Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Another Day in Thunder Bay

• Start Topic

Airs August 27th, 2019

Racers head to Thunder Bay, Ont., where a Face Off makes teams realize it could be anybody's game.

Not to imply TAR Canada's insistence on staying in Canada is bad or anything, but while we're exploring Ontario AGAIN this week,

Spoiler

TAR Israel is going to Nepal and TAR Vietnam is going to NORTH KOREA.

Edited by Giant Misfit
added spoiler tags
  • Love 1

An 8 hour (or more) train ride, then a 17 hour bus ride?  Was the budget cut this year?  At least go to Buffalo for an out of country experience.  Sarah getting the stink eye from her partner for helping another team.

• Love 1

Irina and Dave continue to be a**holes. Really, there is no need to write that they are “ first again”. 

I love Gouda and now really want some. 

Still routing for anyone but Irina and Dave.

And those falls were beautiful! Now I want to go to Thunder Bay just to see them.

Edited by Pepper the Cat
  • Love 8

Ugh David And Irina won this leg. When they're on top they are so insufferable it's impossible to cheer at their achievement in these challenges. That frowny face by Irina really puts her in the heel role. Sure she's cocky at being ahead but when the challenges got tough she gave up quite easily.  I'm dreading the idea that they could be in the finale or win it. Double Ugh.

Kudos to Anthony and James for trying to put smiley faces over the frowny ones.

Call me immature but I laughed when they said, "cut the cheese."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Pepper the Cat said:

That 17 hour bus ride had to be brutal! 

I cannot believe that they couldn’t have flown everyone to Thunder Bay

It might have less to do with budget and more with trying to make a brutal leg.

Please, anyone but Dave and Irina for the win.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Irina and Dave continue to be a**holes. Really, there is no need to write that they are “ first again”. 

In the first episode of this season Jet and Dave made some comment about how unpleasant they found Dave and Irina and at the time I thought they were overreacting to mere trash talk. Over time I have come around to the point of view that they take it too far. I could forgive them for lying about being axe-throwing champions but the way they gloated on the bus list was just obnoxious.

• Love 7

Reminder: If you're discussing other iterations of TAR, regardless of country, please add spoiler tags to your post. Please PM me with any questions.

I have to say that these challenges that have the teams dealing with food bother me.  The food that is prepared is never eaten by anybody for obvious reasons and it's just a waste of food.

I'm not the type of person who has ever said "finish your plate - there are starving children in Africa," but this is a situation where food is being willfully wasted.  I'd be happy not to see any of these types of challenges again on any form of TAR.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

In the first episode of this season Jet and Dave made some comment about how unpleasant they found Dave and Irina and at the time I thought they were overreacting to mere trash talk. Over time I have come around to the point of view that they take it too far. I could forgive them for lying about being axe-throwing champions but the way they gloated on the bus list was just obnoxious.

I REALLY, REALLY hope that there is some kind of karma that has them spectacularly crash and burn and lose the race in the most embarrassing fashion possible.

Being confident is one thing - the hockey player team who won many legs on a previous TARC were an excellent, confident team, but you didn't begrudge them that because they were never obnoxious snobs like Dave and Irina.  They truly get on my last nerve.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, aemom said:

I have to say that these challenges that have the teams dealing with food bother me.  The food that is prepared is never eaten by anybody for obvious reasons and it's just a waste of food.

I'm not the type of person who has ever said "finish your plate - there are starving children in Africa," but this is a situation where food is being willfully wasted.  I'd be happy not to see any of these types of challenges again on any form of TAR.

I read an interview with the judge from the Thunder Oak Cheese Farm and he said "They went through four wheels. It was insane... We couldn’t use any of the leftover cheese, so the camera men asked ‘This is garbage, right?’ and started munching on them.”(X)

So it did get eaten at least! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Was this another episode with no roadblock? They had the detour, the stamp challenge and the face off. But it seems like no RB. I really want to see Irina get stuck doing a roadblock she can't do, especially since at this point there is no way you can take a penalty.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Was this another episode with no roadblock? They had the detour, the stamp challenge and the face off. But it seems like no RB. I really want to see Irina get stuck doing a roadblock she can't do, especially since at this point there is no way you can take a penalty.

No Roadblock - or it was edited out.

That happens sometimes that a detour/roadblock/other thing is edited out of an episode for whatever reason.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:52 PM, redfish said:

Ugh David And Irina won this leg. When they're on top they are so insufferable it's impossible to cheer at their achievement in these challenges. That frowny face by Irina really puts her in the heel role. Sure she's cocky at being ahead but when the challenges got tough she gave up quite easily.  I'm dreading the idea that they could be in the finale or win it. Double Ugh.

I completely agree.  I find them both insufferable, but at least Dave has some ability and is the main reason they keep getting ahead (although I have to give Irina credit for her math skills in Waterloo).  Generally speaking, Irina gives up so easily with any physical challenge and it's tiresome to watch.  Honestly, what did she expect with this race?!

• Love 2

I'm daydreaming that, in the final, it is a race between Anthony&James vs Dave&Irina and they come to the final challenge. Irina must perform this one. She tears it open and the clue reads: "Be likable for a few minutes." A&J cruise to a win and D&I are still out there trying.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Not sad to see Arrthy and her partner go. I liked them at first, but Arrthy became a whiny sad sack with extreme vocal fry in the last couple episodes. Somebody put that toddler down for a nap! 

Really hope Anthony and James win this thing.  

• Love 5
On 8/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, weightyghost said:

We couldn’t use any of the leftover cheese, so the camera men asked ‘This is garbage, right?’ and started munching on them.”(X)

Why would it be garbage. Surely they can do something with it. Heck bring it to the local shelter and feed the homeless.  Something.  (I'm insulted that perfectly good cheese would get thrown out!!!!)

3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Why would it be garbage. Surely they can do something with it. Heck bring it to the local shelter and feed the homeless.  Something.  (I'm insulted that perfectly good cheese would get thrown out!!!!)

When they've been handling the cheese and potentially dropping it on the floor and whatnot, you can't pass that on after - even in a charity capacity.

None of the food ever prepared on these challenges are ever eaten by anybody.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Shelter houses often refuse food that's open and/or potentially contaminated. 

Thunder Oak certainly couldn't sell it straight out - particularly how the girls were cutting it. 

21 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

Shelter houses often refuse food that's open and/or potentially contaminated. 

Thunder Oak certainly couldn't sell it straight out - particularly how the girls were cutting it. 

Have they never sliced cheese before...or even seen how it comes in wedges? That was pure cheese butchery, and it hurt my cheese-loving heart!

• Love 1