Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Nakazat

ohjoy

I'm trying to justify using black and white film - real film - for blackmail pictures.  Not coming up with a reason.  That said, Amy’s not bad in con artist mode.  Quick morph from waitress to school girl outside the restaurant.

Good move by Madani getting everything from the diner.  The poor lab tech was so excited to be helping and just got ignored.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I'm trying to justify using black and white film - real film - for blackmail pictures.  Not coming up with a reason.  That said, Amy’s not bad in con artist mode.  Quick morph from waitress to school girl outside the restaurant.

Good move by Madani getting everything from the diner.  The poor lab tech was so excited to be helping and just got ignored.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing since they showed us the film canisters. Why? The film itself requires whatever spy cam they used to be much larger and more noticeable than a digital one. Makes zero sense.

The outfit quick change was pretty smooth, but

A.not single one of those school girls bats an eye at Amy doing that in their midst.

B.Amy managed to find a reversible, Velcro, quick-change skirt that perfectly matches the school uniform AND the waitress uniform on very short notice.

• Love 2

Why do they bother having Frank hold a gun on bad guys and make us think he would kill them in cold blood? He doesn’t do that and it is a waste of our time. Not the creepy photo guy, and not the Russian billionaire. 

Man this is slooooooooooooooooow.

Edited by Ottis

I'm very surprised that Amy actually knows how to develop film. Not exactly a common skill set these days, especially for anyone under 30 (and that's probably being generous). 

So the big underlying story behind Amy's involvement in Frank's life is a Russian plot to manipulate a possible presidential candidate? That is pretty thin- not to mention just over the top social commentary of a sort that doesn't really fit into a Punisher style storyline. Talk about dropping anvils.

That last scene of Russo and Dr. Dumont was cringe-worthy. Now we can add sexual assault to Russo's list of crimes (I just hope they don't try and backpedal things to make it look like there was some kind of unspoken consent there.)

• Love 2

"Call me old-fashioned, but I don't work with Russians."

LOL.

While I still enjoy Bernthal's scenes, the show is becoming top-heavy with cliches.   Christian fundamentalist power brokers, House of Cards ... The bad guy flagellating himself -- wasn't that in the Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons?   The damaged psychiatrist falling for the evil genius, hello Harley Quinn.  The young-but-wise sidekick lecturing the grim hero on confronting his pain ... 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:55 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

I'm very surprised that Amy actually knows how to develop film. Not exactly a common skill set these days, especially for anyone under 30 (and that's probably being generous). 

Amy has too many skills for the airhead they've portrayed her as.

• Love 2
On 1/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, Ottis said:

Why do they bother having Frank hold a gun on bad guys and make us think he would kill them in cold blood? He doesn’t do that and it is a waste of our time. Not the creepy photo guy, and not the Russian billionaire. 

The whole thing with the mobbed up billionaire didn't make much sense to me. Would Frank really have murdered him if he hadn't mentioned his daughter. Because as far as I can tell that guy has no beef with Frank, or even Amy (his people hired her but aren't the ones trying to kill her). And kidnapping and murdering random criminals who have not some how crossed him doesn't seem to fit in with Frank's code. Not to mention from a strategic standpoint it seems like a bad idea as well.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, moonshine71 said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing since they showed us the film canisters. Why? The film itself requires whatever spy cam they used to be much larger and more noticeable than a digital one. Makes zero sense.

B.Amy managed to find a reversible, Velcro, quick-change skirt that perfectly matches the school uniform AND the waitress uniform on very short notice.

The camera thing is problematic but it has story problems either way. If they were digital it eliminates pretty much all the actions from the first few episodes because if they were 1) Amy would know what the pictures were of and 2) she could easily distribute them before the bad guys got to her in Michigan. So you are kind of stuck either way.

The skirt thing didn't really bug me. They staked out the school earlier in the episode.  I can imagine that getting a school skirt wouldn't be that hard. Doing some basic mods to put black material on the inside and then attach some velcro strips wouldn't be difgicult. As a military guy I wouldn't be surprised to find out Frank knows how to sew (like sewing rank insignia and badges onto uniforms). He wouldn't need to do any fancy stitching just good enough so that the black side holds in place for a minute or two without close inspection.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2019 at 10:42 PM, MisterGlass said:

I'm trying to justify using black and white film - real film - for blackmail pictures.  Not coming up with a reason.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, moonshine71 said:

Well, I don't know that much about photos - film, digital, or otherwise - but I would imagine it's a lot more difficult to alter actual film photos than it is digital ones, especially nowadays when so many people make and edit their own youtube videos and such.  If I was paying serious money for blackmail photos I certainly wouldn't want something that could easily be altered.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The skirt thing didn't really bug me. They staked out the school earlier in the episode.  I can imagine that getting a school skirt wouldn't be that hard. Doing some basic mods to put black material on the inside and then attach some velcro strips wouldn't be difficult. As a military guy I wouldn't be surprised to find out Frank knows how to sew (like sewing rank insignia and badges onto uniforms). He wouldn't need to do any fancy stitching just good enough so that the black side holds in place for a minute or two without close inspection.

Agreed.

• Love 1

You know, I was going to get all huffy about Twit knowing how to develop photos but then I just figured she pulled up a YouTube video. That's what we do around here anytime we don't know how to do something.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, festivus said:

You know, I was going to get all huffy about Twit knowing how to develop photos but then I just figured she pulled up a YouTube video. That's what we do around here anytime we don't know how to do something.

Ha ha, true! That's how hubby fixes 99% of the stuff around here. Cars, appliances, you name it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, festivus said:

Accurate videos do exist.

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Well, I don't know that much about photos - film, digital, or otherwise - but I would imagine it's a lot more difficult to alter actual film photos than it is digital ones

It is more difficult, especially for someone inexperienced.  I suppose if you wanted to limit someone's ability to say that a photo was fabricated, film would help.

That said, people fall for some amazingly bad photoshop.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:22 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole thing with the mobbed up billionaire didn't make much sense to me. Would Frank really have murdered him if he hadn't mentioned his daughter. Because as far as I can tell that guy has no beef with Frank, or even Amy (his people hired her but aren't the ones trying to kill her). And kidnapping and murdering random criminals who have not some how crossed him doesn't seem to fit in with Frank's code. Not to mention from a strategic standpoint it seems like a bad idea as well.

I think that's why he let him go. As well as the fact that he had a daughter helped. He ended up getting killed by the priest guy anyway I think?

I'm confused, so the religious cult is trying to get the kid in power? I feel like if someone in their "church" was gay, they would disown them immediately. And who was he exactly?

On 1/28/2019 at 7:06 PM, Taryn74 said:

Ha ha, true! That's how hubby fixes 99% of the stuff around here. Cars, appliances, you name it.

Dad does the same thing. I don't think of things like that, and feel so dumb when someone suggests it. 

I missed something - I totally missed any plot on them trying to get a young politician into power. I'm just not interested in the villains. This whole season feels off, compared to the first one. I'm still pissed that girl stole Madani's credit card, even if they needed a few things. 

• Love 1

Oh, and I think Curtis is prettier than Russo, even before he had the scars. 

I was expecting something to happen between Russo and his doctor, but I'm still bugged that they went there. A knife in the hand is NOT an invitation for a kiss (or more). So freaky. 

Is everything blue in her apartment and wardrobe? 

11 hours ago, blueray said:

I think that's why he let him go. As well as the fact that he had a daughter helped. He ended up getting killed by the priest guy anyway I think?

Maybe, but the way Berenthal played it, it seemed to me that if he hadn't mentioned his daughter  (and if Amy hadn't been asking about Frank's daughter) then Frank probabl would have executed him. Which totally doesn't seem like Frank to just kill random criminals.

On 2019-01-28 at 3:29 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The camera thing is problematic but it has story problems either way. If they were digital it eliminates pretty much all the actions from the first few episodes because if they were 1) Amy would know what the pictures were of and 2) she could easily distribute them before the bad guys got to her in Michigan. So you are kind of stuck either way.

The skirt thing didn't really bug me. They staked out the school earlier in the episode.  I can imagine that getting a school skirt wouldn't be that hard. Doing some basic mods to put black material on the inside and then attach some velcro strips wouldn't be difgicult. As a military guy I wouldn't be surprised to find out Frank knows how to sew (like sewing rank insignia and badges onto uniforms). He wouldn't need to do any fancy stitching just good enough so that the black side holds in place for a minute or two without close inspection.

Didn't she know what the pictures were of earlier anyway? I thought she said "some guys kissing" in an earlier ep but now I'm not sure...

Unrelated, I love how you associated the sewing with Frank and not Amy, because of his military time. I mean, it's just as unlikely that she knows how to sew as it is that she knows how to develop film!

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, mledawn said:

Didn't she know what the pictures were of earlier anyway? I thought she said "some guys kissing" in an earlier ep but now I'm not sure...

She did.  She had no idea who they were of, though, or that either of the guys were politically significant.

1 hour ago, mledawn said:

Unrelated, I love how you associated the sewing with Frank and not Amy, because of his military time. I mean, it's just as unlikely that she knows how to sew as it is that she knows how to develop film!

Good to know about the pictures. But I still think that digital pictures would change the story too much so that the first few episodes wouldn't work.

As for the sewing thing my old neighbor was former Canadian Airforce. Before he moved he fixed my daughter's snow suit by sewing one of the seams. When we asked him he said he learned to sew because he had to sew stuff onto his uniform. He told us the stitch on my daughter's snow suit wouldn't look pretty but it would do the job.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mledawn said:

8 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Good to know about the pictures. But I still think that digital pictures would change the story too much so that the first few episodes wouldn't work.

As for the sewing thing my old neighbor was former Canadian Airforce. Before he moved he fixed my daughter's snow suit by sewing one of the seams. When we asked him he said he learned to sew because he had to sew stuff onto his uniform. He told us the stitch on my daughter's snow suit wouldn't look pretty but it would do the job.

My dad learned to sew in the air force. :) He basically took care of himself from about the age of twelve, on (paper route to pay for school clothes and other things that he needed), and the air force taught him more life skills. 

Wait, so the pictures that they're trying to kill Frank and Amy is of some potential political candidate kissing another guy, and the creepy religious folks are worried this would effect his chances?  And the reason the Russians were involved because they wanted to use it to bribe him?  All of this seems to have come completely out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, Russo and his military buddies are preparing to form a crew to perform heists and stuff.  Oh, and Russo is also creepily assaulting and making out with Durmont.

I do like that Curtis is the one who can make both Frank and Madani quit squabbling for a minute and actually listen to reason.  These guys would be hopeless without him. 

On 1/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, millennium said:

"Call me old-fashioned, but I don't work with Russians."

LOL.

While I still enjoy Bernthal's scenes, the show is becoming top-heavy with cliches.   Christian fundamentalist power brokers, House of Cards ... The bad guy flagellating himself -- wasn't that in the Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons?   The damaged psychiatrist falling for the evil genius, hello Harley Quinn.  The young-but-wise sidekick lecturing the grim hero on confronting his pain ... 

Amy has too many skills for the airhead they've portrayed her as.

I was thinking of the Bishop in  The Pillars of the Earth miniseries.

The entire justification seems like a time wrap from an old comic. Film and a gay couple intermixed with female infantry soldiers/mercenaries.