Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

Nicole Kang interview (video):

We at The Nerds of Color were fortunate enough to speak with Nicole Kang who plays Mary. In our interview, she informs us about the dynamic of the Batwoman set, what playing Mary means for her and Asian representation in superhero stories, and whether there’s hope for Mary to return to her friends and family.

Javicia interview:

And an Interview with Nick Creegan (Marquis): https://www.thewrap.com/batwoman-season-3-episode-8-nick-creegan-interview-joker/

And for Marquis, being that he’s so new and he’s very much into fashion, he’s very much into being himself. Like, there’s a lot of vibes that come through that people probably relate to, especially being from New York and, you know, a little street, a little edgy, funny. So … I tried to take little elements of Jared Leto’s Joker, but also making sure that I weave in the maniacal laughter and just craze in the eyes that I saw in Heath Ledger or Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker. So there’s bits and pieces that I’ve taken from a lot of them, but [I’m] still making it very much [as] original as possible.

Several interviews with Camrus Johnson about directing and tonight's episode;

TVLine:

“I wasn’t sure about my confidence in directing before [She Dreams at Sunrise], and the fact that we made it and it’s been received so strongly… I showed up to the set of [Batwoman], and I was like, ‘Direct what? Let’s do it,'” the actor shares. “I was never truly scared or worried. Whenever there was a problem, we just fixed it. I have so many people to thank because I truly learned a lot about myself and what I can do as a director last year, and I feel very blessed to be able to do what I just did.”

Johnson also had the support of his CW cohorts, including Supergirl’s Chyler Leigh (“She was texting and checking in, [and] she also gave me some really beautiful ‘trust your gut’ advice”) and Arrow alum David Ramsey (“That’s my dawg… He gave me quite a bit of advice”), who directed an episode earlier this season and most recently appeared on screen as Diggle in the Jan. 19 episode, “Meet Your Maker.”

The Wrap:

“... I was pretty much for juggling the entire episode. No, it was great. It’s like the writers of this episode [Natalie Abrams, Chad Fiveash and James Stoteraux], they really put their foot in this episode. It’s crazy. Because when I read it, I was like, ‘Oh, this is the perfect script for me.’ Like, there’s all the things that I want to do. It’s funny, and it’s fun, and it’s action packed, and it’s sexy. And it’s cool. And it’s dark. There’s so many great moments in it. And I really got to play the entire episode.”

EW:

"When I booked this show in 2019, if you had asked me if I was ever going to direct an episode of TV, I [would've asked], 'What does that even mean?' How do you do that?' " Johnson, who plays Luke Fox, a.k.a. Batwing, tells EW with a chuckle. "I never in my mind imagined that this young Black kid from the middle of nowhere Georgia would be directing an episode of a CW show, especially a DC superhero." Despite he's disbelief, he's more than glad that he took on this challenge. "I'm so proud of what we did."

<...>

"I got lucky and I'm very blessed," he says. "[The producers] must know the Joker is my favorite villain because they really made this a Joker-heavy episode."

DC: 'Beyond Batwing: Camrus Johnson Directs Two Different Tales of Heroism'

What’s it like directing people you know and work alongside? Does it make it easier, or do you feel more pressure because you don’t want to let them down?

Personally, I think it makes it easier. I understand why some people might find it harder, but I love working with my friends. With the live action short film that I directed, “Blue Bison,” the whole cast were my friends and it was so easy because I could talk to them however I needed because they got me. They understood how my brain works. This was no different. The cast of Batwoman is incredible. From the beginning, they were just so supportive. They said, “Whatever you need, whenever you need it, however you need it, we will do it. We will figure it out.”

But also, what’s fun about this episode is I really got to dive into my Joker nerdiness. I got to add all of these props and these fun little things. A lot of that was not scripted. I just went to my props team and I asked for maybe 15-20 props, and they made all of them, which was amazing and just goes to show how incredible our crew is. They really went all out for me in this episode.

A couple of interviews:

with Camrus at Den of Geek:

“In the new comic that I’m writing, I actually wanted to show what his life might look like in his personal life because we don’t really get to dive into that,” he says. “That sort of influences me on the show because you don’t get to see where I am when I’m not in the Batcave, but you do get to see it in the comic books. That’s in my mind that it gives my character a little more life, and  character memories to think back on all the time.”

and Javicia at TV Insider:

Exactly. And you know, I’ve had a few small moments, because sometimes when we’re filming outside in Vancouver, kids will come up and they’ll have their Batman stuff on or Batwoman stuff and I’ll be able to take pictures. I’m always super-hyped if I’m in my costume because then they’re taking pictures of Batwoman! [Laughs] And I’ve gotten to meet a lot of really cool kids at some conventions, so I love that this is just another way … specifically for the children of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, to bring out the superhero in them when they’re not feeling their strongest. I get to remind them to stay brave, to keep smiling and to keep going. I get to show them that they have people rooting for them and supporting them and that we’re here if they ever need us.

Interview with Javicia Leslie and Kaci Walfall at E! Online (with video): 'Javicia Leslie and Kaci Walfall Are Superheroes On and Off Screen'

E!: Javicia, you've talked about how you're asked about being a Black leading actress on a major network. Does that get exhausting?

JL: I don't get exhausted. I always assume that this is being asked because they don't know the answer. I'm very grateful for this opportunity. With Kaci and I, it makes a difference to the world as Black actresses to play these characters, but we are just actually being ourselves. I didn't paint myself Black, right? I am Black. I'm just existing as myself. And the beautiful part about this entire journey is that we're showing that existing as ourselves is enough. We're showing that every part of who we are, every box that we check is enough, because for so long, we didn't see that on TV. So it felt like we weren't enough.

Edited by Trini
(edited)

Was hoping they'd get Javicia to one of these, but Nicole Kang and Nick Creegan got to attend The Batman premiere event in New York City:

jason-momoa-kids-support-zoe-kravitz-bat

Edited by Trini

Showrunner finale post-mortem interview at TV Line: Caroline Dries on Potential Series Finale

Some interesting bits:

TVLINE | Alice is also a wanted woman due to her previous actions. How do you think that would play into any future journey for her on the show?

I don’t think she could live in disguises for too long if she comes back. I think she has to find a way to make it work with the city for her to be roaming freely in Gotham in Season 4 if she were to come back.

TVLINE | Does that mean we may be seeing less of Alice in the future?

Hopefully not… We do make the promise that she’s headed out on a journey to be cured, and so the question is, are we going to be with her as she goes through that therapy, or does she come home supposedly cured? Or does it not work? It’s still up for debate, but I definitely want her to come back to Gotham and to be living with our characters, so I don’t think we’ll see a lapse of her. I just think we’ll see a different version of her.

So she agrees Alice can't be roaming around free (even though she's been doing that for most of 3 seasons...), and the the only way to keep her in Gotham is for her to be a different person. Not looking forward to this.

TVLINE | Is this character new or original, or can you not say?

If we don’t get a Season 4, in my mind, it’s just to show Batwoman has to fight another day [and] that it’s never going to go away. And then if we were to get a Season 4, I have a very specific character in mind of who it could be, but it requires getting some approvals.

TVLINE | Do you see a possibility of Pam Isley (Bridget Regan) coming back to the series?

When we created the character, we were allowed to do three episodes [thanks to permissions from DC]. We had her fly off to Coryana, which felt like a good ending for that character and the restrictions that we have. Bridget killed it so hard on the show, and I know she really enjoyed working with everyone, so I would love to bring her back. Are we going to be allowed to or have room for it or have the story for it? I’m not exactly sure.

So the monster at the end wasn't anyone specific... yet. Interesting that there was apparently an episode limit for Poison Ivy.

Another interview with Dries at EW:

It felt like this season was very much about Ryan being torn between her responsibilities to her biological family and her Bat-family. What is the next challenge you're hoping to throw at her next season?

I think it's her relationship with the city of Gotham at this point. The end of season 2, it seemed like Ryan had everything she wanted, and that's why it was so great I think for her to then be rushed with this idea of, well, there is this other family, if you want it, and her realizing, "I want both," and it being really hard. Yeah, and now [it's about], how does her family of Gotham City see her and view her opening up her world a little bit to the city that she represents and is supposed to save every day?

In general, it sounds like they have ideas for Season 4, but no plan yet.

You mentioned this fear of them possibly becoming boring once they got together and were happy. <...> I'm curious if you and the writers had any similar discussions about this idea in relation to Ryan now that she has Sophie, her biological family reunited, and Mary back.

Yeah, exactly. And it almost feels like in a way, once she has all of those things, it's sort of like the challenge now for the writing staff and for me is, how do we pull the rug out from underneath all of that without destroying everything that everyone's excited about? Meaning, what the fans are excited about. And that's a huge challenge. It almost, in a way, feels like starting over. But what it really means for us is, I think, dropping a gigantic external conflict bomb onto season 4 to shake it up.

Uh-oh. WildMoore fans better gird their loins; we've got a "happy couples are boring" showrunner.

Another finale post-mortem interview with Caroline Dries: https://www.tvinsider.com/1034366/batwoman-season-3-finale-ending-season-4-riddler/

...And have you started mapping out what the next season would look like?

Um, yes. Conceptually, if we’re granted another season. So it’s one of those things where, emotionally, I don’t want to pour my heart and soul into breaking a whole season in my bedroom and then all of a sudden they’re like, “Ooooh, you’re not coming back,” right? But I know conceptually what I wanna do and how I want it to feel. It’s something we haven’t seen yet and a big sort of world change [for the characters]. We’ll see.

Interview with Nick Creegan at Hollywood Reporter:

It’s well known playing this iconic, unique character can take a toll on an actor. How did you find the proper headspace for your Joker? 

For me, I wanted to humanize him. I used my own life experience with bouts of anxiety and depression in the past. I was able to get my own mental clarity through therapy and things of that nature to help myself. I was lucky — and Marquis wasn’t. So I wanted to explore the world of how would Nick react if this was his world. I crafted it from voids in life, from loss. I explore some different, painful parts of my past. But as an artist, this role is therapeutic. It doesn’t hurt me to go to painful places and inject it into my art because feel like it is as though you’re having a bad day, and you go to the gym and use that fuel. On-screen, that is my release.

21 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Hollywood Reporter really needs someone who knows what they are taking about lol. He didnt play the first black Joker. 

Who was then? The Joker in The Batman animated series was voiced by a Black man, but I'm pretty sure the character isn't Black. Unless there's another example I missed.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Who was then? The Joker in The Batman animated series was voiced by a Black man, but I'm pretty sure the character isn't Black. Unless there's another example I missed.

Marquies wasn't The Joker. Joker is in the Batwoman-verse, we've seen him and it wasnt him, thats the point. It isn't a mantle.

(edited)

Interview with Batwoman writers, Natalie Abrams and Kelly Larson about the Earth-Prime comic that is meant to be canon with the show:

Natalie: DC reached out to our various showrunners about wanting to do a six-issue event in the comics, where each show (Batwoman, Superman & Lois, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, DC's Stargirl and The Flash) would have a solo story, as well as a small tease to what would ultimately be a big crossover in the final comic. From there, writers from each show all jumped on a Zoom call to discuss the possibilities of the overall story, as well as throwing out ideas of things we wanted to address from our own shows that we may not have time to do in a 42-minute episode.

Edited by Trini

Bubble Watch 2022: Look At Every Broadcast Scripted Series That Has Not Been Renewed Yet, From ‘FBI’ & ‘9-1-1’ To ‘AMLT’, ‘Mr. Mayor’ & ‘Legacies’
By Nellie Andreeva   April 15, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/04/bubble-watch-2022-renewals-cancellations-broadcast-fbi-9-1-1-to-amlt-mr-mayor-legacies-1234998738/ 

Then there are the three remaining DC series, veteran Legends of Tomorrow, Batwoman and freshman Naomi, which will be in consideration alongside DC pilot Gotham Knights. Word is that about half of the four projects will make it to next season. Batwoman and Gotham Knights are set in a similar universe, so it is possible that one of them is picked up for next season. It will be a difficult decision on Legends of Tomorrow, which is getting old, currently in its seventh season, having gone through a string of cast changeovers. The CW’s President Mark Pedowitz is known for giving the network’s long-running series a proper goodbye, so a final season would be logical solution but, given the uncertainty over the CW’s ownership, the final decisions may not be the network’s to make.

😔😞😟

Aww man! I for sure thought this would get a fourth season, at least. And even though I had some issues with it, I thought the show had finally found its groove in Season 3. Disappointing.

Just heard.  I knew the ratings weren't great, but I figured it was likely did they do the normal "give it a final season to wrap things up" thing that CW has been known for: even if it was only a few episodes.  Them just outright canceling was somewhat surprising.  Maybe the cost was just too much?  Or they just have so many other shows in the pipeline.

All in all, while it wasn't a perfect series, I thought it had a lot of good and even great moments, and I do give them credit for mainly be able to not let a bunch of outside factors and behind the scene issues derail it too much.  I guess there is always a chance some of the characters can move onto one of the other D.C. shows, but I hope the actors fine good work elsewhere.  Really want to see what Nicole Kang does next especially.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Just heard.  I knew the ratings weren't great, but I figured it was likely did they do the normal "give it a final season to wrap things up" thing that CW has been known for: even if it was only a few episodes.  Them just outright canceling was somewhat surprising.  Maybe the cost was just too much?  Or they just have so many other shows in the pipeline.

It was doing fine - not great but fine - by CW ratings standards. I saw noted elsewhere that CW hasn't cancelled a non-freshman show after only three seasons in years; so it may (or may not) have to do with the CW sale, and/or the lack of a Netflix deal.

This makes me think they're going to be quicker with cancellations from now on.

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, Trini said:

It was doing fine - not great but fine - by CW ratings standards. I saw noted elsewhere that CW hasn't cancelled a non-freshman show after only three seasons in years; so it may (or may not) have to do with the CW sale, and/or the lack of a Netflix deal.

This makes me think they're going to be quicker with cancellations from now on.

The Carrie Diaries was the last show that made it to a 2nd season that got canceled. Since then its been a 4 season minimum and with batwoman being the first non-Netflix show and the CW sale...it makes sense why they are just now changing up their standards.

• Useful 1

Well, this is depressing.

Between the CW sale and the way WB/Discovery are currently slicing through studios/showrunners/projects, this wasn't entirely a surprise, but still depressing. 

Genuinely looking forward to what Javicia Leslie and Nicole Kung will end up doing next, though.

• Love 5
(edited)

[ETA:] From Javicia's instagram, with some BTS photos and videos:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc834KYvFn3/

The Most High never ceases to amaze me! I was taught that words have power and we speak our life into existence. Well, I spoke this role into my life, and what an honor it has been to watch it play out exactly how it was meant to 🙏🏾 Family, this Bat Team is ours.. HERstory was made and it can never be taken.

Going to set with such an amazing crew and cast makes work feel like play EVERY DAY! Thank you to our entire production team in Vancouver, our LA peeps that keep the stories coming, our big-wigs that believed that we could really do this, and our amazing cast that give their hearts on screen every episode!

And to the fans… WOW… I tear up thinking about all of your messages, tweets, DMs, and letters!! You all reminded me why what we do is soooo important. @ViolaDavis recently said in an interview when asked why representation matters: “Because you need to see a physical manifestation of your dream.
There is something about seeing someone who looks like you that makes it more tangible.”
… cheers to what’s next 🥂

More goodbye tweets:

Edited by Trini

At CBR: 'Javicia Leslie Did The Impossible On Batwoman'

It’s not an overstatement to say that Javicia Leslie is responsible for saving the Batwoman series after Ruby Rose’s exit. This show was a big deal for the Arrowverse. Losing the marquee star after an embattled first season could have meant it flopped hard. Even more so, the decision to create a brand-new character was also a gamble, risking the Kate Kane loyalists’ defection from the series. Through sheer charisma, Leslie’s Ryan Wilder quickly became an indispensable character and the heart of the show. By the end of her first season, fans didn’t just accept Ryan as Batwoman, they wanted more and more of her.

• Love 2