Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Fear Finds a Way

Bort
  • Start Topic

When a nasty flu season turns out to be masking a terribly infectious disease, Chastain must race to quarantine and diagnose infected patients. Mina finds herself testing Quovadis medical devices in an effort to defend Dr. Austin who, feeling responsible for the death of a patient, is serving penance by staying away from the OR. Conrad is prepared to take the next step with Nic, but finds that she may not be as ready.

Airdate: Monday, January 28, 2019

Watching this while sick with the flu is not good... I feel worse than ever. 

That said, I liked that Mina tested the heart valves and found them defective. And that she ran straight to Dr. Austin. 

I wonder how Bell will get out of the mess he's in, but man,  I can't wait for Quovadis to go down along with the little troll running the company. 

Good episode, if I felt better I would write more but my bed is calling me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

When a nasty flu season turns out to be masking a terribly infectious disease, Chastain must race to quarantine and diagnose infected patients

So where was the CDC and why weren't they notified?

Bell is really in deep doodoo.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I skip Dr 50 Shades of Sainthood's scenes. I tried not to in the hospital but the moment Feldman compared him to Moses and it didn't sound like lampshading or even entirely ironic from the writers' part, I was done. I hence missed a hefty part of the main case/episode, just caught that it was the plague or something.

But Feldman was back! Phew. And I have to admit that he and gf holding pinkies in the elevator was extremely cute -even with the contagion factor.

It was nice to see the prison guard again and even better that she didn't die. I wish she were hired for security at Chastain, I like the character and the actress. Annoying PA saved Bell from infection, LOL.

It's two weeks in a row that I actually like The Raptor as a person, even though he isn't perfect or maybe precisely because he isn't perfect (take notes, Dr Sainthood). Mina was even more awesomely awesome than usual. They make a great team (but I still don't want them as a couple). The scene at the restaurant was a good pay-off.

Hopefully, Bell will get his devious genius at work to take down Quo Vadis now that his survival instinct is triggered.

Did the kid get the same heart valve as Bradley? Because when they said "younger and more active", I thought of the baseball match. Did they call back every patient who got that valve, anyway? Seemed like the first priority to me.

Conrad/Nic, it was weird for me. I should have been on Nic's side but I found myself Team Conrad, if there are sides and teams, because he was sensible, calm and honest no matter how blunt he got, whereas she was evasive, defensive and came off as pretty immature, picking a fight in order to avoid discussion. Moreover, because they threw Dr Sainthood in the mix, I'm not entirely sure that her stalling doesn't partly come from some attraction to him. Finally, her stance seems to be born from uncertainty, fear and past trauma. Those are excellent reasons not to live together right now and not have children, yet they are also choices by default so choices Nic might regret later; unlike a Cristina Yang who knew no children was the best for her. I can root for her no matter her decision, but it has to be her decision and not her fears speaking.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Did the kid get the same heart valve as Bradley? Because when they said "younger and more active", I thought of the baseball match. Did they call back every patient who got that valve, anyway? Seemed like the first priority to me.

The kid has something for seizures in his brain. But it's still troubling because it shows either Quo Vadis does shoddy testing, fakes test results or tests on quality products only to swap them out for cheaper "Made in China" devices. And that means the device in that kid is still suspect.

I don't think they've done anything about the valves yet. Mina did a test with one lab tech. In theory, they should be calling someone higher up but considering Julian tried that, I don't have much hope. For once, I think Bell might actually be an ally and save the day here. He has the press and political connections to make waves but you know he'll only act once he's untangled himself from it.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, preeya said:

So where was the CDC and why weren't they notified?

If the Walking Dead is to be believed, they're just down the street.... but they have their own problems. :)

8 hours ago, langford peel said:

I hope when Conrad breaks up with the woman that doesn’t want to commit he goes after the hot Mom with the sick kid. It was obvious he was talking about raising kids not chickens and she freaked out.

I'm going to date myself but I think they are going for the same on again off again vibe that Doug and Carol had on the show ER - everytime they get close, something comes between them. It's not working for me because Nic and Conrad are just too friendly and not sexy enough. 

53 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't think they've done anything about the valves yet. Mina did a test with one lab tech. In theory, they should be calling someone higher up but considering Julian tried that, I don't have much hope.

I think the writers are banking on the audience thinking traditionally. Point - why not post a video of the seven valves being tested on YouTube? Hell, why not call a camera crew?

I will say, I liked Dr. Austin's serious look at himself over his arrogance. I think it's needed for the character to not be a stereotype.

I also liked Bell's dawning realization that he had gotten into bed with a monster. Again. That said, QuoVadis appears to be leaving bodies everywhere it goes and frankly that should be attracting more attention than it is.

• Love 7

Can I just say that I adore Mina and The Raptor as a team? I would totally watch the two of them on a Quincy-type spin-off show, solving medical mysteries and confronting wayward doctor perps with grace and awesome coats. In fact, I didn't know how much I wanted that until I wrote it out just now. Pardon me while I get some fanfic going.

Always happy to see Dot-Marie Jones. I'm glad she survived. 

1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I'm going to date myself but I think they are going for the same on again off again vibe that Doug and Carol had on the show ER - everytime they get close, something comes between them.

Oh lord, I hope not. You're probably right, but oy. If they do this whole, convoluted thing where they both get involved with other people, but their twu wuv is just so deep and passionate and right that they still can't stay away from each other, and then we have to be subjected to dramatic speeches about how sorry they are that they can't wholly give themselves to their respective significant others, blahblahblah, my eyes are going to roll right out of the back of my head and down the street as I sigh forever. Do not do this, writers. Not every doctor couple is Doug and Carol and THEY wore it thin. Nic and Conrad are fine as a couple, but I'm also totally okay with one or both of them being mature enough to realize that they're out of step and it might be time to move on. There's obvious fear over past hurts between them (both them and their lost child, I'd wager), and I think that Conrad is right that, at least to a small extent, he's not as much of a project as he used to be. Nic is very much a fixer. 

2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I also liked Bell's dawning realization that he had gotten into bed with a monster. Again.

At this point, Bell should just understand that every time he has an inclination to do something or partner with someone, he needs to just go ahead and do the exact opposite. Hopefully he won't find himself in a ditch somewhere. The man's an interpersonal idiot and it's real fun to watch sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I didn't really get the sudden drama from Nic and Conrad. It was obvious they were setting up a love triangle, but I couldn't help feeling like Conrad was right about what he said to Nic. And I didn't really understand where all her hesitation was coming from, unless it is just that she's into the new clinic doctor.

It just felt really weird to dislike Nic, since I'm normally a fan of hers.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't really get the sudden drama from Nic and Conrad. It was obvious they were setting up a love triangle, but I couldn't help feeling like Conrad was right about what he said to Nic. And I didn't really understand where all her hesitation was coming from, unless it is just that she's into the new clinic doctor.

It just felt really weird to dislike Nic, since I'm normally a fan of hers.

I think it's a two parter - Nic really does need a person to "fix," and she obviously never gives up on them, but also she needs a "hero."  The new Doctor is filling those shoes of the hero - but what of the project??  That'll be interesting to see play out.  And, which is ridiculous since Conrad is brilliant and BAE. 

I'm a fan on Nic on the one hand because she is so low-keyed.  Like just taking off for the night, no worries as to what repercussions might be, or rushing into isolation.  Nothing but a raised eyebrow about Conrad calling the kid's mother - I love it!

But I also think Conrad's right - they are on separate pages, and maybe separate paths.  Definitely in regards to raising anything.  Her I don't want kids was very sudden - like a knee jerk reaction to her sister and maybe her miscarriage. Plus it's the opposite of needing a person to fix/take care of.  She needs to self reflect, that's obvious. Or the writer's need to learn how logic and psychology works. I never watched old medical drama but I can easily see them breaking up and not being able to break up. (ala Jude) Conrad, I think, also needs someone he can idolize and that kid's mom ain't going to be it.  Plus the spectre of Daddy Dearest will propel...something if I'm guessing correctly.

Definitely think Julian's going to show back up now, (maybe dead though) and Bell will probably be the instrument of destruction for Quo Vadis but Mina is all kinds of beautiful mind and coat :)  I'm surprised Devon dropped it after one episode actually. That seems weird.  I love that kid/assistant!! Well done, show!

I hope the writer's get their groove or plot planning abilities back!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Jlina said:

PS - what was the connection between the security guard and the girl hiker??

I dimly recall Conrad, Nic and maybe Dr. Perfect discussing how the young guy was sick first and infected the security guard, who probably just had the flu but was infected in the ER. So it went from the hot girl the young guy loved, to the young guy, and then to the security guard. But honestly, it didn't make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Jlina said:

But I also think Conrad's right - they are on separate pages, and maybe separate paths. 

What I did like was that he vocalized it, that this may never work. It would defietely be a change if a show acknowledged that not everyone has a perfect love story. It's actually ok that Conrad and Nic aren't meant to be... and maybe it's best they realize that before they are married with kids. Considering Nic did have a miscarriage, she either wanted kids at some point or that miscarriage hit it home to her that she didn't want kids at all.

10 hours ago, Risky Librarian said:

If they do this whole, convoluted thing where they both get involved with other people, but their twu wuv is just so deep and passionate and right that they still can't stay away from each other, and then we have to be subjected to dramatic speeches about how sorry they are that they can't wholly give themselves to their respective significant others, blahblahblah, my eyes are going to roll right out of the back of my head and down the street as I sigh forever. Do not do this, writers. Not every doctor couple is Doug and Carol and THEY wore it thin.

Agreed on Doug and Carol, and I wish shows would accept that "will they won't they get together" storylines always end one way. And while I don't find anything objectionable about the acting on this show, neither of these two are on the level of George Clooney and Juliana Margulies. Part of why the endless back and forth worked on ER was because they were really strong actors with good costars. Nic and Conrad don't have those advantages.

On an aside, I notice Mina's heart defect man has disappeared. I missed last week's episode, did anything happen or is this just a storyline dropped for now but sure to pop back up?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I dimly recall Conrad, Nic and maybe Dr. Perfect discussing how the young guy was sick first and infected the security guard, who probably just had the flu but was infected in the ER. So it went from the hot girl the young guy loved, to the young guy, and then to the security guard. But honestly, it didn't make a lot of sense.

What I did like was that he vocalized it, that this may never work. It would defietely be a change if a show acknowledged that not everyone has a perfect love story. It's actually ok that Conrad and Nic aren't meant to be... and maybe it's best they realize that before they are married with kids. Considering Nic did have a miscarriage, she either wanted kids at some point or that miscarriage hit it home to her that she didn't want kids at all.

Agreed on Doug and Carol, and I wish shows would accept that "will they won't they get together" storylines always end one way. And while I don't find anything objectionable about the acting on this show, neither of these two are on the level of George Clooney and Juliana Margulies. Part of why the endless back and forth worked on ER was because they were really strong actors with good costars. Nic and Conrad don't have those advantages.

On an aside, I notice Mina's heart defect man has disappeared. I missed last week's episode, did anything happen or is this just a storyline dropped for now but sure to pop back up?

Thanks :)  I'm betting dropped for now but sure to be picked back up. But she and Austin kind of smoldered together lol  Agree on it'd be amazing if they just parted ways. But they won't. Sigh

I thought for sure that Devin/Devon was going to get sick.

I really enjoy Bell as a character (Bruce Greenwood is awesome) and I do wish that he could get a win. His assistant is pretty amusing in small doses.

House was gorgeous. Totally like homes featured on HGTV.  Maybe have a discussion about moving in together and buying a house together before going to see it though. You know, like mature and emotionally intelligent adults?

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

House was gorgeous. Totally like homes featured on HGTV.  Maybe have a discussion about moving in together and buying a house together before going to see it though. You know, like mature and emotionally intelligent adults?

I think it was a rental.  Though if it was, a house like that would surely come with a serious long-term lease?  And Mina is the only mature and emotionally intelligent enough adult on this show to be able to handle that and the financial repercussions if half the rent/bill payer drops out because they don't want chicks and move to the latest Biafra.

Edited by Brookside
14 hours ago, Jlina said:

I think it's a two parter - Nic really does need a person to "fix," and she obviously never gives up on them, but also she needs a "hero."  The new Doctor is filling those shoes of the hero - but what of the project??  That'll be interesting to see play out.  And, which is ridiculous since Conrad is brilliant and BAE. 

I'm a fan on Nic on the one hand because she is so low-keyed.  Like just taking off for the night, no worries as to what repercussions might be, or rushing into isolation.  Nothing but a raised eyebrow about Conrad calling the kid's mother - I love it!

But I also think Conrad's right - they are on separate pages, and maybe separate paths.  Definitely in regards to raising anything.  Her I don't want kids was very sudden - like a knee jerk reaction to her sister and maybe her miscarriage. Plus it's the opposite of needing a person to fix/take care of.  She needs to self reflect, that's obvious. Or the writer's need to learn how logic and psychology works. I never watched old medical drama but I can easily see them breaking up and not being able to break up. (ala Jude) Conrad, I think, also needs someone he can idolize and that kid's mom ain't going to be it.  Plus the spectre of Daddy Dearest will propel...something if I'm guessing correctly.

Definitely think Julian's going to show back up now, (maybe dead though) and Bell will probably be the instrument of destruction for Quo Vadis but Mina is all kinds of beautiful mind and coat :)  I'm surprised Devon dropped it after one episode actually. That seems weird.  I love that kid/assistant!! Well done, show!

I hope the writer's get their groove or plot planning abilities back!

I don't know that I'm on a particular team one way or the other.  But I do know how I'd feel if someone just presented me with the house and said "let's move in here together and raise chickens.  And by chickens, I mean...."  I would have reacted the same way Nic did.  Conrad made the decision to move in together, found them a location, and presented the idea to her.  Moving in together is a big step in a relationship and should be discussed as part of a large conversation of "where are we going with this."

I do think that Conrad is right that Nic needs someone or something to fix.  She's definitely an enabler, which I think she brought up in talking to the other doctor (I still don't know his name).  But I can see that if she's trying to break that cycle, she might need her own space to deal with it.  But Conrad is also wrong to push the issue with moving in and having kids.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, kirkola said:

which I think she brought up in talking to the other doctor (I still don't know his name)

I refer to him as Lyle Menendez.  (Menendez was played by Miles Gaston Villanueva)MilesG.jpg?impolicy=nbc_com&imwidth=480&

• Love 1

Just a few comments for this episode. 

We all saw it coming but I don't like the slow descent/deterioration/doubt of Connic's relationship.  What did I miss with this sudden and/or gradual change with them--pre-Alex?   Why is Nic pulling back when I thought they had finally resolved their differences/had emerged stronger as a couple (we know she had a miscarriage earlier in their relationship; she having doubts again?)   Don't want Conrad and the little boy’s mom to gt together; just no.  Too obvious--just like Nick and Alex.  Guess I'll have to ride out the drama.

Loved the tenacious Mena - we knew should world prove Dr. Austin wasn't responsible and especially loved how beautifully done Raptor called out Abe at dinner (with Mena there, naturally).   I’ve always loved these two together!

The epidemic - did it really have to be the bulk of episode; it wasn't that interesting.

Finally, Dr. Bell - what is he NOW suddenly interested in Page's background?  He knew the man was a snake from the beginning (just as Bell is) so what this attack of conscience?   And yeah, we've already guessed the little kid will have a defective valve.

Appears Julian will make a reappearance for next week's episode - Devin to the rescue, LOL!!

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, cathmed said:

Finally, Dr. Bell - what is he NOW suddenly interested in Page's background?  He knew the man was a snake from the beginning (just as Bell is) so what this attack of conscience?

I don't think it's an attack of conscience.  It's fear of liability.  He and the hospital can be sued for contracting with a fraudulent company making defective devices.

• Love 2

I’m glad they didn’t kill off Michael Rady’s lovesick character. Enjoyed seeing him.

Bell should have found out about Gordon’s shadiness before he took the money. I’m sure he will get out of this unharmed but that was dumb of him.

Nik is having second thoughts on their relationship? Since when? Complete 180 from their relationship prior to hot Mom and doctor. 

• Like 1

Ok, so they showed(very graphically, I might add) how germs were spread at the beginning of the show, leading us to think that they would show many more people getting sick (Devon, Feldman, Jennifer,etc.), but none of them did-the show just kind of dropped that particular aspect, leaving me to wonder what the point was of showing the graphic in the first place.

I love Mina and Austin.

Will Bell ever get his comeuppance?

Of course you can't have your main couple  just be happy <eyeroll>.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, Brookside said:

I think it was a rental.  Though if it was, a house like that would surely come with a serious long-term lease?  And Mina is the only mature and emotionally intelligent enough adult on this show to be able to handle that and the financial repercussions if half the rent/bill payer drops out because they don't want chickens and move to the latest iteration of Biafra.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:26 PM, marykat71702 said:

Ok, so they showed(very graphically, I might add) how germs were spread at the beginning of the show, leading us to think that they would show many more people getting sick (Devon, Feldman, Jennifer,etc.), but none of them did-the show just kind of dropped that particular aspect, leaving me to wonder what the point was of showing the graphic in the first place.

Finally watching this series post-Covid (or at least post the worst Covid period--it's going around my area again in early 2024, though not as seriously as in 2020-21), and I'm shocked that the doctors and nurses don't routinely wear masks in the ER and when dealing with potentially infectious patients. I'm not even talking about the plague or other lethal diseases--they should be protecting themselves and other patients (not to mention the families of doctors, nurses, and other patients) against common sicknesses like colds, flu, strep throat, stomach flu, etc.. Especially when they can see and hear patients in a crowded ER coughing, sneezing, and vomiting. But I guess medical personnel had less concern about protecting themselves pre-Covid, or else the show doesn't want to cover up the actors' faces.