Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Archer: 1999 -- Bort the Garj

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The premiere just HAD to be on at the same time as the finale of What We Do in The Shadows. But thanks to the magic of DVR, I chose this to watch first.

I actually caught the first ten(?) minutes at the Archer panel at this past NYCC, and you're all in for a treat. It didn't have the special fx done yet, so this was the first time I saw what Malory's energy orb self properly looks like, and she's fantastic. And all the space shots were gorgeous, to boot. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that's the ACTUAL audience reaction when Pam first appears. Seriously, nobody saw that coming.

Loved hearing "nooooope" again. And man, I loved the short hair look on Carol. Also, Rock Monster Pam is amazing, as is Bishop Krieger, and Space Courtesan Ray. And love that Barry is now a full droid in this one.

Also, not only do I love that the ship is the M/V Seamus, but the patch on everyone's arms has Babou the Ocelot and 934 TXS.

I honestly can't wait to see what's next.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Wow.  I didn't laugh once during this whole thing.  I'm disappointed into what this show has become that I don't think I like it anymore.  So many of the voice actors just sounded bored and stiff like they're tired of it, too.  Jessica Walter, especially.

Welcome to the final season. Maybe. At this point, I don't know. Maybe Archer wakes from the coma, we have one last season in "the real world," and flash-forward to find out everyone's fates.

At least the template hasn't changed . . . Archer is still an asshole, and the people around him suffer for that. Well, maybe not Pam, since she's a rock monster alien now. The point is that she's large enough to beat serious ass, and isn't that a big part of what make Pam our Pam?

Barry is a robot to start? Let me guess . . . he'll be strapping on human parts for the entire season. Or maybe that's too obvious, especially with Krieger being synthetic. Hey, maybe his body will get destroyed, forcing his mind into a robot bird.

I'm not getting Malory's deal. Is she a human who can be turned into a snippy ball of light? Not too important . . . just curious.

Here's hoping Ray can save the crew next week, since he's the only one on the ship.

Bort is a buttplug that needs to eat alot of dicks. And I don't feel grimy typing that out. Go  figure.

Nice to have Cyril back, and still being useless at suppressing fire. Never change. Oh, and Rick and Morty launches in November, so 2019 will be a good year of Chris Parnell voicing buttmonkeys.

• Love 1

I thought the set up was interesting.  I really like the idea of Archer and Lana as bickering exes.  Also Cheryl as a fighter pilot who hates her job.  Barry is an actual Robot but then so is Krueger and both make for interesting developments.  Pam is an actual Rock monster.  

The only characters that do nothing for me this season are Ray and Cyril.   Although Ray has the potential to be fairly interesting if the show tries hard enough but when has the show ever tried past the obvious jokes?  And unless the show does something surprising Cyril is playing his usual sad sack.

Still this so is humorous enough for me to keep watching.

(edited)

Not perfect and it did feel like going through the motions early on but it got better and had some funny lines.  I like Rock Monster Pam and still enjoy Archer telling Cyril that he couldn't suppress a cough.  The animation continues to be fantastic.

Edited by benteen

I loved it.  So glad Archer is back!  I really liked that Bort really is royalty (hope we see his parents at some point) & that it was all an elaborate plan to trap Archer.  Because of course it was! 

Rock monster Pam may need to grow on me--though if she quotes The Neverending Story, I may fall out.

Cheryl & Mallory were terrific as always, and I can't wait to see what shenanigans Kreiger gets into now that he's the robot (Synthetic Human!).

I only got to see part of this episode (closer to the end) but it looks like they are pulling stuff from different sci-fi things.

Pam kind of resembles Krog from Ragnarok

Cheryl is known as "Carol" and looks to be the troubled, but talented female space fighter pilot. 

everyone else seems to be playing themselves. 

This episode was okay but not really great or at least the parts that I have seen. 

6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Is Ray supposed to be channeling Morena Baccarin from Firefly?

Yeah, I saw that part and my first thought was Firefly? But then again this is Ray (or at least a version of it) and I am guessing that he and Mallory are going to be the ones to save the rest of them. 

This was OK. It didn't wow me the way the last 2 season premier's did.

I did like the whole BJ discussion while Carol was killing all the pirates.

Also I got serious Cowboy BeBop vibes from the opening credits. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Also I got serious Cowboy BeBop vibes from the opening credits. 

I thought it was the usual. But bringing up Cowboy Bebop allows me to submit the idea of Archer a la Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, since the “Diamond is Unbreakable” arc takes place in 1999. Or, per the credits, “1999 bee-zer summer.” All I know for sure is if Archer had a Stsnd, it would totally be called “Danger Zone.”

Underwhelming premiere. I did laugh at Cyril's "suppressing fire!" but then again I always do. 

On 5/30/2019 at 5:11 AM, kokapetl said:

Did anyone else notice that Krieger had a woman’s bulge?

Yes!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

thought it was the usual. But bringing up Cowboy Bebop allows me to submit the idea oArcher a la Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, since the “Diamond is Unbreakable” arc takes place in 1999. Or, per the credits, “1999 bee-zer summer.” All I know for sure is if Archer had a Stsnd, it would totally be called “Danger Zone.”

It was, I don't know why I felt that way. Maybe because of the Space Theme, maybe it was always that way and I jist never noticed how much it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop.

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

All I know for sure is if Archer had a Stand, it would totally be called “Danger Zone.”

Barry's would be Double Vision, for Other Barry. (maybe Other Barry IS a stand?!)

On 5/29/2019 at 8:31 PM, Galileo908 said:

And man, I loved the short hair look on Carol.

I know it's a cartoon, but that is a hot look. I loved that she totally wrecked shop as the fighter pilot.

One thing I thought was interesting was that they weren't supposed to have weaponry, so as much as Lana was bitching, she wants the ship in one piece, and I'm getting the impression that they both wanted to gun the ship up. 

The animation for the ships and planets are exceptional. 

• Love 2

Damn it Barry!

I admit that I do hope that we at least get a little bit of the "real" world before the show ends, but Archer in space seems like it will be fun. I like Archer and Lana as bickering exs running a ship together ala The Orville

So Cheryl is Carol, and is actually good at something! Plus that hairstyle looks great on her, animated or not. 

On 6/12/2019 at 12:51 PM, Bruinsfan said:

It got two laughs from me, Malory turning out to be MOTHER and Ray as Inara.

I'm several episodes in and I still can't figure out what Mallory is.  Is she a hard light hologram like the Doctor from Star Trek Voyager or is she some sort of energy being?