Type keyword(s) to search

Clip Recommendation: So Many Clips to Choose From!

(edited)

So I'll start on the topic of Jon's cringiest interviews. I wouldn't say they're necessarily the most interesting or heated interviews, just so bad that you just start facepalming part way through and feel embarrassment for either Jon or the interviewee.

Spice Girls 2000

Jennifer Love Hewitt 2004

Chris Matthews 2007

Betsy McCaughey 2009

part 1 part 2 extended 1 extended 2

Jim Cramer 2009

part 1 part 2 part 3

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

Wow, that Matthews interview was like a trip down the rabbit hole. Jon must have really hated what he read! It was hilarious to see him being cordial yet rude at the same time. "I'm not trashing your book; I'm trashing your philosophy of life!" "I don't troll." "...Friends?" What was that gesture at the beginning, with Matthews sticking his head over Jon's? And it was so bizarre that he walks in with his arms crossed. He seemed so full of nervous energy. Everything that could go wrong went wrong, and it was the most magical thing!

Are there any interviews where it does get genuinely heated and not in a cordial way? Or do you have any favorite serious interviews, where you think Jon handled a difficult interviewee or topic particularly well?

This is one of the few older interviews that I've seen so far, and it's one of my favorites, despite the interviewee:

Mike Huckabee 2008, part 1 and especially part 2 (on marriage equality)

(edited)

Are there any interviews where it does get genuinely heated and not in a cordial way?

The Jim Cramer interview I linked for sure. He had it coming too. CNBC was being trashed and Cramer's show was sort of mentioned in the trashing.  It really was about some other guy that Jon hated on the network and IIRC Cramer was maybe mentioned in passing. Cramer then took a few shots on TDS on his show in the following days and TDS responded with more segments about the shitty CNBC programs.  Cramer took umbridge with it and called the show saying that he wanted to come on and defend himself. He got booked on a bunch of NBC news/MSNBC/CNBC shows (and the Martha Stewart show for some reason) leading up to the interview (and after the interview) talking about how he was going to go on TDS to prove Jon wrong. And Jon just destroyed him. Unlike all of Jon's other interviews, this guy basically called and begged to be on to defend himself so Jon had a no holds bar since Jon would have no reason to ever have him back and just did the most brutal takedown ever. Cramer of course in the interviews after the show was pissed because that was not what he had expected. Jon's brother somehow got dragged into it by some newspapers.

Edited by maculae

The Jim Cramer interview I linked for sure. He had it coming too. CNBC was being trashed and Cramer's show was sort of mentioned in the trashing.  It really was about some other guy that Jon hated on the network and IIRC Cramer was maybe mentioned in passing. Cramer then took a few shots on TDS on his show in the following days and TDS responded with more segments about the shitty CNBC programs.  Cramer took umbridge with it and called the show saying that he wanted to come on and defend himself. He got booked on a bunch of NBC news/MSNBC/CNBC shows (and the Martha Stewart show for some reason) leading up to the interview (and after the interview) talking about how he was going to go on TDS to prove Jon wrong. And Jon just destroyed him. Unlike all of Jon's other interviews, this guy basically called and begged to be on to defend himself so Jon had a no holds bar since Jon would have no reason to ever have him back and just did the most brutal takedown ever. Cramer of course in the interviews after the show was pissed because that was not what he had expected. Jon's brother somehow got dragged into it by some newspapers.

The other guy Jon supposedly hated was Rick Santelli, who made that fucking ridiculous rant on the floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange where he basically blamed poor people for the economy tanking, which led to the rise of the Tea Party movement. Jon was scheduled to have Santelli on his show, but he cancelled at the last minute due to coming down with a case of cowardly yellow fever, where symptoms include explosive chickenshit coming out of an uncontrolled sphincter. That's what led to Cramer appearing on TDS.

(edited)

Wow, that Betsy McCaughey interview was something else. She acted as though she was teaching a seminar, preaching at the studio audience and waving her finger. I loved it when he turned around to face the audience. "Who are we talking to??" And now I can count on one finger the number of times I've seen an interviewer ask for and then take the time to read the specific page of a document that the interviewee brought as "proof" of her argument. On another note: it's a small thing inside a larger moment, but I was struck by her smirk when he responded to her statement that he's rich by saying that he doesn't therefore mind being taxed more because it's a way to give back. I saw the same sort of reaction online after his segment this year on food stamps, with people saying that he's extremely rich and is therefore a hypocrite for criticizing other rich people (including corporate "people") who want tax breaks. Is it so impossible for some people to understand that not everyone is self-interested to the point that they see becoming rich as a stage in some cosmic life cycle that now exonerates them from caring about those outside of their own tax bracket? I mean, the disconnect there is so extreme that they see the notion as laughable.

maculae, mariah, and Victor the Crab, thank you for that background on the Jim Cramer interview! I had seen it a few months ago (some article on TDS had linked to it), but I didn't know the context behind it. After all of that, it shocks me that Cramer volunteered to be on the show. Had Jon ever done an interview like that before, or did Cramer maybe expect the standard, very polite Jon? I thought the Matthews interview was tense and awkward, but Jon was still jovial. He was dead serious in that Cramer interview. It was awesome, and I mean that in the less colloquial sense of truly inspiring awe. I couldn't look away from what was happening. (I'm betting that Santelli never showed up for a follow-up interview!)

EDIT: I couldn't resist, so I looked up "Santelli" on the website, and I think I found the segments on CNBC that sparked the interview?

CNBC Financial Advice (3/4/2009)

In Cramer We Trust (3/9/2009)

Basic Cable Personality Clash Skirmish '09 (3/10/2009)

Whew. The first and last ones were particularly scathing. I can see why they set off Cramer and had Morning Joe hosting his pity party.

Edited by Fremde Frau
(edited)

The thing you need to know about Betsy Ross is that after tanking healthcare reform under Clinton with an article Andrew Sullivan printed in The New Republic which was so dishonest that they actually apologized for it, she was briefly Lt Gov of our state.

She squabbled with the state Republicans and went on to run for Governor on the Democratic and Liberal lines on a platform of universal healthcare and unrestricted abortions (I swear I'm not making that up). It wasn't until Obama started making noises about healthcare reform that she returned to opposing it, although since the rich husband who funded her gubernatorial run had long since made a run for it I suppose she needed the money.

I was genuinely surprised he managed to be as polite to her as he did.

Edited by Julia

You know, I estimate that I've watched 99.9% of TDS episodes since Jon took over -- I was an early adopter -- but I couldn't bring myself to watch Betsy McCaughey. That's one of the few I simply couldn't stomach. Jim Cramer was great, though, and spawned the "Daily Show" meme, "Roll 212!"

I just remembered another one of my favorite clips, though -- Barney's White House Christmas, featuring the late Barney and the late Tony Snow (one of Bush's press secretaries). I've watched this several times throughout the years. Stuff like this kept me sane during the Bush era.

Victor the Crab, I have a Canadian question for you. Is there a site where we can watch the old TDS clips without being geo-blocked? I saw most of the clips that people are talking about live and I'd love to go back and rewatch, especially the old clips of Stephen and Steve, but pretty much any links posted aren't available in Canada. :(

Victor the Crab, I have a Canadian question for you. Is there a site where we can watch the old TDS clips without being geo-blocked? I saw most of the clips that people are talking about live and I'd love to go back and rewatch, especially the old clips of Stephen and Steve, but pretty much any links posted aren't available in Canada. :(

I wish there was, shok. Comedy Network used to keep their old clips from back in 2007, when they first launched their updated website. But they don't do that anymore, unless it's for specific topics like when Jon talks about Canada.

(edited)

Julia, thank you for that background. I was growing up in Japan during the Clinton years, so I missed all of that. She almost reminds me of Palin, only with more focus and fewer skills (such as they are).

trow, I had completely forgotten about Bush's dog. I feel weird saying anything related to Bush is cute, but that video really was cute! I can just imagine that Barney's existential angst must have been terrible: to be a true dog and remain loyal to his humans no matter what, or to turn his back on dogkind and Bush alike. Poor boy.

(I didn't realize people in Canada couldn't see the videos! Why would Comedy Central or Viacom block other countries from viewing their clips? Wouldn't more viewers automatically be better for them?)

EDIT: I looked up "toss" on the website, and I found some more of them! I thought I would bring it over here from that other thread. Oh my god, this is my new favorite thing! Will the magic ever cease?

Jon is a Downer (10/15/2009)

Reverse Toss (6/3/2009)
On the Same Wavelength (2/24/2009)
Stephen's Busy (11/17/2008)
Who's the Toss? (10/15/2008) - Oh, I wish they'd do this for real. A DVD of tosses would make the best birthday gift ever.

Emmy Fight (9/24/2008)

I have to go, so I didn't watch them all, but there were a few more listed!

Edited by Fremde Frau

I can't believe no one has recommended this one yet, but it just occurred to me watching last night's Cheney segment. The show after Cheney shot his friend in the face was just AMAZING. Here's the first segment. It aired on Feb. 13, 2006. If I'm not mistaken, the hilarity continued for several days afterward.

• Love 1

Who's the Toss? (10/15/2008) - Oh, I wish they'd do this for real. A DVD of tosses would make the best birthday gift ever.

It better be on Colbert's bucket list! Make it happen!

I can't believe no one has recommended this one yet, but it just occurred to me watching last night's Cheney segment. The show after Cheney shot his friend in the face was just AMAZING. Here's the first segment. It aired on Feb. 13, 2006. If I'm not mistaken, the hilarity continued for several days afterward.

Don't forget about Cheney's appearance at Obama's first inauguration, where it inspired TDS to use the Star Wars Imperial March theme. http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/r5jrvz/changefest--09---obama-s-inauguration

• Love 1

My favorite part of Ed Helms' report about "a 78 year old man shot in the face by VP Cheney", aside from the repetition, may be one of the headlines: Man's Face Intercepts Vice President's Bullet."

• Love 1

I may have to give you my firstborn for directing me to that Cheney episode, trow. Oh my god, it just kept getting better and better. By the time Rob Corddry was delivering his "analysis," I couldn't even breathe.

After watching the summer specials, I wanted to see more of the bit they did with "America 2" (the screen capture for this video) and managed to track down this gem: America 2: Now With More Freedom, Part 2 Glenn Beck's Utopia, Part 3 A Glenn Beck Holiday. It was beautiful. What a perfect deconstruction of Beck's fantasy world. (I'd forgotten all about that guy. The tag for his name has a bunch of videos listed, so I think I just found my comedy candy for this week!) I think my favorite line of the whole segment was the almost throwaway line of calling that Tea Party utopia a "freedom panic room."

Have you seen the episode where Jon spent 15 minutes channeling Glenn Beck? I think it aired right before Beck left Fox News.

OH MY GOD. What did I just watch?? Everything was dialed up to eleven. Jon in glasses! Jon beeping! The chalkboards! Strawman slippery-slope dumb guy! BERT!

That was... I hardly know what that was. Bizarre and magical and amazing! I've fallen in love all over again! Not that I'd fallen out of love, but wow. I had no idea he could perform a character like that, so on the mark. I wonder if Beck saw it at the time; if he had any sense of shame or self-awareness, it'd be no wonder that he left television after Jon exposed him and his "methods" as a complete joke.

Man, I wish Jon would do some performance like that again, away from the desk and in some character. I love him at the desk, but I thought he was just a desk guy, unlike the correspondents and Stephen. Now I know he can do more! Once is not enough, damn it!

With TDS's hiatus nearing its end (thank God) I've been craving for impressions, conventions, and early correspondent pieces for too long.

I still got 4th of July fever (a week later, :P), so I got nostalgia after watching this, right at the very end; after that, I never looked at fireworks the same again.

I kinda miss Jonny-bun's Lindsey Graham impression, too.

And with my undying admiration for every correspondent that had/has worked w/Jon (especially my Ollie-Scone (Oliver) and Snowshake (Klepper)), I'm hoping TDS can go full frontal for this year's Midterms like they did during Indecision 2008. Perhaps they can go more for a sophisticated farce style similar to those sentiments from what are perhaps my favorite Promos of all time brought to us by Comedy Central, IMO.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just watched this bit on the ATF, from last January: part 1, part 2. Halfway through, I couldn't even laugh anymore, despite Jon's animation and poor Gunther. It's always too depressing and infuriating to watch the depth of control that the NRA has over on the government.

ZoqFotPik and The Luvly Junkie, you guys cheered me up with those clips. That Pokémon bit was priceless.

Edited by Fremde Frau
(edited)

Y'all, these Republicans are raising my blood pressure with this lawsuit (ugh) and impeachment (UGH) talk. I went and found some of my favorite clips that are keeping me sane.

Remember when we were all so innocent to the "joys" of Sarah Palin? The Republicans are crazy, but this is not new. Bullshit Mountain gets taller by the day. And now, to bring down the blood pressure: Puppy!

You know, the subheading for this topic should be Roll 212.

ABay, I support this.

Edited by BabyVegas

Some while ago, I was looking at World Cup videos in the archive and found these great bits between Jon and John from 2010, covering the England vs US match. They filmed two "alternate World Cup outcomes" depending on which team won and then the "real" bit with actual footage. The alternates are just Jon and John bantering, and they're fantastic.

US ties England

Alternate: US beats England

Alternate: England beats US

My favorite is probably the "US beats England" clip. The last half of the clip is utterly hilarious, with priceless exchanges between Jon and John about how much the World Cup loss hurts, not to mention England losing the Revolutionary War. I am in love with how John delivers the line, "Actually, it does hurt! Good guess!" And Jon's giggly smugness was pitch perfect.

What fantastic chemistry they have! It always just pops off the screen. They seem to enjoy each other's company so much.

• Love 1

I too loved the clip that showed what would happen if the U.S. had beaten England. Jon rubbing Ollie's nose in and Ollie having a tantrum with John loving every minute. It's too bad that didn't happen, although one would wonder what they would have done if Ollie were still at TDS, considering the U.S. had advanced to the knockout round while England were eliminated at the group stage.

I remembered listening to The Bugle podcast in December, 2009 when Ollie said that once he immediately found out England and the U.S were slotted in the same group and had to square off in their respective first game against each other, he immediately ran out of his apartment building and raced all the way to the TDS building so that he could star jawing with Jon. I'd imaging it didn't let up until their big game six months later. 

• Love 3

Oh, what a cute story! I can just imagine their banter! I wish I could listen to John talking about it; I tried the Bugle website, but the archive only goes back to 2012. Darn! At least the Daily Show archive is available. I've missed out on a lot of Oliver goodness, since I only recently found out about The Bugle. That is the story of my life: always years behind everyone else.

(Now that I revisited this page and saw the link to that clip, I had to watch it again. I might be addicted to it.)

I am hoping someone can help me find a Daily Show clip from sometime last summer, around  the time of Snowden's leaks. Or perhaps someone remembers what I am talking about:

I believe it was the first segment of the show. Jon spent ~10 minutes discussing the Snowden revelations, and at the end, started talking about an executive directive/memo. The memo outlined certain United States foreign policy objectives, and stated that the president was bound (by the memo/directive) to fufill the listed objectives. The implicaiton being that these decisions have been made in advance. The segment ends with Jon saying "What the f is this now?" in reference to the memo, then the camera pans out to go to commercial.

If anyone knows the name of that directive, or the episode to which i am referring, PLEASE let me know!! Either one is fine. I have been googling for the name of the document, but have come up empty. I also rewatched all of late spring - fall 2013 episodes (minus Oliver's hosting - quite certain it was Stewart) but couldn't find the episode... so thats why i turned to this forum for help. Hopefully you are as obsessive watchers like me.

Just going back to the original post in this thread for a moment, whereas the Besty McCaughey interview will always be beyond trippy, it was almost inevitable that it would go that pear-shaped and strange.  This was a woman who insisted that her subjective interpretation of a passage was the only interpretation and didn't seem to grasp the vast difference that was between subjective and literal.   Then that was picked up by a  misinformed, under-qualified, overly-reactionary, idiot of a woman prone to sensationalism in the form of Palin as "death panels" and McCaughey strenuously objected to Palin using her own, subjective interpretation of McCaughey's word.   

It was like performance art long before Jon ever entered the picture, so whereas that one is ass-awkward, it's just confirming what was pretty clear prior to her appearance:  She's nuts and Jon was going to try and reason with a woman in the grips of an epic case of digging her heels foolishly in.  

So for my money nothing is ever really going to top Jon offering to kill Jennifer Love Hewitt's dog....and then implying that she's a whore...all during an interview about The Garflied Movie.   McCaughey's interview flew South with the birds from the moment it was booked, it took some heavy-fucking-lifting on Jon's part to make a puff piece about a cartoon cat movie into that "what did he just say? Is he drunk?!" debacle.  

I have almost no thoughts on Jennifer Love Hewitt, but she was a saint to not just walk the hell out at any point.  Just saying, that takes some doing.  No wonder Jon rarely, rarely talks about the actual movie when a celebrity is on to promote one.  It can be almost dangerous in the result. 

Edited by stillshimpy

In the Hollywood Reporter article, John Oliver cited two days in particular when the news stories had been particularly rough on Jon.

That's not to say that Daily Show doesn't get to Stewart sometimes. It's not easy to mine laughs out of depressing headlines, and following the news cycle is its own kind of hell.

"Every six months to a year, I would see Jon go through something where he's just drained by the end of the show," says Oliver — citing in particular the 2007 revelations of patient neglect at Walter Reed and the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India. But, he adds, "Jon is just so good at still being funny in the eye of a painful storm."

I think the clips below are what John's talking about.

March 5, 2007: They spent the whole episode on the Walter Reed clusterfuck: M*E*S*S, Bad Hospitality, Dodge Caravan, and the Bob Woodruff interview, during which it came up briefly. (The episode ended on a lighthearted note: a cute toss after Stephen won a Man of the Year award.)

December 1, 2008: Mumbai Tragedy (Why is this still so relevant today? They could re-air this segment, and it would be perfectly attuned to current events.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on the Comedy Central website (and I'm in the US, so it's not a geo issue), but my favorite toss is the Universal Healthcare one.  Colbert flubbing, asking to it again, and Jon screaming "NO!  You don't get another chance!" has me on the floor every time I think about it.

But my all-time favorite clip is the Prince Charles one upthread.  I watch that every time I'm having a bad day.  The Even-Stevphens about marijuana is a close second though.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

I need a clip break after so much sadness this week. I need my power couple to help me cope. Nope not Stewart/Colbert (the MOZ killed me), I mean this couple. How come I haven't seen pics from their wedding? 

I also miss Jason Jones. I'm not seeing him much since he's busy with a pilot show for TBS and his campaign for Shotgun Harley, but I still miss his pieces. I can post more his travel reports from Iran, Russia, etc., but I'd rather watch him cover the then-Laguna Beach formula (Part 1, Part 2) (P.S. Don't tell me it still exists?!?). Feels like a fragment left of variety flare that didn't need to be politic-related. Plus, it's interesting to get a different angle of "reality television" with satire.  

This thread has been a great trip down Memory Lane.  I'll add a couple more favorites not yet mentioned:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/fqopih/trapped-in-the-men-s-room

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/angok0/trapped-in-the-closet-pt--1

And if TDS is going to continue to do montages for the next couple months I respectfully request one devoted to Jon's "Heh, heh" Bush impression, with a  Cheney "Wah, Wah" montage as a chaser. 

I'd add "Helloooo" and Jersey Guy/Mob guy to those.

TDS is not the meme machine TCR was but there have been a few, right, aside from the the voices? Roll 212. The recurring use of  "or NAMBLA" for years.

• Love 1

I wonder if they'd be open to montage category suggestions without specific clips, like Best of Tosses, Best of Even/Stephen, "Best" "Accents" and "Impressions". Maybe a musical medley with R. Kelly and the Fuck Yourself Chorus.

TDS is not the meme machine TCR was but there have been a few, right, aside from the the voices? Roll 212. The recurring use of  "or NAMBLA" for years.

Well, I don't think it's reached meme-osity yet, but Lord knows I've been doing my part to insinuate "Fuck you. Eyes, ears, nose and throat" into general usage.  Today faculty meetings, tomorrow the world!

The CC site is running voting on viewers' favorite moments, to be aired on a special episode in August. There are clips of all the nominated moments and interviews. I highly recommend killing a few hours there.

For me, it will never get better than the Dick Cheney/shooting stuff, but the segment about Russian dash cams from February 2013 made me giggle uncontrollably: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/lstf5e/how-i-meteored-your-motherland