Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Many Masters

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

For all the strangeness in this episode, Obie eating that scorching Hot Pocket freaked me out the most.

That was the moment where I wondered if Obie was a demon. I could barely eat a regular Hot Pocket when I was a kid, let alone one that was smoking hot!

Krystal's idea to have Cody propose at that 3am meeting was pretty brilliant. It worked on everyone except Obie! I thought that Carole's obvious desperation would have been enough for Obie not to choose them. Then again, it worked out for Obie since her desperation translated into "I will get down on my hands and knees to clean this place and smile while I'm doing it."

What's sad is that I've seen people do stuff like this in real life. People idolize some random person for whatever reason and they bend over backwards for the privilege of serving them.

I was surprised that Carroll (the husband) was so forthright in asking Obie why he wasn't making more money. I thought he would keep up the "we're so successful!" facade especially in front of Obie.

• Love 13

The cult of personality surrounding Obie is so creepy, especially now that we have seen him in action and behind the scenes. I mean, eating that scalding hot pocket?! Is he a literal monster?! It sadly really nails this kind of environment where everyone bows and scrapes to this person, literally on their hands and knees cleaning up his garbage off the floor, and considering it a privilege. Even Carole and her husband arent really living the affluent FAM life that they are trying to put fourth for everyone, at least financially behind the scenes, which makes me wonder if anyone is really doing well, or if everyone is just in ridiculous debt, still trying in vein to win the Garbo System and look impressive. 

That engagement idea of Crystals was pretty brilliant, and really managed to impress everyone except for Obie. Now that Cody is in the inner circle (after killing a pelican) what will this mean for Crystal and her splashercise game plan? He seems to be pretty into her, in a messed up way, and he and Crystal both need someone to be married to I guess to succeed in FAM land.  

• Love 7
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was surprised that Carroll (the husband) was so forthright in asking Obie why he wasn't making more money

It was driving me crazy where I knew the actor who played Carroll from, then I realized he played the dad on the Disney show 'Good Luck Charlie'. He's wearing a wig so that threw me off. I was waiting for him or his wife to finally snap.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

It was driving me crazy where I knew the actor who played Carroll from, then I realized he played the dad on the Disney show 'Good Luck Charlie'. He's wearing a wig so that threw me off. I was waiting for him or his wife to finally snap.

He is on Lodge 49 also.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The cult of personality surrounding Obie is so creepy, especially now that we have seen him in action and behind the scenes. I mean, eating that scalding hot pocket?! Is he a literal monster?!

I realized during this last ep that I'm low-key spending the series waiting for someone (Krystal) to kill Obie. Not waiting for him to die, because during the several fakeouts in this episode I kept yelling at the screen that he couldn't die since he deserved to be murdered. Krystal or the mysterious man with his life ruined should do it, but really anyone can. Ernie can. Cody can. Newly bitter "Security" Guy can. He just needs a violent death.

I'm trying to piece together whether this show is rocking with any actual mythology or if it's just leaning in to those eerie elements. The water, the fire, the dead animals, the different takes on "god." Whatever they're doing, it makes for a super-interesting atmosphere. 

I've never seen this kid playing Cody in anything before, but he's impressing me. He held his own with Skarsgard and he's holding his own with Kirsten Dunst too. And he was willing to dunk his head into a toilet. Good for him.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

the mysterious man with his life ruined

I forgot to mention him. When Krystal went outside to have a cigarette when dinner was served (what the heck was that, did they say FAM Helper like Hamburger Helper?)... anyway, when she was outside I thought maybe the place would explode because that guy had planted explosives. Then when she was watching Obie through the window I expected the guy to have poisoned his food or set up something to go off there or do something but then nothing happened.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I forgot to mention him. When Krystal went outside to have a cigarette when dinner was served (what the heck was that, did they say FAM Helper like Hamburger Helper?)

It was called “FAMburger Helper.” It’s good with a lot of salt and pepper on it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
9 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I forgot to mention him. When Krystal went outside to have a cigarette when dinner was served (what the heck was that, did they say FAM Helper like Hamburger Helper?)... anyway, when she was outside I thought maybe the place would explode because that guy had planted explosives. Then when she was watching Obie through the window I expected the guy to have poisoned his food or set up something to go off there or do something but then nothing happened.

Same here. Then I noticed his bizarre, manic expression and thought maybe they'd brainwashed or hypnotized him. Still later I thought maybe they'd bribed him with a job. Any ideas? 

Is the point of the Fam burger Helper that Obie doesn't want to "waste" any of his money on the minions who only exist to make him more? 

As completely cynical and loony as Obie is, to some degree he actually believes the bizarre garbage he's feeding his followers. He truly believes he's special and deserves everything, including followers willing to murder pelicans for him. In this he has, unfortunately, many real world role models. (Except for the pelican part. I think.) 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Is the point of the Fam burger Helper that Obie doesn't want to "waste" any of his money on the minions who only exist to make him more? 

That’s absolutely the point.  They should be grateful FAM even dropped coin on ground beef.

Also, don’t forget that they didn’t even serve alcohol.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Same here. Then I noticed his bizarre, manic expression and thought maybe they'd brainwashed or hypnotized him. Still later I thought maybe they'd bribed him with a job. Any ideas? 

Brainwashed feels about right. I think he's been re-programmed in some way. I was reminded of both very "happy" $cientologists and people in the sunken place in Get Out.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, vibeology said:

Brainwashed feels about right. I think he's been re-programmed in some way. I was reminded of both very "happy" $cientologists and people in the sunken place in Get Out.

He totally had grandpa vibes from "Get Out", so I made that connection right away too... but I don't think he is brainwashed.  My theory is he managed to get hired on Obie's island as a worker and he is hoping for an opportunity to kill Obie - but he's afraid the island has constant surveillance so he couldn't break character & be honest with Krystal.  Of course, I might be totally off base.

• Love 5

I'm starting to get uncomfortable with where this show might be headed. I feel sorry for Cody, who is so willing to be treated poorly. Annoying as he is, I wish Krystal would show him some kindness. I also feel horrible Ernie got all those immigrants to buy into FAM.  And I hate to see any act of violence toward animals (even if I can tell myself this is just a show and it didn't really happen)....  Plus, I'm struggling with why so many people are blindly following Obie, who utterly lacks charisma. Normally people in his position get followers by their charm & magnetism, and I see none in him. Is it a statement that people are so desperate for something meaningful in their lives that they are willing to follow anyone?  Maybe. 

• Love 6

This is by far my new favorite show. It's so kooky and riveting. Finally something different and well written. Everyone is great in their role. Dunst is awesome as always and is the perfect lead. And Theodore Pellerin, what a debut! He's really fantastic. He's been able to portray Cody as simultaneously sleazy and empathetic. Obnoxious and endearing. And seamlessly transition between the two.  The intersection between cult and MLM  scheme is interesting. The people who tend to fall into these scams are well represented as well as those that know how to be users, from Krystal to Obie. I completely see Krystal as a survivor but her tactics and intentions as we know are not entirely pure. 

Obie is insane and a total narcissistic sociopath but I suspect he wasn't always this unhinged. It's hard to believe he was always at this level of crazy and managed to amass such a following. His mental and physical vulnerabilities will synch up perfectly with Krystal being able to get the better of him.

I want to know why Cody's father is in prison and why he won't see him.  

• Love 8

I just binged the first 5 episodes. Ill throw out all my thoughts.  This show is good. Crazy, weird, funny and dramatic.  I knew Kirsten Dunst would be amazing and she is. Hell she was acting circles around everyone in Interview with the Vampire.  Glad she has such a great role. 

I'm very impressed with Theodore Pellerin. I have not seen him in much and I am sitting and watching thinking Damn he is good. 

Ted Levine knew he would be fun to watch.  Alexander Skarsgård was goofy lol and since he was knew he would not make it. 

I like Krystal but I wonder what this desperation will do to her? I get the sense she could take over or form her own scheme/cult. Honest this feels more like a Cult then a Pyramid scheme. Travis left her in a bind and that is on him so I could see at first her acting this way.  I think she may go deeper.  It was funny though seeing her honestly laugh when Cody put his head in the toilet.  She does not laugh much.

Speaking of Cody he fell hard and fast. He can be a jerk or sleazy  when it comes to Fam but when he is alone with Krystal he acts so different. His voice even changes it becomes softer and more vulnerable. It is sweet but pathetic at the same time.  She is older and in more control of the relationship and I do not see that much play out. I wonder what will happen with that.

Obie naturally was impressed when Cody killed the Pelcan and now Cody has a gun hmmm.

Ernie is a nice guy but he can also be suckered way too easily. I am surprised it took him so long to say yes and become a member of Fam.

Great first few episodes and I look forward to the next 5.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 3
On 9/18/2019 at 8:27 PM, Snewtsie said:

I'm starting to get uncomfortable with where this show might be headed. I feel sorry for Cody, who is so willing to be treated poorly. Annoying as he is, I wish Krystal would show him some kindness. I also feel horrible Ernie got all those immigrants to buy into FAM.  And I hate to see any act of violence toward animals (even if I can tell myself this is just a show and it didn't really happen)....  Plus, I'm struggling with why so many people are blindly following Obie, who utterly lacks charisma. Normally people in his position get followers by their charm & magnetism, and I see none in him. Is it a statement that people are so desperate for something meaningful in their lives that they are willing to follow anyone?  Maybe. 

There is nothing charming about him at all. Are all the Fam members masochistic? Cody is for sure and that is why he wants to be with Krystal. If he is a Rothschild, than he must be loaded and that might solve all her financial problems.

I thought this series would be a scathing look at MLM companies and it seems to be more an avant-garde analysis of the human condition. I sometimes do not know what to make of it. 

On a shallow note, KD’s body is snatched! I am a little younger than her and I wished I looked so right and tight. I do hate her nude lip gloss but it suits the character.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, vibeology said:

I'm glad you brought up Scientology! Everything I know about MLMs has come from the people on the bottom of the pyramid sharing their experiences, so I don't know what kind of lunacy happens nearer the top (but I'm not surprised that it's more poverty), so maybe this is genuinely a portrayal of an MLM scheme, but Obie Garbeau is giving me serious L. Ron Hubbard vibes. Just the way he swans around the place like an unhinged person who should not be trusted about anything ever, the way he somehow convinces people to throw their money at him hand over fist in the thin hope that they might be able to eventually buy what he's selling, the way people will literally get down on their hands and knees to clean up his messes out of desperation because they have nothing left in their lives but what he's offered them, and his "affirmations" in the recording booth seem modeled specifically on the set of bizarre affirmations that L. Ron Hubbard wrote for himself, including statements like, "You have no fear of what any woman may think of your bedroom conduct. Some women are not capable of pleasure," and "Snakes are not dangerous to you. There are no snakes at the bottom of your bed."

Even in the next episode,

Spoiler

when Cody reveals that he was let in on information about the system that only a privileged few are privy to (that the system doesn't work, but sales from the books and tapes are what make Obie and his inner circle rich) reminded me of a) the books and tapes that Scientologists are required to buy, and b) the way the story of Xenu is revealed to Scientologists in a highly strategic fashion only after they've sunk years and potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars into the "church," because by that point they psychologically have no choice but to believe it and stay, because admitting they were wrong after everything they've sacrificed and how high they've climbed in the system is impossible.

I generally think of MLMs being sold to people as a money-making opportunity, but the show seems to be merging that with ideas of "faith" and community, such that Garbeau is both a con artist AND a cult leader, and they've chosen to model him directly off Hubbard. It could be that MLMs really are very similar to cults, I'm not sure how much faith typically factors in, but I really like the way they are hitting this angle as a way of explaining how people get roped into these scams, and why they stay when nothing seems to be paying off.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 2:17 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

I've never seen this kid playing Cody in anything before, but he's impressing me. He held his own with Skarsgard and he's holding his own with Kirsten Dunst too. And he was willing to dunk his head into a toilet. Good for him.

He's definitely got some acting chops, and he's perfect in this role opposite Kirsten.