Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I LOVED this show!

It came at a time when I was getting ready to go to India, so I missed how Michaela and Sully made up/got back together after that hostage kissed Sully and insisted they belonged together.

It's late, but I will have more thoughts later.

I never watched this show when it first aired, but happened to notice a year or so ago that INSP was starting their rotation over with the pilot.  I started watching it and enjoyed most of them.  However, I found it interesting that they skipped three episodes.  (And, I check now and then and those don't seem to be shown during any of the airings.)  They are 'Halloween' (where Brian and the others try to conjure up ghosts), 'The First circle' (where Robert E. and Grace buy a house in town and some of the men join the local KKK), and 'The Permanence of change' (where Dr. Quinn substitute teaches at the school and teaches about evolution).  I can see why a religious (wholesome?) channel might skip those because of the subject matter, but so many others deal with adult subjects as well.  (treatment of the Native Americans, prostitution, alcoholism, murder, anti-Semitism, and all of the death/dying that is in every episode).  They even aired another episode that had something to do with Robert E. and Grace's house--I think it was the one where their son was enrolled in the 'white' school and racial slurs were painted on the front of the house (blurred out, I noticed).  There were also two other Halloween episodes that dealt with subjects like Frankenstein and even other ghosts.  There was also an episode about dinosaur bones, but I can't remember if evolution vs. Bible was discussed.

• Love 1

I really hated the retcon they did on Colleen after Dr. Mike and Sully got married. I remember clearly, in the second season, I think it was, when Sully was shot in the back by the Army and Colleen was treating him? She knew full well how to ride a horse; there was no fear; she was galloping with it.

Then we have the episode of her sneaking out at night, acting like a wild child, afraid of horses...afraid to get on a horse, blah, blah, blah. It was beyond irksome, and I was soooo excited when Original Colleen was back, but damn, it was for only one episode. Dammit show, for getting my hopes up!

• Love 3

I loved this show growing up, but watching it again as an adult, it is not as good as I remembered. But Sully is just as good looking as I remember, so.....

I really hated the retcon they did on Colleen after Dr. Mike and Sully got married. I remember clearly, in the second season, I think it was, when Sully was shot in the back by the Army and Colleen was treating him? She knew full well how to ride a horse; there was no fear; she was galloping with it.

Then we have the episode of her sneaking out at night, acting like a wild child, afraid of horses...afraid to get on a horse, blah, blah, blah. It was beyond irksome, and I was soooo excited when Original Colleen was back, but damn, it was for only one episode. Dammit show, for getting my hopes up!

I hated the second Colleen too. I know this is shallow but I hated that big blob of freckles on her nose. And Belle Starr was right, she was a Miss Priss.

• Love 2

I never watched this show when it first aired, but happened to notice a year or so ago that INSP was starting their rotation over with the pilot.  I started watching it and enjoyed most of them.  However, I found it interesting that they skipped three episodes.  (And, I check now and then and those don't seem to be shown during any of the airings.)  They are 'Halloween' (where Brian and the others try to conjure up ghosts), 'The First circle' (where Robert E. and Grace buy a house in town and some of the men join the local KKK), and 'The Permanence of change' (where Dr. Quinn substitute teaches at the school and teaches about evolution).  I can see why a religious (wholesome?) channel might skip those because of the subject matter, but so many others deal with adult subjects as well.  (treatment of the Native Americans, prostitution, alcoholism, murder, anti-Semitism, and all of the death/dying that is in every episode).  They even aired another episode that had something to do with Robert E. and Grace's house--I think it was the one where their son was enrolled in the 'white' school and racial slurs were painted on the front of the house (blurred out, I noticed).  There were also two other Halloween episodes that dealt with subjects like Frankenstein and even other ghosts.  There was also an episode about dinosaur bones, but I can't remember if evolution vs. Bible was discussed.

No, they never air those three episodes. I find it interesting that they cherry picked those three. Not the rape of a young girl and hanging of the rapist, Washita with the massacre of the Cheyenne, etc. I get the evolution one due to their religious beliefs but as you say, what about the dinosaur episode? I think it might be that in the evolution epi they had to declare the young girl an animal to get her away from her abuser?

• Love 2

I suspect because it's the Inspirational channel, which is like a religious channel? So any episode related to "The Devil" "Witches" like the Halloween and evolution wouldn't be aired due to the topic? Basically what BooksRule said, which is stupid. Considering they air all the others. 

My thing is, if you're going to get the rights to a show, then air ALL the episodes, otherwise don't air it at all. This is the same grievance I have with Hallmark. Blah.  so glad I have all seasons on DVD.

(edited)

I'm at season 5 of binging the show and just realized how much the writing made me dislike his character that season. Dr.Mike should have had no patience for all his season 5/6 actions and all the danger he brought her, the kids and the family. The entire town never should have forgiven him.

I know it was to set up Daniel as better in case Joe didn't return, but it worked. 

Edited by Artsda

Hey all! I just found out by accident that Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman is now airing on MeTV! Which means less editing and hacking as is done on the Inspiration Channel! They just had the second season Christmas episode. So it's during the years before they recast Colleen! I much prefer the original Colleen. 

• Love 2

I liked both Colleens. Erica played the character as much more of a whiner, but she also was younger and many teenage girls are whiners.  Jessica seemed to be more mature, but she also was older and almost an adult.

• Love 4
On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎22 at 11:39 PM, Artsda said:

I'm at season 5 of binging the show and just realized how much the writing made me dislike his character that season. Dr.Mike should have had no patience for all his season 5/6 actions and all the danger he brought her, the kids and the family. The entire town never should have forgiven him.

I know it was to set up Daniel as better in case Joe didn't return, but it worked. 

What exactly did you not like? As far as I remember, Sully did what he had to do.

He didn't have to become a wanted man. He chose to make those decisions he did that caused the escape and massacre it resulted in. Mike tried to warn him and I think others too, but Sully had to do what he wanted to do.  The dog soldiers going after the Army and the town. The burning of houses (Jake's wife etc..) all was because of the what Sully did. He was wanted and on the run for a reason. His kids needed him, his wife needed him, the new baby needed him. They had to put up with the soldiers coming to the house and watching them, tearing the house apart and scaring them all. 

I just found out that all seasons are streaming on Amazon (and free with Prime). I'm now midway through season 3 and am kind of startled at how many of the issues we deal with today were covered.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2017 at 8:56 AM, Furienna said:

I liked both Colleens. Erica played the character as much more of a whiner, but she also was younger and many teenage girls are whiners. 

Yes, but don't forget this was a different time - the entire concept of "teenager" basically didn't even exist until the 1930s/40s. A girl Colleen's age back then would have been expected to act more adult, as she would have also been expected to shoulder more adult responsibilities than the average similar age girl today. Colleen acting "teenagery" would be more of a projection for the expectation of modern audiences than based in reality. So the Colleen played by Jessica would likely be more on target.

• Love 1

My least favourite character has to be the pastor. I didn't like how they made him blind in the show.  Even Hank had some growth by the end of the series run. 

I did enjoy Ally Mills as Michaela's sister. Especially when she grew a backbone and moved into her suffragette role. 

Best growth from the first season to the end has to be Loren and Jake. 

• Love 1

Why is nobody talking about what a terrible actor Brian was? He was cute in the first few seasons but after that all I could focus on was his terrible acting. I also didn’t like Colleen #2, she wasn’t nearly the actress Colleen #1 was. For me it ruined the show, I quit watching after the switch. 

• Love 2

I could never get over the unrealistic nature of his relationship with “Dr. Mike”. There’s no way a man like Sully would have fallen in love with someone like her. He would have gone for a young a Native American woman, not an older doctor who didn’t share half his beliefs. I thought the tension between them was good, but it should have stayed that way. 

Having rewatched a few episodes recently since it's free with Amazon prime, I can't say that I necessarily see him with a young Native American woman, but I did find Michaela mostly annoying most of the time, snooty at times, and too stubborn to reason with the rest of the time (I mean I think pretty much everyone annoyed me during the rewatch, except for Robert E. and Horace). What a town of really obnoxious (to put it mildly) people!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I've just started watching the show again and the opening credits and theme music never gets old. It's so movie like. I saw Joe Lando on B&B today. He's a little grayer and the hair is shorter but he looks amazing.

• Love 5

Michaela and Sully were by far the most annoying characters. Always righteous and virtuous. Everyone else was a close minded bigot, but not Michaela and Sully. They were wholesome to the core, always putting others above themselves and never judgmental of anyone. They always had the right opinions and the right answers. Having said that, I absolutely loved the show, especially the early seasons. 

• Love 4

I never watched this show while it was on.  This show, along with 7th Heaven, were 2 of my moms favorites.  I started watching Dr Quinn on Hallmark a couple of months ago. 

Last night (this morning, whatever you consider 3am), I saw the last episode where Colleen gets married.  I was excited for the next episode to be S1/E1, I've never seen how she came to the town or acquired the children.  Instead, they skip S1/E's1&2 & start with E3!  Guess I'll have to Netflix it. 

I've been catching a few reruns on tv in the evenings sometimes...and this time around, I'm struck by how clean everything seems! Considering it's a dusty/muddy frontier town, you really don't see much fallout from that.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 6:09 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I've been catching a few reruns on tv in the evenings sometimes...and this time around, I'm struck by how clean everything seems! Considering it's a dusty/muddy frontier town, you really don't see much fallout from that.

Also ridiculous how there was rarely snow on the ground, not to mention everyone was always eating outside at Grace's cafe...in the middle of winter...in Colorado Springs!

I wonder if the cast would ever consider another reunion - seems like every other 90s show is being rebooted.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I wonder if the cast would ever consider another reunion - seems like every other 90s show is being rebooted.

Not to mention, Jane Seymour basically looks the same today as she did while on the show...

• Love 3
On 7/2/2019 at 6:40 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

Also ridiculous how there was rarely snow on the ground, not to mention everyone was always eating outside at Grace's cafe...in the middle of winter...in Colorado Springs!

That's what I always found funny, you would have thought at some point she would have had to move into a wooden shack at least!

Was I th only one disappointed when Horace's marriage fell apart? They fought so hard to get married and he worshipped the ground she walked on.

• Love 3
On 7/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, Starleigh said:

That's what I always found funny, you would have thought at some point she would have had to move into a wooden shack at least!

Was I th only one disappointed when Horace's marriage fell apart? They fought so hard to get married and he worshipped the ground she walked on.

I had wondered about the weather also.  Even the Christmas episodes,  there's no snow. 

I'm always amazed at how perfect Dr. Quinn's hair always looks,  shiny and clean.  She wears it either straight or in a braid during work but on Sunday's for church or a special occasion,  she has it up in this fancy style,  sometimes with banana curls cascading down.  I wondered how she did that on her own... unless Sulley took some lessons.  But never any evidence of her galloping on a horse or riding through the woods along dirt trails and roads.   Even on Little House they'd show people getting off of the stage full of dirt. 

I just saw the episode when Myra left Horace.   It broke my heart!  

• LOL 2

See the thing about her hair that bugged me was the way she'd wear it hanging down even while doing surgery! I know they didn't scrub down etc the way doctors do now, but still, it would be getting in the way not to mention probably getting blood spattered! 

Really, what bugged me the most is the way there was no privacy in her examining room. The patient's table was literally right in front of the door to the street. And no privacy curtain!

• Love 1
On 12/13/2015 at 5:30 AM, LadyNebula said:

I remember seeing the KKK episode on INSP, but it was a long time ago.  I also remember that they blurred out the racist remarks that were painted on Grace and Robert E's home.

I caught that ep recently on Hallmark.  Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

• Love 2