Type keyword(s) to search

S15.01: The Perfect Bird

^^^^  I think she must be a plant.  I just can't imagine anyone doing that..................or admitting it.  Talk about cringeworthy.

I can do without her and the Jersey Shore "beauty queen" with crazed eyes but I didn't actually hate any of them.  Yet.  So far I like Mickey and his dad jokes.  He has a real job and looks normal.  And I like the older black woman with white hair - can't remember her name.  

Haven't we seen Sponjetta on some show before?  She looks familiar and I can't believe there could be two people with that weird name.

Tyler cracks me up.

• Love 6

I Googled Sponjetta.  She was on America's Got Talent and has herself all over YouTube singing.  These people must have an extreme case of attention-whorishness to go on this show, especially if they have any kind of career besides reality show foolishness.  This is the level when the Food Network turns in to the Fool Network.

• Love 10

I Googled Sponjetta.  She was on America's Got Talent

Oh yeah!  I think she was the one who sang some ridiculous "song" with repetitive lyrics about her studio that wasn't even amusing but Nick Cannon thought it was hilarious.  That must have been quite a few years ago because I haven't watched AGT since Howard Stern was a judge.  I guess she's exactly what whoever casts WCs looks for.  

ИWow.  They are all total clowns.  I miss first seasons, when they had normal people who wanted to learn how to cook instead of attention whores who want their five minutes of TV fame.  Some of them (like Antoinette, Brett, Carmelle, Mickey and Travele) are less annoying than the rest, though, so I will keep watching, the sucker that I am.  I won't pick favorites just yet, I need to see more to decide whether the seemingly more normal ones were just edited more favorably in the first episode! 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 6

This show makes zero sense. The first challenge was to illustrate “why you are the worst cook in America.” Then they sent the guy home for being the worst cook. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Maya said:

This show makes zero sense. The first challenge was to illustrate “why you are the worst cook in America.” Then they sent the guy home for being the worst cook. 

They did let all the picked recruits stay for another week, though.  I wonder how long the actual filming takes and how much off-screen cooking training they get...  

1 hour ago, Hellga said:

I wonder how long the actual filming takes and how much off-screen cooking training they get...  

A couple years ago I read somewhere that they actually do get quite a bit of training behind the scenes before each episode which would explain how they manage to complete rather complex dishes when they supposedly can't cook at all.  I have no idea if that's true or not. 

It's obvious to me that they've been in that kitchen before the show starts.  They walked in all googly-eyed like they'd never seen anything like it but, when Anne or Tyler said "Go," they all knew exactly which station to run to and which equipment to collect.

• Love 4

In one of the talking heads before we were told who was selected, Kat had red marker on her index finger, so I could tell she had been picked. That also speaks to training we don't see, as that is how Anne corrects her team members for holding their knives wrong.

• Love 3

Was the 66 year old from Haiti named Chantelle? She's slender and well-spoken and talked about her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  How could she make it this far being unable to cook?  She doesn't look like she's spent six decades chowing down on fast food.

Must be the lure of the $25K.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Was the 66 year old from Haiti named Chantelle? She's slender and well-spoken and talked about her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  How could she make it this far being unable to cook?  She doesn't look like she's spent six decades chowing down on fast food. 

Must be the lure of the $25K.

I just got done watching this episode on the DVR. The way the woman from Haiti described herself she made it sound like she over spiced things more then anything. A few of the "contestants" cooked those chickens pretty well for supposedly being some of the worst cooks. Just about all of them seem to be overly obnoxious this go around. Sometimes there are a couple that aren't as bad but I'm not sure we viewers are even getting that this go around.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, jcbrown said:

In one of the talking heads before we were told who was selected, Kat had red marker on her index finger, so I could tell she had been picked. That also speaks to training we don't see, as that is how Anne corrects her team members for holding their knives wrong.

I think those talking head inserts are filmed separately at the end or close to the end of the show.  Though it does make sense that they have been oriented to the kitchen at some point before we first see them cook.  And in reality a few days could have passed between them being filmed coming in oohing and aahing and them cooking for Ann and Tyler the first time.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, Brookside said:

What kind of cruel parents name their child Sponjetta.  And what kind of idiot doesn't rename themselves if they're unfortunate enough to be called Sponjetta,

Knowing the level of fame whore-ism we're dealing with, I suspect it's a stage name, chosen for the humor factor and because you're likely to remember it in spite of yourself.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:30 AM, mlp said:

A couple years ago I read somewhere that they actually do get quite a bit of training behind the scenes before each episode which would explain how they manage to complete rather complex dishes when they supposedly can't cook at all.  I have no idea if that's true or not. 

It's obvious to me that they've been in that kitchen before the show starts.  They walked in all googly-eyed like they'd never seen anything like it but, when Anne or Tyler said "Go," they all knew exactly which station to run to and which equipment to collect.

I was thinking the same thing and I remember reading that too somewhere.  I noticed when one of the male contestants was chopping vegetables he was doing it very deliberately like he had just been taught how to curl his fingers in so he won't chop them off.  I guess the show doesn't want them hurting themselves so maybe a few lessons in knife skills might precede the actual filming.  Anne made mention of how uniform (or not) their knife cuts were right from the start, so maybe they're taught that too.

• Love 2
On 1/7/2019 at 3:01 PM, OoogleEyes said:

From what level of hell central casting agency did they dig up these idiots?

Usually there's 3 or 4 fame-whoring morons. This time there's like 2 who aren't. I feel bad for the older woman, she seems to actually wants to learn, and she shouldn't have to put up with bullshitty nonsense. 

• Love 4
On 1/9/2019 at 1:38 AM, Yeah No said:

Knowing the level of fame whore-ism we're dealing with, I suspect it's a stage name, chosen for the humor factor and because you're likely to remember it in spite of yourself.

I was thinking the same thing and I remember reading that too somewhere.  I noticed when one of the male contestants was chopping vegetables he was doing it very deliberately like he had just been taught how to curl his fingers in so he won't chop them off.  I guess the show doesn't want them hurting themselves so maybe a few lessons in knife skills might precede the actual filming.  Anne made mention of how uniform (or not) their knife cuts were right from the start, so maybe they're taught that too.

My understanding is that the contestants on Masterchef also have lessons. I don't have an issue with that. My personal experience with algebra tells me that lessons alone do not an expert make. 

• Love 3