Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E23: Hoʻokāhi no lā o ka malihini (A Stranger Only for a Day)

• Start Topic

(edited)

I figured that the neighbor had either murdered his wife or there was a meth lab somewhere on the property, so no real surprises.  

That woman hanging off of the cliff definitely had some stamina.  She lost lots of blood, but still managed to shoot two people, escape through the wilderness for a long way and then hang on to a branch for hours and hours.  To me, it would have been more realistic if she had been huddled on a ledge halfway down the cliff.  Junior could have still been heroic and climbed down to her if she had started to lose consciousness and fall off.  Also, I wanted to see a scene where she found out that one of the two people she shot dead was innocent. The whole episode seemed a little choppy (editing-wise).

I don't remember having a problem with Steve's sister on the other episodes she's been on, but this time she was annoying.  The actress seemed really wooden (maybe it was the dialogue).  She also mumbled and I had trouble understanding a lot of what she said.

I'm okay with Junior and Tani getting together. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I'm just happy they didn't drag the 'suspense' out longer. 

Edited by BooksRule
Steve, not Steven
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

That woman hanging off of the cliff definitely had some stamina.  She lost lots of blood, but still managed to shoot two people, escape through the wilderness for a long way and then hang on to a branch for hours and hours.

Yeah, the blood in the bathroom was a bit overdone. That much blood definitely not conducive to all her subsequent actions.

Another show decides to put two co-workers in a romantic situation. When will TPTB learn that this is a tired subplot that doesn't work?

• Love 2
(edited)

I barely paid attention but damn did Tani look good in that slinky number - too bad WornOnTv is no longer covering the show. While I find them cute together I'm dreading the pairing a bit, couples can't just be happy on shows like this one - there will be drama. But if they follow the Kensi/Deeks route I'm okay but YMMV. 

Also: I hate hearing songs that bring back tons of memories and then realize that it's a cover which means I'm on my way to the museum. But at least this made me check out Alison Moyet - still touring and going strong. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
(edited)

I liked how they worked the illegal rental issue into the show, apparently that's an ongoing problem on the islands.  Mary was looking pretty good in most of her scenes, except for the first one at the shrimp truck with the headband.  That....was not her look.  I figured Taryn pissed someone off in hair and makeup. 

I realize it was just a plot device to get the kid out of the way, but all I could think of was what if something happened at little Joannie's first away camp?  What if she got sick, or injured, or there was a fire, or she just wasn't having it?  Mary was a good twelve hours away (five hour flight, plus travel and logistics on both ends) from getting to her in a crisis.  Now, I'm not in favor of helicopter parenting, but that's like the opposite!  They had been doing such a good job with Mary's redemption arc, making her out to be a good caretaker and an excellent mom, then this?  It was like she was saying "I'm free!  I'm free!  Now it can be all about me-me-me!" I get it, parenting is hard, and being a single mother is even harder (did we ever get more details on how Mary got Joannie?), but they've made such a big deal over how Mary has grown and changed, and then they had her revert to selfish Mary again wanting a solo vacay with maybe some bootie call action.  I know, I know...it was just a plot device...

I did love how, even in his exasperation, Steve immediately backed Mary up.  First over the illegal rental complaint thing, then over her suspicions about the seemingly good guy neighbor.  He didn't just dismiss her ideas and suspicions, he accepted them and mulled them over.  Steve has grown too, he accepts now that even though Mary can be a bit wacky, she has good instincts.

I do still really get a kick out of Tani calling Junior "Junes".   And just how adorable was he dancing with those little girls?

Edited by HurricaneVal
Really autocorrect? You turned "mulled" to "killed" ? Those are two *very* different words...
  • Love 5

I have a hard time believing that the injured woman wouldn't have just used one of the two dead guys' phones to call for help after she'd killed them rather than running through the woods and falling off a cliff, or that not one of the team had a rope or bungee cord in their car trunk that they could have tied onto Junior while he went down the cliff face, but suspending disbelief while watching this show isn't a new thing.

I'm not trying to be mean, but Taryn Manning looks awful. I was shocked when she appeared because I wondered if she has some kind of new or worsening drug problem. I also thought the way she was speaking was strange, sort of slurry and mushmouthed in a way that I don't remember her being before. But maybe this is all set up for a plot arc for next season? Like, she knew the neighbor was running a meth house and what the cat litter was for and that the gas was flammable because she makes meth herself? I'm not really interested in seeing the show go that route, but it's a better possibility than that the actress herself is spiraling.

I knew Junior's dancing was going to be bananas. Never, never challenge a guy to a dance-off. Guys who are afraid of looking stupid on the dance floor simply refuse to dance period, but if a guy is willing to dance, he's willing to do it in the most batshit way possible. I surprised myself by crying a little at the end though. I've been shipping Tani and Junior all along, but I didn't know I'd be that happy to see them finally get together.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

what if something happened at little Joannie's first away camp?  What if she got sick, or injured, or there was a fire, or she just wasn't having it? 

Especially since she's 6!!! Has she ever had a sleepover somewhere? Has she ever slept without her mother nearby? I would figure she would get homesick. Actually, wouldn't more moms be nervous/upset about their kids' first time away from home? Mary's like "Woohoo! Brat's gone. I'm gonna party!!!".

• Love 2

I have always disliked Mary.  I don’t know if it is the actor, character, writing or a combination of those factors.  She seemed the same to me as she has on previous episodes.

Not only did Mary leave the state while her kid was at camp (do most sleepaway camps take six-year-olds?) but she prowls around a stranger’s house, finds something bad and instead of hauling ass out in case the owner returns, just sits there waiting for her bro.  I guess leaving her daughter an orphan isn’t much of a concern.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I have a hard time believing that the injured woman wouldn't have just used one of the two dead guys' phones to call for help after she'd killed them rather than running through the woods and falling off a cliff, or that not one of the team had a rope or bungee cord in their car trunk that they could have tied onto Junior while he went down the cliff face, but suspending disbelief while watching this show isn't a new thing.

I'm not trying to be mean, but Taryn Manning looks awful. I was shocked when she appeared because I wondered if she has some kind of new or worsening drug problem. I also thought the way she was speaking was strange, sort of slurry and mushmouthed in a way that I don't remember her being before. But maybe this is all set up for a plot arc for next season? Like, she knew the neighbor was running a meth house and what the cat litter was for and that the gas was flammable because she makes meth herself? I'm not really interested in seeing the show go that route, but it's a better possibility than that the actress herself is spiraling.

I knew Junior's dancing was going to be bananas. Never, never challenge a guy to a dance-off. Guys who are afraid of looking stupid on the dance floor simply refuse to dance period, but if a guy is willing to dance, he's willing to do it in the most batshit way possible. I surprised myself by crying a little at the end though. I've been shipping Tani and Junior all along, but I didn't know I'd be that happy to see them finally get together.

When the show started, I think it was implied—among other negative faults—Steve’s sister Mary probably had substance abuse issues, either ongoing (which we never actually saw) or in the past starting after their father sent them to the Mainland, supposedly for their safety, after the apparent death of their mother in a car bombing; her issues with her family were apparently brought on by abandonment issues after Papa McG sent them away from Hawaii then didn’t keep in touch.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was annoyed as soon as they opening with Danny whining about the prom. Also, I don't care for the actor who plays Mary. 

I'm surprised they picked up the wedding +1 plot thread. Though this is why I don't talk about my private life work. Because it's no fucking business of Lou whether they go to the wedding and it's a date or not, and he can shut his fucking mouth about it. 

And the cat.

The constant arguing. Now they're doing it on the phone? shut up.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1
On 5/4/2019 at 12:22 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I liked how they worked the illegal rental issue into the show, apparently that's an ongoing problem on the islands. 

Why is it illegal there? Air BnB is all over the place. 

(edited)
39 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Why is it illegal there? Air BnB is all over the place. 

Airbnb isn't illegal, but it's illegal to offer short-term rentals without a permit and without paying taxes on the revenue, and since only a very few new permits have been issued in the state over the last 30 years, it's a safe bet that any given Airbnb listing is illegal. This is probably a bigger issue in Hawaii than in other states because their largest industry and therefore source of tax revenue is tourism.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1
(edited)

As much as this episode annoyed me, Steve was actually funny with Mary - "ok, that's worse."

The rock climbing looked like an exciting stunt. Although it looked like they could have slid down safely (reasonably).

Why didn't they take an uber or cab to the wedding? Jun said he wanted to take advantage of the open bar. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2019 at 7:52 AM, preeya said:

Another show decides to put two co-workers in a romantic situation. When will TPTB learn that this is a tired subplot that doesn't work?

The actual bold plot would have been to keep them platonic. All the Tani "men and women can be platonic!" which is true, and then good job TPTB with the empowerment.

• Like 1

I kind of drifted away watching this episode, but how would the meth lab arrests stick when they only found out about the illegal activity because Steve's sister broke into the house. 

• Love 2

Really the woman that was on the ledge. As she tried to play the "victim" but thankfully Five 0 looked right through the ruse over the two people she killed.

Mary has since a bit matured. No longer that of living in the heart and mind of a five year old. With her own baby Jack. Maybe being a mother can mature you. She is still childish but no more like that when she has been on.

At least Steve did not dismiss her claim and backed her up. Not just she was his sister but he is a police officer.

Junior and Tani both really hope they do not follow the marriage way until the end of the show. But would love to see season 10. As if Blue Bloods is renewed, hope Five 0 can be.

Really the woman that was on the ledge. As she tried to play the "victim" but thankfully Five 0 looked right through the ruse over the two people she killed.

Mary has since a bit matured. No longer that of living in the heart and mind of a five year old. With her own baby Jack. Maybe being a mother can mature you. She is still childish but no more like that when she has been on.

At least Steve did not dismiss her claim and backed her up. Not just she was his sister but he is a police officer.

Junior and Tani both really hope they do not follow the marriage way until the end of the show. But would love to see season 10. As if Blue Bloods is renewed, hope Five 0 can be.

39 minutes ago, buckboard said:

I kind of drifted away watching this episode, but how would the meth lab arrests stick when they only found out about the illegal activity because Steve's sister broke into the house. 

Civil rights < 5-0, as it has always been.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, buckboard said:

I kind of drifted away watching this episode, but how would the meth lab arrests stick when they only found out about the illegal activity because Steve's sister broke into the house

The 4 th amendment doesn't apply to Five 0

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I don’t know if it is the actor, character, writing or a combination of those factors.

It's all of that, but I have never understood why they didn't get an actress who was more believeable as Steve's sister.  Her scene in the pilot was cut so they could have re-cast after the show got the green light.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Taryn Manning is always a delightful mess as Mary. She's terrible, of course, but she's so terrible that it is kind of funny. You know, like, "Hey, check it out, they're letting Taryn Manning be on TV again! On a show watched by millions! They're not even forced to do it! This was their idea!" 

Damn, Tani looked good in that dress. I mean, daaaaaaaaaamn. 

I totally feel you in general, @ganesh, but I think it's fair enough to note that this stuff DOES happen all of the time and it's not like they rushed into it. Plus, 5-0 has been on the air for roughly 326 seasons (roughly) and this is only the second time they've had two of the team members get together (Catherine doesn't count, since she was made part of the team after she was already dating Steve) and the other example (Abbi and Chin) is a bit of a stretch since she was only a temporary member, so platonic relationships have been the rule more than the exception up 'til this point (especially with Lori and Steve, which I really liked how they kept them platonic), so I think it's fair enough for them to make an exception now. 

That said, did they seriously get them together to the same song that Tim and Dawn got together to on the original Office? That's....odd. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
Figured I'd make the exaggeration joke a bit clearer. ;)
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Taryn Manning is always a delightful mess as Mary. She's terrible, of course, but she's so terrible that it is kind of funny. You know, like, "Hey, check it out, they're letting Taryn Manning be on TV again! On a show watched by millions! They're not even forced to do it! This was their idea!" 

Daaaaaaaaamn, Tani looked good in that dress. I mean, daaaaaaaaaamn. 

I totally feel you in general, @ganesh, but I think it's fair enough to note that this stuff DOES happen all of the time and it's not like they rushed into it. Plus, 5-0 has been on the air for roughly 26 seasons (roughly) and this is only the second time they've had two of the team members get together (Catherine doesn't count, since she was made part of the team after she was already dating Steve) and the other example (Abbi and Chin) is a bit of a stretch since she was only a temporary member, so platonic relationships have been the rule more than the exception up 'til this point (especially with Lori and Steve, which I really liked how they kept them platonic), so I think it's fair enough for them to make an exception now. 

That said, did they seriously get them together to the same song that Tim and Dawn got together to on the original Office? That's....odd. 

26 seasons? Between the “Classic” & “Reboot” versions, the franchise has only been on 21 seasons, so far. The “Classic” version lasted 12 seasons (Fall 1968-Spring 1980); the “Reboot” version has been on 9 seasons, so far (Fall 2010-Present; potential 10th season yet to be announced). 

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

She's terrible, of course, but she's so terrible that it is kind of funny. You know, like, "Hey, check it out, they're letting Taryn Manning be on TV again! On a show watched by millions! They're not even forced to do it! This was their idea!"

I'm continually amazed when she pops up on the screen. She must have the best agent in the world. Galaxy. 

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I think it's fair enough for them to make an exception now. 

TV-wise it's a tired plot, and it happened on the heels of Tani going on about male-female platonic relationships, so they undermined her character and they just look like a bunch of dudebros because one lady asked if Jun was single and she started crying ffs. 

I would think Jun would know that these relationships in a small unit isn't necessarily a good idea. Hey though, maybe they'll have a plot where they realize it's not a good idea. 

I'm in general not a shipper as it is, so fwiw. I think I can count on one hand who I've shipped in 30 years+ of watching tv. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm okay with Junior and Tani getting together. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later

Yeah, but when will Tani and "Junes" get their mandatory kidnapping/hostage episode.  Everyone else connected with 5-0 has been abducted at least once, so you know their turn is coming up soon. 

It's like an initiation.  You can't be a "real" member of 5-0 until you have survived your first abduction.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, Mittengirl said:

Wasn’t Tani held hostage this season?  In the tsunami (hurricane?) episode?

Yes, but that was more because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  She still needs her own personalized kidnapping/hostage situation in order to be a real part of the team.

• Love 1