Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

^ Yep!

I know it's ridiculous because $$ but I really wish I could go back to those recaps, MBTV & Damn Hell Ass Kings were so good to me back in the day. Also Dave do you remember who did Once and Again? I want to say it was Sarah but I could be remembering wrong. 

Count me in as another person who watched Rags to Ritches, although it was terrible and I know I didn't even finish season one.

I'm okay with Dave hating on Bill Nye the Science guy, but it was amazing when it was a recurring sketch on Almost Live, a local sketch comedy show (which featured Joel McHale in later years). In fact, only Seattle-area people would care, but Almost Live is a show I wish I had access to on the regular. So funny.

I'd love to see a live action reboot of Jonny Quest. Super genius scientist who sort of seems to work for the government, his hunky bodyguard, his precocious son, and the little Hindu boy they kidnap/adopt. Traveling the earth. Getting into adventures. Fighting monsters. The coolest Saturday morning cartoon of all time!

Tim Matheson, the original voice of Jonny, could Play Doctor Quest.

I would SO watch this show, especially if Race Bannon were Dr. Quest's hunky bodyguard-slash-lover. I can't be the only one who wondered about those two.

I would SO watch this show, especially if Race Bannon were Dr. Quest's hunky bodyguard-slash-lover. I can't be the only one who wondered about those two.

What I remember us talking about back then was how much more Jonny looked like Race than he did Doctor Quest. Hmmmmm.

I want Simon and Simon freed from whatever jail they've been put in! Also I'd like The Fall Guy and Hardcastle and McCormick. I can't believe none of these are on Netflix! I mean so many other great 80s shows are. Why not these?!

I'd like to watch an episode of The Fall Guy. By that I mean I'd like to watch the worst episode of The Fall Guy. I bet it has Bigfoot in it.

Well, I don't know about The Fall Guy, but definitely The Six Million Dollar Man!

So...you guys all heard about Mark Wahlberg in the Six Billion Dollar Man, right?

I just saw that! It's spooky because this is one of those instances where my husband is pretty sure he made it happen with his brain, kind of like how Sarah got Project Greenlight restarted... Today I have him concentrating on us winning the lottery. 

I hope it 's a DIFFERENT lottery than ours Lisin because we're concentrating on that here in GA. ;) 

I have a total weakness for Marky Mark, he has a blockiness that I enjoy in a movie on in the background. In conclusion YAY 6 Billion Dollar Man! 

The Doug Loves Movies "Mark Wahlberg" has completely supplanted real Mark Wahlberg in my brain at this point.  It's all I ever think of when I hear the name.  I have to actually remind myself that there's a real Mark Wahlberg out there who doesn't appear on comedy movie game show podcasts.

The aversion to DVDs seems a little weird to me. I guess I'm curious how people watch their content. Some things can be streamed on a Roku, but other things need to watched on a computer (which can be hooked up to your TV) and I really don't think it takes much longer to find something on the internet and hook up your computer than it does to put it a DVD. Also, you can watch DVDs on your computer, so your friend is probably not correct when she says she doesn't have a DVD player.

My computer doesn't have an optical drive, so no DVD watching on it. Maybe that's the case for the friend as well.

I agree with our hosts that DVDs are a pain. I mean, not that it's actually difficult to use a DVD--I realize it's just the ultimate in laziness to be like "Ugh, I have to stand up?"--but streaming is usually easier. I almost never play my DVDs.

There is a lot of cuteness happening in this report, but the best part (IMO, of course) is "There are gonna be a lot of Mystery Boxes this season, so you better know what they are."

And I, too, was a little nervous that the contestants were going to have to kill the chickens. I'm very glad it didn't play out that way.

• Love 2

I just realized that Masterchef is the only franchise where if you have immunity, you get to skip the challenge entirely. This should be the case for every one of these shows, so you don't have judges holding a grudge for someone's lousy performance on a week where they had immunity. You also don't get team challenges where one person on the team has immunity.

I am not a crackpot.

• Love 7

I cannot defend my stance but to say I am VERY lazy.

Same.

The aversion to DVDs seems a little weird to me. I guess I'm curious how people watch their content. Some things can be streamed on a Roku, but other things need to watched on a computer (which can be hooked up to your TV) and I really don't think it takes much longer to find something on the internet and hook up your computer than it does to put it a DVD. Also, you can watch DVDs on your computer, so your friend is probably not correct when she says she doesn't have a DVD player.

Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO GO my Roku handles all of my personal streaming needs, but I also have Google Chromecast which will stream anything from your computer browser to the TV. It's perfect for vacations, most hotel TVs have a USB port on them *use it to charge your phone when you can't find an outlet!* and free WiFi so you can stream anything from your phone to the TV via the Chromecast which is teeny and easy to travel with.

I'm in the Ben Stone camp. Show was better because he wasn't unbeatable like Jack McCoy, damn it he won the Karla Homolka case! Stone could be right, prove his case, and still lose.

George Dzundza is the reason I started watching Law & Order in the first place. When he left, I started to lose interest. I've been a huge fan since Deer Hunter.

In a cast full of Oscar winners, it was the scene where he went into the kitchen to make the scrambled eggs and broke down crying that destroyed me. Three hours of tension and grief came heaving out of me to the point that my friends had to physically help me walk up the aisle when the movie was over.

L&O has never been as good as it was the first season.

A few years ago, someone did a deep statistical analysis of the outcomes of L&O:Mothership episodes: http://www.overthinkingit.com/2012/11/27/the-law-and-order-database-correlations/

Total-Outcomes-590x407.jpg

Eleven total "Defendent Killed" in the series, four of which were suicide. There were two in S1, one in S3, one in S4, two in S7, two in S9, and one in S11. None after that, though I guess that's because SVU had started and did it more often.

• Love 1

Thanks for sharing, ApathyMonger. I assume that most of the defendant deaths were outside the courtroom? I'm actually watching "Bitter Fruit" (S06 E01) right now, which should be included in the list. The victim's mother shoots the defendant in the courtroom (to cover her involvement in her daughter's kidnapping and death). 

Yeah, I guess it's only covering the final outcome, which in that case is a plea for the mother it looks like. Problem with Excel Spreadsheets and multiple values.

The full spreadsheet is here: http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Law-Order-Database.xlsx

• Love 1

I love that episode of Northern Exposure. I particularly love how they acknowledged the real city of Roslyn, WA, where the show was shot. They could have just hand-waved away the name of the Roslyn Cafe, but instead they wove the city's name right into the center of the show's history.

Edited by Monty
  • Love 1

Was I the only one who kept mentally filling in the "America loves a winner..." audio sting every time after the induction music played?

More importantly - a great rundown of episodes I've never seen of shows I really like! I'm excited to start tracking them down.

• Love 3

I just realized that Masterchef is the only franchise where if you have immunity, you get to skip the challenge entirely. This should be the case for every one of these shows, so you don't have judges holding a grudge for someone's lousy performance on a week where they had immunity. You also don't get team challenges where one person on the team has immunity.

I am not a crackpot.

I mostly agree with this; however, we would miss out on the few awesome situations in which someone takes a huge risk because they have immunity and turn out something amazing.

On the other hand, if a person gets immunity multiple times, their overall body of work is smaller. Less for the judges to remember as they're choosing a final winner, or even deciding between two people to go home. Even the shows that claim to only look at that week's product--there's no way the judges aren't slightly swayed by past performance. So you could end up with a person in the finals who rarely cooked/designed/raced/whatever in the major challenges, because they were phenomenal at the immunity challenges. Right? I don't watch a lot of competitive reality stuff anymore, so maybe there are rules in place that prevent this.

• Love 1

'Cicely' is my favourite episode of Northern Exposure. Like Dave on the podcast, I loved the way the Roslyn-Cicely relationship was treated. Hadn't seen many (any?) happy lesbian relationships on TV before that.

Here's my picks:

Mom: Wonder Woman from Superfriends; She's a pretty cool gal who would be equal parts encouraging and strict. No one would be allowed to eff with her family.

"Nuclear family" version/ Dad: Professor Quest from Jonny Quest; He'd appreciate Diana's background and enthusiastic about helping her where he could. Family is also important to him. While Jonny and Hadji travelled a bit, the Professor worried about them being safe.

Modern version/ Mom: Lady Jaye from G.I. Joe;   Jaye was an undercover operative, so she'd get Diana's life. Keeping the country safe means keeping family safe, so, again with the 'don't eff with my family' vibe.

Kid A: Jem/Jerrica Benton from Jem ; Jerrica would be a bright, hopeful spark of activity.  She'd sweep the other kids into whatever she was planning and be protective.

Kid B: Fat Albert from Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids; Albert was a very loving kid and Diana and her partner would ensure that Albert would continue to stay that kind of young man. Albert might find a place with Jerrica, depending on his instrument of choice. ( I am sure someone could get him better instruments to play.)

Kid C: Lisa Simpson from The Simpsons; Lisa would find so much acceptance and encouragement that she might be catatonic for a bit. Plus having siblings that love music as much as she does? Heaven for Lisa. Diana would respect her vegan/vegetarian choice, as would the others. Her intelligence would be applauded and encouraged. If she got too smug, she could be humbled in ways that would not be hurtful.

Pets: Scooby-Doo from Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? and Odie from Garfield and Friends; I love dogs. Alright- Scooby can be a good alarm system and Odie seems a sweet, huggable goof.

Couldn't decide, so a tie:

Oliver Queen-- Takes a break over on New Girl! He is "broke" currently, and ends up in L.A. He is taken in by Winston, who mistakes him for a homeless dude and it's Thanksgiving. Winston takes pity on him. He experiences the Douche Jar, Remy the Landlord, CeCe's grandmother, and Nick takes "Homeless Ollie" to Tran for wisdom or a  few circles in the pool, like in " Menzies"? Either is good. John Diggle eventually shows up, ready to bring him back to Starling City. CeCe is appreciative, because she has eyes.

Edited by Actionmage

Here are my picks!

Regina Mills (Once Upon A Time) : A Lhasa Apso--"Despite its lap-dog appearance, the Lhasa is a tough character. It is independent, stubborn and bold." ( as per Animal Planet's site.) [ http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/dogs-101]

Henry Parrish, a.k.a., the Horseman of War ( Sleepy Hollow): A pug--this one? Just because. How could you stay angry at a sweet pug's face? Especially as it excitedly licks all over you face and waggles his hindquarters in happiness?  "Who's a good horseman of war? You are!"

Emmett Carver & Ellie Miller (Gracepoint): Carver/ A greyhound or weimaraner, Miller/ an Afghan hound. This one could've seen Dog!Carver be a Scottie, but I opted for the looks on this case. Both are sight hunters, which fits detectives. Both are tall breeds.  For Afghan hound: "...Described by some as "catlike," it is independent yet sensitive and not overly demonstrative. It is reserved with strangers; some can be timid. It has a gay, clownish side."

For Weimaraner, "...The Weimaraner is bold and rambunctious, sometimes too much so for small children. It loves to run and hunt and can become frustrated and destructive if kept penned up. It can be stubborn or headstrong."

Male/Male: Cisco Ramon/Barry Allen (The Flash): Cisco is quite an improver when it comes to making gadgets, supersuits, weapons and nicknames. Barry, while as science-y, now has the ability to do so much more, with his abilities potentially enhanced by fellow science geek, Cisco.

Female/Female: Shaw/Root (Person of Interest): Shaw has a medical background, but found her truer calling in being a covert operative. She now works for Team Machine, for the general Good, and the safety of the Irrelevants in NYC. Root, a computer genius, has been outwitting/outplaying/outlasting all kinds of folks since she was a tween. Finch's Machine has tempered Root's more psychotic impulses and she is a team player. If one is after you, you are in trouble. If both are? Was nice knowin' ya!

Female/Male: I don't want to duplicate a given answer ( Wash/Zoe 4 evah!!), so I will say Felicity Smoak/ Oliver Queen (Arrow). She is the Bubbles to his Buttercup. She gets information faster than he does, but also has a better grasp on the social niceties than Oliver.  Oliver is a...results-oriented man. He will ask if Felicity has found someone for him to hit. He works out, sometimes, with a long-handled sledgehammer and a tractor tire! He's the one stringing up bad guys and she's the one that hacks government systems.