Type keyword(s) to search

Breaking the Fourth Wall: She-Hulk in the Media

• Start Topic

I rarely complain about special effects, but no. This looks cheap and nasty. They aren't even trying. The tone is like nails on a chalkboard too. Unless they have a better trailer on the way, this looks utterly missable.

• Love 2

Since they chose not to use a human painted green as She-Hulk, I thought the CGI was fine. They were already way behind in production from this choice, I am guessing they will keep working on it right up until it airs. I am sure that choice ruined their budget.

I did like the trailer and will definitely be watching. It's just the CGI that needs work. It's easier to ignore it on the Hulk since he's so big and unnatural anyway. With Jennifer they went more normal looking and it's more noticeable. 

• Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Tone = Good

CGI = [Barkley]Turrible[/Barkley]

I mean - this is Disney/Marvel, so we know they can do better. But to be fair, it's harder to make a digital 'human' look convincingly real than a robot suit. Well, they've got a couple of months.

Poster could use some work too, though:

FS-8x7TVIAAe8Ra?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Trini
(edited)

Yeah, the CGI looks.... questionable, at best.  I know Disney+ series won't quite have the same budget at major films, but it seems pretty off even by that standard.  Still a few months away, so maybe they have time to tweak it?

Other than that though, I'm in.  Tatiana Maslany is never not awesome, and I think she'll be a great fit in the role.  Already enjoying the rapport between her and Mark Ruffalo.  Also curious to see how Tim Roth will fare as well this go around.  Marvel seems to be all about bringing back characters/performers that might have not worked initially and giving them a second chance!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

I’m also looking forward to seeing LA in the show. I vaguely recall Tony Stark had a house on the west coast in IM2 and Captain Marvel did a bit in 1990s downtown LA, but overall NYC has gotten much more shine in the MCU. Hell, between the Ant-Man films and Shang-Chi, SF has probably had more screen time than LA.

(edited)

I just read that the series is now 9 episodes long, did they lose an episode?

OK, I just read that they did lose an episode.

She-Hulk-Titania.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=943

Jameela Jamil as Titania.

Edited by AnimeMania
10 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I just read that the series is now 9 episodes long, did they lose an episode?

Between WandaVision, What If?, and She-Hulk, it looks like the MCU is developing a curse where the ten ep shows all end up at 9 episodes.

(edited)

‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law’: First Trailer Introduces Jennifer Walters
BY RACHEL PAIGE   May 17, 2022
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/she-hulk-first-trailer-jennifer-walters-disney-plus 

During The Walt Disney Company’s 2022 Upfront presentation today, executive producer Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios and chief creative officer of Marvel, welcomed star Tatiana Maslany to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as the pair shared details about the upcoming series —  including the August 17 launch date exclusively on Disney+! 

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law follows Jennifer Walters as she navigates the complicated life of a single, 30-something attorney who also happens to be a green 6-foot-7-inch superpowered hulk. The nine-episode series welcomes a host of MCU vets, including Mark Ruffalo as Smart Hulk, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/the Abomination, and Benedict Wong as Wong. The cast also includes Ginger Gonzaga, Josh Segarra, Jameela Jamil, Jon Bass and Renée Elise Goldsberry.

Directed by Kat Coiro (Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9) and Anu Valia (Episodes 5, 6, 7) with Jessica Gao as head writer, the series is executive produced by Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Brad Winderbaum, Kat Coiro, and Jessica Gao. Co-executive producers are Wendy Jacobson and Jennifer Booth.

Edited by tv echo

'She-Hulk' Adds 'Flight Attendant' Star Griffin Matthews in Recurring Role (Exclusive)
By Stacy Lambe   May 31, 2022
https://www.etonline.com/she-hulk-adds-flight-attendant-star-griffin-matthews-in-recurring-role-exclusive-184884 

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law has added The Flight Attendant star Griffin Matthews to the cast, ET has exclusively learned. He will play a recurring character who will appear opposite Tatiana Maslany as Jennifer Walters, a lawyer who handles superhuman-related legal cases. 

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would join the Marvel Universe!” Griffin tells ET about joining the MCU. “This was never a genre that I thought an actor like me (in my package) could fit into.” 

He adds, “The most exciting part of joining the MCU was being told by our director and writers: ‘Do not try to fit. Just be you.’ And that gave me the freedom to run wild…”

Summer TV Shows We Can't Wait to See: Evil, Ms. Marvel, The Boys, Andor, Queer as Folk, Floor Is Lava and More
By Team TVLine / May 30 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/summer-tv-best-shows-2022/ 

SHE-HULK? Or... MS. MARVEL? (Disney+)
Sorry to be indecisive, but this is a coin toss. On the one hand, you have Emmy winner Tatiana Maslany hulking out in a self-described comedy. (And for the nitpickers, the so-so CGI that drew scoffs in the first trailer has already been upgraded.) On the other hand, we’ve actually seen episodes of Ms. Marvel starring Iman Vellani, and it is an absolute delight, plus it is known to feed into the Captain Marvel movie sequel. (Ms. Marvel premieres Wednesday, June 8; She-Hulk: Attorney at Law premieres Wednesday, Aug. 17)

I am not remotely bothered by the CGI. Maybe I’m just easy that way. This drops on my 50th birthday and I’m ready for it.

And I love that they aren’t being coy about breaking the fourth wall.

• Love 8

Yeah, I'm honestly at the point where I won't give a damn if the CGI is shoddy, if the show lives up to what the trailers are advertising.  Tatiana Maslany looks like she's going to be a blast as She-Hulk and, if anything, I feel like the CGI will almost work with this show's almost campy tone (I mean, Jameela Jamil's outfit looks like it would fit right in with the WWE/pro-wrestling.)  I'm all in.

Also, I'm all for Wong basically being this Phase's version of Nick Fury.  Get him on all of the MCU stuf

• Love 4
(edited)

SHE-HULK | Marvel Comic Con 2022 Panel (Tatiana Maslany, Jameela Jamil, Ginger Gonzaga)
Films That Rock   Jul 24, 2022

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law cast and producer on what to expect from Marvel's 'slice of life' comedy
By Sydney Bucksbaum  July 23, 2022
https://ew.com/events/comic-con/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-comic-con-2022-tatiana-maslany-jessica-gao/ 

You're legally obligated to laugh at She-Hulk: Attorney at Law. Just kidding! But it is Marvel's first comedy series, and when the cast and producer stopped by EW's Comic-Con video suite on Saturday, they revealed that Disney+'s upcoming legal comedy is different from anything that's come before in the MCU.

"What's really fun about this show is that in the Marvel movies, we get to see a lot of high stakes events — the universe is going to end, everyone in existence is going to go away," executive producer/head writer Jessica Gao says. "But what happens in between those events? What happens on a regular Tuesday when you just have to do laundry? That's really kind of the slice of life that this show explores."

"And someone broke your car when they were throwing it across the way or something," Ginger Gonzaga, who plays Nikki Ramos, jokes. "What are the legal ramifications of that?"
Series star Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black), who plays the titular green superhero also known as Jennifer Walters, answers: "A lot of documentation."

"This is the show of legal paperwork, which we knew was what the MCU fans were screaming for," Gao quips.

As Marvel's first half-hour comedy series, Gao says it was tough finding the right tone for the show. "I had a very specific idea of the tone that I wanted for the show, having come from comedy and really having thought about it for so long," she says. "But it was really tricky having to balance comedy and being light and irreverent and also very meta and self-aware, but also there's this kind of expectation of being part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and balancing all of the action and the drama and the plot, too."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

She-Hulk Star Teases Charlie Cox's 'Amazing' Daredevil Return
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   July 31, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/daredevil-charlie-cox-she-hulk-return 

After Marvel Studios' mega-sized panel at San Diego Comic-Con, She-Hulk star Tatiana Maslany talked about the confirmed inclusion of Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock in the MCU series. 

At the tail-end of the trailer, Daredevil appeared alongside Jennifer Walters on a rooftop, with the character wearing an upgraded costume. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

They probably saw what competing with Obi-Wan did to Ms. Marvel.

Makes sense, but I'm such an MCU stan I back-burnered Obi-Wan as soon as Ms Marvel started.

She-Hulk Changes Up Its Weekly Release Plan — Get New Premiere Date
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 3 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/08/03/she-hulk-new-release-date-thursday-august-18/ 

Tatiana Maslany will now “She-Hulk out” every Thursday, it was announced today ahead of Disney+’s appearance at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law as a result will now debut a day later, on Aug. 18, with subsequent episodes releasing every Thursday.
The nine-episode comedy series costars MCU vets Mark Ruffalo (as Bruce/Smart Hulk), Tim Roth (as Emil Blonsky/the Abomination) and Benedict Wong (as Wong), as well as Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil, Ginger Gonzaga (Wrecked) as Jennifer’s bestie Nikki Ramos, Renée Elise Goldsberry (Girls5eva) as Mallory, Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) as Titania, Jon Bass (Miracle Workers) and Josh Segarra (Arrow).

She-Hulk Team Teases 'Fun' Side of Daredevil, 'Great Chemistry' Between Actors: 'People Are Gonna Love It'
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 3 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/08/03/she-hulk-daredevil-charlie-cox-disney-plus-series/ 

Appearing virtually at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Wednesday, head writer Jessica Gao, series lead Tatiana Maslany and director Kat Coiro all were mum about what exactly goes down between Jennifer “Jen” Walters’ big, green alter ego and fellow legal eagle Matt’s Man Without Fear — let alone how She-Hulk might set up the recently announced Daredevil: Born Again series. But Maslany eventually offered up a personal rave.

“Charlie is amazing” and “does some great work” on She-Hulk, the Emmy-winning Orphan Black alum avowed. “The tone of our show is so different [from Netflix’s Daredevil], and to see his character in the tone of She-Hulk is really fun.”

Gao in turn teased that “to watch Matt Murdock and Jennifer Walters, She-Hulk/Daredevil, go toe-to-toe and match wits is something that people are gonna love.”

“Charlie and Tatianna have SUCH great chemistry together,” added Coiro. “It’s really, really fun seeing them together — like, it really has the vibe of like an old Howard Hawks movie” (e.g. Bogie and Bacall in The Big Sleep).

Balance | Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney at Law | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Aug 4, 2022

• Love 1
On 8/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, arc said:

Marvel just announced She-Hulk will debut on Thursday the 18th. Sounds like it’s a permanent move to Thursdays. 

So Disney+ just went "Dande, go have fun on your birthday. We'll be here when you're done."

FINE. I GUESS. WHATEVER.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1