest to safeguard against that). I've seen Olicity fans talking about recruiting other fandoms in the past, auto-reblogging to side Tumblrs, tutorials on quick-vote techniques, whatever it takes to drive numbers up. I don't see anything wrong with any of that, no matter who's doing it. Also, it's often my other ships (Steroline, Jamie/Claire, now Bamon) that are up against Olicity in these things, so I'm probably a little more familiar with those fandoms and feel comfortable saying that they reflect the same broad spectrum as the Olicity fandom. No one has the moral highground when it comes to online popularity contests! :)

Bamon may not be as big as Olicity on Tumblr, but their fanbase is devoted and enthusiastic (clearly). They have waited six years for even a whiff of hope for their ship, and they finally got it this season--even moreso after Nina Dobrev's departure was announced--so they picked up a ton of new fans (including me, though I'm pretty ambivalent about TVD in general these days). They're certainly one of the strongest ship fandoms on TVD/TO now (arguably vs the Steroline people, but there's a lot of overlap in those two fandoms) (and if you don't count the doomed ships of Stelena/Delena/Klaroline). But their strong showing is probably a result of organized effort, yeah.

I would be surprised if the number of Westallen fans who truly hate Olicity/Felicity enough to robo-vote against them was significant enough to really do any damage to the differential there--same as I feel about Lauriver fans because (seriously no offense intended) there just...aren't enough of them to make the difference in the end.

• Love 2
(edited)

That brings me to another thought - when did Westallen and Olicity become rival ships? Because I thought a lot of people shipped them both. Not everyone of course, but I'd gotten the impression that there was a fair amount of crossover.

ETA: that is not to say that I'm unaware that there is resentment toward Felicity on the part of some Westallen fans. I just hadn't gotten the impression that "pro-Westallen = anti-Olicity" was a widespread sentiment.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

THE 12TH?! UGH. I'm so bored of this contest already and it's all so messy, from all sides. I personally feel like it should be one like/one reblog vote per tumblr. Surely that would be a more accurate way of voting?

The sad thing is a lot of fans are doing this because Olicity would get an actual award and maybe a short clip from SA and EBR accepting it, but based on the timing I don't even see that happening because their schedules are different and they'll probably still be in different parts of the country. So it feels all for nothing tbh. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I have no problem with people trying to get other fandoms to vote with them. I just hate hate hate when they go to anti-tags to get people to vote. Bacon, Loliver, Barfmon, Nolicity. It boggles my mind that each of these fandoms deal with the same name calling, the same anon sending them hate and trying to make them feel bad for shipping what they ship and then they turn around and start trash talking the moment a poll comes around. The 'love what you love and ignore the rest' higher ground goes out the window.

For the record, I can't stand Oliver and Laurel but I would never go to a shippers blog and trash their ship. This is literally the only place I post on Arrow because its a forum for discussion.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 7

That brings me to another thought - when did Westallen and Olicity become rival ships? Because I thought a lot of people shipped them both. Not everyone of course, but I'd gotten the impression that there was a fair amount of crossover.

ETA: that is not to say that I'm unaware that there is resentment toward Felicity on the part of some Westallen fans. I just hadn't gotten the impression that "pro-Westallen = anti-Olicity" was a widespread sentiment.

I don't believe it is--I meant to say something about that too. My personal impression is that Westallen is more popular among Olicity shippers (and fandom at large) than Snowbarry at present. I mean, I'm sure many Olicity shippers don't really ship either, and ditto, many Westallen people probably don't give a shit about Olicity. But that's different than actively hating, and that's why I find it hard to believe that the Westallen people "voting" against Olicity would constitute a significant enough number to make a real difference in this thing.

• Love 2

I haven't seen any evidence that WestAllen, SnowBarry or Oliver and Laurel shippers combined are enough to tip the scales. I'm still thinking most of the power bloging comes from the TVD and Olicity fandoms.

Something called view as archive. You follow blogs that reblog only that certain post. Then you view as archive which will bring up those blogs you follow that only reblog the MTV Olicity post. Then you "select all" which you have to go up to 250 reblogs. Then you create email and do it all again. So it votes for you 250 times in one click. Even though it's a process.

Tumblr has become soo entertaining due to this MTV poll. Honestly, I didn't remembered being this ugly when Delena was winning it a year ago or so ago. 

About WestAllen, I don't think many of them Olicity. I am usually over at Twitter and most people who are making gifs/fan arts/ fanfics for WestAllen also love Felicity/Olicity including myself. 

(edited)

I have heard some hate aimed at Felicity. There seemed to be some weird concern about she and Barry being a real thing. I have to think that reasoning is over but people were saying that what she did in her crossover episode with Ray where she acted as a trusted friend and a voice of reason for Barry should have never happened. That Barry should never have doubted Caitin and Cisco and Felicity shouldn't be the one person he trusted to talk to about this. I also have gotten the impression that my liking of Olicity apparently means I want to defy all comic canon pairings on principle.

Personally I'm pretty indifferent to any ship on the Flash. I am way more excited by imagining a possible Donna and Quentin connection than anything real on the Flash. I think I'm more interested in a theoretical Ray/Sara thing than anything on The Flash. And I don't see them actually doing a Ray/Sara thing in LoT at least this season.

I was surprised and pleased about the Eonline polls and I will be the same if "our" team takes the MTV thing but I don't think it actually does much. I suppose that's true for most of these secondary honors and awards. At least it keeps the show and characters On our minds during the very, very, very long hiatus. July, August, September. Three more months and curse the powers that be that have me wishing away summer.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Official E!Online Best Ever TV winners - Arrow did pretty well, considering the very tough competition, so congrats to all who voted (I've listed all 34 winners below)...

Best. Ever. TV. Awards 2015: The Fans Have Spoken and the Winners Are...
by TIERNEY BRICKER Mon., Jun. 29, 2015 12:00 PM PDT
http://www.eonline.com/news/671485/best-ever-tv-awards-2015-the-fans-have-spoken-and-the-winners-are

Best Drama:  Outlander
Best Comedy:  The Big Bang Theory
Best Actor:  Sam Heughan, Outlander
Best Actress:  Caitriona Balfe, Outlander
Best Actor, Comedy:  Jaime Camil, Jane the Virgin
Best Actress, Comedy:  Constance Wu, Fresh Off the Boat
Best Couple:  Oliver and Felicity, Arrow
Oddest Couple: Geillis and Arthur Duncan, Outlander
Love Triangle You're So Over:  Mary, Conde and Francis, Reign
Best Kiss:  Lexa and Clarke's first kiss, The 100
Best Fight:  Jamie and Claire at the river, Outlander
Steamiest Moment:  Oliver and Felicity's first time, Arrow
Biggest Tearjerker:  Jamie's torture, Outlander
Best Shocker:  Ra's killing Oliver, Arrow
Moment that Made You Want to Throw Out Your TV:  Jamie's rape, Outlander
Best New Show:  Outlander  (Runner-up was Agent Carter!)
Best Guest Star:  Alycia Debnam Carey, The 100
Breakout Star, Male:  Sam Heughan, Outlander
Breakout Star, Female:  Caitriona Balfe, Outlander  (Runner-up was Hayley Atwell!)
Best Baddie:  Kai Parker, The Vampire Diaries
Best Bitch:  Laoghaire MacKenzie, Outlander
Most Heartbreaking Cancellation:  Forever
Most Heartbreaking Goodbye:  Damon and Elena's dance, The Vampire Diaries
Show You'll Miss the Most:  Forever
Star You'll Miss the Most:  Ioan Gruffudd, Forever
Most Underrated Show:  Hannibal
Best Binge-Watch:  Outlander
New Show You're Most Excited For:  Fear the Walking Dead  (Runner-up was Supergirl!)
Guiltiest Pleasure:  Scandal
Best Reality Show:  Dancing with the Stars
Best Reality Star:  Derek Hough, DWTS
Best Fandom:  Hannibal 
Best Cast on Social Media:  Outlander 
Show You Cannot Believe is Still on the Air:  The Bachelor

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I find it funny that every time one of these poll things happens, the other team gets the villain treatment, when really, everyone is subject to the same rules and ultimately uses the same tactics (aside from actual cheating, which, if it's happening, it's on the people organizing the contest to safeguard against that). I've seen Olicity fans talking about recruiting other fandoms in the past, auto-reblogging to side Tumblrs, tutorials on quick-vote techniques, whatever it takes to drive numbers up. I don't see anything wrong with any of that, no matter who's doing it. Also, it's often my other ships (Steroline, Jamie/Claire, now Bamon) that are up against Olicity in these things, so I'm probably a little more familiar with those fandoms and feel comfortable saying that they reflect the same broad spectrum as the Olicity fandom. No one has the moral highground when it comes to online popularity contests! :)

The E! polls were actually refreshing. Even when the voting was neck and neck, there really wasn't that much mud-slinging going on. I wonder if it's because the "Outlander" fandom might skew older? Aren't quite given to online histrionics? lol

I think it's the 8th, but the post says the 12th. I really hope it ends on the 8th :p 

Oh wow! I didn't realize the voting period is that long. Tumblr has been a lot of fun the last few days, though. And I don't mean in that in a sarcastic sense. People have been so creative with their reblogs. Like, authors have added fics. There are some Q&As going on. A friend posted a series of pics with shirtless Oliver. Anything to make the reblogs a little bit more interesting. So my dash has been rockin! :)

(edited)

I stumbled across this recently (not posted previously) - TV.com's Worst of 2014 Awards (warning!  Laurel/KC wins 4 or 5 of these awards, so if you're a LL fan, you may not want to go to the link) - however, these awards are for 2014, so most likely the results will change for 2015 since becoming the BC in S3B seems to have increased Laurel's popularity...

The Blowies 2014: TV.com's Worst Of The Year Awards (Users Edition) - WINNERS!!
By Grumpyclown  Jan 02, 2015
http://www.tv.com/topics/general-tv-discussion/community/post/the-blowies-2014-tvcoms-worst-of-the-year-awards-users-edition---winners-1420231116/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

THE 12TH?! UGH. I'm so bored of this contest already and it's all so messy, from all sides. I personally feel like it should be one like/one reblog vote per tumblr. Surely that would be a more accurate way of voting?

The sad thing is a lot of fans are doing this because Olicity would get an actual award and maybe a short clip from SA and EBR accepting it, but based on the timing I don't even see that happening because their schedules are different and they'll probably still be in different parts of the country. So it feels all for nothing tbh. 

Isn't the show starting filming around that time? Or maybe they'll pre-record something at Comiccon.

(edited)

Who is your choice for Favorite Character in Arrow Season 3? - another online poll from GreenArrowTV...

2015 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick Your Favorite Character From Arrow Season 3!

June 30, 2015 Craig Byrne

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/2015-greenarrowtv-awards-pick-your-favorite-character-from-arrow-season-3

Looking at that list made me realize something. That I've gotten to the point where I care more about the recurring/guest characters (all the ladies plus Deadshot and Maseo) on the show than I do the mains. :( I reached that point with OUAT when the Frozen arc ended last season and I realized I cared more about Anna and Elsa than any of the main characters. While not making a conscious choice to stop watching, I've never gotten around to watching season 4B.

I still kind of hope Arrow can make me care again by the time LoT launches, but if not....the show may end up going the way of OUAT.

Edited by Starfish35
While not making a conscious choice to stop watching, I've never gotten around to watching season 4B.

And you were right to avoid it. It's really horrible. I mean, Teen Wolf season 4 horrible. Glee seasons 4 or 5 horrible. Yeah, that bad.

Once is actually one of the few shows where I really like the main character but I had to stop watching even despite that because the show's a mess.

As for Arrow, I've had this problem for a while now, which is why I've had to drop it after s2 and especially Sara's death. I still think I'll have to tune in for Sara's resurrection if it gets a focus in a few eps, but that's it.

• Love 1

( I reached that point with OUAT when the Frozen arc ended last season and I realized I cared more about Anna and Elsa than any of the main characters. While not making a conscious choice to stop watching, I've never gotten around to watching season 4B.

I stopped watching OUAT after season 2. I came back for the Frozen arc because of Elizabeth Mitchell. While I did enjoy it. I also realized that I was watching it only for the Frozen characters. So I didn't bother watching 4B. 

I've watched a lot of OUAT 4B but I think I have the last five episodes on my DVR that I'm just dreading.  At this point I think I'll do what I did last year and save them until after the new season comes out so I can watch the terrible stuff that I can see telegraphed a mile away and then go right into the fix. 

Who is your choice for Favorite Character in Arrow Season 3? - another online poll from GreenArrowTV...

2015 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick Your Favorite Character From Arrow Season 3!
June 30, 2015 Craig Byrne
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/2015-greenarrowtv-awards-pick-your-favorite-character-from-arrow-season-3

Lately I've spent too much time in Ksite's forums, literally the only voice not anti Olicity.  I'm not asking for anyone to dive in to the fray, it's my own perverse nature that sends me back there (though if any one was so inclined, look for me under Cast and Characters) but I have to admit a great longing to see a tidal wave of a showing for a particular favorite character.   I am so beyond weary of hearing that Felicity is responsible for ruining season three, Oliver Queen and basically the whole show. 

So vote, my pretties.  Vote!  (Hey, at least it is a one and done thing)

Already voted.

Sometimes I wonder what it would look like if all of the Tumblr fans who write amazing metas/reviews actually commented on sites or went on forums. I appreciate that some people want to just focus on the positive and making art, but it would be nice if they unleashed some of that enthusiasm elsewhere. Whenever I see an article link there is always a PSA about leaving a positive comment and occasionally I will scroll down the article and see 5 positive among 30 negative. But the article link will have 500 reblogs with a bunch of excited chatter between fans. It's a little frustrating. 

I think it's super normal? People with like-minded opinions on the same subject tend to gather together in one space; those who oppose that opinion tend to gather somewhere else. A few people will crossover, but that's the norm. And especially in fandom, it's supposed to be *fun*, so I completely get these formation of bubbles that happen. Felicity is dear to folks on Tumblr and here. So the people who love her will stick to those places, and not venture anywhere else.

I do find it super hilarious forever that the 3 fannish places that openly loathe Felicity are the three forums widely considered cesspools of misogyny -- IMDb, Reddit, KSite. I'm not going to those spaces because they offend me on principle. I figure other feminists feel the same way.

• Love 14
(edited)

I'm not sure you could call Reddit a cesspool of misogyny because there are very, very different subs. The only one I post regularly in is very progressive. But you're right about the more popular sub-reddits, I guess. I never read the comments there.

I think it's super normal? People with like-minded opinions on the same subject tend to gather together in one space; those who oppose that opinion tend to gather somewhere else.

There is a big problem with this, and that's the so-called circle-jerking phenomenon. I notice a lot of this on these very boards, TBH. It's not so bad mostly, but still very noticeable at times. I mean, I can't stand Laurel myself, but I still feel bad for people who dare to defend her because they generally get 10+ posts that elaborate on how wrong they are. And God forbid if you say anything against Olicity... And there are other boards here with similar problems (I even have to avoid one because any real discussion is impossible there).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

That's the nature of the beast in every fandom space I've ever been since I first got into X-Files fandom. Even in moderated forums like this one, there's no way to control the hivemindness of fandom. I don't see it as a problem. Honestly? I don't wanna be in a fandom space that doesn't cater to my likings. If I can't find the like-minded folks in a particular fandom, I'm just not gonna be participating in that fandom. Simple as that for me. I'm currently going through a crazy 'shipping spiral in a different fandom. I looked up the places where the show is talked about, nowhere caters to my preferences, and so I'm being a fangirl by myself in my own head without talking to anyone about it. And I don't wanna be talked down in those spaces.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. What's up with the crazy MTV reblogging? Is it over yet? Can I take every Arrow-related tag ever off Tumblr savior? I'm afraid to look.

• Love 7

Basically if things are going the way they are now Olicity will win because they have about a 1.3 million lead and growing. The tags are still not safe though so I suggest waiting till the 8th or the 12th to take it all off Tumblr savior

• Love 1

Not safe. Not safe at all. lol

I'm find the accusations of cheating rather hilarious. Some voters trying to report each side to MTV. It's MTV. It's a poll based on reblogs. MTV is probably thrilled with this poll right now.

That's the nature of the beast in every fandom space I've ever been since I first got into X-Files fandom. Even in moderated forums like this one, there's no way to control the hivemindness of fandom. I don't see it as a problem. Honestly? I don't wanna be in a fandom space that doesn't cater to my likings. If I can't find the like-minded folks in a particular fandom, I'm just not gonna be participating in that fandom. Simple as that for me. I'm currently going through a crazy 'shipping spiral in a different fandom. I looked up the places where the show is talked about, nowhere caters to my preferences, and so I'm being a fangirl by myself in my own head without talking to anyone about it. And I don't wanna be talked down in those spaces.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. What's up with the crazy MTV reblogging? Is it over yet? Can I take every Arrow-related tag ever off Tumblr savior? I'm afraid to look.

I'm curious..Shipper spiral?

I dunno, TWOP was a place where I saw actual discussion without it usually descending into circle-jerking. Although maybe some boards were still like that, I dunno.

I know what it's like to not have any place to talk about stuff I like because this is generally what I have to do (e.g. I literally have no place to discuss anime I watch because 99% of discussion of the medium is horribly shallow). There are exceptions though, but not as many as I'd like.

• Love 1

TWOP could be brutal to characters that the majority of a forum hated. It was always more mockage than full-on hatred, but it could get nasty. And really, I don't see anything wrong with that. Loathing fictional characters is part of fandom life. Mockage and snark ensue. When/if it gets out of hand, it's up to me to decide if I wanna deal with that, or if I wanna leave that place. My bottom line is, I can only curate my own participation on any fandom, and I really really REALLY appreciate it when I find places that sync up with my preferences. Like this Arrow forum.

I'm curious..Shipper spiral?

Haha. Kara/Danny on The Last Ship. Mind you, I'm not even fully watching the show because I can't look at Adam Baldwin's face. But I'm crazy 'shipping and YouTubing everything and I regret nothing. :)

• Love 1

I dunno, TWOP was a place where I saw actual discussion without it usually descending into circle-jerking. Although maybe some boards were still like that, I dunno.

I know what it's like to not have any place to talk about stuff I like because this is generally what I have to do (e.g. I literally have no place to discuss anime I watch because 99% of discussion of the medium is horribly shallow). There are exceptions though, but not as many as I'd like.

I think TWOP was a bigger site and had a more varied range of opinions and discussion. Have you tried SpoilerTV? I think they get more business there and tend to see a wider range of opinions, especially for non shippers

Voting ends on the 8th at 9 p.m. so hopefully it'll be quieter after that :)

Julie Plec apparently added fuel to the fire last night when she replied to a tweet and fans took it to imply she's saying the MTV Ship of the Year award may already be fixed in Olicity's favor. (She apologized later and said she was joking. In another tweet, she mentioned being two seasons behind on Arrow but being a fan of Felicity's).

It's weird, but a lot of the back and forth I'm seeing both on Twitter and Tumblr is actually within the TVD fandom.

• Love 1

I think TWOP was a bigger site and had a more varied range of opinions and discussion. Have you tried SpoilerTV? I think they get more business there and tend to see a wider range of opinions, especially for non shippers

Ugh have you actually read the discussions there? I tend to read (but not participate) in the Avclub comments for some shows but that's it. Most other places don't offer any intelligent discussion, people are simply shouting their opinions. I wouldn't be here if this place didn't have any interesting arguments/observations, i just feel like there's a bit too much vitriol overall and shipping tends to overtake the discussion way more often than I'd like (not just Arrow board).

(edited)

I have a feeling the results will be interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if Felicity won fav character but was also in the top three for least.

I'm curious, too. I had the feeling that mostly, people who didn't like Felicity to start with and comics destineeee fans took advantage of the poor writing in general to get more vocal and were joined by the "Romance, Eww!" crew, who oppose ships in general and popular ones in particular (as is their right); not that she had gained so many haters.

Of course, the former group seems to be a big part of that site's audience; but it will be interesting anyway.

People who liked Felicity before seemed mostly to think she was written OOC and/or blamed the writers, the angst overload, or Ray (it was a tough call between him and guess who for worst character, but I voted "useful" since he, at least, will be finally off Arrow soon) and didn't seem to turn against her. That's at least the vibe I got from this supposedly very "pro-Felicity" board. Of course, it's just an impression and I could be very wrong.

Edited by Happy Harpy
(edited)

I remember when the worst episodes poll came out some people complained that their comments critical of the BC arc weren't being posted or being deleted.

I've learned that comments don't mean jack to the results. That comic poll had a lot of negative comments about Felicity and she won by a landslide. I remember last year she won but came in 4th for least. You can't tell. Worst IMO should be a toss up to Ras, Chase and Palmer.

Edited by 10Eleven12

I voted DJ Douchebad.  He was terrible on every level AND in the end was pointless.  At least Carrie Cutter was entertaining in her crazy.  At least Ra's has plot purposes.  At least Laurel let us have more Nyssa.  At least Ray got to be a hilarious contrast to Oliver in one episode and was generous with airplanes and companies.  At least I still love Quentin even if I feel the need to smack him.  At least Waller was barely on and like Ra's - had some plot purpose.  Yeah, Chase was pointless, pompous and puerile. 

• Love 1