Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: Hoʻopio ʻia e ka noho aliʻi a ka ua (Made Prisoner by the Reign of the Rain)

• Start Topic

As a dangerous hurricane hits Oahu, Five-0 is tasked with protecting El Diablo (Raoul Trujillo), a captured serial killer who is being hunted by an assassin. Also, Tani’s civilian safety check during the storm turns deadly and Rachel and Charlie evacuate to Danny’s house, where the ex-spouses reminisce.

Original Airdate: February 15, 2019

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=51905

This is partly Danny's fault for not having a coat rack but I cringed at Rachel putting her drenched raincoat on Danny's couch. I live in a rain forest and if I get caught in a downpour and get soaked, I hang my jacket up in the shower. If Steve had dropped a wet jacket on the couch I guarantee Danny would have bitched at him for it.

Tani's situation was another example of 5-0 solving a crime entirely by accident. How did Junior find her at the end? All she told him was that she had to go because she was at "a house" with activity. I guess it's possible he either tracked her phone or just drove around until he spotted her car but he sure had some great timing there.

When the bad guy unscrewed that pipe to stuff the hose in there he should have got a face full of awful. They've established on the show that the drain under the chair is for the blood, piss and shit that they beat out of the many people who have sat there.

• Love 2

7/10 As really glad Steve and the FBI worked well together. Despite sometimes the latter is snot nosed punks at times. Nice to see Ted McGinley again.

Tani solving a crime by accident. Not knowing she was in with drug dealers. As hope the couple's daughter will be raised in a loving home

Danny better not get back together with Rachel. Are they shipping them back. Please no!

2 hours ago, Msample said:

Tani wears black leather/pleather pants. WTF?

They aren't.  I wondered about that too.  They are jeans that have spandex in them and a slight sheen to them.  They look like leather on tv.  I think they are similar to these https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/rag-bone-coated-high-rise-skinny-ankle-jeans-prod212880479?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_source=google_shopping&adpos=1o1&scid=scplpsku180531835&sc_intid=sku180531835&gclid=CjwKCAiAhp_jBRAxEiwAXbniXVpeN9r-eLuzZo0P_f23SWMtvQ4gVgp8lu4DYeiQ3vJXhCSia0qDXxoCQ2cQAvD_BwE

I think the more important question is why is Steve wearing the same outfit to work every other day?

Edited by Just my 2 cents
21 minutes ago, Just my 2 cents said:

They aren't.  I wondered about that too.  They are jeans that have spandex in them and a slight sheen to them.  They look like leather on tv.  I think they are similar to these https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/rag-bone-coated-high-rise-skinny-ankle-jeans-prod212880479?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_source=google_shopping&adpos=1o1&scid=scplpsku180531835&sc_intid=sku180531835&gclid=CjwKCAiAhp_jBRAxEiwAXbniXVpeN9r-eLuzZo0P_f23SWMtvQ4gVgp8lu4DYeiQ3vJXhCSia0qDXxoCQ2cQAvD_BwE

I think the more important question is why is Steve wearing the same outfit to work every other day?

Because Steve doesn't care about fashion. He spent his formative years in a tactical uniform as much as possible.

• Love 3

I'm good with Danny and Rachel getting back together.  I think Scott Caan and Claire Van der Boom have fantastic onscreen chemistry.  They are a believable couple with a realistically bumpy relationship.  The one glaring thing that I really don't think Danny could get over was her lying to him for years about Charlie being his child.  That's really unforgivable, but the writers seem to be glossing over that.

What is also unforgivable is that horrible wig on Rachel.  OMG.  When they sat up suddenly on the couch like guilty teenagers after Charlie surprised them awake, CVdB did a quick wig check to make sure it was still on straight.

Speaking of chemistry, when Steve asked for pancakes and cheekily asked for chocolate chips, I thought my screen would melt.  Seriously, show, that's the long term relationship you should work on.  It would be incredibly ground breaking!  And make many, many McDanno fans swoon....

• Love 2

My questions about this episode:

1)  If the HPD was so short-handed that Steve had to send two of his officers out to help the police department and have the others assist at headquarters, what was Danny doing calmly sitting at home waiting out the storm with his ex and son?  

2)  Instead of trying to take care of the seriously injured officer himself, why didn't Jerry say there was a medical emergency and ask if any of the hundreds of people in the building were doctors or nurses?

• Love 11
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

I hope they’re not getting Rachel & Danny back together, but it looks that way.

Since this is likely the last year of the show, that’s probably the end game.

Someone else commented on social media, I think it was, that Alex & Scott both signed new 2-year contracts before this season started filming. That would cover this season & next season (season 10)—I’ll try to find the comment & link it here. So this may not be the last season. And yes, I’m aware that might not mean much (that Alex & Scott signed to do this season & next) as shows can get canceled with time left on their cast members’ contracts.

55 minutes ago, buckboard said:

1)  If the HPD was so short-handed that Steve had to send two of his officers out to help the police department and have the others assist at headquarters, what was Danny doing calmly sitting at home waiting out the storm with his ex and son?  

2)  Instead of trying to take care of the seriously injured officer himself, why didn't Jerry say there was a medical emergency and ask if any of the hundreds of people in the building were doctors or nurses?

My head canon. Someone had to be left in reserve when the main force dropped from exhaustion. For Detective Williams  the day after he would be 5-0 if some other cinematic murder was discovered.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, buckboard said:

Regarding the bolded: My reasons are

Steve’s a softie when it comes to Danny.

He knows Danny has had a complicated relationship with Rachel—both in general & regarding Charlie specifically (telling him he was his father as soon as she found out she was pregnant, then lying that he was actually Stan’s baby after Danny didn’t meet Rachel & Gracie at the airport to fly back to NJ & be a family again, like he promised, after all hell broke loose with Five-0 &—among other things—Steve, after he was framed by Wo Fat for Governor Jameson’s murder & arrested for it & Danny decided that needed to be fixed before he could join Rachel & Gracie in NJ; then admitting, years later, that Charlie really was Danny's son after he became sick with an autoimmune disorder, needed a bone marrow transplant from a family member & none of his known/supposed closest family members [Rachel, Gracie, Stan] was enough of a match to donate).

Having had a severely messed up family life beginning in his teens, families/ʻohana not having screwed up relationships, being together, & families/ʻohana in general, are important to Steve.

Rachel & Charlie evacuating to Danny’s was probably last-minute & not planned (sort of like at the end when Charlie & Rachel were leaving & Charlie asked Danny if they could have another storm soon [so they could come stay at Danny’s again] & Danny said it wasn’t entirely up to him & you really couldn’t plan stuff like that). Considering that, & my other points above, do you really think Steve would say “Well, I’m sorry, Danny, but HPD’s shorthanded & we really need you here.”? And yes I know Rachel & Charlie would probably be perfectly fine at Danny’s by themselves, but Danny would probably worry about them if he wasn’t with them & Steve would know that. So in his mind, Danny’s better off at home with Rachel & Charlie.

What I didn’t get was, what was Gracie doing in LA (nice nod to Teilor having moved to LA there) unless she graduated at least 3 months early, is still out of school recovering from her car accident & brain surgery (& how is she allowed to fly to the mainland this soon after the accident?), or she’s there for a school-related competition, or something? I mean, I don’t necessarily think Danny & Rachel would let her miss school just for the hell of it. And I also get Teilor may not have been available for filming then.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword some things.

I thought I heard Danny say that Grace was on a field trip.  

It would seem an “all hands on deck” emergency like a major hurricane would mean just that - not all except one special snowflake.  And I don’t see why Danny would be any more worried than any other first responder that hauled his/her ass in to work and left family at home.  

What heppened to the cop who was stabbed?  I assume he survived, but did we get confirmation?

And most importantly, where was Eddie and is he O.K?

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ganesh said:
On 2/16/2019 at 2:47 AM, Passepartout said:

Nice to see Ted McGinley again.

Did he die or just get shot? It looked like he was wearing a vest.

I rewatched just to make sure I didn't miss them mentioning anything.  It looked like he was slumped in a corner and he had blood running from his right temple.  It looked like he may have taken a bullet wound to the head.  I'm going to assume he was dead.  I find it amazing that none of the FBI agents survived, but 5-0 is doing great.

Edited by Just my 2 cents
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Raja said:

My head canon. Someone had to be left in reserve when the main force dropped from exhaustion. For Detective Williams  the day after he would be 5-0 if some other cinematic murder was discovered.

I like this thought!  You would think by now since Scott has been missing 5 episodes per season, they would find a better way to shoot and edit the episodes that he's only available to film during his shorter weeks on set.  It seems like this episodes part might have been filmed the week they filmed episode 9.12 and edited into this episode, but who knows?

34 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

The real reason Tani wears the waxed jeans and Steve wears the same fugly pants is because the show's wardrobe department sucks.  Five-0 are the worst dressed people on TV.

I guess after 9 seasons something in the budget has to give and wardrobe would be one of the easiest things to cut.  I don't know if it's true, but years ago when Nash Bridges was on my aunt told me that a lot of times Don Johnson would wear the same jacket they just filtered in another color.  She subscribed to tv guide back then so I don't know if she read that from there or was just speculating.  I suppose with digital editing that could be done here.  Of course, given that the CGI is not the best on this show I suppose wardrobe would be the least important thing to worry about.

9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

One thing I always liked about this show was that the wardrobe for its female characters was reasonable and job-appropriate.

Kono had the same pants and got just as much wear out of them as Tani. Call it a tribute to Buffy (where various Slayers did all kinds of fighting in real leather pants) and I'm okay with it. However, speaking of job-appropriate that reminds me there was an episode where Kono had to go undercover and Steve had a bet with one of the other guys (I want to say it was with Grover) about whether or not she'd wear a tiny bikini that he was apparently holding on to for her. 5-0's means and immunity apparently applies to the HR department.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2019 at 12:47 AM, Passepartout said:

Nice to see Ted McGinley again.

OMG...Thank you.  That was bugging me.  I knew I knew the FBI guy, but I just couldn't place him.  

I hope he didn't die.  I liked having a competent FBI guy who gets along with 5-0 on this show.  I kind of cracked up that he knew exactly how to handle Cmdr. McGarrett who was objecting to housing a dangerous criminal in the same facility as all the civilian storm refugees:  flatter the rendition room.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, ganesh said:

It's not like the show couldn't bring him back though. 

That’s right. Ingo Rademacher played the father of a private school student who was kidnapped along with a bus load of his classmates, his teacher, the bus driver & maybe a school/classroom aide on the way to a field trip, in retaliation for Five-0 seizing a stash of cocaine (I think it was) that was being stored at a warehouse Rademacher’s character owned during season 2. 

Then he was cast in S6, or maybe S5, as the brother (who I think was an SFPD cop) of an HPD Internal Affairs investigator who was killed by Chin’s criminal brother-in-law, Gabriel Wainwright, while he was investigating Chin for being a dirty cop & Ingo’s new character wanted to bring Chin & Five-0 down for his brother’s death so he sent an SFPD cop to infiltrate the team & find anything they do that could get them shut down (apparently not knowing the late Governor Jameson gave them full immunity & means when she created the team), under the pretext of learning & observing their methods because she was part of a similar task force that just started with SFPD (& which didn’t actually exist at the time). Of course the only thing that happened there was the mole couldn’t find anything to use against the team, she & Chin fell in love, & they eventually moved to San Francisco with Chin’s niece Sara (the daughter of his now-deceased brother-in-law, Gabriel Wainwright), whom he was now the legal guardian of, where they started a real SFPD task force similar to Five-0.

Another example of an actor playing 2 different characters on the same show would be when Harry Morgan did a guest spot on an early (McLean Stevenson era) episode of M*A*S*H as an Army General who was visiting the 4077th for an inspection of the troops & he was totally looney tunes—or at least he exhibited that kind of behavior—during his inspection; then he was cast, after McLean Stevenson decided to leave the show about 3 seasons in (I think), as Colonel Sherman Potter, the new Commanding Officer of the unit.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:50 PM, Mittengirl said:

I thought I heard Danny say that Grace was on a field trip.

Hawaii to LA is [...] of a field trip!!!

On 2/17/2019 at 9:51 AM, Just my 2 cents said:

I find it amazing that none of the FBI agents survived, but 5-0 is doing great.

I thought it was stupid to kill them, but no one but 5-0 is safe once the bullets start flying!

On February 19, 2019 at 12:06 PM, BW Manilowe said:

That’s right. Ingo Rademacher played the father of a private school student who was kidnapped along with a bus load of his classmates,

I love Ingo, and I never thought the show did right by him. Lots of potential there, and not just because of those beautiful blue eyes! I was always waiting for him to get a bigger role and it never happened.

Fun episode. I did wish that Tani's situation had simply been a controlling, abusive husband not letting his family evacuate because it would break his control of them. Something serious, but small. Nooooo... It has to be a drug house with crazies busting in in the middle of a hurricane! Only on 5-0.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, buckboard said:

You would think that an emergency evac location might have some paramedics just sitting there waiting around in case anyone injured showed up. Then again I would also assume that a SWAT Captai would have some basic first aid training. Also they never said what happned to that guy with Lou and Jerry righ

On 2/21/2019 at 4:55 AM, SweetTooth said:

I cannot believe that literally all of the F.B.I. agents are lying there, dead, and nobody gives them a second glance. Like, they're taking gear off dead bodies without any problem whatsoever. Steve is all "PANCAKES" and doesn't even tell Danny about what happened. Ah, well.

Sometimes you just have to look at this show as a comedy. I mean at the 5-0HQ a bunch of bad guys infiltrated Steve's secure base and a bunch of FBI guys were killed. And outside of that 2 of Steve's employees were part of a hostage situation and officer involved shooting. And even with all that shit that happned overnight, Steve is still able to leave the office in time to be at Danny's house for breakfast (rather than days worth of questioning, paperwork and inquiries).

• Love 1