Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

(edited)

Panel included Camrus Johnson...

TV Guide Magazine's 2021 Fan Favorites | Comic-Con@Home 2021
Comic-Con International   Jul 24, 2021

The publication that loves TV—and fandoms—brings together another epic group of talent for its annual celebration of stars we can't get enough of! Shawn Ashmore (The Rookie, The Boys), Lesley-Ann Brandt (Lucifer), Leah Lewis (Nancy Drew), Kaitlin Olson (It's Always Sunny), Brec Bassinger (Stargirl), Jesse Lee Soffer (Chicago PD), Mädchen Amick (Riverdale), Camrus Johnson (Batwoman), Roselyn Sanchez (Fantasy Island), and Nicole Maines (Supergirl) swap stories of fan encounters, reflect on representation and share a ton of laughs in this lively chat moderated by TV Guide Magazine senior writer, Damian Holbrook.

Edited by tv echo

'‘... UnWrapped’ Podcast Featuring Felicity Jones, Vivica A Fox, Ashley Park and Javicia Leslie'

WrapWomen, a community of empowered women in media and entertainment, premiered the “UnWrapped” podcast featuring actors Felicity Jones (“Last Letter From Your Lover), Vivica A. Fox (“Empire”), Ashley Park (“Emily in Paris”) and Javicia Leslie (“Batwoman”), along with director Cate Shortland (“Black Widow”). This podcast is hosted by WrapWomen’s Emily Vogel and Andi Ortiz. 

Episode 1 highlights include:

<...>

Javicia Leslie says Hollywood needs to stop recreating trauma on-screen, and push the conversation on race forward

Camrus Johnson and Nicole Kang will be among the CW stars participating in this campaign...

The CW Launches New, Nonpartisan Initiative to Support and Protect the Freedom to Vote
August 6, 2021
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/08/06/the-cw-launches-new-nonpartisan-initiative-to-support-and-protect-the-freedom-to-vote-132213/20210806cw01/ 

August 6, 2021 (Burbank, CA) ─ On the 56th anniversary of the monumental Voting Rights Act of 1965, The CW is launching a new, nonpartisan initiative entitled "Freedom to Vote," to help promote eligible voter protection and remove barriers to voting, it was announced today by Mark Pedowitz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The CW. The effort builds on the network's 2020 "Vote Actually" campaign that helped to encourage millions of young people to be ready to vote and make their voices heard.

The new CW campaign is being developed in partnership with nonpartisan, nonprofit organizations including the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, dedicated to securing equal justice for all through the rule of law; and Vote.org, the largest voting registration and get-out-the-vote technology platform in America.

Among The CW talent featured in the multiplatform campaign, which kicks off today, include Sam Adegoke ("Dynasty"), Tala Ashe ("DC's Legends of Tomorrow"), Brec Bassinger ("Stargirl"), Coby Bell ("Walker"), Kaylee Bryant ("Legacies"), Melonie Diaz ("Charmed"), Liz Gillies ("Dynasty"), Grant Gustin ("The Flash"), Camrus Johnson ("Batwoman"), Olivia Liang ("Kung Fu"), Nicole Kang ("Batwoman"), Nicole Maines ("Supergirl"), Jeanine Mason ("Roswell, New Mexico"), Perry Mattfeld ("In The Dark"), Kennedy McMann ("Nancy Drew"), Candice Patton ("The Flash"), Danielle Rose Russell ("Legacies"), Azie Tesfai ("Supergirl"), Elizabeth Tulloch ("Superman & Lois"), Anjelika Washington ("DC's Stargirl"), and Karimah Westbrook ("All American"). The new "Freedom to Vote" PSAs -- which encourages viewers to get involved at Vote.org/TheCW -- will be broadcast during the network's primetime line up, across its digital platforms and apps, as well as on its social media outlets.

Edited by tv echo

Whelp, my excitement for the next season has already increased by ten thousand!  Loved Bridget Regan since I first saw her on Legend of the Seeker years ago and I loved her in pretty much everything else, even if I wished she got bigger roles (still wish Dottie had a bigger role in the MCU.)  Looking forward to her take on Poison Ivy!

• Love 2

Batwoman at DC Fandome, October 16th (the Season 3 premiere is the 13th):

Warner Bros. Television will offer a look at new seasons of Batwoman, The Flash, Superman & Lois, and Sweet Tooth; a farewell tribute to Supergirl as it approaches its epic conclusion after six seasons; a celebration of 100 episodes of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow; a first look at forthcoming new drama Naomi; and a sneak peek at an upcoming episode of DC’s Stargirl.

Someone posted video of the Batwoman panel (with Wallis Day, Sam Littlefield, Camrus Johnson, Nicole Kang, Meagan Tandy, Rachel Skarsten) at Dragon Con last weekend...

(scorpion core universe)

Edited by tv echo

Not the right place for this, but hey:

batman-the-audio-adventures-logo.png?aut

Hear original Batman stories with this "Batman: The Audio Adventures" podcast, the first two episodes of this 10 episode series are available now on HBO Max, soon to be available on other platforms. Jeffrey Wright is Batman, John Leguizamo is The Riddler, and Rosario Dawson is Catwoman. Other cast include: Jason Sudeikis, Seth Meyers, Bobby Moynihan, Fred Armisen, Kenan Thompson and Heidi Gardner.

On Sunday, the first two episodes be available for free on a multitude of other platforms.

Edited by AnimeMania

Notes on the new Batwoman costume, at TV Insider:

Batwoman

Uniformly Perfect - A bold new Batwoman deserved an equally eye-catching look in this CW series about the iconic DC Comics superheroine. In January, Season 2 introduced ex-con Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie), the first live-action Black Batwoman, to take the place of Kate Kane (Ruby Rose).

Style Points - Costume designer Maya Mani wanted to create something reflecting Ryan’s “highly skilled” fighting style and “encapsulating her raw, athletic and passionate nature.” The suit, made by Ocean Drive Leather, keeps the classic red and black color scheme (save for that brash red wig!) but features laser etching for more visual depth and a stronger silhouette. The forearm gauntlets are redder, her boots are shorter and that utility belt fairly pops with color. It’s an ideal look for the unwavering defender of Gotham City. ...

Preview of the general storylines for Season 3 at TV Insider:

Now that Gotham City embraces its new Batwoman (Javicia Leslie, who replaced Ruby Rose last year), the caped crusader is about to be awash in familiar foes—or at least versions of them. Season 2’s finale saw Batman’s collection of villain artifacts floating down the river: the Mad Hatter’s chapeau, the Penguin’s umbrella and a sprig of Poison Ivy’s plants. They won’t remain unclaimed for long.

“We call them Bat trophies,” says Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries. “In the first few episodes, they start washing up on shore and we see a derivative of our old-school Bat villains take possession of them.”

Leslie’s Ryan Wilder and ops pro Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson) have equally tricky family matters to handle. Riverdale vet Robin Givens is set to join as Ryan’s birth mom, tech mogul Jada Jet, and Luke discovers a mysterious link between his late father and the supersuit he’s been sporting as crime fighter Batwing.

Says Dries, “Luke realizes that being a superhero is so much bigger than putting on a suit.”

Batwoman, Season 3 Premiere, Wednesday, October 13, 9/8c, The CW

Caroline Dries and Javicia Leslie highlighted in Variety: 'Variety’s Women’s Impact Report 2021'

The Women of “Batwoman”: Caroline Dries, Javicia Leslie

Caroline Dries, Creator, Showrunner

Javicia Leslie, Actor

Leslie didn’t have high hopes about landing the role of Ryan Wilder — the character that replaced “Batwoman” lead Kate Kane after Ruby Rose exited the series in 2020. “I turned in my audition and stepped away and thought, ‘Cool,’” she says. “They’re probably never going to pick a Black woman.’” But Dries knew within “five seconds” that Leslie was Wilder. Casting the first Black, LGBTQ-central female superhero to lead a broadcast television series wasn’t something Dries set out to do, but when she did, the showrunner says, it “definitely changed the perspective that I had when I started writing my character. It forced me, in the best possible way, to review the paradigm of how I was seeing this character, what she could actually do and how her point of view could be way more unique than other stuff we’d done on the show.”

What would you change about showbiz?  “It’s starting to change, but I’d like to see more female heads of studios and networks. There’s a little bit more balance when you have more females in charge,” says Leslie.

“I wish there were better, more regimented intensive training programs and more access to training programs for all departments, specifically writers. It’s so hard to get your foot in the door and for a lot of people, when they finally do get their foot in the door, they’re not quite ready yet,” Dries says.

'How Ryan Wilder Has Improved 'Batwoman' and the Arrowverse'

Since her introduction to the Arrowverse, Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie) has opened The CW’s Batwoman to new opportunities, taking the show in a completely different direction. She’s a character that offers more to those around her than the leads of the majority of the other Arrowverse projects, which Batwoman never fails to prioritize. Despite her story being partially held back by Kate’s disappearance and the mystery surrounding that, which enveloped the characters and overtook a significant portion of Ryan’s inaugural season, Ryan Wilder has stood tall as the new Crimson Knight. And, she’s done things that Kate Kane (Ruby Rose and Wallis Day) never could and/or would if she were still calling the shots. ...

• Love 2

Preview from Javicia and Showrunner Dries: https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-season-3-preview-javicia-leslie/

Introducing these new villains has affected the show's tone as well. "The tonal vibe that we leaned to is more of a horror, action-thriller tone. That plays out in almost every episode," Dries says. "On The Flash, they have metahumans that can do all of these crazy things, so that makes them really challenging villains for the Flash and his team to go up against. With our show, she's going up against human beings. So how do you still make them feel formidable? How do you still get the scares and the tension? And so it almost ends up leaning itself towards more of a thriller."

Ugh - another of my shows going for a horror vibe? Do Not Want!

6 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Ruby is coming after the show and network. 

... And I just realized she did this the day the new episode is airing - LOL

Edited by Trini

Quick note: Peter Roth, the WB executive Ruby Rose is naming, is no longer at Warner Bros/AT&T; he announced his upcoming departure in October 2020 and left the company in January 2021.

He was replaced by Channing Dungey, who was previously at Netflix and before that, ABC.

Response statement from WBTV:

“Despite the revisionist history that Ruby Rose is now sharing online aimed at the producers, the cast and crew, the network, and the Studio,” the statement from WBTV reads, “the truth is that Warner Bros. Television had decided not to exercise its option to engage Ruby for Season 2 of Batwoman based on multiple complaints about workplace behavior that were extensively reviewed and handled privately out of respect for all concerned.”

Yeah... forgive me if I don't believe the response statement... between Riverdale,  arrowverse and other shows this isn't the first time to show up.  Ruby just knew she had other options and chose to leave. 

2 hours ago, Delphi said:

I can believe that Stephen or ruby in this case can be difficult but after the car accidents and xrays of necks...I do not think the cw is doing things correctly. 

They definitely should be awarded the luxury of having drivers to and from set. 

• Love 1

Oh boy - Camrus puts his $0.02 on Ruby; I expect it will be deleted later:

Batfam ya know I couldn’t go the whole day without saying something! I love y’all, don’t think I haven’t seen all the love today. But yea fam, she was fired. And it is VERY hard to be fired when you’re the lead. Imagine what u have to do for that 2 happen

Since it was claimed she “walked away” last year I’m sure some of you may be pretty confused or upset, and even moreso that a lot of lies were spread today. Just know we have a lot of great souls working on this show and none of this changes that. From the top to the bottom.

• Useful 2