Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man Standing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, Aryanna said:

Watching reruns of HI I always feel like Jill was mean and antagonistic toward Tim. Especially when her and her friends would gang up on Tim and make fun of him. Mike and Vanessa seem to have more of a teamwork relationship and act like they really like each other. Mike doesn't always have to be the heavy or the bad guy because Vanessa will take that on if she feels strongly about something. They seem like a more realistic couple.

My son loves LMS. I think it's more Tim Allen. I've always liked him, despite his current political leaning. I never felt that LMS was ham handed. There was always a liberal argument (usually Vanessa, Kristin and of course, Ryan) to balance out Mike and Eve's more conservative ones. 

Back to the subject at hand. I totally agree that Jill Taylor was border line MEAN to her husband. Yeah, Tim Taylor was portrayed as a constant screw up, more so than Mike Baxter is. But both Jill Taylor and Debra Barone both annoyed me because of their harping meanness, Debra more than Jill, I think. 

Mike and Vanessa have more of an equal, enjoyable partnership. Vanessa will screw up one week, and Mike the next. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

ill Taylor and Debra Barone both annoyed me because of their harping meanness, Debra more than Jill, I think. 

On the occasions that I watch an old Raymond, I'm amazed at the disdain I have for the show...all of it.  Debra was awful!  Amazing how culture shifts and personal growth can change your view of something you thought you liked.  Same with King Of Queens. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

My son loves LMS. I think it's more Tim Allen. I've always liked him, despite his current political leaning. I never felt that LMS was ham handed. There was always a liberal argument (usually Vanessa, Kristin and of course, Ryan) to balance out Mike and Eve's more conservative ones. 

Back to the subject at hand. I totally agree that Jill Taylor was border line MEAN to her husband. Yeah, Tim Taylor was portrayed as a constant screw up, more so than Mike Baxter is. But both Jill Taylor and Debra Barone both annoyed me because of their harping meanness, Debra more than Jill, I think. 

Mike and Vanessa have more of an equal, enjoyable partnership. Vanessa will screw up one week, and Mike the next. 

The only problem is, they have really put Vanessa to the point she is brain dead at times. They like to throw her PhD in her face and yes, I have a doctorate too, but at times I wanted to go: "how are we to take this seriously she was ever ANY type of doctor?" But shows do that, great examples of Jill and Debra, characters that made sense EARLY on, but then turn into bitter, I'm always right and you are wrong and into their parents/inlaws they talked in the series of NEVER becoming and do. Of course after meeting Vanessa's mother and sister you just want to go: "What family did you come from? Are you adopted?" 

• Love 1

I generally enjoyed this most recent episode.  Laughed at Kyle's godfather impression.  However, when the exchange student walked in and was worried and asked if they were going to send her back to Hong Kong, I kept hoping that Mike was going to say "yes."  Sigh.  Not to be.  

I think they should buy out her contract and release her as the story line pretty much stops when she has a line or enters the scene.  

21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I generally enjoyed this most recent episode.  Laughed at Kyle's godfather impression.  However, when the exchange student walked in and was worried and asked if they were going to send her back to Hong Kong, I kept hoping that Mike was going to say "yes."  Sigh.  Not to be.  

I think they should buy out her contract and release her as the story line pretty much stops when she has a line or enters the scene.  

Legally and academically, she is SUPPOSE to be going back to Hong Kong. If the writers and producers were "smart" they would just say: "The exchange is that you graduate THIS YEAR and then you head home." To wrap it up in a logical way since they are so hell bent on keeping a character, the audience and critics really don't like. In fact, even the writers show they DON'T know what to do with her character. Trying to make her Vanessa's Eve is not only stupid, it's insulting.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

On the occasions that I watch an old Raymond, I'm amazed at the disdain I have for the show...all of it.  Debra was awful!  Amazing how culture shifts and personal growth can change your view of something you thought you liked.  Same with King Of Queens. 

I actually though Ray was awful. He was a mama's boy, he'd avoid any kind of conflict, usually making things more difficult for Debra. He seemed unreasonably stupid for a guy who was supposed to be an award winning writer. On King of Queens, Doug and Carrie seemed like equally awful people.

Most of the LMS characters don't have horrible personality traits, but they're always just a little less wise and quick-witted than Mike Baxter.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ketose said:

I actually though Ray was awful. He was a mama's boy, he'd avoid any kind of conflict, usually making things more difficult for Debra. He seemed unreasonably stupid for a guy who was supposed to be an award winning writer. On King of Queens, Doug and Carrie seemed like equally awful people.

Most of the LMS characters don't have horrible personality traits, but they're always just a little less wise and quick-witted than Mike Baxter.

You're correct; Ray was awful, just in other ways.  His awfulness wasn't mean-spirited typically, he was just a complete dolt, or "idiot" as Debra liked to say.  

If you think about it, many/most sitcoms contrast a 'smarter/wiser' character against less-so everyone else.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Had to delete this from my dvr because of his political standing, which knocked him down a pet or 500 in my eyes,  but I will occasionally watch. Really not a good show. Jay Leno is horrible, the exchange student is horrible. Well, most of the actors can't act (the blonde bimbo-boy son in law is borderline , well low IQ to put it nicely.)but I find I have to check in on occasion. I love their kitchen set up. Definitely a show about moneyed people and that just makes me feel bad about myself! 

The women harpie wives was a big thing a few years ago. My husband stopped watching sitcoms with because he said the husbands were all pu**y whipped. And it was true.  Deb Baron, Jill Taylor, Carrie Heffernon, and so forth. 

• Love 2

So, the exchange student gets to be a bridesmaid for the grandmother of the Baxter daughters?  Stop trying so hard to make fetch happen.

I wondered where Vanessa's sister was or why there wasn't a mention of her.  If the budget doesn't allow the actress to return,just a quick off-hand comment would work.  But at least acknowledge her.

Just a so-so episode for me.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, the exchange student gets to be a bridesmaid for the grandmother of the Baxter daughters?  Stop trying so hard to make fetch happen.

I wondered where Vanessa's sister was or why there wasn't a mention of her.  If the budget doesn't allow the actress to return,just a quick off-hand comment would work.  But at least acknowledge her.

Just a so-so episode for me.

I know because seriously, even though they are stretching credibility how the exchange student is still there a year later. The grandmother DOESN'T know her! Even more, she has three other grand daughters and yes, Eve is in the air force and the same just an off handed remark on the sister can't make it. The only people who care about the exchange student are the writers and producers. The chemistry is also off with the actors, even Nancy Travis has this: "well, we have to work together" vibe now going.

• Love 2

Great, now Cousin Oliver will be going to college and staying forever instead of returning home.  Who's paying for this college education, the Baxters?    I can't stand the kid.   She's mouthy and annoying and I mute or ff when she's on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Great, now Cousin Oliver will be going to college and staying forever instead of returning home.  Who's paying for this college education, the Baxters?    I can't stand the kid.   She's mouthy and annoying and I mute or ff when she's on.

I can't decide which I like least; the character or the actor

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Suzysite said:

It's pretty obvious she is the Second Coming of Eve. They are giving her all Eve's lines.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, eel21788 said:

It's pretty obvious she is the Second Coming of Eve. They are giving her all Eve's lines.

That's the problem, they are trying to turn her into Eve. Eve more, they want her to be "Vanessa's Eve". The problem was, up until they had Eve leave for the airforce. Eve had gotten very vindictive towards Vanessa. Now, they think having Jen do the same and do it towards Mike, works? I'm sorry, but from what we have seen of Mike Baxter since season 2. He would have sent her packing for the attitude she is giving him. Plus, the things she says and does. So, the writers are like: "You hate her, but we don't and now we have the perfect way to keep her around." Ratings are dropping due to the time slot and the fact, NO ONE LIKES the character but the producers/writers of the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

It might help if people go to the source and tell the network or the show runners to dump Cousin Oliver.   They are under the illusion that everything is great.    I got on their Twitter page and said something.

LMS Twitter page

Yeah, and hormonal pregnant woman. Such an original plot too? *eye roll*

• Love 1

Ok. I did not understand the problem of the Feb 20th episode. So because Vanessa is running for council, Jen cant hold a bake sale outside on the sidewalk of a legal marijuana dispensary in Colorado.....but it will be perfectly Ok  for:

1)Vanessa son-in-law and father of her 2 grandchildren to own and run it.

2) that the pot shop was built and started by her father-in-law 

3)that another daughter and son-in law live in an apartment above the pot shop.

I dont get it..like the show said she was doing nothing wrong..and neither are the others. I just dont know why only one of these was said to  possibly hurt Vanessa's image.

Like others I am not a fan of the Jen character. Nothing against the  beautiful actress playing her , it's just hard seeing her as this young high school girl when the actress will be 32 this year and graduated Carnegie Mellon University in 2011. In comparison IRL Eve is 23, Mandy is 28, Kyle 31, Ryan is 33 and Kristen is 35.  I know it's common to have adult actors playing teenagers but this one bothers me for some reason.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Poohbear617 said:

Ok. I did not understand the problem of the Feb 20th episode. So because Vanessa is running for council, Jen cant hold a bake sale outside on the sidewalk of a legal marijuana dispensary in Colorado.....but it will be perfectly Ok  for:

I dont get it..like the show said she was doing nothing wrong..and neither are the others. I just dont know why only one of these was said to  possibly hurt Vanessa's image.

Like others I am not a fan of the Jen character. Nothing against the  beautiful actress playing her , it's just hard seeing her as this young high school girl when the actress will be 32 this year and graduated Carnegie Mellon University in 2011. In comparison IRL Eve is 23, Mandy is 28, Kyle 31, Ryan is 33 and Kristen is 35.  I know it's common to have adult actors playing teenagers but this one bothers me for some reason.

The only problem is that Jen is under legal guardianship of the Baxters, and despite legal marijuana in Colorado, the Exchange Program would send her packing because of handing that. As they say: "Just because a state is doing something legal, doesn't mean others still view it as wrong." 

2 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I didn't see the episode, but marijuana is still technically illegal federally.  Plus, I'm assuming Jen is a minor.  Was she just having a regular bake sale or a "special" bake sale?  That would be illegal because even though in front of the store, she would be legal to sell it. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't see the episode, but marijuana is still technically illegal federally.  Plus, I'm assuming Jen is a minor.  Was she just having a regular bake sale or a "special" bake sale?  That would be illegal because even though in front of the store, she would be legal to sell it. 

That's where the confusion was. They had it where SOMEONE was trying to make Vanessa look bad. So, "special bake sale" instead of just a plain bake sale for the school. It also made Ryan look even more stupid. Since he should have been: "Well, hole on a second Jen, you might not want to sell this here." "Go to ODM where everything would be fine." Or even more where Vanessa should have said: "Jen, that's not the place to do it." Plus, the school would also "know better" but once again. A TV showing that people who work at schools are just morons. You have to "approve" where a bake sale happens for any organization. Ryan and Kristin going: "Oh sure not problem." However, the school would have been: "Wait, bake sale, in front of a legal marijuana store for a state approved organization, hold on a second!"  

Not just a set of cheap jokes designed to make everyone look stupid and more reason they should dump the exchange student. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, readster said:

Or even more where Vanessa should have said: "Jen, that's not the place to do it."

Actually, it kind of is the place to do it.  Where better to find people with the munchies:)

10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Actually, it kind of is the place to do it.  Where better to find people with the munchies:)

No disagreement there, but really, all they needed was a signed that said: "School only, not associated with Bud's Buds."

21 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yeah, I find the Jen character annoying, but blond, VERY TALL Mandy is still something that I just can't wrap my head around. 

Yes, the original Mandy is so much better.  This Mandy just seems angry. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Yes, the original Mandy is so much better.  This Mandy just seems angry. 

Not only angry, but at times never seems to really enjoy being around anyone. Hell her and Kyle don't mix either. Seriously, the show is just so off.

• Love 3

Just shut UP! About "big ass bass". Just stop! Also, Jen, I know you are telling people to "show some love for Jen" on your social media from Twitter to Instagram... but get this! NO ONE LIKES YOUR CHARACTER! Not fans, not critics, but here is the thing. TPTB love your ass, so stop worrying about being out of a job. IF you think that all the "hate mail" is going to get you fired from the show, then just LEAVE! It isn't like you don't have other job offers right now from Marvel Films and you have TWO movies coming out in the next year. I think you are fine job wise right now. Even more the way LMS is going with ratings, next year will probably be it for the show.

• Love 1

As much as I dislike Jen - and I actually mute the TV when she's on - and haven't gelled with NuMandy, I think the writing is the big stinker here.    Watch the older episodes in comparison with the resurrected version.   It used to be funny, witty, fun to watch.   Now it's just... tell lame stale sitcom joke, wait for laugh track, repeat.   Even the actors are overacting and shouting their lines to compensate for the horrid writing.   I don't know if the original writers all had other jobs or what, but this bunch is terrible.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

As much as I dislike Jen - and I actually mute the TV when she's on - and haven't gelled with NuMandy, I think the writing is the big stinker here.    Watch the older episodes in comparison with the resurrected version.   It used to be funny, witty, fun to watch.   Now it's just... tell lame stale sitcom joke, wait for laugh track, repeat.   Even the actors are overacting and shouting their lines to compensate for the horrid writing.   I don't know if the original writers all had other jobs or what, but this bunch is terrible.  

The past year, the writing has gotten very, very bad, even revealed they have a lot of new writers. Apparently ones that just got out of high school the way the jokes are written. The show is just SO BAD now. They keep trying to "change the show" yet try to keep it the same. It's no longer about Mike being the last man standing in a house of women and feeling his business model had to change, when he believed it worked fine. 

Now, they are trying to make it Home Improvement without the tools. I mean, Mike is opening a car show with Jay Leno (because of reasons). Kyle all of a sudden after getting promoted, married, trying to get a house built wants to become a pastor? Mandy who was: "I'm too young to be a mom." All of a sudden sees Kristin gets pregnant again and then is jealous and of course.. "they have issues" getting pregnant now. Vanessa if you shined a flash light in her ear you see the light come out the other end. Ryan and Kristin are having a baby again, so let's just ignore Boyd. You know the kid they have already and have FORCED us with three different child actors to care? 

Let's not even start with Jen, critics, fans and watchers are all saying: "Would you just get rid of her!"

• Love 2
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am at the point where I only watch the episodes with Jay Leno in them.   I think the series would be so much better with just Mike, Chuck, and Joe. 

Yeah, no kidding. Then at least the title of the show would still make sense. 

• Love 3

I think it'd make sense to have the series mostly take place at Outdoor Man now.  Most the characters work there already - Mike, Chuck, Ed, Kyle, Kristen, Joe and the remaining characters are all tied to them so it would make sense to see them stop by (especially in tvland where popping by friends' and family's workplace is very common).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Why is Tim Allen mouthing the other actor's lines? It was very noticeable during the scene with Leno in the chili cook off episode.

I've always seen the character of Vanessa as a throw away. That the actress has been ok with the writing for that character is troublesome. It really hit home with her views during the presidential election, when she advocated voting for a women regardless of her political views, just because she was a women. She even asked Chuck to support her views by assuming he had voted for Obama just because of the color of his skin.

Vanessa comes across as a simple minded moron.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Why is Tim Allen mouthing the other actor's lines? It was very noticeable during the scene with Leno in the chili cook off episode.

I've always seen the character of Vanessa as a throw away. That the actress has been ok with the writing for that character is troublesome. It really hit home with her views during the presidential election, when she advocated voting for a women regardless of her political views, just because she was a women. She even asked Chuck to support her views by assuming he had voted for Obama just because of the color of his skin.

Vanessa comes across as a simple minded moron.

Oh, but Vanessa has a PhD... as in Dimwit of Philosophy 

17 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I've always seen the character of Vanessa as a throw away. That the actress has been ok with the writing for that character is troublesome. 

I've never thought of Nancy Travis as much of an actress. I didn't start watching this show until the middle of season two because I wasn't interested in watching a show she was on. I must have been particularly bored the night I finally decided to watch. It was the episode where Eve tries to quit soccer. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I've never thought of Nancy Travis as much of an actress. I didn't start watching this show until the middle of season two because I wasn't interested in watching a show she was on. I must have been particularly bored the night I finally decided to watch. It was the episode where Eve tries to quit soccer. 

Only for them to quickly say that wasn't true and had Eve the next episode going: "Baxters never get up!" Followed by Eve looking down on her other sisters for "not being athletic" and so forth. They wrote and did this episode and then it was quickly forgotten to the point they tried to write it off like it was a dream from Eve. Yet, they revisited it when she didn't get into Westport and then that "gap year" crap. That went back and forth from: "Eve is a great singer" to "Even just sucks and she should get over herself." Then more on the actress wanting to do other things, they had her join the air force when critics and fans were going: "You could have done that the moment you didn't get into Westport." Yet, they acted like Eve's life was over. I think Molly after the "gap year" got sick of the writing and since then is doing various other projects, meanwhile Nancy Travis is: "I have two more kids to put through school, I NEED a paycheck." 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:58 PM, eel21788 said:

Jen was so bad in last night's episode (her graduation), Nancy Travis is no longer gets the Worst Actress Ever award. I really wish they had just recast Eve and never brought Jen in at all.          

• Love 2
8 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Jen was so bad in last night's episode (her graduation), Nancy Travis is no longer gets the Worst Actress Ever award. I really wish they had just recast Eve and never brought Jen in at all.          

Yet, they want to keep Jen on the show. JUST WHY? Seriously writers, she SUCKS! The character, the actress, the story line. You DON'T NEED HER!

• Useful 1

Interesting they end on a cliffhanger and the show won't be back until the fall. Since Fox is going to give the show a season 9. Even more funny is they lead to Kristen having the baby and Boyd was only in 1 episode the entire season. Still, Ryan has pretty much proven to be a big of a baby himself. Good luck Kristen, let's see how well you can raise: a man child, 13 year old and a new baby. 

On 4/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, ShortyMac said:

The plot with the recording was so stupid. 

It was stupid.  I'm going to agree that the writing is not as good as it used to be.  No amount of acting would have made this plot work.  I did like this week's episode better.  It was fun to see how everybody was setting up Ryan at the end.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, realdancemom said:

It was stupid.  I'm going to agree that the writing is not as good as it used to be.  No amount of acting would have made this plot work.  I did like this week's episode better.  It was fun to see how everybody was setting up Ryan at the end.

Shows how much everyone pretty what ever thinks about Ryan. Sometimes I don't get why no one tells them: "This story will not work no matter what you do." With something like the recording. I mean it's pretty much a given that there will be a season 9, but with the ratings and everyone, but the producers/writers on the "We hate Jen" train. It's time to really put this show to bed.

I'm starting to think Boyd has been Chuck Cunningham'd (or to get more modern, Roscoe'd*). He hasn't been on or mentioned for the longest time and Kristin seems to come off like this is her first pregnancy; you'd think there would have been at least one mention of how this pregnancy is different than the last one, especially considering how young she was the first time.

*From Mom

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I'm starting to think Boyd has been Chuck Cunningham'd (or to get more modern, Roscoe'd*). He hasn't been on or mentioned for the longest time and Kristin seems to come off like this is her first pregnancy; you'd think there would have been at least one mention of how this pregnancy is different than the last one, especially considering how young she was the first time.

*From Mom

That's exactly it. Plus since season 2 they have thrown Boyd in everyone's face no matter how bad the actors playing him were. They finally got a kid actor who actually acts like a normal kid and then they decide to completely ignore him and go: "We have a new baby now, thanks to Amanda's real life pregnancy." They treated the story more of Amanda Fuller's life than the character and that right there messed things up too. Even when they did they cliche "pregnant mood swings/cravings". Everyone acted like they didn't see it before or went: "You didn't act like this when you were 17 and pregnant." 

The writers even gave feedback they didn't want to make Kirsten pregnant again since they "felt" it would be too hard on Fuller since she was faced with constant problems getting pregnant. Then as soon as it happened it was: "Oh, now we can do all these stories." Then they regulated them to cliche crap and then ignoring kid #1. Just like they did with Ben on Friends when Rachel was pregnant with Emma and even afterwards. It's stupid. 

• Love 1

So now that Mandy's pregnant, I wonder if next season will end up being the last one (assuming it won't end up getting cancelled a second time). Unless they end up doing like they did in the first season with Boyd as a baby, I don't know if I want to see the show become Last Baby Standing.

• Love 3
On 4/13/2020 at 11:24 AM, iHateAmpersands said:

*From Mom

They finally said that Ryan is giving them their second grandchild.  However, I do agree that they let the new actor go since he hasn't appeared all season.  Since Eve has aged out, they could have easily used the new Boyd instead of Jen.

• Love 3
On 4/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, realdancemom said:

They finally said that Ryan is giving them their second grandchild.  However, I do agree that they let the new actor go since he hasn't appeared all season.  Since Eve has aged out, they could have easily used the new Boyd instead of Jen.

Yes on this, especially when the new Boyd was a better actor than Nu-Mandy. The way things are, sounds like Vanessa is going to be: "Yeah, new grand babies, wahoo!" At this point and if Boyd magically disappears, I guess we are just too except it. However, it seems the actor who played Boyd has not signed too reappear, so guess we will get Boyd IV if the writers want to actually care that Kristin and Ryan you know had him since they completely ignored him ALL season. 

Last night, Ryan said something like "I wasn't here when Kristin gave birth the first time...".  I found it odd that he did say "I wasn't here when Boyd was born."  They're doing everything possible to dehumanize the character for some reason.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Last night, Ryan said something like "I wasn't here when Kristin gave birth the first time...".  I found it odd that he did say "I wasn't here when Boyd was born."  They're doing everything possible to dehumanize the character for some reason.

Ryan has been this character that the writers what to show that he isn't all bad and just made some mistakes when he was younger, but then has a warp view on the world to paint him as a "hippie". Then they make these strides to not only make him a moron, but also to the point you just want to know how Kristin and him really EVER GOT together. Even more why the hell Vanessa defends him, when his not only a joke, but the kind of guy everyone would go: "Get the hell out and never come back."

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, readster said:

Ryan has been this character that the writers what to show that he isn't all bad and just made some mistakes when he was younger, but then has a warp view on the world to paint him as a "hippie". Then they make these strides to not only make him a moron, but also to the point you just want to know how Kristin and him really EVER GOT together. Even more why the hell Vanessa defends him, when his not only a joke, but the kind of guy everyone would go: "Get the hell out and never come back."

Not disagreeing with you, but I was actually referring to them dehumanizing Boyd, lol.  It's not the right word, can't think of the right word.

26 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Not disagreeing with you, but I was actually referring to them dehumanizing Boyd, lol.  It's not the right word, can't think of the right word.

I think you mean: "Forgetting about Boyd". It's Ben/Emma all over again. When they had Ross and Rachel have Emma, they completely ignored that Ben even existed until the final episode. The parents of the triplets who played him got mad they were ignoring Ben in season 9 and then they basically told them: "Get out, Ben who?" Apparently the actor who currently plays Boyd signed up for a new series, so when Last Man Standing return we will either see less Boyd or a fourth actor playing the part.