Type keyword(s) to search

The Doctors: Medical Ethics On Parade

Will the same doctors be on throughout the show? Do they specialize in fixing botched jobs?

I was surprised not to see that doctor who had his own show at one time, Dr Rey. 

Tara, just wanted to point out that Dr. Terry Dubrow is ALSO married to a Real Housewife (of Orange County): Heather Dubrow. So they're really not reaching too far to "staff" this show with doctors, apparently.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also, Paul Nassif was married to Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Adrienne Maloof.

And Terry was on Bridalplasty…  Too bad there's no medical cure for famewhore disease.

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 5

I actually liked it!! I also think it is great to have this follow the Kardashians.  Teens and younger watching that show probably think that plastic surgery will fix all their problems, and its effortless and glamorous.  This show, tho still glossy and Hollywoody, depicts what CAN happen.

• Love 1

So sometimes a tweet comes through that I just find irresistible and I have to respond.

Last night Simon from RHONYC tweeted about to all and sundry about Terry's warmth and caring about his patients and how it really came through on the show.

With a snort I responded, "His patient reviews on Yelp and other sites would disagree with that assertion."

About an hour later I received a private tweet from Simon (not to the entire group included in his initial tweet) that said "Interesting..."

I like to envision Simon immediately going to Yelp and he and Alex having their own little private snarkfest about Dr. DuBrow.  

• Love 3

Well of course the docs are gonna be on their best professional behavior while being filmed. When the cameras are gone who knows how well they actually treat the patients. I wouldn't be surprised if these docs don't even regularly do their own follow ups, and get PA's to do it, unless something serious comes along. I would trust Yelp way more than a 'reality' show.

• Love 3

Remember when bodily cosmetic surgery (lipo, tucks) were done only on people who were quite fit, but had a couple problem areas?

Not that I wouldn't get my flabby ass (and gut, thighs, arms, neck and toes) tucked and sucked if I had the money, but there's a reason why there are more complications (and deaths) now than ever before (beyond more than just more doctors doing the surgeries).

• Love 2
(edited)

I like this show and I like how they don't take every patient.  {running over to Yelp now}

ETA:  Dr. Dubrow does have many complaints but Dr. Nassif has all raves excepting for those that could not get an appointment or missed their appointment and were charged.

Edited by jumper sage

Not really an ethics question, but not restricted to a single episode, either... what's the result of taking material from the ears to build the nose?  They show these giant pieces of ear cartilage, but presumably something is done to make the ear look reasonably intact after he removes the piece .  But they act like that's not disfiguring to the ear.

Yes, I realize noses are more prominent than ears.  I just wonder what the ramifications are for the ears.

Funny how seriously dr. Nasir takes himself. Notice the way they introduce themselves to patients, I much prefer a doctor who introduces himself by giving his full name, not just Dr so and so. And this comes from a nurse who has been around a lot of surgeons.

Edited by MizStaken
  • Love 1

That blonde nurse that often takes the patients back for the consultations looks like she's seen the business end of a scalpel and syringe a few too many times. Her face is a little scary--puffy lips, pinchy face and perma-surprise expression. Why would the doctors want their patients seeing that first thing and possibly thinking it's their handiwork (it probably is)?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I work in medicine and I don't know any doctors who introduce themselves (to patients) as Dr. FirstName Lastname.  They might Firstname Lastname without the "Dr." (to colleagues, staff).  

There have been at least a couple of ear harvests -- last night he also talked about it being the first option with the cleft palate lady (second option being needing to go in and take some rib), but they didn't follow up by showing the bloody bit he usually shows.

Edited by kassa

What lawsuit?  

I have to say I'm not surprised.  There've been a couple of crazies that look like Lawsuit City to me.  I had no opinions of Nassif and not good opinions of Dubrow but they come over well in this show.

And Terry was on Bridalplasty…  Too bad there's no medical cure for famewhore disease.

Ah, that makes total sense now.  I've been binge watching this and was taken aback by how they're trying to be oh-so-cool, and it comes off as unprofessional to me.  Now I get it, they want to be the next Dr. Oz.  I won't take away that they appear to be excellent surgeons, however if I'm going for plastic surgery, I'd probably like my doctor to focus on me, and not try to make it all about him. I can't understand why I keep watching, when I dislike the egocentric doctors, the patients are a bunch of entitled whiners with first world problems, and I don't give a rat's ass if they look better.  Maybe I like to see just how fucked up a surgery can go, and how it gets fixed.

With regards to the Justin Bieber wannabe, the Ken Doll wannabe, and all that ilk, I've seen them on many other reality TV shows.  They're just making the rounds.

• Love 2

This post from "S01.E03: Vagina Bomb!" deserves further discussion. (You can read the unedited post by clicking that arrow next to the date/time stamp.)

On May 27, 2016 at 1:34 PM, jennhatesyou2 said:

I'm the rat-faced nose girl you guys have been chatting about. Few things I'd like to clear up:

1. My father died the day I got the phone call to be on Botched, literally as I was walking home from the hospital. We started filming 2 weeks later. He died after having surgery to fix his hip. The surgery worsened his dementia and he died as a result. Sorry I couldn't be more lively or put together for your sensibilities, but my life was a mess at the time. I am not ashamed for crying, I had every fucking right. I was scared shitless of going into surgery after what happened with my dad. But of course they didn't talk about THAT. Dead parents doesn't make for good "plastic surgery TV".

2. 90% of that show was forced. The scene at the end? I had no control over my wardrobe (they bought it for me), my hair, my makeup, the place, or what they asked me to "give" to camera. They wanted a 180 from who I was "before". So I gave them the best fake "amazing" life I could. I am not an actress and I don't want to be one.  "Reconnecting" with my friends was a giant joke a producer brought up the day before my surgery. She didn't think my story was dramatic enough and asked me if I had a friend that would be willing to play the part of the "long lost friend." Joi, the girl at the finale with me, and I have been friends for 8 years and we have never fought once. We talk weekly and always have. But again, my life was not dramatic enough for TV so we played it off.

3. The only reason I did this show was because of Dr. Nassif. I had been interested in getting my nose fixed by him for at least 6 years prior to the show. However, I didn't have $30,000 to pay to do so. When the opportunity came to me, I jumped at it, regardless of how stupid I was going to be made to look on tv. And ya'll are lying if you say you wouldn't do the exact same thing.

6. The finale was filmed 2 months after surgery. My nose was still swollen. Almost 3 years later and my nose is perfect. Can't even tell anything was ever done to it. I can breathe and I'm happy.

• Love 2

Never hurts to be reminded that these are real people.  I didn't comment in that specific thread, but one of my previouslytv posts on another show was read aloud on tv TO the person I was ragging on.  I felt pretty rotten about it (and should have), because I wouldn't have said that to his face.  

• Love 2

Meh, if you go on TV and you're sensitive to what other people think, you ought to rethink your decision or maybe not read comments on boards where people are encouraged to give their thoughts on what they've seen on TV.  Perfectly fine to explain one's side, but I'm still gonna snark.  That's half the fun of these boards.

• Love 7

I was interested in what @jennhatesyou2 had to say about TPTB. They wrote a storyline, provided her final reveal wardrobe, made a third party misrepresent their relationship…

Before reading that, the only chicanery I'd noticed is that one of the three people featured each episode is always denied surgery. And on the spinoff, Botched by Nature (which has its own forum), one patient has always had a physical reaction to previous plastic surgery.

It's not that I'm unsympathetic to her father dying, because I can't imagine losing my dad and then having to be on TV right after. I think everyone knows by now (almost 25 years after The Real World aired) that "reality" TV isn't real. To act like she didn't know it would be manipulated or "produced" is naive at best.

Furthermore, everyone knows that if you choose to be in the public eye, you are going to be ripped to shreds in the media on on the internet. Is that OK? Well, no. But this is humanity, and we are disgusting. She chose to go on the show, bottom line.

• Love 2

Sorry, but trying to manipulate randos on a board dedicated to snarking on TV shows and their denizens just doesn't cut my cheese.    These people are getting freebies. Since nothing is really free, they pay by being scrutinized and criticized.    sorry but not really sorry.

• Love 4