Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
PrincessPurrsALot

S04.E02: I No Longer Imagine

Recommended Posts


So while she had so much to say about Charley's biracialness, did Nova include her affair with the white married cop in her book? Inquiring minds want to know. I just can't with the hypocrisy.

I hope Hollywood takes care of Vi's good for nothing ex in short order.

Nova is sanctimonious trash, that is all.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

Nova is a garbage person from the land of garbage who should just dive into her garbage pile filled with uninspired metaphors and her family slam book disguised as meaningful literature.

Fuck off, Superstar.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 14
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Welp. Sounds like Nova did mention Too Sweet but not her relationship with the cop. Hope I'm wrong. 

I can't believe how happily Nova gave Micah her book. Does she think Micah will be happy with what he will read? Well maybe he will since so far she can do no wrong in his eyes. 

Hollywood meeting Jimmy Dale will be interesting. 

As sue happy people are these days, Micah really needs to think before throwing a fist. Being the son of famous parents, he will always have a target on his back intentional or not. He can be woke but he needs to be smart and this no tolerance policy he has will backfire.

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Count me in as wondering if Nova copped to her affair with the married white cop. For a split second I was thinking, "Well, maybe she doesn't want to ruin his marriage and his family by naming him and digging up something that's over" but then I remembered she had no problem doing that to her family members, so! I doubt that stopped her.

That scene with Nova and Charley was really good, though. I'm a sucker for those kinds of long, big, emotional blow out scenes. I'm hoping for more of them this season.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Whoo, Nova would be dead to me. It's not just the spilling tea, it's the smug editorializing about her family. The whole tone of the stuff we've heard is very holier than thou and she just doesn't have a leg to stand on. Vi is about to wear her ass out and while Vi gets on my nerves, I am here for that. If I were Charley I wouldn't speak to her either. Not only did she put Charley's very personal business in the street - and Charley is low-key famous so Nova is inviting ALL kinds of drama and inquiry into her life -but she does seem to be poisoning Micah against her. The way she gleefully handed over a signed copy of the book to him when she knew her siblings were furious about it rubbed me the wrong way.

And talking about Blue's paternity is SO WRONG, and I hope she didn't put Darla's drug addicted business out there, but she probably did. Oooh, fuck her, I just got mad again.

(I don't think Charley could sue for libel unless the stuff in the book were false.)

I like this new love interest for Ralph Angel. She's mature (I'm not sure if they're supposed to be the same age but she comes across as older; Kofi Siriboe is really young though and I think he's playing older than his age) and sensible.

Micah came back from Paris with Killmonger's hair. (I know we weren't supposed to like the white kid who made the Black Panther crack but I kind of chuckled because the first thing I thought was Killmonger when I saw him.)

  • Like 13
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Whoo, Nova would be dead to me. It's not just the spilling tea, it's the smug editorializing about her family. The whole tone of the stuff we've heard is very holier than thou and she just doesn't have a leg to stand on. Vi is about to wear her ass out and while Vi gets on my nerves, I am here for that. If I were Charley I wouldn't speak to her either. Not only did she put Charley's very personal business in the street - and Charley is low-key famous so Nova is inviting ALL kinds of drama and inquiry into her life -but she does seem to be poisoning Micah against her. The way she gleefully handed over a signed copy of the book to him when she knew her siblings were furious about it rubbed me the wrong way.

And talking about Blue's paternity is SO WRONG, and I hope she didn't put Darla's drug addicted business out there, but she probably did. Oooh, fuck her, I just got mad again.

(I don't think Charley could sue for libel unless the stuff in the book were false.)

I like this new love interest for Ralph Angel. She's mature (I'm not sure if they're supposed to be the same age but she comes across as older; Kofi Siriboe is really young though and I think he's playing older than his age) and sensible.

Micah came back from Paris with Killmonger's hair. (I know we weren't supposed to like the white kid who made the Black Panther crack but I kind of chuckled because the first thing I thought was Killmonger when I saw him.)

I actually laughed at Micah because I thought the same thing with his hair. 

I agree with you on Nova's wording. She was going in for the kill on all her criticism. I think she did put Darla's business in the book because Charley mention a chapter about her when she talked to RA. 

If Micah is getting into fights because of that white kid, imagine what will happen when the kids learn even more details about his parents. It might be worse than what he experienced at his school in L.A. Charley already had trouble with the farmers in the last two seasons because she didn't fit in with them, this could damage her business with them and her plans against Landry. Nova just didn't think or care about anyone but herself.

Darla wouldn't go there but if she wanted could the information from the book be use as leverage to get full custody of Blue?

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I just cant believe that Nova really does not get that this is a massive betrayal of her whole family, and is still trying to use her never ending pretentiousness to justify this bullshit. It was so bizarre to be agreeing with RA during a fight, but he was totally right when he was calling Nova out for her bullshit. How did she not think Blue would find out about this? Its a small town, of course he will hear about it, even if its from other kids who heard their parents talking without realizing what it was really about. She keeps talking her family like they're sociological experiments, not actual people who have had actual experiences that they are still dealing with! Like RA said, its not "stories" its their lives! Who cares if Charlie and Davis were a "classic case of rape culture" its her sisters life! Her actual life! 

Honestly, if she wanted to take on all of these social justice issues, instead of going on about how her family have been impacted by various issues, why not just make some shit up?! It didnt have to be a memoir, just write a story about some fake family who is just loosely based on her own family, so she isnt dragging them personally! 

I do wonder if she bothered to bring up how much work Charlie has done for the farm and for Queen Sugar, how much hard work and perseverance and how much shit she has put up with to save their families legacy and the other local farmers and how much she has tried to protect her son, in between her multiple chapters about how Charlie is the Queen of rape culture and how awful she is for daring to be biracial? 

And she even dragged poor Darla into this crap? I worry that they're showing how well Darla is doing and what a good place she is in for her to fall hard after the book goes public showcasing her darkest times. 

Micah needs to reconsider his whole zero tolerance policy on white people being assholes. For one thing, I dont think a punch in the face will change many racists minds. For another, someone can easily press charges for assault OR sue the crap out of him, especially if they find out he has rich parents. And Nova cheerfully giving him the book just made my blood boil. Either Micah will be betrayed and horrified by what his Aunt Nova has done, or he will be like "Wow thanks for letting me know how awful and evil my mom is Aunt Nova! Never speaking to HER again!" 

I like Ralph Angels love interest, she seems really mature and responsible, and RA seems to be doing a lot better these days. I hope the book doesent screw it up by portraying him as a no good convict. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I've decided that the only way Nova's book makes any sense is if we're going down a "Who shot JR?" road, and she needs to piss everyone off so that we have a boatload of potential suspects.  Otherwise, I got nothing.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Honestly, if she wanted to take on all of this social justice issues, instead of going on about how her family have been impacted by various issues, why not just make some shit up?! It didnt have to be a memoir, just write a story about some fake family who is just loosely based on her own family, so she isnt dragging them personally! 

This is really the sticking point for me. She could've made all her points in a piece of fiction. And yes, her family would notice the resemblance, but it wouldn't be calling them out by name. But this was a hateful act.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Nova is drinking way too much of her own self-important kool-aid.  "The book is going to help so many people!"  Is it?  Is it really? 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I just cant believe that Nova really does not get that this is a massive betrayal of her whole family, and is still trying to use her never ending pretentiousness to justify this bullshit. It was so bizarre to be agreeing with RA during a fight, but he was totally right when he was calling Nova out for her bullshit. How did she not think Blue would find out about this? Its a small town, of course he will hear about it, even if its from other kids who heard their parents talking without realizing what it was really about. She keeps talking her family like they're sociological experiments, not actual people who have had actual experiences that they are still dealing with! Like RA said, its not "stories" its their lives! Who cares if Charlie and Davis were a "classic case of rape culture" its her sisters life! Her actual life! 

That's what floors me as well. I don't understand Nova's thought process. She's really so far up her own ass that she legitimately thought that her family would be OK with her telling their business. She didn't consult them, didn't even have the decency to give them a heads up until the book was all ready to print. She's trash personified for this. I'm sure she'll get back into their good graces somehow in the finale, but if this were real life, she'd be canceled. 

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And Nova cheerfully giving him the book just made my blood boil. Either Micah will be betrayed and horrified by what his Aunt Nova has done, or he will be like "Wow thanks for letting me know how awful and evil my mom is Aunt Nova! Never speaking to HER again!" 

Knowing Micah, it'll be the latter. He already talks to Charley funny, so I have noooo doubt he'll demonize his mother all the while loving that Aunt Nova exposed the truth. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

How did she not think Blue would find out about this? Its a small town, of course he will hear about it, even if its from other kids who heard their parents talking without realizing what it was really about. She keeps talking her family like they're sociological experiments, not actual people who have had actual experiences that they are still dealing with

When I was around Blue's age, I also found that my dad (the man who had raised me since I was 2) was not my biological dad, and  I found out in an extremely shitty way, so I expect this storyline to be triggering for me. Do not be surprised if you see a expletive-filled rant against Nova from me in a future episode thread. My blood was boiling just watching that Nova/RA scene.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 2
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, AgentRXS said:

When I was around Blue's age, I also found that my dad (the man who has raised me since I was 2) was not my biological dad, and  I found out in an extremely shitty way, so I expect this storyline to be triggering for me. Do not be surprised if you see a expletive-filled rant against Nova from me in a future episode thread. My blood was boiling just watching that Nova/RA scene.

First, I'm sorry that happened to you. Bringing this up also made me remember another "really, bish?" moment of Nova's. She had the nerve to say, "we'll sit him (Blue) down and explain." Girl, what?! You did enough already! She took RA and Darla's choice away by blowing up Blue's paternity in her book. How dare she. 

David Alan Grier is such an underrated actor. I forgot he can also do scary very well. What a hallmark of an abuser. He's seemingly nice and charming when you meet him, but that's how he hooks you. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:32 PM, Arcadiasw said:

Damn Nova! How can she do that to her own family? If I'm friends with Nova I'm rethinking our friendship. You don't need someone like her being keeper of any of your secrets. 

With everyone so happy in the beginning you knew the fall was coming but damn!! The look on Charley's face when she was grilled by that reporter and all those people taking out their phones..... it's a miracle Charley didn't go straight to Nova's place after that event.

Looks to be a good season.

Queen Sugar is off the hook.. Vi's abusive ex-husband Jimmy Dale has rolled back into town. Now what is he sniffing around for?

46 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I know we're only two episodes in but it doesn't seem she mentioned her relationship with the cop. 

Well we now see Nova self -hatred has finally surfaced. That light skinned-dark skinned thing has reared it's ugly head again. I knew Nova was jealous of Charley , they have a history as sisters but there was always distance between them growing up. Nova put this in the book and if it were not an issue , she never would have mentioned it.

Edited by byrd
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

None of Nova's book plot makes an ounce of sense. But who needs character consistency or complexity when everyone can, as usual, Pile On Nova.

But then again, this show has ALWAYS had terrible writing, so.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Dee said:

None of Nova's book plot makes an ounce of sense. But who needs character consistency or complexity when everyone can, as usual, Pile On Nova.

But then again, this show has ALWAYS had terrible writing, so.....

Maybe this is Nova pushed to the extreme.

Pushed to the wall, Nova has done things questionable but always tried to justify it. Nova stole the money to get Too Sweet out of jail after he was beaten up. Nova knows she's wrong but she takes the money from Charley's account and justifies how it was for Too Sweet and even said she'll pay Charley back. (She didn't) but if Too Sweet wasn't beaten, she wouldn't have taken the money. 

Nova is offered advanced pay for her book. She quits her job with the intention of using her stories from her newspaper in the book. The publisher tells Nova she can't use those stories. She needs new ones for the book. That unexpected news catches her off guard and is probably what caused her writers block. As time pass, pressure mounts because she can't come up with anything on her own. As a journalist she's used to telling other people's stories. Not her own. Her future is on the line now. If she can't come up with something the publisher will rescind that six figure offer and book tour. Worst case she'll go back to her newspaper and experience some ridicule. 

On the verge of losing that dream of her book and tour, Nova is pushed to the wall and the only way she sees out is telling her family's stories. There is a gold mine of stories there. She knows she's wrong but justifies it saying it will help so many people. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

On a light hearted note, my sympathy to all the writers (published and nonpublished) in their family. You know your family's looking at you with some serious side eye. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Knowing Micah, it'll be the latter. He already talks to Charley funny, so I have noooo doubt he'll demonize his mother all that while loving that Aunt Nova exposed the truth. 

Which will be pretty hilarious and hypocritical coming from him, since I seem to recall him being a fairly big brat to Charley for being "hard" on Davis back then and breaking up their family.

But for real, from what I remember, while Charley didn't handle that situation in the most ideal way, as she was in denial and believed Davis at first, once she had proof of what he did, she called her whole plan off and let Davis deal with his mess himself, didn't she? And apologized for what she said/did? If my memory is correct, that's a pretty human and understandable response for a woman who has, up until this point, had full trust in her husband.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Maybe this is Nova pushed to the extreme.

Pushed to the wall, Nova has done things questionable but always tried to justify it. Nova stole the money to get Too Sweet out of jail after he was beaten up. Nova knows she's wrong but she takes the money from Charley's account and justifies how it was for Too Sweet and even said she'll pay Charley back. (She didn't) but if Too Sweet wasn't beaten, she wouldn't have taken the money. 

Nova is offered advanced pay for her book. She quits her job with the intention of using her stories from her newspaper in the book. The publisher tells Nova she can't use those stories. She needs new ones for the book. That unexpected news catches her off guard and is probably what caused her writers block. As time pass, pressure mounts because she can't come up with anything on her own. As a journalist she's used to telling other people's stories. Not her own. Her future is on the line now. If she can't come up with something the publisher will rescind that six figure offer and book tour. Worst case she'll go back to her newspaper and experience some ridicule. 

On the verge of losing that dream of her book and tour, Nova is pushed to the wall and the only way she sees out is telling her family's stories. There is a gold mine of stories there. She knows she's wrong but justifies it saying it will help so many people. 

Nova would not compromise Micah or Blue in that manner.

But this is a show that absolves Ralph Angel & Charley of everything while Nova is constantly reduced to a plot device.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, colorbars said:

Which will be pretty hilarious and hypocritical coming from him, since I seem to recall him being a fairly big brat to Charley for being "hard" on Davis back then and breaking up their family.

That's before Micah knew the truth.

As soon as he was aware of the circumstances, he took his mother's side resolutely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Pushed to the wall, Nova has done things questionable but always tried to justify it. 

This what bothers me about Nova; she never owns up to her ish; she thinks that actions are for the greater good--never mind the collateral damage she leaves behind.

What I found infuriating was how she seems to think she did her family a favor by airing their dirty laundry--despite their objections. 

As some mentioned up thread, she could have.written a  fictionalized account to spare the her family humiliation. I hope destroying families and reputation was worth the being on the NYT bestsellers list.

For once, I want Charley to win, but I'm worried that the book will give the Landrys some leverage against her

Edited by sereion
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, Charley's like, "My son is an international celebrity now? But what about me?"

Was RA wearing eyeliner in that scene the mall? His eyes were unusually popping to me.

David Alan Grier had that character down pat, from the slow strut to that greasy schmoozing with everyone he meets. I'm surprised the guy's name isn't Junebug.

Sigh, Micah. When keeping it real goes wrong...

AFAIC, Nova needs a stabbin'. Wonder who'll do the honors? Maybe if Darla falls off the wagon she'll do it. She won't be happy if there's blowback on Blue because of Nova's book.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, byrd said:Well we now see Nova self -hatred has finally surfaced. That light skinned-dark skinned thing has reared it's ugly head again. I knew Nova was jealous of Charley , they have a history as sisters but there was always distance between them growing up. Nova put this in the book and if it were not an issue , she never would have mentioned it.

Yep.

I noticed this when they showed Nova’s board on the 3rd season finale. Nova posted cards that read “Colorism” and “Privilege “ next to Charlie’s name. 

And while I hate the way Nova went about it, I do not think that anyone can deny that having light skin has its advantages (especially when dealing with white people). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Nova really was so stupid to think that Blue wouldn't find out anything from school? Then she had the audacity to offer herself to sit down and talk about it with Blue? He has parents who it was up to them to tell him about his biological father, not her.

She is so full of herself and thinking how her soap opera she published will help who?

If Micah defends her, I hope someone slaps them both. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2019 at 6:18 PM, Arcadiasw said:

On a light hearted note, my sympathy to all the writers (published and nonpublished) in their family. You know your family's looking at you with some serious side eye. 

Your sympathies should be with the family members with complicated stories.  A writer's ambition and a good story are a terrible combination.  

When Nova got the New Yorker offer, I was like, damn, I probably would tell  one family secret for publishing in the New Yorker. 

But the book is off the charts bat shit crazy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, Dee said:

Nova would not compromise Micah or Blue in that manner.

But this is a show that absolves Ralph Angel & Charley of everything while Nova is constantly reduced to a plot device.

Yeah, I think its easier for the writers to pick on Nova because she's a writer, and we're a self hating bunch.  

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size