Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

I agree. I think Oliver can be great as the ideas guy, but he kinda sucks at day to day management, which Felicity actually does super well. It's sort of like he's the president of Team Arrow, and Felicity's the CEO that runs daily ops.

• Love 6

Hey, do any of you know a good Emily Bett Rickards fan site that has a nice image directory?  I'd like to find the behind the scenes pink-hair photoshoot images, and I'm not sure where the best place would be to see them all.

5 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

It just strikes me that Felicity seems to have taken ownership of the team, more than Oliver has. And I trace it back to when Oliver died. She momentarily quit, but then she came back with renewed purpose and everybody who was left behind — Digg, Roy, Laurel — kinda looked to her for direction. Oliver at the end of Season 3 was quick to drop the team and pursue a vigilante-free life with Felicity, while she still kept her fingers in the pie, so to speak. And, well, in Season 4, on top of overseeing the team, she also financed them. Look, I'm not trying to diminish OTA (I'm probably one of the loudest supporters of the core trio) but IMO the show has given Felicity more of a leadership role on the team. 

I still get a "I'm on a team?  Why is this  a team?" vibe from Oliver as if he'd still be more comfortable doing it alone or with just Diggle as back-up while for Felicity it's definitely a team that she has a specific place on.  That's why she's better at managing it, because she knows it's a team.

Maybe it's also because she's the person back at the base directing so she knows she can't do it alone.

14 hours ago, TrueMyth said:

Hey, do any of you know a good Emily Bett Rickards fan site that has a nice image directory?  I'd like to find the behind the scenes pink-hair photoshoot images, and I'm not sure where the best place would be to see them all.

Do you mean her Mane Addicts photo shoot? Here's official pics (first link) and b-t-s pics/vids (second link)...
http://maneaddicts.com/2016/06/27/mane-muse-emily-bett/ 
http://www.beautifulballad.org/2016/04/29/emily-bett-rickards-shoots-for-mane-addicts/

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Do you mean her Mane Addicts photo shoot? Here's official pics (first link) and b-t-s pics/vids (second link)...
http://maneaddicts.com/2016/06/27/mane-muse-emily-bett/ 
http://www.beautifulballad.org/2016/04/29/emily-bett-rickards-shoots-for-mane-addicts/

Yes, that's the photo shoot.  Sad if fan sites are going the way of the dodo, but that's for all the work you do to keep these things at your fingers.

Until proven otherwise-next week maybe-I'm going with Felicity is in denial about Havenrock. She was too happy at the end of last season when it was OTA in the bunker prior to the Diggle/Oliver conversation.  She was happy in the bunker last night. She seemed tired and sad when she entered the loft and only roused herself when she realized she wasn't alone.  She needs to break before she can start to heal. I don't think she has allowed herself to do that.

• Love 5

Yeah, she seemed very happy and perky and that didn't really jive with her feeling guilty about Havenrock. So I hope this is intentional and she is in denial/bottling things up. 

I won't hold my breath though.

• Love 1

I think she's definitely compartmentalizing. It's the only way to explain everything, including not telling Oliver about the boyfriend, or...just having a boyfriend, in general. It's also consistent with her characterization. But even knowing that doesn't excuse the writers from not dropping some kind of nugget to hint at her turmoil. Would have taken a half second to show her looking rough and then quickly putting on her perky mask when Oliver came in the lair, for example. 

Honestly I think they wrote this episode with goals in mind in terms of tone and content elements, and they didn't care to set anything up beyond that. It felt like a sales pitch. Like: here are the character dynamics we think you like, here are some big stunt set pieces, here's Oliver kicking ass, here's Russia! So Felicity was back to those great S1/2 days where her only role on the show was hero support, and her interactions with Oliver were not at all laced with angst. And, fine, because I hate when these writers try to write romantic angst because they are bad at it and it doesn't showcase the best between SA/EBR. But the fact remains that her relentless perkiness doesn't jive with what we know Felicity is supposed to be going through. So it was just kind of...perplexing.

• Love 17

I would let go of some of my anger/annoyance over the random bf storyline if it was linked to Felicity compartmentalizing her guilt. I think it could be interesting to see Felicity struggle for a change and not know how to be by herself because whenever she is she just thinks about Havenrock and the lives lost.

It would explain her throwing herself into work and being at the bunker late, going out and meeting Detective Mayo (although how and when the hell that happened I have no idea) and pretending all is okay. I just worry that's not how it will come across. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4

I noticed two subtle moments in 5x01 where it seemed that Felicity might have dropped her perky mask.  First time was in the lair when Oliver left, she took her glasses off and looked sad/tired, and as soon as she noticed Curtis coming into the lair, she put her glasses back on and dived right back into talking to him about Arrow business.  The second time was when she went back to the loft before we saw the BF.  It's the quiet times alone when Havenrock eats away at her, but between Arrow business and BF, she gave herself plenty of distractions at home and at work to keep her focus away from her thoughts.

• Love 4

I definitely noticed the tired/sad stuff when she first walked into the Loft. EBR also said at COH2 that it would be subtle things thrown in to show her feelings on Havenrock.  I think she was probably talking about 501/502 where it's going to rely on her acting to convery her hidden emotions. 

• Love 4

Just watched Flash, made me wonder. Is someone going nuts with Felicity’s wardrobe. Why is she working in the lair alone with fancy hair and a tight dress? Did you see all those little plaits everywhere? How much time would it have taken to style that just to turn up and work the lair?

I've decided to give up shipping and just watch it for Felicity's wardrobe!

• Love 1

Felicity's been put together since season 2 so the wardrobe didn't throw me. The hairdo, however, did. The Flash has made her matronly in the past, now they're going for juvenile? If this is another effect of the Flashpoint, I swear, Barry.

• Love 1

Just saw the clip posted in the Mind thread.  Fantastic dress (seriously fabulous) but they were so busy putting the braids in they forgot the extensions for Felicity's ponytail, it was way too short. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I hate Felicity's short ponytail and the terrible extensions they put in it. I miss her long hair.

They should just leave it down, IMO.

Agree. It's just too short to look good in a ponytail. I know it's her trademark, but leaving it down at this point would be better. 

I thought the braids last night were...not great. 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Agree. It's just too short to look good in a ponytail. I know it's her trademark, but leaving it down at this point would be better. 

I thought the braids last night were...not great. 

Omg! Thank you. I was so puzzled by the hair! The ponytail looked terrible! But. Oh! Maybe she was trying to match Detective Tiny Hands's level of hair disaster? When life gives you lemons... 

LOLOLOL. Sorry. Too much sleep depriveness. 

@Cleanqueen from the spoilers discussion thread. I didn't really like Felicity in 406. I thought she was a bit mean and spiteful. I didn't like the digs at Oliver about not being smart enough to help. She came across as a bit childish, IMO. I actually didn't mind the introduction of a conflict in O/F's relationship - how she was scared she'd lost herself in Oliver - but I just wish they'd handled her behavior better. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

@Cleanqueen from the spoilers discussion thread. I didn't really like Felicity in 406. I thought she was a bit mean and spiteful. I didn't like the digs at Oliver about not being smart enough to help. She came across as a bit childish, IMO. I actually didn't mind the introduction of a conflict in O/F's relationship - how she was scared she'd lost herself in Oliver - but I just wish they'd handled her behavior better. 

Aaah gotcha. Yes I did have an issue with her insulting his intelligence and pushing him away but I also saw  how much stress she was in. I did like that she did apologize for her actions towards the end.

1 hour ago, Cleanqueen said:

Aaah gotcha. Yes I did have an issue with her insulting his intelligence and pushing him away but I also saw  how much stress she was in. I did like that she did apologize for her actions towards the end.

That's the thing, I'm all for Felicity having flaws. And when she's stressed she lashes out. I can accept that. I just wish it wasn't exaggerated to the max and she lashed out a lot in that episode. Too much, IMO. And she didn't really apologize at the end, at least not the words "I'm sorry" but seeing as this show seems to think people can apologize in their own way (Grrrr, Oliver, grrrrr), I can let that slide. She did seem to know she'd behaved badly which was something.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2016 at 7:30 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I definitely noticed the tired/sad stuff when she first walked into the Loft. EBR also said at COH2 that it would be subtle things thrown in to show her feelings on Havenrock.  I think she was probably talking about 501/502 where it's going to rely on her acting to convery her hidden emotions. 

I honestly think this is because EBR cares about her character and her journey. The subtle stuff will be because of her. I give the writers no credit for giving us any emotional insight into her character outside of artificially created angst for plot.

• Love 5

I wish I could sit the writers down to watch the past episode of Pitch to make them understand what breaking down really means. Doing rash, self destructive things, being openly angry without question, and finally being able to TALK ABOUT IT WITH PEOPLE WHO KNOW AND CARE ABOUT YOU. 

There was 4.5 seconds of whoobie face for Felicity before SHE had to contact Rory and talk to him. Diggle gets to do an utterly ridiculous, stupid thing like sitting in jail to pay for his sins, Felicity must immediately bring Rory back to the team and face her fears. 

I hate it. 

• Love 13

Yay, Felicity in Vixen! <3

12 hours ago, Password said:

I wish I could sit the writers down to watch the past episode of Pitch to make them understand what breaking down really means. Doing rash, self destructive things, being openly angry without question, and finally being able to TALK ABOUT IT WITH PEOPLE WHO KNOW AND CARE ABOUT YOU. 

There was 4.5 seconds of whoobie face for Felicity before SHE had to contact Rory and talk to him. Diggle gets to do an utterly ridiculous, stupid thing like sitting in jail to pay for his sins, Felicity must immediately bring Rory back to the team and face her fears. 

I hate it. 

IDK what you're talking about. I thought Felicity's Havenrock breakdown was amazing and character rich and...WAIT. Sorry, that only happened in my imagination. MY BAD.

It's insulting that the emotional fallout lasted a grand total of ten minutes across 3 episodes. And yet they're so generous with their time when it comes to showing Felicity sleeping with Mayo Bread. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 8

Of which most of those 10 min were about Rory. 

Little steps, at least she was permitted to have an on-screen & in-script emotional response. Most of the time, I give the emotional credits to EBR. 

And I would bet if there was no male character impacted by Havenrock we would have gotten NO emotional response at all from the writers.

• Love 2
On 10/26/2016 at 3:35 PM, lemotomato said:

From this tweet, looks like Felicity has a birthday, and it's the same as EBR's (except for the year): 

felicity.jpg

I think it's a page from the "Arrow - Oliver Queen's Dossier" book, so we can consider it show canon? 

I just noticed that she's an INTJ.  I'm an ENTJ, so the only difference is she introverted, and I am extroverted.

INTJs are considered "masterminds," which is perfect for Felicity!

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think the big benefit of Felicity moving to LoT is that she wouldn't be dismissed the way she is on Arrow.  Like Iris and Thea this season, she's become only a prop for manpain instead of having her place much less storyline on the show.  This episode really emphasized how she's been reduced to comic relief (the party scene) and excuse for Oliver's manpain.

I'd like to see Felicity out in the field again.  Has she had any scenes outside the bunker this season other than with Mayo?  (I really hate how the too many masks takes time away from the characters that I want to see.)

Not sure where to put this conversation, but since it mainly focuses on Felicity and how she can be appreciated, I'm putting this here.

What makes you think that LoT has the time to give Felicity her due when they have 7 regular characters already? Yes, she got a bigger role in the LoT part of the crossover, but that's an event-type episode.

Yes, Felicity's storyline has been paltry this season, but so are the ones for Thea, Lance, and Diggle. They've all suffered because the show wants to focus on the noobs and Oliver's renewed manpain. Putting things into perspective, out of all the regulars besides Oliver, Felicity has been shafted the least. 

• Love 6

Because Phil Klemmer on LoT doesn't think girls have cooties?  I know Lot doesn't have the time to give Felicity her due but Arrow isn't.

I'd argue that Diggle hasn't had much time spent on his story line this season but at least he has one (Chechnya, dealing with feelings from Andy killing Laurel and then killing Andy himself, escaping from jail, mentoring Wild Dog, sadness at not being with his family, and now captured again).  Lance has his addiction (again).  All Thea has had is helping Oliver do his job as mayor and helping Lance sober up as his pseudo-daughter.

What has Felicity done this season?  Talked Oliver into getting a new team.  Helped Oliver with the new team including being disrespected by Wild Dog, as a stand in for comic book dudes, because she doesn't wear a mask and fights.  (Notice how he really has the hots for Thea, she can fight.) Had a boyfriend who was barely on screen so that Oliver can kill him in the MSF and have his manpain.  Needed Curtis' help to write algorithms and to mansplain her.  Had Havenrock angst for 2 episodes so that she could give a speech to make Rory commit to Team Arrow and then it was gone .

They've pretty much taken everything that made Felicity awesome away from her this season, including having a job at all much less being CEO.

On 2016-10-26 at 3:44 PM, Angel12d said:

Does that say her IQ is 170?

That was then. Sadly.

• Love 4
On 12/10/2016 at 3:36 AM, wonderwall said:

Depressing parallel is super depressing. You can see that she's alone most of the time - and the one where she's grieving Oliver, she's snapping at Ray and pushing him away... People say Oliver needs to embrace the people in his life and let them help him, I think Felicity needs to learn this lesson too especially when she's facing something terrible. But all I can say is, Felicity is one strong woman for being able to deal with these losses mostly on her own...

tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo1_250.gif tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo6_250.gif
tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo7_250.gif tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo5_250.gif
tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo2_250.gif tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo9_250.gif
tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo10_250.gif tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo3_250.gif
tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo4_250.gif tumblr_ohv87v6Oyu1tiq97xo8_250.gif

http://felicitys.tumblr.com/post/154202140191/felicity-grieving-all-of-her-boyfriends-oliver

It makes me think they are trying to set up FS as a black widow character. It seems like everyone that falls in love with her dies. I know it's for plot. But it really seems intentional at this point.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, kismet said:

It makes me think they are trying to set up FS as a black widow character. It seems like everyone that falls in love with her dies. I know it's for plot. But it really seems intentional at this point.

You could also say the same for Oliver. Shado, Sara, and Laurel died. Isabel and Poppy too, if you want to stretch it to women he slept with/failed love interests. Maybe they're just trying to put Felicity on the same level of loss as Oliver so the comparative "lightness" between the characters isn't so imbalanced. 

• Love 10

I'm posting this here because Nina Dobrev's role in the new Vin Diesel movie, xXx: Return of Xander Cage, is apparently a lot like Felicity Smoak (watch the featurette below!), so the point of my post is - I guess you could say - Felicity Smoak's legacy in Hollywood...

http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/xxx-return-of-xander-cage-movie-review-though-silly-in-parts-deepika-padukones-hollywood-debut-is-a-treat-for-her-fans/

There is a line in the end said by a character about kicking some ass, getting the girl and looking dope while doing it. That’s exactly what the movie is all about, basically Vin Diesel and the cast doing cool stunts and looking good while doing so. Don’t bother to even expect a plot or character development here. If you really wanna know, the premise is basically Fast and Furious meets The Expendables meets Captain America: Winter Soldier. There is a scene between Vin Diesel and Deepika Padukone showing off their tattoos that will remind you of a similar scene in Jaws. Nina Dobrev’s geeky tech genius is so Felicity Smoak from Arrow. Hollywood may call it ‘inspiration’ or ‘paying homage’, but we call it copying. Basically, Vin Diesel wants to make xXx a Fast and Furious franchise but with minimal efforts. So there are ridiculous stunts, a ragtag team put together (where even the hero’s nemesis joins later), half naked chicks, an overdone world-endangering Macguffin and Vin Diesel doing what he does best. The movie is just several action sequences stitched together by a non-existent plot, that sometimes become too unbearable. Some of the action sequences are too silly to be digested, even for a movie like this. Like for example, in the plane fight sequence in the climax, the director must have got confused between the concept of free fall and gravity loss. The insertion of a cameo (that links the second movie to this) and a foreseeable twist near the end are ludicrous to say the least. Fans of Thai star Tony Jaa will be disappointed to see the little the actor gets to do here.

http://www.melty.fr/xxx-3-vin-diesel-et-nina-dobrev-sur-une-photo-officielle-du-film-a517162.html
(English translation)

Nina Dobrev lends her traits to Becky in the film, a funny and sarcastic geek who will have an important role in the plot. She will be a little Felicity Smoak (Arrow) by Xander Cage and in the picture above shared by Vin Diesel, the young woman makes sure that the hero of the film is at ease in his clothes and ready to face the " enemy. The film is scheduled for January 25, 2017 in France and the fans of Vin Diesel also meet again on April 12, 2017 in theaters for Fast and Furious 8 which provides Charlize Theron in the role of the wicked!

xXx: Return of Xander Cage | Featurette: Nina Dobrev | Paramount Pictures International

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Haha. I thought they were exaggerating because let's face it, Felicity is not the first geeky tech genius but LOL after watching that video. She even babbles like Felicity.

There will only ever be one though because EBR. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

The nerdy/quirky/comic relief is only a limitation for the woman who possesses these very typical male characteristics. 

My statement wasn't meant to be negative at all, and I hope no one took it that way. Felicity is awesome and she plays a special and necessary role on the show, and they would be foolish to make her into something she's not (a costumed vigilante).

They all have masks because 1. penis 2. comics.

I think it has more to do with them already being comics characters than them being male or nerdy. In any case, I wouldn't compare her to those since she is an original character for this version of the Green Arrow story. Plus, three of those you mentioned came after her and they copied parts of her personality since they saw how well she worked on Arrow. The others I don't think are comparable at all. The closest person to compare her to (and even then it's not even close) is Winn Schott on Supergirl. (He shares the name of a comic character, but they made his father be the actual comic character.)

So anyway, I see those characteristics as her strengths, not limitations.

As you say, all the other nerdy/quirky/comic relief characters already have existing masks in the comics.

There is no real comparison because there's no other female quirky/nerdy character on the shows unless they choose to have Lily suit up in LoT.  But Thea is also an original character for this version of of the story and there was no opposition to her putting on red leather and a mask and joining the rest of them in the field but then she's not a nerdy/comic relief character.  It's only Felicity who needs to not step out of her box and stay comic relief (according to some).

• Love 3
On 1/16/2017 at 7:28 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

She's not completely original Thea Dearden Queen is based on Mia Dearden (comics Speedy). Which is why comic fans/Reddit didn't object. That plus, she wasn't a love interest and, she's the little sister.

Yeah this is hard to miss especially when people called her Mia in Corto Maltese and Moira's maiden name is Dearden so...

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, bijoux said:

Yeah, but she doesn't come off as charming to me. Those traits are just there.

When I saw that clip all I could think of was how terrible Nina Dobrev is at emoting... She really isn't very expressive. I think a lot of it has to do with her voice... It's just so monotonous

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3