Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order Discussion Topic (2019 - 2021)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ML89 said:

I had forgotten that he gets mentioned in that ep with the reality show, with Jim Gaffigam running one family, based on the Octomom and Jim and Kate Plus 8 - where he’s the judge of the new reality show at the end and McCoy is shocked. 

Thompson could act - he played a preacher/con man in an arc on Wiseguy and was terrific - that was the first time I saw him. 

The look on Jack's face is PRICELESS.🤣

I remember him from DIEHARD II.

42 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Arthur is something of a polarizing character, but I kind of like him, I dislike his politics and how he would often bring in his politics into the discussion about their cases, but he had his good moments, and he added a spark back into the DA’s scenes that was sorely missing with Nora, say what you want about Arthur, but he was a colorful guy who had personality. He wasn’t nearly as great as Schiff, but he was far better than Nora.

Tru Dat.

• Love 4

I saw Vengeance today, that’s one of my favorite early season episodes, I liked Stone fighting to have Cheney stand trial in NY instead of in Connecticut, the victim’s mother was obviously lying about her daughter telling Cheney she was in Connecticut, it showed how Stone was devoted to doing things by the book, I loved that about him, I liked when he told Schiff he wouldn’t subvert the legal system to convict Cheney and then telling Robinette he wasn’t representing Cheney, he was representing the people of the state of New York. The case was very good, I liked the investigation of how they found Cheney in looking for connections between the victims. One of my favorite early season episodes. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I saw Vengeance today, that’s one of my favorite early season episodes, I liked Stone fighting to have Cheney stand trial in NY instead of in Connecticut, the victim’s mother was obviously lying about her daughter telling Cheney she was in Connecticut, it showed how Stone was devoted to doing things by the book, I loved that about him, I liked when he told Schiff he wouldn’t subvert the legal system to convict Cheney and then telling Robinette he wasn’t representing Cheney, he was representing the people of the state of New York. The case was very good, I liked the investigation of how they found Cheney in looking for connections between the victims. One of my favorite early season episodes. 

❤️❤️❤️👌👌

Another good Ben Stone episode is “The Troubles.” The way he puts the smack down on the lawyer who is bought and and paid for by  Sinn Féin, and then how respectful he was toward Bridget McDiarmid,  whose family O’Connell has murdered. I think it’s the only time he held a victim/witness’s hands. Loved his description of Sinn Féin as nothing but “Nazis with brogues.”

I still often wonder how the show would have been had Moriarty not gone Crazy for Cocoa Puffs and remained ADA. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

❤️❤️❤️👌👌

Another good Ben Stone episode is “The Troubles.” The way he puts the smack down on the lawyer who is bought and and paid for by  Sinn Féin, and then how respectful he was toward Bridget McDiarmid,  whose family O’Connell has murdered. I think it’s the only time he held a victim/witness’s hands. Loved his description of Sinn Féin as nothing but “Nazis with brogues.”

I still often wonder how the show would have been had Moriarty not gone Crazy for Cocoa Puffs and remained ADA. 

I love that episode. And one of the reasons I'm so happy to have DVR. I seen it once or twice before we got one before then the episode got skipped a lot. Perfect description of Sinn Féin. I remember it being in the news a lot back then and then dropped off the news. How great Moriarty was with Bridget and I do like when the Defensive lawyer objects at some point the Judge simply ignores him and asks her gently to continue.  I really love Ben chewing out that defensive lawyer for prison guard. I really hope he did end up in front of the review board anyways. I love the expression O'Connell has when he hears Ben call Bridget McDiarmid. 

• Love 2

on tv tropes they mentioned that it was revealed about joe fontata that the reason he was rich was he was an heir to some pasta company, not that he was a dirty cop, does anyonr know what episode or when it was mentioned how he was rich

3 hours ago, balmz said:

on tv tropes they mentioned that it was revealed about joe fontata that the reason he was rich was he was an heir to some pasta company, not that he was a dirty cop, does anyonr know what episode or when it was mentioned how he was rich

I don’t remember that, I’m not sure they ever explained it. Although Bernard took over from Fontana in the “check the quality of the dead guy’s suit” department. 

4 hours ago, balmz said:

I don't recall any such mention about Fontana. Actually, only one detective was obviously very well off and it was not on the Mothership, but Criminal Intent with Jeff Goldblum's Zack/Zach Nichols, who often talked about his shrink parents and their cocktail parties. And his parents' house was very highbrow.

But here or anyone on SVU? I don't think so.

4 hours ago, balmz said:

huh tv tropes is usually pretty accurate with their information, maybe it was mentioned in some book like how the reason nora leaving was explained in a book but not on screen

I never 100% believe those types of articles because they’re not always accurate. 

There was only a mention where someone thought Fontana was dirty because he seemed to be well off/dressed for a homicide detective. It might have been Green who said it to VanBuren.

As for Nora leaving, she was always going to be a temporary fill-in after Steven Hill left. I don’t need an explanation for why everyone left-just those that were there for a long time. There was a throwaway line that Fontana retired to explain him being gone and I suspect it was due Dennis Farina being well known. Because I didn’t and don’t care, I don’t remember if Cassady being shown the door was given a reason.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

AHA! It was in Shambala’s first appearance in “Subterranean Homeboy Blues” where Stone said “Do you have any other personal grievances to air before Shambala Green hands us our asses on a silver platter?” to Max, because Max had discovered one of the victims-Jones-who had died, had a long rap sheet and wasn’t “squeaky clean” plus hearing about his daughter getting roughed up at school. So he did a 180 and thought Di Biasi had every right to shoot.

Whatever. I was totally Team Stone in this and didn’t care that just because the two punks had records, that in any way make what she did, any less of a crime. If she truly believed she was in danger, then why throw the gun away? Why run away if it was self defense? What if it happened again? Would she continue to buy guns illegally and throw them away after shooting someone?

And then she’s all whimpering and crying when they put her in jail.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If [di Biasi] truly believed she was in danger, then why throw the gun away? Why run away if it was self defense? What if it happened again? Would she continue to buy guns illegally and throw them away after shooting someone?

My understanding is that she bought the gun because she had been attacked before, and then, after she used the gun, she became afraid that she would be prosecuted. NYC wasn't so safe at the time this was written. It's based on this case: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My understanding is that she bought the gun because she had been attacked before, and then, after she used the gun, she became afraid that she would be prosecuted. NYC wasn't so safe at the time this was written. It's based on this case: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting

Oh I know the case was based on Goetz. And I know that she was attacked before. My point is, she had a valid case for self-defense, but she just ran, threw the gun away and what? Hoped it would turn into a cold case? What about the next time? And the time after that?

Regarding Fontana, there was one mention of his grandfather I think being “the original chef (insert name here)” I’ll keep my eyes open for it when Fontana’s episodes come on again, but I do recall this mention, which could explain Fontana’s money. 

On 9/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Arthur is something of a polarizing character, but I kind of like him, I dislike his politics and how he would often bring in his politics into the discussion about their cases, but he had his good moments, and he added a spark back into the DA’s scenes that was sorely missing with Nora, say what you want about Arthur, but he was a colorful guy who had personality. He wasn’t nearly as great as Schiff, but he was far better than Nora.

It's so interesting.  If you've seen Dianne Wiest in Parenthood, Bullets over Broadway or Hannah and Her Sisters (with Sam Waterston as a jerk who ditches her for her best friend), she has a biting wit, good comedic timing and can bring real passion to a role.  With Law and Order, it was like she did not want to be there, had a fetish for Mao jackets and could barely emote.  Maybe the role was too limiting given the tight strictures of the show, but she really did nothing with it.  

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 8
On 9/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, txhorns79 said:

It's so interesting.  If you've seen Dianne Wiest in Parenthood, Bullets over Broadway or Hannah and Her Sisters (with Sam Waterston as a jerk who ditches her for her best friend), she has a biting wit, good comedic timing and can bring real passion to a role.  With Law and Order, it was like she did not want to be there, had a fetish for Mao jackets and could barely emote.  Maybe the role was too limiting given the tight strictures of the show, but she really did nothing with it.  

I don't think that it was a matter of the acting as much as the writing though. When they actually gave her something to work with, which was rare, she shined. For instance the exchange in "Missing":

By the way, I heard your own history with your assistants came up.
I married her, Nora!
Yeah. Wasn't just the one though, was it, Jack?

Or confronting the starstruck judge putting his thumb on the scales of justice in "Dissonance":

Judge: You need to understand that when it comes to trying someone for murder, particularly someone like Carl Reger, who's given so much to the city, that Jack McCoy doesn't get a free one.
Nora: And you need to understand that veiled threats disguised as friendly advice sound an awful lot like judicial bias. Especially when delivered ex parte.

Judge: First off, I don't have to justify my decisions to you. Second, that sound you hear is the ice cracking underneath your feet.
Lewin: With all due respect, your honor, you weigh more than I do. I request that you recuse yourself from the case of the People vs Reger.
Judge: Request denied.
Lewin: Then you can explain yourself to the grievance board.
Judge: You file a complaint against me then your ADAs will never get to first base inside my courtroom. Based strictly on the merits of their cases.
Lewin: If you threaten me again I'll report this conversation and our last conversation to the presiding judge of the appellate division. And if you step over the line in court just once, I'll take you down and you won't get up again.

I think the problem was that they so rarely wrote those moments, trying to avoid her being too similar to Schiff. Instead they tried to make her as different as possible by being worried only about the ethics and the big picture. They totally forgot that she was supposed to be a hard nosed federal prosecutor before she became a law professor. When you spend most of your time on screen paraphrasing Legal Ethics textbooks and analyzing both sides of every case even handedly it's hard to do much with the role. Maybe she should have just done her own thing and created a personality for the character if the writers' couldn't be bothered, but even the best performer can't salvage a role if the writers never figure out a direction.

Edited by wknt3
fixed formatting
  • Love 8
On 9/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, ML89 said:

I don’t remember that, I’m not sure they ever explained it. Although Bernard took over from Fontana in the “check the quality of the dead guy’s suit” department. 

"Don't worry, we're authorized." 😂

• Love 5
On 9/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, wknt3 said:

Instead they tried to make her as different as possible by being worried only about the ethics and the big picture.

She also had the flowered lady drapes in her office so we would know a woman was working there. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I saw Surrender Dorothy today, an outstanding episode, Harlan Graham was loathsome IMO, a master manipulator, I was glad the jury didn’t buy his story about killing Dorothy and convicted him of manslaughter. McCoy’s closing argument was really strong, I liked how he laid out all the evidence pointing to suicide and pointed out Graham’s manipulations. I also liked Skoda breaking down Graham’s unethical actions, and I liked that he was there when they talked to Graham’s daughter and convinced her to turn against her father. One of my favorite Briscoe one liners when he was arresting Graham “take your own advice doc, surrender with love”. Great episode. 

• Love 4

5.16 "Wannabe" aired today on Bounce, with a not-so-evil youth killer:

The murder of an admissions board member for a prestigious prep school is connected to the expulsion of a subway worker's son. But a false confession and a school cover-up make prosecuting the responsible parties difficult.

I appreciated the way the camera zoomed in on the face of the impoverished kid at the end of the episode after he confessed rather than having his father go to prison because of a false confession, and the son also refused to "rat" out the rich young accomplice who had goaded him into shooting the gun that killed the victim (which would have given him a lighter sentence). FWIW, the victim was a snobby parent who didn't think the poor kid deserved to be in the private school on scholarship.

Normally I have no patience for anyone who doesn't want to "snitch" or "rat" on someone who is a dangerous criminal, but in this story, if the economically disadvantaged kid had snitched, the rich kid's parents would have paid for a cadillac lawyer and the poor kid would have just looked like a murderer who was trying to avoid taking responsibility. Instead, poor kid was more of a hero because he refused to let his father take the blame, whereas the kid who masterminded the killing had to live with his own guilt. I'm not explaining it very well, but the look on the kids' faces told a story. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

5.16 "Wannabe" aired today on Bounce, with a not-so-evil youth killer:

I appreciated the way the camera zoomed in on the face of the impoverished kid at the end of the episode after he confessed rather than having his father go to prison because of a false confession, and the son also refused to "rat" out the rich young accomplice who had goaded him into shooting the gun that killed the victim (which would have given him a lighter sentence). FWIW, the victim was a snobby parent who didn't think the poor kid deserved to be in the private school on scholarship.

Normally I have no patience for anyone who doesn't want to "snitch" or "rat" on someone who is a dangerous criminal, but in this story, if the economically disadvantaged kid had snitched, the rich kid's parents would have paid for a cadillac lawyer and the poor kid would have just looked like a murderer who was trying to avoid taking responsibility. Instead, poor kid was more of a hero because he refused to let his father take the blame, whereas the kid who masterminded the killing had to live with his own guilt. I'm not explaining it very well, but the look on the kids' faces told a story. 

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I had no patience for either boy in that episode. They were both killers, and just because the poor one refused to snitch, it didn't make him a hero. Not by a fucking long shot. He's still a killer, and his dad was an accomplice after the fact.

And just because the victim was a "snobby parent" didn't mean he deserved to die. Neither did his family deserve to go through that -- and on his young daughter's birthday. Poor kid was probably was scarred for life.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I had no patience for either boy in that episode. They were both killers, and just because the poor one refused to snitch, it didn't make him a hero. Not by a fucking long shot. He's still a killer, and his dad was an accomplice after the fact.

And just because the victim was a "snobby parent" didn't mean he deserved to die. Neither did his family deserve to go through that -- and on his young daughter's birthday. Poor kid was probably was scarred for life.

Agree. And look at the title-poor boy didn’t snitch cuz he was a wannabe, and that still didn’t convince the other rich one to step up and admit he was also guilty.

The only thing I liked about this episode was Mike flipping the cap of one kid’s head and Jack telling the moron that “Detective Logan was also a Mick.”😂😂😂

And Sundance continues to prove what wusses they are. Bleeping out “ass” and the N-Word making the scene less emotional in ”In The Half Light” when Paul gives Eaton the smack down, After Eaton used the word and tried to act like he was King by using his words.😒😒

• Love 3

What cracks me up is the kid in Wannabe is also the killer in the one with kids the season before, "Born Bad." I wonder if the kid is still acting.... one of the L&O repeat offenders.

20 hours ago, ML89 said:

What cracks me up is the kid in Wannabe is also the killer in the one with kids the season before, "Born Bad." I wonder if the kid is still acting.... one of the L&O repeat offenders.

No he isn’t. Graham Sack played the killer in “Wannabe” and that’s the only episode he appeared in on this show. He’s not credited at all in “Born Bad.”

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No he isn’t. Graham Sack played the killer in “Wannabe” and that’s the only episode he appeared in on this show. He’s not credited at all in “Born Bad.”

Whoa, then they are a close match then, I could swear it was the same kid....thanks!

Some young killers that were particularly evil were the killers from Boy on Fire, who murdered the student from the charter school and set him on fire because of their beef with the school and jealousy over the girl he was with and over the little brother of one of the killers wanting to go to the charter school, they then gang raped the girl to keep her silent. They were a vicious group of killers IMO, it was said at the end they were all pleading guilty to murder and rape, I hope they all got long prison sentences.

• Love 2

In terms of evil, I'm thinking of Amanda Peet's character from Hot Pursuit, who went on a criminal rampage with her boyfriend, then pretended she was his hostage after he was killed by police.  

Also, Ellen Pompeo's character from Savoir who murders her mother, sister and brother, and nearly lets her father take the fall.  She was cold blooded and pure evil. 

• Love 5
On 9/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, txhorns79 said:

Also, Ellen Pompeo's character from Savoir who murders her mother, sister and brother, and nearly lets her father take the fall.  She was cold blooded and pure evil. 

Ellen Pompeo's other appearance as a bargain-basement Karla Homolka in "Fools For Love" from Season 10 was pretty warped, too. Big time. Her sister is dead, along with a foreign exchange pal of the sister's that EP's character's sicko boyfriend raped - after the sick bitch drugged them. Then proceeded to worry if she would get her emerald bracelet back!

I loved how McCoy played her allocution and managed to extricate himself from the plea deal she had.

• Love 7

The good thing about letting episodes just queue up on my DVR is that I was able to watch Season Three's "Conspiracy" and the lame ass follow up to it in Season Seven's "Entrapment." I will admit I was disappointed to find that my favorite L&O writers, René Balcer and Ed Sweren wrote the latter. First, that they recast Joe Morton's Books. And a terrible recast at that. Morton's Books wasn't one who said "You can't keep a brotha down" or whatever his recast said about "a Sistah." He might as well have been a different character. For some reason, I thought more than four years had passed between the episodes. Like 10. Schiff was the only character that was featured in both. At least Mike got a positive shout out, instead of being crapped on.

Plus, Joe Morton's Books was so smooth and sophisticated. None of that suave or smooth was apparent in the recast. I know that they talked about Ottis, but can't recall if one of the henchman hovering over fake!Books was a recast Ottis as well.

Usually, the show can get the same actors. I wonder why they had to recast for this follow up. Not only that, but no one was MURDERED! I felt...cheated.😜

• Love 4

I just rewatched one of my favorite episodes, Shadow.  Jamie’s fellow ADA buddy, the seemingly goofy and harmless family man Charlie Harmon, not only reveals himself to have been involved in a crooked fixing of cases with a corrupt lawyer, but worse, Charlie was the killer of the bondsman who tried to get in on the act.    When she manages to get his conviction after finding out his wife’s involvement in the payoffs, she clearly feels torn despite knowing she did the right thing.  This kind of complexity is why I really liked Jamie’s character played by Carey Lowell, she was my favorite ADA at least until Linus Roche as Mike Cutter.

• Love 7
On 7/31/2019 at 11:53 AM, balmz said:

here's a another discussion question, who are some of the most evil non main perp characters in the series you can remember?

Again I come back to Ritual, where I found the victim and the grandmother who both wanted to mutilate the killer’s daughter to be far more loathsome than the killer. 

I found the rich bitch in Darwinian more unlikable than the homeless man who assaulted the victim and caused the injury that led to his death. I agreed with the jury convicting the homeless for manslaughter, he deserved to go to prison, but so did the rich bitch who heard the victim moaning and did nothing. 

In Hot Pursuit, I’m not sure who you consider the main perp to be since Trapp and Leslie committed the murders together, Leslie was the focus of the second half because Trapp was dead but Trapp was more evil IMO.

• Fire 1
  • Love 3
On 7/31/2019 at 11:53 AM, balmz said:

here's a another discussion question, who are some of the most evil non main perp characters in the series you can remember?

From ones I've watched recently:

The father/grandfather in Cost of Capital, for what he did to his daughter and granddaughter (and his general smugness about it all).

The ex-wife in Home Sweet was pretty bad, too, caring more about the money she was getting than the little girl who died.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

The father/grandfather in Cost of Capital, for what he did to his daughter and granddaughter (and his general smugness about it all).

The ex-wife in Home Sweet was pretty bad, too, caring more about the money she was getting than the little girl who died.

I thought of Andrew Keener from Cost of Capital as well, he was an evil bastard, I’m not sure who was worse, him or his daughter. Fuck that doctor who covered up for his crimes as well. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I thought of Andrew Keener from Cost of Capital as well, he was an evil bastard, I’m not sure who was worse, him or his daughter. Fuck that doctor who covered up for his crimes as well. 

Oh right, wasn't even thinking of the doctor. Agreed on him, too.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I always hoped they looked into the doctor given he covered up the comes and is 'tude when they questioned him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done the same thing.

• Love 3
On October 6, 2019 at 6:56 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Definitely. I know the ex-husband framed her and it was his reckless indifference that got the girl killed, but this bitch had no empathy whatsoever for the dead girl or her family. Word of advice: when you're trying to convince people that you're innocent, it would be helpful to muster up some kind of sympathetic response or condolence. Something like "What happened to that girl was terrible, and even though I didn't do it, I'm still so sorry." That would have been nice.

• Love 3

Season 17 really is pretty terrible (save a couple decent episodes). Sort of blasting my way through it now. It seems much more glaring in its "ripped from the headlines"-ness. And too focused on celebrities. I don't think I watched much of 18-20 at the time they were on--they're better though, right? Not that it's a particularly high bar to cross...

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

I don't think I watched much of 18-20 at the time they were on--they're better though, right? Not that it's a particularly high bar to cross...

18 to 20 are much better - I was upset when they got cancelled since they were just hitting a good stride. 

• Love 6

I was really surprised how much better season 18 was. Season 17 was so bad I really thought about quitting but season 18 won be back. I really didn't expect that especially with new characters being brought on. I really didn't have much expectations for either new characters. I hated Cassidy and hated Serena for so long. While I started out liking Borgia I got sick of her. I was really surprised at how much I liked the new characters and the shake up with McCoy now the AD that was worth it alone for McCoy's comment on now knowing why Adam was so grumpy. Season 18 was really good, so was 19 and 20. It really could have gone a little longer. And maybe we could have seen Jamie Ross, as a Judge.

• Love 3
Just now, WendyCR72 said:

Technically, we did. If one watched Law & Order: Trial By Jury, anyway.

I know and I did. I actually did like the show mostly because of Bebe Neuwirth, Candice Bergen and seeing Jamie as a Judge. But it would have been cool to see her as Judge on the regular Law & Order especially after it was canceled. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

I know and I did. I actually did like the show mostly because of Bebe Neuwirth, Candice Bergen and seeing Jamie as a Judge. But it would have been cool to see her as Judge on the regular Law & Order especially after it was canceled. 

Ah, gotcha. And, yeah, it would have been nice. I often wondered why Carey Lowell left the (original) show since she seemed to sort of recur in the franchise later on.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

OK, thanks, all! I'll push on through then. I'm on E14, "Church." Cassidy has become slightly more tolerable. I do like Rubirosa--she stays on for a bit, right?

She stays on until the end. Then ends up on Law & Order LA after the original Law & Order was canceled.

• Love 2
Just now, andromeda331 said:

She stays on until the end. Then ends up on Law & Order LA after the original Law & Order was canceled.

Only for the last half because they thought it would prevent the show, LOLA (Hee! That will never NOT be funny!) from being cancelled.

• Love 3