Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

New York City and surrounding metro fans:

Outlander ‏@Outlander_Starz 11m11 minutes ago

.@SamHeughan will be taking to the streets of NYC as Grand Marshal of the Tartan Day Parade! #NYTartanWeek

And, appropriately, this is on April 9.

I'm totally staying away from spoilers, as it appears that the trailers are revealing a lot (maybe too much?) about the second season, and I want to be able to enjoy it and see what they do with it. That said, I love the stuff Starz is showing, hyping the premiere date. Enough to whet the excitement without giving too much away.

• Love 1

Looks like "Entertainment Weekly" is going all out there for Outlander and how! Our main pair are on the cover in all there glory and the show looks like it's being featured.

Read with care; there's hints at developments in the second season.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/outlander-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe-ew-cover?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

I like the EW pictures, but I'm also massively chafing at the cover lines and the overall huge emphasis on the sex scenes. I get that it's marketing, but the positioning of the show as a bodice ripper/guilty pleasure just feels.. weak. It's gotten fans talking, though, so I guess it worked. 

Edited by tcay
  • Love 2

I like the EW pictures, but I'm also massively chafing at the cover lines and the overall huge emphasis on the sex scenes. I get that it's marketing, but the positioning of the show as a bodice ripper/guilty pleasure just feels.. weak. It's gotten fans talking, though, so I guess it worked. 

Well talking from my house, wifey liked the Jamie stuff ( big understatement),and I don't mind the eye candy of Cat (bigger understatement) I'm glad neither one of us are dead yet, LOL.

About that EW cover --  I find it interesting that they kept the scar from the last episode of season 1 (where Murtagh cut the brand off of Jamie) but they didn't bother with the back prosthetic.  I can think of two possible explanations.

1. The scar is a bit of fan service for the people who will say  "0h look, they remembered to include Jamie's new scar" but they weren't willing to mess with lines of that lovely sculpted back during a semi-nude photo shoot.  If so, I say thank you because we'll never see Sam's actual back in the show.

2. The other possibility is that Sam actually has a scar there and they wrote it into the show.  Since the fans expect to see it, they didn't cover it with makeup.  

I'd be interested to know which of these (if either) is correct.

About that EW cover --  I find it interesting that they kept the scar from the last episode of season 1 (where Murtagh cut the brand off of Jamie) but they didn't bother with the back prosthetic.  I can think of two possible explanations.

1. The scar is a bit of fan service for the people who will say  "0h look, they remembered to include Jamie's new scar" but they weren't willing to mess with lines of that lovely sculpted back during a semi-nude photo shoot.  If so, I say thank you because we'll never see Sam's actual back in the show.

2. The other possibility is that Sam actually has a scar there and they wrote it into the show.  Since the fans expect to see it, they didn't cover it with makeup.  

Do you mean if he had an actual scar where he got branded?

My recollection is he didn't before the brand.

They do show the scars on his back, plus the one sustained at the Duke's duel:

https://41.media.tumblr.com/a157c826b65bc40dea2c4a322b499690/tumblr_o35imsCq0w1ux4ycco4_1280.jpg

• Love 1

Oooh, thanks asp.  I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy of EW but it has not come yet and I had not seen that one online before.

And now I'm going to post some more links to EW online because there are VIDEOS from the photo shoot.

Here's one about the photo shoot itself:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/outlander-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe-ew-cover

Here's one where they talk about season 2 a bit:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/outlander-season-2-video

Here's one where they talk about sex.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/26/outlander-video

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

It's actually hard to find "EW' around my hood. The Giant Supermarket is hopelessly late in stocking magazines and the CVS doesn't appear to carry it at all. I decided just to order it since I don't have time to run around town trying to find it.

You're welcome WatchrTina, and thanks for posting the links to the videos.

I've been looking at those photos ever since they came out and you know what strikes me?

That Cait looks bored and almost pissed off with the whole business. It's as if she adopted that angry/blasé stance models so often show on the runway.

Is it just me or does anybody else feel the same?

I don't have a lot of patience for the people clutching their pearls over the perceived raunchiness (it isn't) of that cover.  However, I will say that while all of the photos are gorgeous, in some of them it's clear that they're modeling, that they're being posed.  Cait especially (and understandably) has her model face on, not her Claire face.  But there are also a couple of pictures that are clearly of Sam and not Jamie.  I think that might be what people are reacting to when they say that they look angry or annoyed. 

That said, I'm not complaining at all, and in a little while I'm going to go out in search of that magazine.  Anything that brings people to the show and the books is okay with me.  

My mom always told me not to wish my life away but I am going to bust a gut if April 9 doesn't get here soon.

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 3

toolazy I think you put your finger right on the issue. I can't see the characters (Jamie and Claire) I only see the actors (Sam and Cait).

But don't get me wrong, I love the photos and those, shall I say, four?!?!  :)

• Love 1

Well, I got my copy of EW (I'm a subscriber) and I'm a bit disappointed.  I guess the website spoiled me because I'd pretty much seen all the photos already except for one.  There is a photo of Sam on the table of contents page and yay for the extra photo but . . . well . . . it's not going to be a favorite photo of mine.  He's wearing the white puffy shirt we've seen in the photo shoot videos and holding a letter and a quill and it all looks very Lord Byron/romance novel to me. His hair is loose and bit hobbit-like so, yeah, not a favorite.

I'm also disappointed because the very first paragraph includes this bit of nonsense (mild spoiler ahead) 

Apparently season 2 includes a scene where French ladies ask Claire what English ladies call a penis. To her credit, Claire is not amused and answers in a candid but impatient manner.

Focusing on a scene like that is just childish.  And then the paragraph reiterates the nonsense about Cait and Sam having to publicly deny an off-camera love affair, going on to quote Cait as saying "Honestly, I'm tired of that conversation."  So am I and I'm saddened to see the topic brought up again and again.  It's an invasion of their privacy.

But there was one statement in the interview that gladdened my heart. It says:

Balfe is on board for the long haul.  "I don't forget examples of people dying to get off shows that make them successful, and you never see them again.  Opportunities like this don't come along often."

Yay Cait!  In my heart of hearts she was the one I was afraid might get tired of the demands of show.  She's in a big movie this year with big stars (George Clooney and Julia Roberts) and I have been afraid that the lure of big movies might make her want to free up her calendar sooner than Sam.  I've never worried about Sam because I think his Scottish heritage makes this show more important to him than to Cait and also Sam strikes me as an independent film kind of guy -- which means the steady paycheck of a hit show will be more important to him.  I could be completely wrong with both those characterizations but that's what I've been thinking so I'm glad to read that Cait is in it for the long haul.

The article includes an exclusive excerpt from Book 9, which I transcribed and posted in the Book 9 thread.

Edited by WatchrTina

Me again.  Here's another example where the EW article is trying to make Outlanders sound like it's all about the sexy times.  The very last paragraph refers to a scene from Book 2 that we readers know is actually a comic scene -- one of the funniest in the book -- but EW tries to make it sound completely different.  Meet me behind the spoiler bars if you want to know.

The article reads: If you liked the way that Claire and Jamie romped in Scotland, you're going to love how they get busy in France by episode 2 and the way she, uh, soaks up the local customs practiced by French gals in an effort to arouse their men."I thought you'd be intrigued, " Clair coos as she slips between the sheets with her smoking Scot. "Something different." Mais oui.

"Gals"?  Seriously?  I may vomit.

Boo.  I don't like the tone of this article.  But I am 100% team Outlander and EW is a big magazine so Hooray! for the cover.  If the article attracts people who are interested in the romance and sexy times, well I suspect they'll stay for the political intrigue and drama.  It is, after all, a ripping good yarn.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

EW has been a huge supporter of Outlander since the beginning so i can't get too twisted up about it.

Another thing to think about when reading snippets about scenes from next season is that they are completely and totally out of context and are being interpreted and described by someone not associated with the show.  So I'm going to wait and see before I judge anything. 

Here's another Outlander panel. This time in NYC and it's going to be webcast live! It's on April 5 at 7:30 p.m.

Panelists:

Ronald D. Moore, Showrunner, Writer and Executive Producer
    Maril Davis, Executive Producer
    Terry Dresbach, Costume Designer
    Jon Gary Steele, Production Designer
    Caitriona Balfe, Claire Randall Fraser
    Sam Heughan, Jamie Fraser
    Tobias Menzies, Frank Randall/Jack Randall

Also, Bear McCreary will perform his new theme for this second-season.  (So, I guess we're going to have a new theme song?)

http://www.emmys.com/events/scotland-paris-behind-scenes-journey-outlander

Someone remind me of this when it comes up!

Outlander Daily ‏@OutlanderDaily 19m19 minutes ago

Looks like @SamHeughan is going to make the late night talkshow rounds starting with @latelateshow.

Mark you calendars for March 31st!!!!

Here's a link with more info:

Outlander TV News ‏@OutlanderTVNews 3m3 minutes ago

Sam Heughan Scheduled to Appear on James Corden March 31st http://bit.ly/1Uj6tDS #Outlander

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

New video about season 2!  Whooo hoooo!  #DroughtlanderDeux is almost over.

That was awesome. Finally get a taste of a bunch of the secondary characters. Plus - Fergus gets a line!

Jamie interacting with kids

is one of my favorite parts of the books.

Part of me wishes Starz released all the episodes at once, since DiA is so great. The other part of me looks forward to the anticipation of each episode, like waiting for Christmas morning every week.

I don't have a Facebook account, but someone who does found this:

Sam Heughan is on Live With Kelly & Michael - Friday April 8 - 9:00 am ABC - SOLD OUT - NO TICKETS AVAILABLE

Seems like Sam is the go-to guy for promo this season. Wonder if we will see anything of Caitriona Balfe as well.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

If you have any friends you've been wanting to introduce to the series, but who don't have STARZ, now is your chance.  Season 1 is available to all for free on-demand, on-line at STARZPlay.com.  I think all the episodes willl stay available between now and the April 9 premiere of Seasons 2.

http://www.starz.com/originals/outlander/episodes?cid=ols2_s1sampling

There are fewer than 16 days between now and the premiere so I guess I'll just have to watch more than 1 episode a couple of nights between now and then.  Not a problem!

ETA:  My copy of Entertainment Weekly just arrived with Brienne of Tarth (Game of Thrones) on the cover and a full-page add for Outlander on page 3.  Squeeee!

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1