Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Memento Mori

(edited)

Ok, Abby. You've just been told that the Primes have the ability to upload memories/personalities into computer chips and insert these memories/personalities into other people.  You know that your people have been around long enough to exchange some basic information. You also know how quickly they've talked in previous seasons, and you know that torture is a thing. 

Then you notice that Clarke isn't acting like Clarke.

And you don't put all this together?

And you agree to this, right after lecturing Jackson on war crimes?

If I were the Primes, I wouldn't be too confident in Abby's current abilities to manufacture Nightblood. Not unless she's just playing along, because otherwise, my take on this is that she's not firing on all cylinders.

Diyoza continues to be great. And the Commanders, I see, continue to have death on the brain - literally - even when the Evil Commander Dude isn't prodding them.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 3

I'm hoping that Abby was merely playing Josephine. Otherwise...what a crappy mother she is for not recognizing that this wasn't her daughter. 

So, we get a glimpse of Clarke at the end. Oh yay! No surprise she isn't actually dead.

Diyoza is fantastic and I loved her scene with Xavier. Now we have magical red regenerative goo? Ok, then. And I guess Octavia's going into the Anomaly for....reasons?

Madi turns dark, which could be fun to watch. I wonder what the Dark Commander's actual plan is, besides likely taking over Madi's body.

Bellamy susses out Murphy's turn and Murphy kind of does play multiple sides when he tattles on Josephine to her father. I did like Murphy/Josephine's scenes. I am surprised she just handed Murphy the chips for him and, I presume, Emori. 

Raven continues to be uber judgmental this season, which doesn't make me like her. I guess she was on rotation to be the most irritating character this season. Last season, it was Octavia and Abby. Season 4, it was Clarke and Jaha. Season 3, it was Bellamy. Season 2, it was Finn. Season 1, it was a whole slew of characters. So it's Raven's turn, I guess! 

• Love 3

This episode lost me at "I give her 3 hours tops before the time dilation reaches her brain."   Who writes this crap ?

And the Time Anomaly, source of the time flares, is calling to Octavia.  Sure, why not ?

And what was the deal with the parasitic trees invading that guys body ?  Was that punishment, I guess ?  But then that guard said he volunteered.  To what end ?

Abby is so stupid.  I'm hoping that she accidentally spaces herself out an airlock off-camera next episode.

The motorcycle mechanic is also a radiation shield expert -- I guess you pick up a few things in 206 years.

Where the hell was Jordan this episode ?  He up and disappeared like a foraging party.  What exactly are they foraging for ?  They showed that they have fields of food growing, wouldn't they have picked clean anything with walking distance in 200 years.  Then again, maybe they were just going to the mall.

So Clarke isn't truly dead.  Yawn. What a surprise. Never saw that coming. </sarcasm>

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And the Time Anomaly, source of the time flares, is calling to Octavia.  Sure, why not ?

Not sure that injuring her hand and making her want to cut it off is the best way to start up a dialogue, but, as you said, why not?

That said, I'm feeling a similar dynamic with season three - a season that started with most of the characters involved in the Grounder/Skykru drama and only a few characters even vaguely aware of the real threat - ALIE. Here, most of the characters are involved in the Primes Are Really Awful People But Sure, Let's Make a Deal to Survive Drama, with just a couple of characters focused on this Time Anomaly and its love of spirals plot. I'm going to guess that the Time Anomaly will end up being a bigger deal in the finale than the Primes.

I think the guy in the trees failed to defend a character who died in a previous episode, and the "volunteer" part was "agreed to take on a guard job and failed at it" part, thus sticking him in a tree.

I'm not sure they were foraging for food? I thought maybe they were foraging for that healing tree sap. Which brings up another question: why are the Primes stealing bodies when they have miracle tree sap? Is it just not a very effective moisturizer?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Yeah, if Abby isn't actually playing Josephine, then she really is truly hopeless if she finds out that the Primes can take over bodies with Nightblood, and "Clarke" just happens to be acting different then she normally does.

Glad Bellamy saw through Murphy's atypical "Pretend to act as a prisoner to turn him" ploy, but it looks like he will back down anyway.  But I wonder about Echo because I don't see her falling in line.  Not to mention Madi getting ready to go on a warpath with the help of this "Dark Commander" in her chip/head.

Even though she's completely right, Raven somehow ends up coming off like a jerk.  Probably because of her first scene when she more or less claim that she has nothing she feels sorry for.  I'm pretty sure everyone has done some regrettable shit here, Raven.  Yours might not be as bad as some of the other ones, but it is there.

Have no idea what is going on with the Octavia stuff, except Diyoza continues to be awesome and I'm glad Xavier/Chuku Modu's character is getting more to do.

Found it kind of funny that we didn't even see a post-reaction from Russell over how Josephine set him up.  You'd think there would at least been a "Dammit, daughter!  You can be doing shit like that to me, even if I can come back!" retort from him.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, if Abby isn't actually playing Josephine, then she really is truly hopeless if she finds out that the Primes can take over bodies with Nightblood, and "Clarke" just happens to be acting different then she normally does.

I mean, she's going to figure it out when she comes back to Earth and someone lets her know that Clarke is dead. The ending kind of made all of it a moot point once Bellamy started telling people the truth. They were kind of in between a rock and a hard place with Bellamy, though. Either they kept him locked up for a few episodes or he was let go and told people. Echo already figured it out, Gaia was on her way to figuring it out if not for Dark Madi distracting her, and Jordan, if he was in the episode, probably would have pieced it together too. 

So, in the end, Josephine still gets her Nightbloods made, and everyone knows the truth. Except none of them know that Clarke's still alive and they could actually save her. So Murphy working with Josephine could be for nothing (besides immortality, of course).

Besides, Echo and Madi aren't going to fall in line. Echo looks pissed off enough for the both of them. While Bellamy is grieving, Echo seems to be the one to take over the leadership against the Primes role that would have been him. And Madi's already planning to kill everyone in sight so....that's not a good sign. 

• Love 3

Abby better have figured out that Josephine is not her daughter or she really will be the absolute worst. She even had the biggest clue, no leftie would start writing with their right hand. 

Also I guess Murphy neglected to tell Jo that Madi having been raised by Clarke is also a fighter and killer. They didn't think she would want revenge for her mother's death?

When Bellamy said they were going to do what Clarke would do, I was like if it was any one of you the primes killed, Clarke would kill everyone and burn it all the ground. Being better doesn't mean she's going to let people get away with killing her people. 

Madi should go find Octavia and Diyoza once they are done with their time alien thing and have them for the attack on Sanctum. 

I also love how they have to get rid of the actors that have other shows, bye Gaia have fun being a witch in Greendale. 

• Love 1

Does Abby feel responsible for the death of Clarke's father? I thought was a thing before that she knew it had to be done since he broke the rules and so she doesn't feel guilty about it or something.. At least I'm hoping I remember that right so Abby does actually know that Clarke is full of shit. 

Plus, she needs a nightblood to make more nightbloods... unless she was just going to get equipment, I'd think the technology they have on the planet is enough to do a bone marrow extraction... So maybe she was going because she figured it out. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, roctavia said:

Does Abby feel responsible for the death of Clarke's father? I thought was a thing before that she knew it had to be done since he broke the rules and so she doesn't feel guilty about it or something.. At least I'm hoping I remember that right so Abby does actually know that Clarke is full of shit. 

Plus, she needs a nightblood to make more nightbloods... unless she was just going to get equipment, I'd think the technology they have on the planet is enough to do a bone marrow extraction... So maybe she was going because she figured it out. 

Maybe she went back to the ship to wake up all those very nice people they have in cryo... The way the actress played it during the hug with Josephine (hugging her without much warmth and with her eyes open) could indicate that she knows it wasn't Clarke. Maybe.

And talking about cryo, I'm envious of the lush curls and beautiful highlights it gave to the girls' hair. So shiny! It even gave Raven lipstick! Magical!

13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

This episode lost me at "I give her 3 hours tops before the time dilation reaches her brain."   Who writes this crap ?

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Oh the time anomaly (already a big WTF) wants to talk to us. OK. Sure. And it tells you this by ageing you with a flare, cause why not, and then making your hand turn in a spiral. This makes total sense.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Isazouzi said:

Maybe she went back to the ship to wake up all those very nice people they have in cryo... The way the actress played it during the hug with Josephine (hugging her without much warmth and with her eyes open) could indicate that she knows it wasn't Clarke. Maybe.

As much as my knee jerk reaction is to want Abby to sick 300 murders on the Primes as retaliation for making Clarke a host, I don't buy it.  If they do it, it will be totally out of character.  There is just no way that Abby realizes that the Primes snatched Clarke's body and she holds it together to hug Clarke, knowing her daughter isn't there anymore, and goes up to the ship and plot revenge without saying a word.  I think they are still playing out Abby being mentally screwed up and self absorbed and focused on saving Kane no matter the cost and she is too blinded to see that the cost includes her daughter.

11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

When Bellamy said they were going to do what Clarke would do, I was like if it was any one of you the primes killed, Clarke would kill everyone and burn it all the ground. Being better doesn't mean she's going to let people get away with killing her people. 

Bellamy acting like this is what Clarke would do is horse shit.  This is effectively a redux of Mt Weather.  Bellamy decided to live in separately, in peace with the protected class that is using people as meat suits. 

It would be like Clarke cutting a deal with the Mountain Men to live in peace while they sucked Grounders of bone marrow; but making this deal after they'd killed Bellamy because they really needed what his bone marrow could give them.

18 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Raven though she's completely right, Raven somehow ends up coming off like a jerk.  Probably because of her first scene when she more or less claim that she has nothing she feels sorry for.  I'm pretty sure everyone has done some regrettable shit here, Raven.  Yours might not be as bad as some of the other ones, but it is there.m him.

I find it infuriating, that once again Raven is removed from having to face the hard truths so they can continue to use her as the righteously indignant.  Raven can claim she hasn't done anything she regretted because she's never had to state an opinion or make a decision while its happening.  She just arm chair quarterbacks everything with 20/20 hindsight and an air or moral superiority.

I'd really like to see, in the moment,  what she has to say about Bellamy going along with the plan to let the Primes create more Nightbloods so they can live in peace in their own compound.  Would she stand up to him?  Demand they fight?  Go along with it?

Instead she gets to make a flippant remark to a Prime about whether he's taken his last body and then go off to pilot Abby to the ship for reasons she's not privy to.  I'm sure by the time she is back in the action they'll be in the fallout portion of the decision making so Raven can tell them how awful they all are and how much better she is.

23 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The level of stupid that had to be happening to not come up with anything better than Octavia's hand shaking being the time anomaly calling to her by making her draw a spiral was about my undoing.

23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Madi turns dark, which could be fun to watch. I wonder what the Dark Commander's actual plan is, besides likely taking over Madi's body.

I was pleasantly surprised that Madi banished Gaia instead of going full dark immediately and killing her.

I'm still thinking the Commanders and the Primes are the opposite sides of the same coin.  The Dark Commander has the ability to take over Madi.  Clarke has the ability to regain control of herself.

Super convenient that there is now a separation ritual for dangerous chip personalities.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I was starting to think that maybe we were getting a Fred/Illyria (Angel) situation here: no, Fred's not dead. They'll bring her back. She can't be dead! There is no way she is dead! ... Huh, I guess she is dead and we're stuck with Illyria now. But the last 60 seconds proved me wrong. Yay!

I would bet money that Abby doesn't realize that is not Clarke. 

Was Diyoza drawing the sprials in the notebook meaning the time anomaly is calling out to her too or was that Octavia's notebook?

• Love 1

So is Clarke in a mental prison that looks like her jail cell from season one? It would be kind of cool for Clarke to go back to season one in her mind and to see how much she and everyone else has changed. And Clarke isnt dead, which isnt exactly shocking, but still nice. I've been burned before, and Clarke deserves better. 

Come on Abby, you cant pick up on the massive changes in your own freaking daughter? Even Murphy caught on pretty quickly that something was up with her. Waving getting her boyfriend back shouldn't distract her for that long, or she has just gone too far. 

Diyoza is still awesome and I am very intrigued by her story. Looks like this time thing is going to be the big plot to make everyone move past the Prime stuff or will happen once its dealt with. Probably with tons of people getting killed, because its The 100. 

I do love that Bellamy knew right away that Murphy was up to some shit, and that Murphy coped to its right away. They know each other really well, for good and for bad. I think that Murphy really does think this is their best shot at survival, as they dont really know how to survive on this planet without these people, or if they have any chance to find another planet or moon, so this is their best option. Plus his new fear of eternal damnation and all of that.

Even when I agree with Raven, her self ritiousness is so freaking annoying. She isnt wrong that the guy she was talking with was benefiting from a deeply unfair system, but her self importance and always acting like she has never done anything wrong while everything else is awful and garbage just makes it hard to agree with her. Everyone on this show has done awful stuff, and has to live with it. Its kind of a major theme of the show, Raven.

• Love 4

Octavia's situation is strange and a bit ridiculous but it is scifi/fantasy so I'm prepared to wait it out and see what it leads to before I completely dismiss it. My biggest questions concern Maddie and the dark commander. It feels like it came out of nowhere. Am I wrong or is there previously established lore? I don't ever remember a dark commander reference or storyline and I don't remember there ever being talk of a male nightblood leader, even. Even Roan was just some kind of tribal royalty, was he not? Where did this concern about removing the flame chip from Maddie so she won't go mad come from? This whole plot development doesn't seem to have any predetermined roots and feels like it was just wedge in. Am I forgetting things? As of now I think it's easily the least interesting storyline and, ironically I suppose, the one that bothers me the most, lol! 

• Love 1

Wow this episode was bad. What a pile of nonsense. 

Just aside from the utter gobbledygook about time dilation and anomalies and that weird scene with the tree sacrifice, this society continues to make zero sense. ZERO. And on top of all of that, the dialogue was bad. Really bad. This was a poorly-written episode from beginning to end.  

Oh and yeah the whole Dark Commander thing is an annoying retcon

• Love 6

Ugh. This season is sliding downhill to boring town quickly. The body snatchers storyline doesn’t hold my interest at all. It’s just another Clarke central story that will probably eventually provide redemption for someone. Yawn. Even evil Josephine/Clarke feels like a retread. 

I’m much more interested in the new Grounders and how they survive the death trap of a planet/moon. I don’t understand the “anomaly.”  Is it just a shape? Is it the killer king of the killer crap that seems to be everywhere? Is it alive? An alien? A former commander? Alie? Clarke’s dad reincarnated as a weirdo space thing? 

4 hours ago, ramble said:

Ugh. This season is sliding downhill to boring town quickly. The body snatchers storyline doesn’t hold my interest at all. It’s just another Clarke central story that will probably eventually provide redemption for someone. Yawn. Even evil Josephine/Clarke feels like a retread. 

I’m much more interested in the new Grounders and how they survive the death trap of a planet/moon. I don’t understand the “anomaly.”  Is it just a shape? Is it the killer king of the killer crap that seems to be everywhere? Is it alive? An alien? A former commander? Alie? Clarke’s dad reincarnated as a weirdo space thing? 

I'm assuming the anomaly is now being controlled by Gabriel since they hinted that he disappeared into it or something... and that's going to turn into some big deal, or be a nuclear bomb that is going to destroy yet another planet. 

• Love 1

Okay, so this is taking a turn, now, but I'm still holding out hope for it. We got off to such a strong start.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, in the end, Josephine still gets her Nightbloods made, and everyone knows the truth. Except none of them know that Clarke's still alive and they could actually save her. So Murphy working with Josephine could be for nothing (besides immortality, of course).

That's a good point. It makes sense to me that the characters did what they did from an "action A should reasonably lead to result B" point of view, but, from a narrative point of view it feels like that was a lot of set-up for a con that was revealed right away. I know this show's MO is to set something up like it's going to be a huge problem and then immediately zig-zag into a different problem instead, but still.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:02 PM, Isazouzi said:

And talking about cryo, I'm envious of the lush curls and beautiful highlights it gave to the girls' hair. So shiny! It even gave Raven lipstick! Magical!

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Oh the time anomaly (already a big WTF) wants to talk to us. OK. Sure. And it tells you this by ageing you with a flare, cause why not, and then making your hand turn in a spiral. This makes total sense.

I LOL'd at the scene where they all reveal they have a spiral pattern in their minds. That story took a really hard turn into the bizarre all of a sudden. And, even though I've never seen Lost, it feels the way I imagine Lost would.

For the hair stuff, I think it's interesting when the hair/makeup department starts doing something new and you can see that it's a pattern that holds across several different characters. Like, someone behind the scenes clearly likes a certain way of styling hair. It made Raven look different enough that I didn't recognize her in the first few episodes.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:07 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Bellamy acting like this is what Clarke would do is horse shit.  This is effectively a redux of Mt Weather.  Bellamy decided to live in separately, in peace with the protected class that is using people as meat suits.

The part I don't understand is why any of them would, for any moment, believe that the Primes will leave them all alone and not force them to be Nightblood hosts. I know that this is theoretically voluntary, but, if there was a lesson from Mt. Weather, it's that people will get really greedy when they see an unexpected opportunity to save themselves.

The Primes already killed Clarke! I know they said sorry, but they're totally going to kill the rest of you, guys.

On 6/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, SourK said:

The part I don't understand is why any of them would, for any moment, believe that the Primes will leave them all alone and not force them to be Nightblood hosts. I know that this is theoretically voluntary, but, if there was a lesson from Mt. Weather, it's that people will get really greedy when they see an unexpected opportunity to save themselves.

The Primes already killed Clarke! I know they said sorry, but they're totally going to kill the rest of you, guys.

THIS! Hard to believe they are really that gullible, but I guess we have to assume that they are suspending disbelief because they are so tired of fighting and/or looking for a safe place.

(edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 1:45 AM, AudienceofOne said:

Oh and yeah the whole Dark Commander thing is an annoying retcon

Succinct, but it's as good an answer as any, lol. Thanks for reassuring I'm not COMPLETELY losing my mind. 😂 Now I can proceed to the next one with a modicum of peace. 

Edited by Daltrey