Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Chapter 21

Bort

Any ambiguity about David is pretty much gone. Syd's got a legit beef, but I wonder how much of her agenda is hers alone.

Pretty sure that was Vince Guaraldi's version of "O' Tannenbaum" Farouk was playing.

• Love 1

Question:   Did Oliver and Melanie's characters get killed last season?  I only half watched the last few eps of S2 and notice that neither one has been seen so far.  Thanks.

Yeah, David not seeing any problem in manipulating people's minds - especially after being manipulated himself - is definitely a problem. Even if he does want to fix/save the world. He honestly doesn't see anything wrong in his methods. He's so damaged and has had no guidance; he's still a kid just wanting people to love him.

Wondering now if the apocalypse he causes is inadvertent somehow. Like, in his efforts to fix, he ends up hurting. Or if with everyone fighting him -- we've seen how easily he gets angry when being contradicted, so maybe he loses control. It's not that he wants to destroy, it's that no one understands him or what he's trying to do, and he goes totally off the rails. Which, again, Division 3 creates what they fear.  --Just speculation. I'll be sad, I think, no matter what, because on some level, David is - or at least was - innocent.

It was fun seeing Bill Irwin's physical dexterity - but no way that girl doesn't feel someone so close behind her. 

Thanks for that link, @AnimeMania  - I had forgotten that Oliver and Melanie were on the astral plane together. Hope that somehow we'll still get to see them later.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, justmehere said:

It was fun seeing Bill Irwin's physical dexterity - but no way that girl doesn't feel someone so close behind her.

To be fair to the girl, she was probably high as fuck.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, justmehere said:

Wondering now if the apocalypse he causes is inadvertent somehow. Like, in his efforts to fix, he ends up hurting. Or if with everyone fighting him -- we've seen how easily he gets angry when being contradicted, so maybe he loses control. It's not that he wants to destroy, it's that no one understands him or what he's trying to do, and he goes totally off the rails. Which, again, Division 3 creates what they fear.  --Just speculation. I'll be sad, I think, no matter what, because on some level, David is - or at least was - innocent.

Has there ever been any TV show/movie/comic where those who are warned by someone from the future or by a glimpse of the future with regard to a devastating future event don't actually contribute to said event in an ill-advised effort to prevent it?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouCantFightFate

If you have nothing else to do today:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TimeTravel

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

So far as Syd and the rest of the folks at Division 3 know, the only evidence of David causing some catastrophe in the future is Farouk's secondhand account, right? They haven't been given that info by the drone or direct contact with Future!Syd.

• Love 2

I have a feeling that trying to augment the time travel field is what ends the world.

Any theories as to why Switch speaks Japanese and French in addition to Mandarin?

• Love 1

So I guess David is so messed up after everything that has happened and is still so desperate to be loved, that he has become alright with messing with peoples minds and playing god with his powers, so thats not good. I still think that Division three is going too far, but he does seem to be getting into some questionable stuff, and some of his lackeys are looking rather Manson lately. 

Carey is gonna be pissed when she finds out that David did something to Kerry. Speaking of, the little bot with them looking at each other in the mirror was cool, but I always love stuff with Carey and Kerry. 

The Alice in Wonderland imadgry was basically inevitable at this point. This whole show is like an English major did a bunch of acid after watching the first X-Men movie and then Austin Powers and this is what they saw.

"Ostensibly on Legion" is the most truthful thing this show has ever said. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Thing is, I can't recall how S2 ended.  When he mentioned the trial, I vaguely recall it.

But not that motivated to go back and watch it again.

Each episode is packed with arresting imagery.  But after 20 some odd episodes, maybe I recall a handful of them.  Sad, because I bet Hawley meticulously plans and executes them, then does a lot of post-production to get all the colors exactly so, every pixel the way he wants it.

If this was the only show people watched, they watch it over and over again, pore over every frame and track every word of dialog.

But nobody is going to do that.  Maybe some grad student will do a thesis on it.

There is definitely more of an attempt at exposition and drawing out themes or some kind of morality.  Can David wield all his power without being corrupted by it?

When you see his secretions being fed to that grotesque hog and in turn being fed to all the drug fiends in the commune, there doesn't seem to be much hope for him turning out to be a good guy, if misunderstood.

The imagery of Farouk OTOH no longer is grotesque.  He's just this cool dandy -- though can you really trust him behind those shades?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, scrb said:

The imagery of Farouk OTOH no longer is grotesque.  He's just this cool dandy -- though can you really trust him behind those shades?

That's probably because he had his real body back. Before, he was borrowing bodies or projecting mental images of himself. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

Syd is such a hypocrite. She sexually assaulted her own mother and her mother's boyfriend. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I can't stand her. "Me First" indeed.

Lenny is still sporting Amy's eyes, I believe.

Why is Switch helping David? What's in it for her? Why is she drawn to him? I wonder how many times she'd "met" him before we were shown?

• Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, justmehere said:

Reminded me of his character in Popeye 😂

• Love 1

Judging by the way time travel is portrayed, I'd say what David is attempting is actually impossible. It looks like Switch isn't physically going anywhere, more like she's rewinding her own timeline, and landing at a previous point in her own body. By that logic, David shouldn't be able to go anywhere unless he opens his own doorway. If he were to somehow enter Switch's timeline, if he exited it, he'd wind up in her body.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, mascan42 said:

Judging by the way time travel is portrayed, I'd say what David is attempting is actually impossible. It looks like Switch isn't physically going anywhere, more like she's rewinding her own timeline, and landing at a previous point in her own body. By that logic, David shouldn't be able to go anywhere unless he opens his own doorway. If he were to somehow enter Switch's timeline, if he exited it, he'd wind up in her body.

Very interesting take considering we have a character whose power enables her to body swap.

• Love 2

And David has projected his mind through time before already, albeit into the future he'd previously been kidnapped to rather than the past. Rather than trying to supercharge Shift's power he should be trying to figure out HOW it works and see if his vast and nebulous powers over almost everything can be fine-tuned to work in the same way.

(edited)

David's crazy is really coming out 

I wanted to see David and Lenny's crazy goings on after he specifically took her with him last season but I guess not

And...I still hate Sydney. Why is she saying that David destroys the world even though all she has to go on is Farouk telling her that Future Syd said this?

When did David drug Syd? Didn't he just remove her brainwashing???

"I'm asking about the temperature of your nuts!" - Oh Lenny

Are they just never going to explain why they're all trusting Farouk?

I loved everything about Cary at the commune and I'm interested in his plot. He already has more to do this season than he did last season

Cary called them trapping David last season an 'intervention' - but they trapped him in a cage and as David pointed out, they did they try to gas him after having done not much at all to warrant such a response! It's interesting that Cary called it that

Are Melanie and Oliver just gone completely now?

I still want David to kill every single one of his 'friends'

There were weird parts of this episode thrown in just to be weird. Whenever this show does that, it loses me so I hope it stays on track

Edited by superloislane
On 7/1/2019 at 10:57 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Pretty sure that was Vince Guaraldi's version of "O' Tannenbaum" Farouk was playing

Yep. I thought it was a nice bookend to the opening song in this episode.

I have nothing else to add other than the music in this show continues to be an additional character of sorts and contributes to the overall narrative of the show in a really smart way.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:39 PM, tennisgurl said:

"Ostensibly on Legion" is the most truthful thing this show has ever said. 

"Ostensibly on Legion" was when I fell in love all over again. 

On 7/2/2019 at 12:57 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Syd's got a legit beef, but I wonder how much of her agenda is hers alone.

Oh yeah, David raped her. And his quest to undo what he did and "be loved" is extremely juvenile. But that's part of the problem. David is a child given power and never allowed to grow up. And what do children need more than anything? A place to feel safe and loved. David never had that so he's trying to force the world, the universe into being one. But that's just another way of saying that he's manipulating and coercing people to serve his needs.

The problem is he had that (or thought he had that) - in Syd, in the team, in the mission - and they threw him away. They abandoned him like parents kicking their own child into the street. And so they are in many ways responsible for everything that's happened.

So, Syd's both 100% right on a personal level. And yet completely wrong too. 

To be clear, this analysis does not imply that Syd owes David anything especially after what he did to her. She doesn't. But his friends do - mostly for pretending to be his friends in the first place

• Love 3