Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Kitchens: The Recipes Thread

Babalu
  • Start Topic

Brought over from The Stew Room thread. Bella - please feel free to change the title and/or move this to the Everything Else topic if you'd like. (Also, I am severely format-challenged and can't seem to make text bold or italicized from my iPad despite repeated googling and experimentation. If you have any hints, please share them!)

KHEER (Indian Pudding)

1/2 lb butter

2 cardamom seeds

2 sticks cinnamon

1/2 lb vermicelli

4-5 cups milk

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 t saffron (optional)

1/2 cup blanched almonds

1/4 cup pistachios

1/2 cup white/golden raisins

Melt butter in heavy pot and add the inside of the cardamom seeds and the cinnamon. Add the uncooked vermicelli and stir it around until it's thoroughly coated - at least 5 minutes. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan to avoid sticking or scorching. The vermicelli will melt slowly. Stir at least 1/2-hour until the mixture is thick and almost lump-free. Remove from heat and add sugar, nuts, and raisins.

If using saffron, pour a little boiling water over saffron and stir into pudding.

Cover and cool.

I thought this recipe had cloves, but if guess it doesn't. You could add a bit if you want.

Also, I am severely format-challenged and can't seem to make text bold or italicized from my iPad despite repeated googling and experimentation. If you have any hints, please share them!

There's an update coming out for the site software that should make participation from mobile devices much easier, but it hasn't been issued yet. We're all eager for this (and I personally can't believe the existing system didn't have that - what is this, 2006?), but until then, posting via mobile is going to be funky.

Thanks for starting the thread, btw. 

• Love 2

Any bites for the butter chicken recipes? Burgh makhani is what I am coming up with when I google it. And I found a recipe from Sarah's Secrets, I miss that show, and she was always legit so I might try hers.

Butter chicken (murgh makhani) is definitely something you can make at home.  You can Google up loads of recipes and pick one.  I make Indian dishes in the BIR (British Indian Restaurant) fashion by making a base gravy that is used for a lot of different dishes, but that's a big commitment and a lot more time consuming.  A standalone recipe should be fine if you can get the spices. Garam Masala is a must and fairly easy to obtain, dried fenugreek leaves (not seeds) are an extra step which puts it over the top, but are harder to obtain and can be considered optional.  The rest of the spices (usually stuff like coriander, cumin, tumeric) are straightforward, but if you want it to come out great, throw out the three year old spice bottles in your pantry and start fresh.  If you have a "natural foods" type store nearby you can often buy small quantities of fresh spices out of bulk jars. 

PS: I haven't tried it, but this Gordon Ramsay recipe looks like it hits the salient points with easy to find ingredients.

http://www.food.com/recipe/murgh-makhani-moghul-butter-chicken-422848

You'll want to use heavy or whipping cream as a substitute for the UK product "double cream" in the recipe.

Carried over from the off topic gluten thread....LOL....I can answer a few questions on gluten free or celiac cooking/some baking.

The question was bread and Udis and if you like that flavor then buying it is probably easier and cheaper. IMO if you aren't well versed in GF cooking and baking then bread is never a good place to start. It's very finicky and has a propensity to get dense. There are a lot of udi level breads on the market....canyon bake house is good and Rudis is also decent.

Banana breads on the other hand need no gluten so it's very easy to get results that are as good if not better. You may notice that banana, zucchini breads...brownies etc. are pretty mainstream. Namaste brand makes nice cheater mixes. GF Jules is good for tapioca mixes. If you can eat dairy then Cup for Cup or King Arthur has a good cup for cup substitute. You can also find flour mixes and remade GF bread, including Udis at Costco.

To the poster wondering if gluten breaks down at the Thai restaurant my answer would be they have to substitute soy sauce with gluten free Tamari and use a clean pan. Soy sauce is always a no. And not soften the rice noodles in the same boiling water as the wheat noodles. And a few Thai places use a fish sauce that contains wheat. However many thai dishes are inherently GF...green curries are usually a good bet with white rice. If you are celiac I would pass unless you are comfy with the kitchen.

2 dishes easy to reproduce at home are Singapore chow fun (Chinese curried noodles with shrimp, ham and veg) and Thai curries using paste from the grocery store or world market.

• Love 1

Carried over from the off topic gluten thread....LOL....I can answer a few questions on gluten free or celiac cooking/some baking.

The question was bread and Udis and if you like that flavor then buying it is probably easier and cheaper. IMO if you aren't well versed in GF cooking and baking then bread is never a good place to start. It's very finicky and has a propensity to get dense. There are a lot of udi level breads on the market....canyon bake house is good and Rudis is also decent.

Banana breads on the other hand need no gluten so it's very easy to get results that are as good if not better. You may notice that banana, zucchini breads...brownies etc. are pretty mainstream. Namaste brand makes nice cheater mixes. GF Jules is good for tapioca mixes. If you can eat dairy then Cup for Cup or King Arthur has a good cup for cup substitute. You can also find flour mixes and remade GF bread, including Udis at Costco.

To the poster wondering if gluten breaks down at the Thai restaurant my answer would be they have to substitute soy sauce with gluten free Tamari and use a clean pan. Soy sauce is always a no. And not soften the rice noodles in the same boiling water as the wheat noodles. And a few Thai places use a fish sauce that contains wheat. However many thai dishes are inherently GF...green curries are usually a good bet with white rice. If you are celiac I would pass unless you are comfy with the kitchen.

2 dishes easy to reproduce at home are Singapore chow fun (Chinese curried noodles with shrimp, ham and veg) and Thai curries using paste from the grocery store or world market.

Thank you so much for your response.  I purchased some gluten free flour (Dolma?) at the store yesterday, but I think my quest to bake gluten free bread may be over before it has begun, and you've confirmed that so I'll be returning that tommorrow.  I will check out Canyon Bake House.  

May I ask....what is a remade GF bread?  Or did you mean premade?  I don't really cook as a general rule, so I really don't know.

I don't have Celiac's, but I do think I have a gluten intolerance.  Shorter story - I was feeling weak and run down, my iron levels were low, and my doctor thought I might have celiacs which was blocking my iron absorbtion.  Before I took the test, I decided to just take glutens out of my diet and see how I feel, and I felt much better.  The test confirmed that I don't have celiacs, but since I felt so much better after removing the glutens I figured it might be just some sort of intolerance to glutens.  What I had read about the soy sauce in Thai food was that the glutens in soy sauce were so degraded that they might be safe to eat (unless you had something as serious as Celiacs) but I figured better safe than sorry and I just got In n' Out protein style (a burger that is wrapped in lettuce instead of on a bun).

But thank you for the advice about how to order Thai food.  I think you're right, maybe a yellow or green curry with rice might be best.  Thai curry is so darned tasty that I'm sure I won't miss pad say eew.

If I do decide I want to cook, I will certainly look in to your recipes.  Do you have any go to sites that might offer easy, healthy, and tasty GF recipes?

Anyways, thank you again a million for your input.

I don't have Celiac's, but I do think I have a gluten intolerance.  Shorter story - I was feeling weak and run down, my iron levels were low, and my doctor thought I might have celiacs which was blocking my iron absorbtion.  Before I took the test, I decided to just take glutens out of my diet and see how I feel, and I felt much better.  The test confirmed that I don't have celiacs, but since I felt so much better after removing the glutens I figured it might be just some sort of intolerance to glutens.  What I had read about the soy sauce in Thai food was that the glutens in soy sauce were so degraded that they might be safe to eat (unless you had something as serious as Celiacs) but I figured better safe than sorry and I just got In n' Out protein style (a burger that is wrapped in lettuce instead of on a bun).

If I do decide I want to cook, I will certainly look in to your recipes.  Do you have any go to sites that might offer easy, healthy, and tasty GF recipes?

I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in 1998. You have to be eating gluten before the test for it to be accurate, so you might really be celiac.

An earlier poster mentioned vinegar as a problem. It's not, except for malt and (possibly) flavored vinegars. The distillation process removes any grain proteins, even if the original source contained gluten. The same is true for most alcoholic beverages, except beer, which is not distilled, and is made from barley, so it's not gluten free.

The Delphi on line celiac support group has lots of recipes (and other information about gluten free diets): http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start/

• Love 1

I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in 1998. You have to be eating gluten before the test for it to be accurate, so you might really be celiac.

An earlier poster mentioned vinegar as a problem. It's not, except for malt and (possibly) flavored vinegars. The distillation process removes any grain proteins, even if the original source contained gluten. The same is true for most alcoholic beverages, except beer, which is not distilled, and is made from barley, so it's not gluten free.

The Delphi on line celiac support group has lots of recipes (and other information about gluten free diets): http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start/

Thank you!  I had no idea that you had to be eating glutens before the test in order to ensure its accuracy.  Damn :(

thank you for the site.  Sometimes it can get a little confusing, so having these sites helps a lot.

Carried over from the Thanksgiving main thread, I have a little tip I learned from my grandmother about cooking turkey.  It may be common knowledge, but I always thought it was smart. 

To keep the breast from drying out during roasting, while the dark meat cooks thoroughly, she used to ice-down the breast.  She would take the turkey out of the fridge and put it in the roasting pan.  She would then take a big bag of crushed ice and drape it over the entire top, to cover the breast area.  She'd let the turkey rest this way for about 2 hours, replacing the ice in the bag as it melted.  She removed the ice bag right before roasting, seasoned the bird & proceeded.  It chilled the breast area enough so that it cooked much more slowly than the dark meat, and came out very juicy. 

I've done my whole turkeys this way my entire life and have never had dry breast meat.  

• Love 1

I sew up the back end, rub under the breast skin with olive oil, salt and pepper, fill the cavity with onions, herbs, a handful of dried mushrooms and a bottle of white wine, truss it, and cook it breast up with the neck end propped on a sweet potato to keep the wine from running out. Sage in the brining water helps too.

The carcass makes incredible soup.

Edited by Julia

Listen, I think there is only one way to settle the debate as to who has the best turkey cooking method.  You all can simply send me a selection of your turkey (a piece of white, and a piece of dark meat) and than I shall determine who is the winner.  Now, if you want extra points, feel free to include gluten free sides.

Whoever wins will get a more impressive made up title than whatever KeriAnn has.

• Love 4

Late to the turkey quest but my dear departed uncle roasted it breast-side down. It was always juicy and tender. I can't remember the last time I did the honors. I like dark meat so really appreciate the easy accessibility of turkey legs and thighs. I love turkey!

And thanks all for celiac/gluten info. Not intolerant myself but a gluten-free co-worker brings me a muffin (usually banana or zucchini) almost daily and I have been trying to think of an appropriate thank-you/Christmas gift.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2017 at 0:27 PM, Blonde Gator said:

I cooked it w/a friend, it took us two days the first time we made it. <--my blog of this recipe including pics.  I'm posting my blog because the Top Chef Masters link is gone, and so is the HuffPo link to Rick Bayless' recipe, but I copied his recipe (in italics) and made comments about each step.....so you'll have the right recipe if anyone wants to try it out. 

I love a good challenge :) I had most of the ingredients in my (expansive) pantry, and what I didn't (the mexican chocolate, lard, and some of the dried chilies) I got at a hispanic-oriented market near me. Because it's winter I was even able to get some seriously underripe, that is, green, roma tomatoes! I'm on step 2 now (did the smokey stuff on our outdoor grill in 15 degree weather!)  Smells wonderful already.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I love a good challenge :) I had most of the ingredients in my (expansive) pantry, and what I didn't (the mexican chocolate, lard, and some of the dried chilies) I got at a hispanic-oriented market near me. Because it's winter I was even able to get some seriously underripe, that is, green, roma tomatoes! I'm on step 2 now (did the smokey stuff on our outdoor grill in 15 degree weather!)  Smells wonderful already.

That's exciting!  The grill for the seeds is a great idea, even in 15 degrees, yikes!  In Mexico they have a big comal outside that they use, they actually light the seeds on fire, there's lots of chili oil in them, even dried ones you buy.

Funny you should mention the under-ripe tomatoes, I have trouble finding under-ripe ones as well, and used as pale as I could find.

I've tried finding chihuacle negro chiles, they're not grown commercially here that I can find.....there's a lady in New Jersey that has spectacular chile plants, and they ship the seedlings in the most clever box you've ever seen.  Highly recommend this site if you buy plants online.    Here's the "black mole" chihuacle negro (I suppose you could also use the red one).

Oh yeah, don't forget the sesame seeds for garnish, LOL.  Let us know how you make out, it's as authentic as anything I ate in Oaxaca or Guerrero, and I ate LOTS of mole there.

• Love 2

Yes, it’s a goofy recipe but it works.

1 lb ground beef

1 can Campbell’s alphabet soup

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

1/4 cup ketchup

Salt & pepper, about 1 tsp each

Mix all together and put into a loaf pan. Poke holes in the top and drizzle worcestshire sauce over to fill the holes. Top with ketchup to cover. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until bubbly and edges are browned.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

1/4 cup ketchup

Mix all together and put into a loaf pan. Poke holes in the top and drizzle worcestshire sauce over to fill the holes. Top with ketchup to cover. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until bubbly and edges are browned.

Sounds good!

Would the Alphabet soup be of a certain one? Chicken-based, vegetable-based, etc, or does it not matter? Can I use Chicken Noodle soup and whirl the noodles into smaller pieces?

I am glad that ketchup is getting its due appreciation as a condiment and ingredient with favored attributes all on its own!

On 12/31/2017 at 0:09 PM, cooksdelight said:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

1/4 cup ketchup

I believe it.  I use 1 packet of Knor vegetable soup, 1 cup milk, half cup bread crumbs and 1 egg.  Tomato paste spread on top.  It gets rave reviews.  I am going to try yours next time. 

Edited by Wings
On 12/31/2017 at 2:09 PM, cooksdelight said:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

1/4 cup ketchup

just one pound of beef for a "normal" loaf pan? Seems like not enough?

For those of you who love chiles....I just ordered some on the internet, a pound each, to see what they were like.  The only chiles I can reliably get here are fresh poblanos, jalepenos, and serranos, no Anaheims....and dried guajillos and pasillas.  It's hard to find dried Anchos, the good Chipotles, and New Mexico Reds.  I don't know why, but it is.

Anyway, I ordered anchos, meco chipotle, some NM reds, and NM green flakes....they arrived earlier and are absolutely beautiful and fresh.   Highly recommend this vendor.

http://www.thechileguy.com/

Enjoy.

• Love 1

^Don't know where you are, but while 9 out of 10 groceries around me (exburban NYC) don't carry *any* dried chiles at all, there's one in a more hispanic neighborhood only a few miles from me that has tons, along with cheap limes, plantains, prickly pear paddles, mexican chocolate, etc. etc.. Now if there aren't any concentrations of hispanic people around you I guess you're out of luck. Just throwing it out there. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, dleighg said:

^Don't know where you are, but while 9 out of 10 groceries around me (exburban NYC) don't carry *any* dried chiles at all, there's one in a more hispanic neighborhood only a few miles from me that has tons, along with cheap limes, plantains, prickly pear paddles, mexican chocolate, etc. etc.. Now if there aren't any concentrations of hispanic people around you I guess you're out of luck. Just throwing it out there. 

I live in SoFla....and there's a great chain, "Save A Lot", that carries lots of fantastic Hispanic stuff, I can always get fresh tomatillos, poblanos, jalepenos, fresh yucca, etc., as well as most of the Badia spices, including stuff like achiote paste, pepita seeds, etc, all kinds of tortillas, Abuelita chocolate (a Nestle product, BTW).  But for some reason, they no longer carry New Mexico Red or Ancho chiles.  And I can't find them in any of the regular grocery stores, either, and I've never even seen chipotles here other than in a can, which truly, why bother?  Have a BIL in Santa Fe, but he forgets, so I thought I'd just try this place I found online (it's in New Mexico), and I am SUPER pleased with what they shipped.  They also had green New Mexico chile flakes, so I bought a pound.  I've ordered 20 lbs. of them fresh, before, in the early fall, but the shipping is outrageous, and you end up spending about $20 a lb. by the time you roast, peel, freeze.  So I thought I'd try the flakes, and they smell awesome!  Can't wait to try green chicken chili with those babies.  I love poblanos, and use lots of them because I can get them....but there's something about the taste of NM Greens that we just crave!  I blame Bobby Flay.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

Unless you are **specifically** looking for Mexican-type chillies and no other will do - dried chillies can be found in Chinese, SE Asian, Indian, Pakistani, Korean groceries...not just in hispanic groceries...and in the NYC exurbs, they are all there. (I lived in NJ 10 miles out from NYC for years)

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 1

Lura....you can remember the "chicken trick".....if you've ever made pretzels, you have to boil them before baking for about 30 seconds in a bath of water & baking soda.  Same thing with the chicken.  Baking soda changes the PH.  Baking powder has both acid and alkali elements, hence it causes bubbles by itself when added to a dough.  But you always have to add an acid when using baking soda (either buttermilk, vinegar, etc.  OR baking powder as well).  Easy peasy!  BTW.....the pretzel thing is pretty damned impressive (and easy)!  I made them, and "pretzel buns" for the kidlets.  They went WILD over them.

I’m going to be grilling chicken tomorrow, and I like to brine it the night before. I use equal parts vinegar/water/butter, salt & pepper to taste depending on the amount of brine. If I add the baking powder to this, what else should I add, if anything?

Edited by cooksdelight
28 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m going to be grilling chicken tomorrow, and I like to brine it the night before. I use equal parts vinegar/water/butter, salt & pepper to taste depending on the amount of brine. If I add the baking powder to this, what else should I add, if anything?  NOT POWDER!!!! 

I've not tried the baking soda trick myself (on chicken).....I think I'd use the regular brine, and then dry your chicken and give it a quick dip in plain water with baking SODA.  Alton Brown's bagel recipe calls for 10 cups of water with 2/3 cup baking soda.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe-1948242

You want to change the pH of the skin....I'd not want to brine the chicken in a baking soda brine....I'd worry it would change the texture of the chicken itself.  I think a 30 second dunk in boiling water/baking soda mix would do.

I buy Baking Soda in 5 lb. containers from GFS (Gordon Food Service, a restaurant supply).  My house (and plumbing) are OLD....so I use the old 1 cup baking soda, followed by 1 cup white vinegar...wait 1/2 hour and pour in a giant pot of boiling water....about every other week on both of my kitchen drains, and maybe 1x a month in the bathrooms.  It saves me from paying the plumber to come snake out the pipes!   It is non-corrosive, cheap, and better yet....works like a charm!  Also, you can use baking soda, aluminum foil, boiling water & salt to clean your silver (look it up on the internet).  Easy peasy.  The oxidation on the silver transfers to the aluminum foil in reaction to the pH of the baking soda, ionized by the salt. 

Please let us know how you make out with the chicken.  Best.

Edited by Blonde Gator
  • Love 2

That makes sense, a 30-sec dunk. This is the brine that was used 50+ years ago and handed down from generation to generation from the guy who grilled the chicken at my Dad’s company picnic every summer. Look up “Rimco Chicken” on Food.com or whatever they are calling themselves now.

21 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

I've not tried the baking soda trick myself (on chicken).....I think I'd use the regular brine, and then dry your chicken and give it a quick dip in plain water with baking SODA

I think the confusion came from the initial statement that he used powder by @Blonde Gator on Sunday: "like Mustache Joe's great hint to add baking powder to the chicken brine to crisp the skin, or Chris's brine of lemonade for his fried chicken! "

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I think the confusion came from the initial statement that he used powder by @Blonde Gator on Sunday: "like Mustache Joe's great hint to add baking powder to the chicken brine to crisp the skin, or Chris's brine of lemonade for his fried chicken! "

OMG....I need to shoot myself, now. 

DEEP APOLOGIES FOR ANY CONFUSION.  Sheeit.....I'll blame it on Partsheimers!  Seriously, I know better.  *rolls eyes at myself*

• Love 1

Baking soda (and its equivalents) are used in other cuisines too - like in Chinese-based cuisines --- for crisping up shrimp/prawns, for example. These would be PEELED shrimp, exposed flesh. Soak them in a cool (tap water temp is fine)  bath of baking soda. or, kan sui†† a.k.a. "lye water", or sodium bicarbonate/potassium carbonate.  Doesn't have to be that alkaline --- pH around 8+ or 9+ is fine (0.1N potassium carbonate would be pH 11; 0.1N sodium bicarbonate would be pH 8.4)(baking soda is sodium bicarbonate) 15 minutes is plenty. [Don't leave it in too long, the shrimp (and other proteins) begin to turn to mush on prolonged exposure to alkaline pH] Then rinse them thoroughly.  This is one way to get that "Chinese Restaurant quality crunchiness" of shrimp in their dishes.**  It's an old trick. Doubtless known in various permutations across cuisines hither and yon and folks here will know about its use in various forms of baked products in the Western traditions. Kan sui is also used for things like mooncakes, in a similar manner to endowing bagels with their particular "skin"; and in ramen and "pulled noodles" and wonton noodles and many many sorts of what one might call "alkaline-treated wheat noodles" to give them that springiness/bounciness, color and texture. In fact, lye water from a certain lake in Inner Mongolia furnished the "secret ingredient" in making the original "Chinese alkaline noodles" and then their variants, many centuries ago; and which led to ramen when the technique crossed the Sea of Japan to those islands off the coast of Korea/China.

**(The most straightforwards "usual" method, though, is to simply let your peeled shrimp stand in a bowl of cool tap water under the slowly running tap, if your water is the typical slightly alkaline type (is your water hard? Then it's alkaline) but that takes a MUCH longer time and does waste a lot of water.)

†† (from Chinese groceries; 枧水 (simplified), 梘水 (traditional)) See here for one article in English on it.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

Recently, on a podcast, Tyler mentioned that he gave Joe the idea to add the baking soda to the wings. Joe got all of the credit. Being the team player that he is, Tyler didn't say anything. 

If I might ask, where do you find these podcasts? 

That was a super interesting little factoid, thanks.

I'm way behind in reading this forum and don't remember which episode it was, but think it was Restaurant Wars where someone asked how to make Carrie's beet gummies. Since I can't remember the episode, I'm posting it here. It may have already been answered in that thread.

Someone who claims to be Carrie's sous chef on Reddit (I haven't read all his posts to see if he has posted any proof) explained how to make the beet gummies as:

It's basically boiling them in vinegar & sugar then putting them in the dehydrator. Cut them small and check them after four hours or so dehydrating at 135°.

There were a couple of other recipes at this link. 

• Love 4

Does anyone have a good recipe for making (gimlet) cocktail onions?  Mr. BG bought me some pearl onions, which I cleaned up and put in the freezer for future creamed pearl onions.  They are so yummy, though, that I"m having a gimlet, but they need a bit of a pickle on them.  I looked up some recipes, none appealed.  I know they need salt & vinegar to start (they're sweet enough as is).  But what else?  Juniper berries, telecherry peppercorns?  Garlic?