Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Kash with a K

• Start Topic

Coming off a devastating heartbreak, Maya travels to London for her best friend Ainsley’s wedding. While in town, Maya reconnects with her old college friends, Craig and Duffy, and finds herself thrust into their personal crises.

Dropping on Hulu on Wednesday, July 31, 2019.

OK - I had a lot of issues with this first episode-- mainly because it seemed cliché and a far departure from the movie.  But I was unable to sleep and watched on -- the series did get better.  I have to say I think that the actors in the show are pulling it off and made me care about them.

Just thought I'd throw in a "give it a chance" because I definitely was ready to call it quits early on.

• Love 6
On 8/1/2019 at 1:23 AM, tennisgurl said:

So I guess this is " crappy later seasons" Mindy Project and not "creative peak in the middle" Mindy Project...

I’m enjoying this show much more than any later season episodes of TMP.

This episode was worth it just for the awesome costumes at Ainsley's birthday party!

I also loved seeing so many familiar faces pop up.

I laughed and cringed when Maya said that "Where are you from?" means "You look kind of black - explain." A similar thing just happened on another show I watch (Sweetbitter). One of the waitresses at a high end restaurant said that customers gave her some variation of that all the time but she just had to grin and bear it. As someone who has been on the receiving end of those kinds of questions for most of my life, I can relate because it's so rude, presumptuous, and annoying to be asked about that by total strangers. I appreciate seeing small moments like that being shown in mainstream media.

I liked this episode - it was just the kind of romantic comedy homage I expect from Mindy Kaling. All of the references to different rom com movies made me smile. Lloyd Dobler! Love Actually! So many cute little moments.

• Love 3

The teacher guy is giving me serious Ted Mosby vibes (I think it's mostly the hair plus the glasses combined with the fact that he sat in the courtyard for three hours) so I hope he doesn't turn out to be too Teddy Westside.

I knew Tom Mison was in the cast but I didn't even recognize him until halfway through the party!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I’m really enjoying this one. It’s such a funny, fun show, but with some life truths too. 

It’s great to see Nathalie Emmanuel outside of GOT. She’s a good actress who does well with comedy. 

And Tom Mison looks unrecognizable in this. The clean shaven look does not suit him. He looks a thousand times better with facial hair. 

• Love 4

So I watched this first episode, was both bored and annoyed, and I quite. But then I decided to give it another try, and I admit its growing on me. The self contentious romantic comedy bits and some of the dialogue are rather hit or miss, but the actors are quite charming and they made it work.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:04 AM, tennisgurl said:

So I watched this first episode, was both bored and annoyed, and I quite. But then I decided to give it another try, and I admit its growing on me. The self contentious romantic comedy bits and some of the dialogue are rather hit or miss, but the actors are quite charming and they made it work.

I thought the first ep felt like a pilot episode.  And as with most pilot episodes it is trying hard to make an impression.  It felt very self aware that it was a Rom-Com.  So it gave us all these personalities right out the gate and threw the rom-com tropes in our faces.  Which I think would have been understandable and even a little forgivable in a series called something other than 'Four Weddings a Funeral.'

But it gets stronger as it goes on and settles into itself.  And the stories begin to take on a more organic feel and the characters feel more lived in. 

• Love 1

I am staying at a friend’s house who has Hulu so thought I would give it a chance and I don’t know if I can get passed two non employees just wandering around unaccompanied around the employee only areas of an airport with some of the tightest security in the world. 

• Love 2

A friend loves this show, I'm a Mindy Kaling fan, so despite all the horrendous reviews I thought I'd finally give it a shot.  I couldn't even make it through the first 15 minutes of the pilot.  It was just so bad.  I get that shows take time to gel, but the writing was bad, the acting was bad (so bad).  I don't know how this ever made it past Mindy's review. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, chaifan said:

A friend loves this show, I'm a Mindy Kaling fan, so despite all the horrendous reviews I thought I'd finally give it a shot.  I couldn't even make it through the first 15 minutes of the pilot.  It was just so bad.  I get that shows take time to gel, but the writing was bad, the acting was bad (so bad).  I don't know how this ever made it past Mindy's review. 

It clicked for me after the third episode; by the last episode, I absolutely loved it.

This is a show that I started to watch after something else last night, just because it was late, and wouldn't require too much attention. I didn't mind it, but I'm glad to hear that it gets better.