Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Chapter 25

Bort

4 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Damn, I missed Oliver and Melanie. Didn't know how much 'til this episode. And then we get Cary/Kerry for a nice coda.

"A rap battle." This fucking show.

I thought Farouk had switched it so that Cary had to go inside Kerry now.

It certainly seems that giving her a subjective second childhood with less trauma and more loving guidance centered her and gave her renewed focus toward the goal of saving people. I guess if it worked for Connor on Angel...

I thoroughly enjoyed the detour this episode, and feel cheated that we haven't been getting to watch Jean Smart and Jemaine Clement up until now this year.  They're both just SO good. I mourn that whole episode spent on David's parents competing with each other for the title of Most Emotionally Distant.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Suddenly a wild Jason Mantzoukas appears!

I missed Oliver and Melanie so much I am so happy we got to spend an episode with them in the metaphorical space between spaces or whatever. I guess they gave Syd a second happier childhood so that she can learn about empathy? Can learn that being drowned in misery and nihilism disguised as "realism" is unhealthy? I guess that ties in with the big Whats So Funny Bout Peace Love and Understanding sing along last week!

This is certainly the longest we have gone to get to the opening Legion intro! Nice having a little Kerry/Carrie coda as well, and the return of the creepy time cats. 

I am going to miss this show so much. Even at its most incomprehensible and up its own metaphysical ass, there is nothing else like it on television, and its certainly never bored me. 

• Love 8

I liked the idea of this episode giving Syd another childhood, but I didn't like the execution of it. I found it boring, at least until we got near the end with the rap battle and her waking up. Did love seeing Oliver and Melanie again. Usually with Legion episodes I save it and watch it again before the new episode airs, but I deleted this one off right away after watching it.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Damn, I missed Oliver and Melanie. Didn't know how much 'til this episode. And then we get Cary/Kerry for a nice coda.

"A rap battle." This fucking show.

Same. I love Jemaine Clement. That rap battle really made me miss Flight if the Concords. 

3 hours ago, gail56 said:

I liked the idea of this episode giving Syd another childhood, but I didn't like the execution of it. I found it boring, at least until we got near the end with the rap battle and her waking up. Did love seeing Oliver and Melanie again. Usually with Legion episodes I save it and watch it again before the new episode airs, but I deleted this one off right away after watching it.

I agree with this, too. I felt the “childhood” went on too long but the payoff was good. 

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This is certainly the longest we have gone to get to the opening Legion intro! 

I don’t know for sure but I seem to remember an episode in (I think) season 1 that played the intro right at the end too  

• Love 1

(Sorry for posting twice in a row. I couldn't edit properly to add a quote and comment after it.)

9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

It certainly seems that giving her a subjective second childhood with less trauma and more loving guidance centered her and gave her renewed focus toward the goal of saving people.

I hope you're right. The "We're gonna win" at the end and future Syd's role in trusting Farouk against David doesn't quite fit that. I'd think the point of Us and Them, as noted by the wonderful Melanie, is not to destroy David (joining in with having greatly missed Melanie and Oliver -- loved when he showed up again in his leisure suit, martini in hand). --Although her other comment - some people don't want to be saved - worries me. 

It's never simple with this show, that's for sure. I don't need hearts and flowers for an ending, but neither do I want annihilation - except maybe of Farouk. 

• Love 6

I don't have anything more to say about the content of the episode but there was one thing that bothered me: Sydney's hair. It was dark when she was a child and then got blonder as she aged. In my experience, it doesn't happen that way. I was blond as a child and my hair got darker as I aged. By the time I was 30, I had to start coloring it and still do to this day.

• Love 1

Nice to see Oliver and Melanie.  I'd almost like to live there in that Unreal World (the first one, the vineyard).  If it wasn't for that pesky wolf.  I don't think I have the rap battle skills to fight it off.

Interesting take on the Three Little Pigs story.

We were talking about the surreal nature of the show last episode.  Let's face it, this show is so stocked with bizarre characters with bizarre mutant powers, it almost has to be surreal.

21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am going to miss this show so much. Even at its most incomprehensible and up its own metaphysical ass, there is nothing else like it on television, and its certainly never bored me. 

I've been bored with it on occasion, but never to the extent of not watching.  When I first heard about this show, I didn't think I would last with it more than a season, but it's held my interest.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2019 at 5:51 AM, AngelKitty said:

I don't have anything more to say about the content of the episode but there was one thing that bothered me: Sydney's hair. It was dark when she was a child and then got blonder as she aged. In my experience, it doesn't happen that way. I was blond as a child and my hair got darker as I aged. By the time I was 30, I had to start coloring it and still do to this day.

Teenage Syd made a hair dye joke to adult Syd in the time eaters episode.

I'm with the folks that thought this episode was mostly filler. I love Jason Mantzoukas, but he has a very unique energy that I feel doesn't jive with this show.

It's a shame that it's a wasted episode in the last season of this show, but instead of dwelling on it, I'm going to try to enjoy what's left.

While this show isn't true to the Legion comics storywise, I feel it's true to the spirit of the comics. I can't imagine a happy ending for David, but I hope it wraps up the story in a satisfying way.

• Love 2

I have the exact opposite view of Jason Mantzoukas: normally I loathe him, but must admit that he works playing inhuman characters on surreal shows like this and The Good Place where freakish behavior can fit right into the story rather than taking me out of it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

While this show isn't true to the Legion comics storywise, I feel it's true to the spirit of the comics. 

I've never read the Legion comics.  I do recall the David character from a few X-Men books or whatever it was.  Nothing in depth though.

I think TV and movies have pretty much given up on the idea of faithfully adapting the comic book material.  A lot of it is too interdependent on other characters and other books, and directors seem to hate the idea of costumes and secret identities.  Being true to the spirit of the comics and characters is about the best we can hope for, I think.  Watchmen probably stayed the closest to the comics of any movie I can think of, and even that wasn't completely identical (it was close!).

• Love 1

All I thought about was Rafi from The League and him doing something gross.

The actor is smart, heard him on podcasts being knowledgeable about cool stuff.

As for the Oliver character being away a long time, Jermaine’s energy was better spent on the vampire show.

If this interlude was suppose to show that Syd has been right to try to stop David, to kill him, what does that tell us about David?

The rap battle, the music video from last season, and all the different stylistic or genres which this series has gone through in 3 short seasons, all seem to point to Hawley indulging in a smorgasbord of filmmaking styles for his personal edification more than serving the interests of telling the story, whatever that story is.

Not clear where Hawley is going with all this.  May not be clear even after the series completes.

• Love 1

Oliver and...Jason Mantzoukas and...Melanie!!!!

Considering the way those beds are arranged, I'm guessing Oliver and Melanie aren't getting up to much

Is that the same young Syd as before? It looks like her

"We're not put on this earth to think of only ourselves" - I'm guessing this is the lesson Syd will gain from this? To learn empathy?

Of course a rap battle is the only way it can end - I sort of hope that's how the entire series will end.

"You call yourself a wolf? You're a shitty little bastard" - greatest. line. ever.

"It's not us or them, it's us and them" - what does that mean?

I'm confused about them going into the time tunnel to 'fix it'. What are they fixing? I thought David and Switch were going to change all this carnage or whatever (maybe I'm wrong) so are Syd and co going to stop that and why?

They had to spend an entire episode teaching Syd how to care about other people and not always put herself first and yet it's David who is the villain?!

This episode was alright and I realise I missed Oliver and Melanie more than I thought. But when there's only two episodes left, did we need this?

Edited by superloislane