Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I don't have a Facebook account, but someone who does found this:

Seems like Sam is the go-to guy for promo this season. Wonder if we will see anything of Caitriona Balfe as well.

Sam is also doing the Late Late Show. Edited by mtsmvfn

Pssst GHScorpoisRule -- today is Wednesday.  You have to wait another 24 hours.  :)  I just set my DVR to record and the online description of the show says he'll be on tomorrow night.

PS:  I live in the central time zone so the show starts at 11:35.  I'm guessing where you live it starts at 12:35am in which case you'll be seeing him verra early Friday morning.

Edited by WatchrTina

Pssst GHScorpoisRule -- today is Wednesday.  You have to wait another 24 hours.  :)  I just set my DVR to record and the online description of the show says he'll be on tomorrow night.

I'm setting my dvr for both nights. Because 12:35 a.m. makes it March 31! Thursday would make it April 1! So technically, tonight would be Thursday, in the wee hours. Aye, I'm a rambling because I've a MONGO headache. But I'm almost positive Sam will be on tonight's show. Or early tomorrow, or...ye ken wot I mean!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Okay I'm laughing because even though I'm 99.9% sure I'm right, I'm setting my DVR to capture tonight's show just in case.  Don't want to miss our JAMMF!

Okay, aye, yer right. Though I think that the way they have said "On Thursday night" is WRONG.  Technically, if Sam is appearing on Thursday...och, never mind. I forget, CaliFornIA...three hours behind, so it is Thursday. BAH!

I hate that I overthought this!

Just in case you've missed these:

Caitriona Balfe's Outlander Baby Bump Seriously Distracted Sam Heughan

http://www.eonline.com/news/750301/caitriona-balfe-s-outlander-baby-bump-seriously-distracted-sam-heughan

Outlander's Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan Adorably Find Out Who Knows Who Better

http://www.eonline.com/news/749017/outlander-s-caitriona-balfe-and-sam-heughan-adorably-find-out-who-knows-who-better

Edited by asp
(edited)

The best part of Sam's appearance on The Late Late Show was Rita Wilson's reaction to him.  There she was, a celebrity in her own right, married to one of Hollywood's biggest names (Tom Hanks) and she had a total fan-girl oh-my-gawd-it's-Jamie-Fraser reaction to Sam, complete with nestling in next to him for a prolonged cuddle.  Apparently she discovered the show while on vacation with a group of female friends (sans husbands) and they reacted to the show pretty much the way we all did.  

One of us!  One of us! 

Here's a link to a portion of the interview (pre-cuddle) that should work everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNX5YHR04A

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
(edited)

The best part of Sam's appearance on The Late Late Show was Rita Wilson's reaction to him.

The second-best part was "ur-EYE-nil". Not "ur-A-nal", Luke Bryan.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 1
(edited)

Fabulous! Someone videotaped the Outlander event in L.A. from March 31st! It involves Sam, Cait, and Tobias, along with many of the writers/producers. I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't say whether there are any SPOILERS. So, be warned.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

That was terrific Nidratime.  Thanks for posting.  I'd say it's pretty spoiler free (the audience even demands that they NOT be spoiled by the questions.)  And since the panel includes the writers the questions are very much focused on writing and story and that process more than the usual actor-focused questions.  As a result almost everything I heard was new, which was wonderful.

Sigh.

I have to admit, the "interview" with Sam on The Late Late Show was quite the disappointment. The only thing I liked was when Rita was snuggling up to him, and Sam said "Sorry, Tom." Made me snerk.  And of course, the UrEYEnal story.

But, 'twas good to see Sam. I'macountingthedaystill Saturday! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree GHScorpiosRule.  Right now Sam is a bit trapped in his "identity" as the hottie we Outlander fans are all lusting after.  I noticed it before during that extra panel he was on at the last Comic-Con.  All the other men on the "Warrior" panel treated him as the designated "heart-throb".  One even had to hug Sam "for my wife" and later said "we all just want to sit here and listen to your accent."  It's a double-edged sword.  Sam is a good looking man and Jamie Fraser is something of a romantic ideal so that gets him a lot of attention which I hope is good for his career and the show, but I'm sorry when those two things overshadow the really fine acting that Sam has been doing.

All that being said, I think Sam is having a lot of fun right now and I'm happy for him.  He, Cait & Tobias all seemed very happy on that panel posted above.  They got lucky when they landed in this show and they know it (especially Sam & Cait.)

I'm happy too.  Every morning I wake up there is something new for me to read about the show and we are one day closer to the premiere.  Yay!!!

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

I really wish Sam would use the Scots brogue in his interviews as weell. I just have to settle for turning into goo when I hear him say "guid" and "buik" I guess.

Wot?

Christian Bale does it ALL.THE.TIME. but in reverse. I want to hear his English/Welsh accent in interviews. Instead, I get the American one. Though I did love him going off script in his Batman Begins interview, because he'd lost sooo much weight in doing The Machinist and Nolan told him to put a lot of weight on, and he did, to the point where Bale mimicked one of the producers or maybe Nolan: "Christ, Chris, we're no' doing FATMAN, but Batman!" or something like that. 'Twas funny. That''s me point.  And he sounded SEXAY.

Not that Sam doesna sound SEXAY in interviews. When he's allowed to speak more than four words. But I looooooove his Sctos brrrrogue MORE, ye ken?

So...based on TNY review, it sounds like Jamie's fortress speech from book 1 will make its way to season 2.

I love that speech; it's honest, vulnerable, and heartbreaking. I can't wait to see Sam's delivery of it.

So . . . . I came home early from work today -- never mind how -- all so I could watch the Outlander premier red carpet streaming live on Entertainment Tonight's Facebook page.  Except . . . nothing is happening.  Just dozens of questions from Outlander fans saying "Where is the live feed?"

Sigh.  Get it together ET.

(edited)

It's working now but is really bad so far. Lots of blank screen and the host is blathering on, trying to fill the void. How long does this go, does anybody know?

Ok, got better once people to talk to were finally there. Still felt awkward but everyone was gracious.

Edited by morgan
(edited)

Yeah the sound and picture finally came up for me. Got to hear the Tobias interview. Then when it was Cait's turn the power went out in my building. FML.

If came back a few minutes later and I did get to see Sam, who was his usual charming gracious self so that was good. If anyone is interested ET says they will post a video of the whole thing on their Facebook page. I won't bother. This whole thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Especially after I tweeted about the technical difficulties and somebody from one of the twitter fan clubs took it upon herself to chastise me for complaining. WTF?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I was able to see Maril, Ron, Tobias, Cait, and Sam interviewed but really wasn't worth it. A few minor spoilers were shared, they were all gracious, but I was left feeling grateful that my job does not entail walking a red carpet/answering the same questions over and over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they do it. But it reminds me of being at a bad work cocktail party.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was able to see Maril, Ron, Tobias, Cait, and Sam interviewed but really wasn't worth it. A few minor spoilers were shared, they were all gracious, but I was left feeling grateful that my job does not entail walking a red carpet/answering the same questions over and over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they do it. But it reminds me of being at a bad work cocktail party.

I get really easy second-hand embarrassment, especially when it comes to fandoms. Not sure why. (I wonder sometimes if I blocked something out from my New Kids on the Block days.) So unless I know an interview is excellent, I usually prefer to read articles rather than watch potential cringe-inducing videos. Nine times out of ten the actors/producers/crew members are cool about everything, so it's no big deal.  The Outlander gang always seems especially gracious and easy-going. I hope they have a great rest of the week in NYC.  

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 3

If came back a few minutes later and I did get to see Sam, who was his usual charming gracious self so that was good.  If anyone is interested ET says they will post a video of the whole thing on their Facebook page.  I won't bother.  This whole thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Especially after I tweeted about the technical difficulties and somebody from one of the twitter fan clubs took it upon herself to chastise me for complaining.  WFT?

I'm sorry that happened but I lol when I read this. It's pretty typical to get scolded for any critique, no matter how lightly, with anything to do with OL.

(edited)

Here is a link to a really good Outlander panel.  Possibly the best I've ever seen.  The moderator is awful -- I wanted to tear my hair out pretty much every time she opened her mouth -- but the good news is that she at least had the good sense to let the panel talk without interruption most of the time.  So 95% of this panel is really entertaining.  What makes it particularly good is that it focuses primarily on production.  This is the first panel where I've seen the production designer.  He shows drawings and lots of shots of sets including many that have not been seen in the trailer.  If you consider sets a spoiler, consider your self warned.  Terry gives a nice long talk about costume design complete with both the sources of inspirations for many of Claire's costumes and lots and lots of photos / scenes highlighting many costumes across many characters.  The talk highlights one key costume for Claire that has not been seen before.  Again, if seeing the costumes is a spoiler for you, consider yourself warned. There are also a few scenes where, as a reader, I could detect some key moments that have not even been hinted at in the trailers.  I honestly don't think a non-reader could pick up on the things I was reacting to but they are there.

There is also a mild spoiler about Frank's storyline in episode 1.  It's been hinted at elsewhere so I'm not upset by what I heard but they do trip up and discuss plot for just a moment.  

Note, the video appears to be over 2 hours long but it's not -- the first hour is blank -- just fast forward to about the mid-point when the talk actually begins.  Enjoy!

http://www.emmys.com/events/scotland-paris-behind-scenes-journey-outlander

Here's the same content on YouTube (in case the Emmy website does not work in your country.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo0aWxwY2EA&sns=tw

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4
(edited)

Lynette Rice senior editor of EW Magazine and Amy Wilkinson also an editor on EW will host an hour recap show. every monday after an episode airs on EW Radio called Outlander Live.it will be live at 11 am pacific time. They will have guests and the public can call in to the show. Her first guest will be Maril Davis.

Edited by mtsmvfn
  • Love 1

Thanks for posting the links WatchrTina.

I love the talk about the sets as well. It's a first as far as panels are concerned and they blew my mind awat!

• Love 1

The costumes and sets are extremely beautiful and the inspirations for Claire's gowns are genius. They were breathtaking. I can't imagine this show not getting some awards in these two categories, at least.

• Love 2

I agree Nidratime! I love the whole fish out of water/time take on Claire costumes.

I'm dying to have a good look at Master Raymond's shop. I feel I could get lost in there.

This show has been as immersive as the books, so yeah to all the awards.

I've never seen (and I'm 61) anything come close to the kind of quality and attention to detail before, and that includes many BBC shows!

I've been watching these panels and as excited as I am for season 2 (!!!) they're also making me really excited for a potential season 3. When I hear them discussing all the issues involved in adapting Dragonfly it just makes me imagine Voyager. So, so, so exciting. Thanks for all the links.

• Love 1

This was a great panel, thanks for posting! I saved it for cardio at the gym and it flew by. Had to come home and cast the costume section onto my tv. Terry is amazing.

• Love 1
WatchrTina, on 01 Apr 2016 - 2:00 PM, said:

The best part of Sam's appearance on The Late Late Show was Rita Wilson's reaction to him.  There she was, a celebrity in her own right, married to one of Hollywood's biggest names (Tom Hanks) and she had a total fan-girl oh-my-gawd-it's-Jamie-Fraser reaction to Sam, complete with nestling in next to him for a prolonged cuddle.  Apparently she discovered the show while on vacation with a group of female friends (sans husbands) and they reacted to the show pretty much the way we all did.  

One of us!  One of us! 

Here's a link to a portion of the interview (pre-cuddle) that should work everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNX5YHR04A

Oh that was adorable!  Thank you for sharing.  That other cutie next to Sam was no slouch either!  

• Love 1

I loved the Emmy panel. So nice to hear them talk about something other than their chemistry or playing drinking games. And Terry's explanation of the costumes was really thoughtful and smart. 

• Love 2

Here is a link to a really good Outlander panel.  Possibly the best I've ever seen.  The moderator is awful -- I wanted to tear my hair out pretty much every time she opened her mouth -- but the good news is that she at least had the good sense to let the panel talk without interruption most of the time.  So 95% of this panel is really entertaining.  What makes it particularly good is that it focuses primarily on production.  This is the first panel where I've seen the production designer.  He shows drawings and lots of shots of sets including many that have not been seen in the trailer.  If you consider sets a spoiler, consider your self warned.  Terry gives a nice long talk about costume design complete with both the sources of inspirations for many of Claire's costumes and lots and lots of photos / scenes highlighting many costumes across many characters.  The talk highlights one key costume for Claire that has not been seen before.  Again, if seeing the costumes is a spoiler for you, consider yourself warned. There are also a few scenes where, as a reader, I could detect some key moments that have not even been hinted at in the trailers.  I honestly don't think a non-reader could pick up on the things I was reacting to but they are there.

There is also a mild spoiler about Frank's storyline in episode 1.  It's been hinted at elsewhere so I'm not upset by what I heard but they do trip up and discuss plot for just a moment.  

Note, the video appears to be over 2 hours long but it's not -- the first hour is blank -- just fast forward to about the mid-point when the talk actually begins.  Enjoy!

http://www.emmys.com/events/scotland-paris-behind-scenes-journey-outlander

Here's the same content on YouTube (in case the Emmy website does not work in your country.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo0aWxwY2EA&sns=tw0

Thanks for posting that - these panels get really repetitive after a while but this one was different and informative.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it's really interesting that Terry and the Production Designer were encouraged to put together show-and-tell presentations for the Emmy panel. I suspect that everyone thinks this season is the best shot each of them has for an Emmy nomination and that's why they focused on those areas during this panel. I think those presentations are the logical next step in a campaign to get the show recognized with awards and I think putting the costumes on display in the windows of Saks Fifth Avenue was the opening salvo in that campaign. I hope it works. I do think this show is a visual feast. Even the gut-wrenching last episode of last season had shots that were startlingly beautiful (like the shot of Claire through the trap door after Black Jack tosses her out of Wentworth.)

Is it Saturday yet?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

You know I never even thought of that, WatchrTina, but it makes perfect sense. I am so tempted to head to NYC to see the windows in person. I am truly amazed at how incredibly beautiful they are all.