Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

saoirse

S01.E04: The Table Read

Recommended Posts

I just can't get over how "lived in" this show feels. Everyone (main cast) is so natural and the dialogue is so true to their characters. I love it, and I hope they get a full season next year. 

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post

Re: the stalker, I like the Jamie Walters theory, but since I just watched ep. 4 while getting baked, here's my 420:

I think it's the girl who won the role of Jennie's daughter. As another poster said, something looked "off" about her ... and there was possibly something about her acting that may not have been acting. "I WANT YOU TO SEE ME."

Now, I'm going back to when Shannen was still on the OG 90210 and everyone on the old tyme internet was just learning how to snark. They hated Shannen and "the demon of her uneven eyes."

I'm just saying, that girl who won the part looked pretty uneven, whether they intentionally made her up that way or not. And Jennie did say something along the lines of how crazies come with the territory, you learn to ignore it all. Maybe she shouldn't have ignored it all?

Share this post


Link to post

I am enjoying this. Sure, it's not for everyone, but I admire them for being so self-deprecating and willing to make fun of themselves. There's  not enough Shannen though. The things that surprise me the most are: 1) how hot Ian looks (considering I used to find him butt ugly) and 2) how much I am enjoying Jennie here. She has great comedy timing. I used to hate Jennie and Kelly, and, regarding Jennie, maybe the years have mellowed me out, but I am loving her here. Loved the "A latte of love" Lifetime movie joke. 

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

I am loving this format- I would never have watched a straight reboot. This has been a perfect summer show, just like the first season of the original show.

 I don’t like the storyline with Gabby and Christine. I thought Gabby kissing the bartender was natural; making out with Christine is weird. It feels like it’s just because of proximity. It doesn’t help that I cannot stand “Christine”. All she does is yell at the cast like they are children and complain about how terribly everything is going. It’s not very subtle.

 I agree that in a perfect world the stalker would be TAT, but it probably isn’t.

Oh how I wish Luke Perry was alive and in this with the boys! 😢

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Norma Desmond said:

2) how much I am enjoying Jennie here. She has great comedy timing.

I loved her in What I Like About You. She's the reason I watched that. I had to google Latte of Love and that movie does not exist in real life.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, TeenMom69 said:

I loved her in What I Like About You. She's the reason I watched that. I had to google Latte of Love and that movie does not exist in real life.

She used this really high-pitched unnatural voice on that show which I assumed was her "comedy voice." I saw a couple of eps and found her/it terribly unfunny. 

I wish they'd made her fake movie a Hallmark movie instead of a Lifetime movie. Brendan Penny is a Hallmark Channel staple, so that would've been funnier.

I also hate Christine and Gabrielle together. I don't really understand what "Gabby" is doing or where things stand with her husband -- but even if she wants to explore her sexuality, getting with a co-worker seems really stupid for the head of SAG (or the fictional SAG of the show).

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the stalker plot is stupid? Its unnecessary and pulls focus from all the good stuff they're doing with the show. I don't think they needed something so gimmicky.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

I am really enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

They are hitting notes that hit the right spot for me.

They have really thought this out. 

OH I forgot my other 420, they're preparing for Tori's and Brian's spouses to leave them for one another. Mirroring one of the things Tori got skewered with a bunch of years ago where she left Charlie Shanian and Dean left his wife and their kid(s).

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

I am enjoying this. Sure, it's not for everyone, but I admire them for being so self-deprecating and willing to make fun of themselves. There's  not enough Shannen though. The things that surprise me the most are: 1) how hot Ian looks (considering I used to find him butt ugly) and 2) how much I am enjoying Jennie here. She has great comedy timing. I used to hate Jennie and Kelly, and, regarding Jennie, maybe the years have mellowed me out, but I am loving her here. Loved the "A latte of love" Lifetime movie joke. 

I’m in total agreement! Around the time of the last Sharknado movie, I thought, “When did Ian Ziering get hot?”... He’s legit attractive, which is so opposite of how I found him back in the day! He also had the WORST wardrobe, and now he looks fine. I wonder if that scene with the writer was a bit of a poke at that.

5 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the stalker plot is stupid? Its unnecessary and pulls focus from all the good stuff they're doing with the show. I don't think they needed something so gimmicky.

Peach Pit, party of two. I can’t stand the stalker plot. I feel like the show could benefit from taking Coco Chanel’s advice—take a look in the mirror and remove one accessory plot line before leaving the house...

46 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

Is it just me, or is the actress playing the writer totally terrible?

Nope... you’re welcome at my Peach Pit booth, too. I find her annoying.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

Doug emerson looks great!!

Is it just me, or is the actress playing the writer totally terrible?

7 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Peach Pit, party of two. I can’t stand the stalker plot. I feel like the show could benefit from taking Coco Chanel’s advice—take a look in the mirror and remove one accessory plot line before leaving the house...

Nope... you’re welcome at my Peach Pit booth, too. I find her annoying.

Party of three. Not only can I not stand the stalker plot, but I keep getting distracted by the actor who plays Zach-they look fake and huuge. And all I could do was 🙄🙄🙄at his pat answers and explanations.

The writer, from the minute she opened her mouth, looked like she had a personal axe to grind against Ian.

This “Jason” is an ungrateful ASS. His “not a chance” to Carol asking if there was a part for her in the show. Like he’s some great thespian. While I enjoyed his guest spot on Psych, I saw snippets of his series on ION’s Private Eyes and he just sounds and acts like Brandon.

I really thought there’d be more of Shannen, though, by now.

I know they’re playing fictionalized versions of themselves, but I’m constantly 🙄🙄🙄 that apparently, Jason, Gabby, and Jennie have been holding a grudge against Shannen for nearly 30 years. Shannen was the one fired, not them, from the original show.

I’m finding Christine and her constant yelling like nails on a chalkboard.

I’m just sticking it out for Shannen. Even if there is s second season, this just isn’t my cup of tea.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, jmonique said:

Disregard how Gabrielle and Christine making out feels like watching two bored soccer moms hook up after sending the kids off to college: There's just no spark.

Oh, speaking of soccer moms, I remembered Uncle Bob of Television Without Pity recapped the first season of Surreal Life, which had MC Hammer, Corey Feldman, Vince Neil, and Gabrielle on it, among others. IIRC, it was mildly amusing and rather unpredictably had Vince Neil seemingly to occasionally be interested in Gabrielle when there was a Playboy bunny wandering around.

To elicit DRAMA, the producers one evening had a naked woman covered in sushi appear lying on a table, for dinner. Corey Feldman and MC Hammer (who's a preacher now) threw a shit fit of moral indignation and left, but Vince Neil, Gabrielle and Jerri from Survivor calmly chowed down like it wasn't no thang, which threw Uncle Bob for a loop:

Gabby and Vince are outside truly enjoying this feast, which is kinda disturbing because I can't imagine Gabby as a bisexual soccer mom.

Uncle Bob was a prophet, but he simply didn't have the faith to believe in his own revelation.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m just sticking it out for Shannen. Even if there is s second season, this just isn’t my cup of tea.

I'm going to stick it out for this season, but then I think I'm done, too.  Even if they do perform some scenes in character, we've spent this whole first season watching them be train wrecks.  The stalker storyline is likely going to be a hot mess, and yes, I realize that Luke Perry has died, but how can the name Dylan McKay NOT work its way into at least one mention on this show?  Dylan was a character who set this series on fire.  How can he not be talked about at all?

Heck, Anna could have said something like "I've seen each episode twice.  When I found out I got this job, I even wrote some ideas about Dylan."  There are ways to include Dylan without explicitly referring to Luke's death.  Most people who watch this have probably watched the original, but if someone only watched this in isolation, they'd have very little understanding of Dylan's importance to the franchise.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

So, the BH part of the title is more like "Botox High", right?

So much pressure on women to keep looking young, when all it does, imo, is to make them look like they are a collection of plastic pieces put together and smoothed with make up. I think they look awful, except for Gabrielle, who looks more natural. And by awful I don't mean the relative concept of beauty. I mean that they look more like avatars of themselves.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I must be the only person who is genuinely liking this.  I watched the first season of Fuller House and then got bored because that was just way too cute for me.  This on the other hand fits my personality better maybe because the actors have grown up even if they haven’t grown up if that makes any sense.  It isn’t trying to be the same show it was 20 years ago.   I appreciate that.

Plus I am a fan of the Gabby story,   I don’t need  passionate passion that passions.  We aren't talking about 20 year olds here. We are talking about 40 somethings one of which is married and is trying to figure out if she has feelings for women.  I appreciate that the show isn't writing her as a teenager.

i would definitely watch a second season.  

Edited by Chaos Theory · Reason: Auto edit continues to hate me
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

We are talking about 40 somethings one of which is married and is trying to figure out if she has feelings for women.

In the case of both Gabby and Christine we are actually talking about 50-somethings, I believe. I wholly agree with the sentiment, though.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I must be the only person who is genuinely liking this.  I watched the first season of Fuller House and then got bored because that was just way too cute for me.  This on the other hand fits my personality better maybe because the actors have grown up even if they haven’t grown up if that makes any sense.  It isn’t trying to be the same show it was 20 years ago.   I appreciate that.

Plus I am a fan of the Gabby story,   I don’t need  passionate passion that passions.  We aren't talking about 20 year olds here. We are talking about 40 somethings one of which is married and is trying to figure out if she has feelings for women.  I appreciate that the show isn't writing her as a teenager.

i would definitely watch a second season.  

I am right there with you, I am loving this!  I was varying degrees of disappointed with both Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars continuations. This has been a breath of fresh air, comparatively speaking. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size