Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

You would think that CW would tell the Batwoman cast and crew to just go radio silent on this.

He got name checked in her posts that are making the rounds.  I would say something too. It will probably get deleted but at least it will be up long enough to get screencapped and shared. 

Out of all of her allegations, the one that can be verified is the stunt woman who was paralyzed the day before the shut down. I never heard anything about the one that was severely burned and that would have made the press. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Jediknight said:

You would think that CW would tell the Batwoman cast and crew to just go radio silent on this.

Unless they want to do some damage control and/or refute some of RR's statements.

But aslo, as mentioned, she named Camrus specifically, so him speaking up isn't too surprising.

Well, now people are talking: 'Batwoman Crew Member Backs WBTV, Calls Ruby Rose a 'Dictator''

excerpt:

Filmmakers, no matter what position they are on a film set deserve to be treated with respect. That’s how I was taught growing up and in film school, and when I read her article claiming that the production was at fault, it infuriated me because having been there, I don’t wanna stand by and let her badmouth a company that she tried to screw over. No matter how bad your day, you have no right to be cruel. And season 1 was her reign of cruelty.

Batwoman Paley Center panel:

Stars and creatives from The CW's Batwoman (Nick Creegan, Caroline Dries, Robin Givens, Camrus Johnson, Nicole Kang, Javicia Leslie, Rachel Skarsten, and Meagan Tandy) gather on October 3, 2021, with moderator D-Nice to celebrate their show.

Topics include: why cast members, writers, and producers feel that the show's third season has been easier to film than its predecessors; Leslie's feelings on taking over the role of Batwoman in season two; fans' reactions to how the show is "at the forefront of positive representation" for people of color; what made Givens want to be part of the DC Comics universe; the producers' goal to thematically explore mental illness throughout the upcoming season; how Johnson and his stunt-double finally got used to the Batwing suit; and the near-accident that occurred on set when Leslie was driving the Batmobile.

I do believe Ruby when she speaks about the accidents on set and while they are always horrible, it does sadly happen. TWD had a pretty big accident and Alec Baldwins new movie just had a crewmember die from a prop gun misfiring. 

WB/CW definitely should take care of the people it happens to as I think the PA that was paralyzed had to open up a gofundme afterwards to cover their bills.

• Love 1

Honestly, I’m not really sure what’s going to get accomplished. I read that and then popped over to Twitter to see more industry people talking about how awful she is on set. Sounds like it’s going to cancel itself out. Which is sad if it means potentially poor/unsafe working conditions will not be addressed.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 3

I just caught onto this show recently, and then all of this news comes out. I find it humorous that there are multiple accounts of Rose being unbearable to work with, but there's still people on various platforms who say that her accusations are true. 

And she asked for a "no yelling policy?" I'm sorry, but these celebrities would never make it in the real world.

*Sets up flameproof shield for the hate I'll probably get 

2 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I just caught onto this show recently, and then all of this news comes out. I find it humorous that there are multiple accounts of Rose being unbearable to work with, but there's still people on various platforms who say that her accusations are true. 

It's certainly possible that Rose is unbearable to work with AND WB is awful to work for and doesn't care about its stunt people/working conditions/the star of its show AND Dougray Scott is a sexist dudebro who was unbearable to work with.

• Love 1

WB released another statement, specifically defending Dougray Scott.

Notable that they're only refuting certain allegations.

3 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Rose is certainly not the first or only person to take issue with WB and how they treat their talent.

Edited by Trini
d'oh - dropped word

It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. 

I’ve seen a lot of posting about Ruby’s onset behavior since the allegations were made but I haven’t seen anything about Scott. She’s also claiming he is filing a lawsuit against her. If that’s the case, it’s going to get messier.

• Love 2

At DC: 'Becoming Batwoman: Ryan Wilder Shows She's a Hero For Today'

Let’s not forget that season two ends with Kate Kane giving Ryan her blessing to keep the Batwoman suit—officially making her Gotham’s new Batwoman. However, leading up to the exchange between the two, Ryan proved time and time again why she not only deserved to continue as Batwoman but is someone who is an invaluable addition to the Bat-Family.

As we get ready for the new season of Batwoman, let’s look back at some standout episodes from last season that showcased Ryan Wilder, proving she is exactly who should be behind the cowl.  ...

• Love 1

Short video interview: Nick Creegan talks ‘Batwoman’ and his character’s childhood trauma...

From his role on “Law & Order: Organized Crime” and then jetting over to Gotham City for his role on the CW’s “Batwoman,” Creegan is in high demand.

The New York native spoke with the PIX11 Morning News about his fictional family drama on “Batwoman” and how his character Marquis Jet’s childhood trauma is tied to The Joker.

More info at EW about Poison Mary from the showrunner and Nicole Kang:

"I envisioned her character being intrinsically powerful, alluring and seductive, but also dangerous if pushed too far.  It was the combination of beautiful glowy skin, with colors selected to enhance and celebrate Nicole's complexion and structure," said makeup department head Cory Roberts. Hair department head Ashley Young added: "Nicole and I tried multiple wigs in different shades of red till we found the perfect one so that we didn't lose 'Mary' in all the glamour but could reflect her and bring out her Poison Ivy alter ego." 

---

21 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Mary looks great. Dont get me wrong....but I dont need all these 2.0 versions popping up. The show is already a big 2.5.0 itself....Mad Hatter Jr., Croc Jr, Ivy Jr.....yeah.

Sorry; looks like that is the exact theme of the season, according to Dries.

23 hours ago, Trini said:

More info at EW about Poison Mary from the showrunner and Nicole Kang:

---

Sorry; looks like that is the exact theme of the season, according to Dries.

Yeah sadly Im not surprised. Cant wait to see how Catwomans whip transforms someone into the new Catwoman while none of the old guard of Gotham turn up because of reasons.

1 hour ago, Delphi said:

They should have just canceled this.   Some of the new stuff is okay but on the whole... ugh. 

This was going to get four seasons regardless. I think they're actually hitting their stride this season; unlike some other shows' third seasons.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Trini said:

Showrunner Dries confirms this season is only thirteen episodes in this thread about tonight's episode:

I'm slightly surprised they cut it down to 13. Do we know how many The Flash has this season? Looks like it may become a rarity for CW shows unless you are a top performer.

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I'm slightly surprised they cut it down to 13. Do we know how many The Flash has this season? Looks like it may become a rarity for CW shows unless you are a top performer.

The Flash has 18 for Season 8.

I really thought with vaccinations and some easing of restrictions they'd want to get back to more episodes ASAP; but maybe it's a cost-cutting measure also.

*Spoilers* if you haven't seen the midseason finale;

a quote from Dries about the latest plot developments here:

“We were admittedly shocked and thrilled to be able to bring The New Joker to life on Batwoman,” showrunner Caroline Dries said in a statement to Decider. “Nick brings the perfect level of humor, unpredictability, and ruthlessness to the part. Just when the Bat Team thinks they have a handle on their problems, Marquis is going to unleash a level of mayhem Gotham City hasn’t seen since Batman’s reign.”

And an interview with Nick Creegan about Marquis at TVLine:

TVLINE | What has it been like for you to tackle mental health through this character?
I think the most eye-opening part is that we have so many people in our own lives that might not feel seen, or that might not feel like they have the ability to emote in a healthy way. Oftentimes men are told, ‘Don’t cry. That’s for a girl,’ or women are told to be more ladylike. In reality, we should be able to express ourselves in a healthy way from the beginning so that we never get to a point like Marquis Jet. With Marquis, the truth of the matter is he just never felt fully loved and understood by his family. He feels like an outcast. He’s always felt like he wasn’t enough for his mother, and he always felt like he didn’t really have anybody else to lean on. ...

At DC, profile of Sophie: 'The Incredible Journey of Batwoman's Sophie Moore'

In the span of two years, everything has changed in Sophie’s life and the journey is just getting started. She has loved, lost, changed careers and seen things that have caused her to question everything she believes in. She’s gone from an adversary to an ally and tried on many other roles along the way. It’s hard to find a character on Batwoman who has changed as much as she has, and that includes Ryan and Kate. (Maybe Mary Hamilton has her beat at the moment, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say her Poison Ivy turn isn’t going to last.) ...

Reminder that Javicia/Batwoman is set to appear in the Flash's Armageddon event in Part 3 (Nov. 30) and Part 4 (Dec. 7).

No sign of her in the promotional material for Part 3 so far, so her part in that one might be more of a cameo, maybe.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:27 PM, Trini said:

Reminder that Javicia/Batwoman is set to appear in the Flash's Armageddon event in Part 3 (Nov. 30) and Part 4 (Dec. 7).

No sign of her in the promotional material for Part 3 so far, so her part in that one might be more of a cameo, maybe.

Yeah, it was very much just a quick cameo in Part 3. She may be in more scenes in the next episode, but I'm not expecting much.

'Can They Draw Too?: Six DC Actors Who Became DC Authors'

Camrus Johnson – Batwing

June 8th, 2021 was a pretty big day for Camrus Johnson, who plays Luke Fox on TV’s Batwoman. In addition to being the scion to Wayne Enterprises’ Lucius Fox, Luke also fights crime as the high-tech superhero, Batwing. Not only was the world treated to the first look at his live action Batwing suit that day, but it was also the day Johnson earned his first writing credit with DC: a Luke Fox story in the Gotham-focused anthology comic, Batman: Urban Legends #4.

While Luke’s brother Tim “Jace” Fox has been grabbing headlines of late as “The Next Batman,” Camrus used his space in the Urban Legends collection to explore Luke’s own history and dynamics with his once-estranged brother, all while reinforcing what Luke brings to the table as a hero in his own right.

Javicia/Ryan had a few scenes in 'Armageddon, Part 4'; she had a conversation with Iris West, an action scene as Batwoman where she teamed up with Alex/Sentinel (Supergirl); and a heart-to-heart scene with Iris West. Ryan mentioned Sophie, Batwing, and Two-Face.

However, the setup and story of the episode seemed to ensure that none of the events in the crossover will have any effect on Batwoman storylines.

Nicole Kang took part in this panel for the Power Women Summit 2021: 'Onscreen Superheroes on What It Takes to Land Super Roles: ‘Ask for What You Want’'

Stars of The CW's Arrowverse and Pop TV's "Schitt's Creek" came together to talk superheroics at the 2021 Power Women Summit, and they had one simple piece of advice for women -- just ask for what you want.

Sitting down for a discussion on "How To Be A Superhero in Your Everyday Life," Emily Hampshire, Nicole Kang, Nicole Maines and Azie Tesfai reflected on their journeys as superheroes on-screen while speaking with TheWrap's Andi Ortiz. Each one has embodied an original character -- ...

Interview with Javicia Leslie:

Screen Rant: This season, we've really been diving into Ryan's family. What has it been like for you to open that door?

Javicia Leslie: It's been beautiful. One of the best parts of it is being able to play it with Robin Givens and Nick Creegan. As actors, they're phenomenal. But also, just as humans, they are so open and so giving of themselves. When we're working together, it's easy. It almost feels, honestly, like that is my mom and that is my brother, you know? It's been a lot of fun.

12 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Sounds like this will be on a parallel Earth

Add one more to the number of Batman-related shows that never show Batman in action beyond a few brief flashes.

It's just weird that Batman is all over literally every other medium except live-action TV. I guess DC/WB thinks whichever big budget movie version is a better investment?

Interesting that the same producers from Batwoman are developing this -- disproving the lie from anti-fans that DC is somehow unhappy with the show.

So this is not a spinoff? Assuming that this actually makes it to series, it'll be weird to have two shows based in Gotham, but not related. In any case, the premise sounds very on-brand for CW.

Created a thread for further discussion in the Pilots forum: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/124863-in-dev-gotham-knights/

Interview with Javicia Leslie at The Flash Podcast:

Javicia Leslie: ....

We never thought we would lose Mary to Poison Ivy, to Alice. It’s really going to be a huge part of the second half of the season, from really just finding Mary to saving Mary, and also the fact that Ryan’s still battling her brother and trying to save Gotham from him while saving him from himself. Ryan’s tired! [laughs]

... I think it’s amazing that, no matter what your race is, as a girl, you can see these women be badass superheroes. Getting a chance to see yourself when you don’t normally get [that] chance? That’s the part I’m referring to too. That’s a part of the healing, as well. I don’t think that we even realize that representation is healing.

She also mentions

Spoiler

... That she will direct a Season 4 episode -- even though Season 4 hasn't been officially announced yet.

The article writer coulda just left that out, but....

15 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Sounds like this will be on a parallel Earth

Add one more to the number of Batman-related shows that never show Batman in action beyond a few brief flashes.

The write up says it's not a spin off of Batwoman. That doesn't mean it isn't on the same Earth.

My guess is that Batwoman will be renewed for a fourth & final season that will air next Fall, & then replaced with this the following winter. I doubt CW will have two Batman related shows on at the same time. 

I've been thinking CW/WB/DC had to be thinking about a replacement for Batwoman. Something, anything, better than Batwoman.

Interview with Javicia at The List:

So what can we expect to see next from Batwoman? Can you tell us anything about that?

So right now, we're on our hiatus, and we return on January 12 for the second half of the season. A lot of the second half has to do with Ryan's journey with her family and trying to save her brother from himself, who he's obviously been ... He's become our Joker, really. And so that's really her journey, is trying to save Gotham while also trying to save her brother.

First official Poison Ivy/Pam Isley photos, and quotes from both Poison Ivy actresses at TVLine:

... Regan zeroed in on Ivy’s unparalleled devotion to plants.

“I based everything on [the] idea that plants are better than people, and that was it,” Regan shares. “I was really drawn to her mission. I was drawn to this metamorphosis that she’s gone through — her extreme commitment to that mission, how radicalized she is, how passionate she is.”

• Love 1