Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Early on, I thought the solution would be to sell the house and to downsize.  I was really impressed by the brickwork around the windows and how her name was in the third + floor wall at the front of the house.

Then came the unfinished interior walls and then the unsheetrocked interior walls.  But then the killer: unfinished exterior walls.  Tar paper up, but no bricks.  

The first aerial view of the semi trailer was the key ....anyone who saw that it had collected water in a depression in the top would have known that the stuff stored there was probably ruined.  

My husband has a lot of projects, but they are in out buildings on our farm.  He kept saying...that car can be saved and that tractor is worth something to anyone who knows how to .....yada yada. He did NOT see them as stuff that could consume the rest of his life.   He did not see any similarities between his unfinished cars and her stuff.  Only positive for us....he talked about getting rid of two worn out disfunctional riding mowers.  (He felt better about their getting rid of the sheetrock when he saw that it was odd shaped left overs.) 

For these reasons, we will keep watching.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I liked her brother, but I hate that the show conned her mother and other relatives into making the long trip from Georgia to see how she's living.    

The relatives came to show her they love her.  And it was a no-hold-barred love which we don't often see on Horders  or anywhere else.  (I was hoping she'd down size and move back where her family could embrace her and keep her so busy with family stuff that she couldn't accumulate.)

• Love 9

I saw Cory and his wife on a HGTV show called Mountain Life. He's doing okay by cleaning trash. 😁

Good for him. You couldn't pay me enough to do what he does.

That was a big property land-wise. I wonder how much the land would sell for (assuming the house would be razed).

I'd have to. All other things aside, who wants to live in a house with someone else's name on it?

Here's something I think is interesting. When the show left, Althia's kitchen was clean. She rehoarded the garage with tiles she wants to use in her kitchen - which should be possible since the kitchen is cleaned. So at least part of her problem, in addition to hoarding, is that she can't finish a project. Maybe she doesn't know anyone who can lay the tile and she can't afford to pay someone? But it does seem that she could actually unhoard her garage and get the kitchen done if she'd just take that last step. 

Of course, I'm also assuming that she bought so much tile that she could re-tile 100 kitchens in addition to her own, so that's probably at least part of the problem.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, sara1025 said:

Okay...they REALLY need to not only stop with the 2 hour episodes, but also go back to focusing on 2 hoarders per hour episode. At this point they're just needlessly stretching out these episodes and after the first hour I've completely lost interest.

I would compromise and settle for 1 person/1 hour.  I've been watching this season just to see some new content this summer, but these episodes are like watching paint dry.  I don't care about these people's backstories.  I want to see the shit that they pull out of the homes.

Edited by DucksFlyTogether
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

At least she(Althea) wasn't filthy, or shrieking, or living without toilet facilities, or abusive to her family or the crew that was there to help her. For that, I am grateful. She was a pretty snappy dresser, too. I didn't hate her.

Agreed. I didn't want to throttle her through the screen or hug her family members that were being dumped on. But I thought it was less about Julius as time went on and more about HER losing a big part of herself. 

I was flipping the channels the other day and they had Cory talking about Hoarders on some promo for DISH network. He said he was a paramedic but then I went looking and found this: https://crimecleaners.com/company/meet-our-staff/  I get the feeling he's really "seen some things" before he got into working with Hoarders (the show). 

• Love 4

My first thought at seeing the inside of Althia's house was, "Eh. Doesn't look that bad." Then I realized it was because she was at least not a disgusting slob who threw her trash all over the house along with the mountains of clothes, boxes, and whatever else was in there. 

I would love to know what those "friends" who'd agreed to warehouse her fleet of jalopies were thinking. I've a feeling they'll be holding those cars until the code inspectors show up and pass her house. Then those things are gonna be parked right back in her yard. 

Agree with everyone else who thinks two hours is too long. In this case, they dragged out that godforsaken, rotted backyard bathtub for a solid 15 minutes. Boring, next.

I suspect the friends who stored the rotten vehicles were shipping them back the second the cameras stopped, and the inspectors left.   However, I'm also sure the neighbors were on the phone to the code inspectors the second the vehicles came back.   I bet the entire yard is now full of junked vehicles (I've been watching too many TV judge shows, where nothing is a car or truck, but a 'vehicle').    

I think you saw the real Althia when you saw the basement full of her husband's stuff, and he's been dead for eight years, and then the crammed full addition that didn't even have insulation, and I bet no heat or cooling to keep it from deteriorating.  

I don't think any aftercare or therapy, or anything else will change her thinking.  Alitha thinks she's fine the way she is, and she will never change. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Did anyone see a computer in the house, or Althia with a smart phone? How does one even go about selling piles of junk like hers, other than online?

Flea markets, yard sale. But yeah, in general, she's got no way to sell anything even if she wanted to. I saw a couple of things that were actually decent. A couple old radios for one. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Flea markets, yard sale. But yeah, in general, she's got no way to sell anything even if she wanted to. I saw a couple of things that were actually decent. A couple old radios for one. 

And a vintage cash register.

• Love 1

Althea was completely impervious to logic. Coddling didn't work with her. She seemed more prone to take orders, as she was dragged into hoarding by her "very controlling" husband and the only stuff she let go of was when pressured by her brother. Did Cory hire him btw ?

All in all it was a pretty "meh" episode.

• Love 3

So I just learned the hard way that if you pick up a bag of whole bean coffee with an unknown split in the bag, the result looks like a dozen rats pooped all over the floor.

And I only know what rat poop looks like because we watch "Hoarders."

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, BlazingBloomers said:

Althia is definitely a hoarder but I also think she’s stuck in her grieving process. She’s furious at Julius for not seeing their dream through and leaving her with the mess. The hoard and the house are constant reminders of that, continually feeding the anger. On some level she doesn’t want to give the anger up because once it’s gone what’s left? For many people it would be acceptance and peace but Althia’s not wired that way.

I agree. She was married to Julius from the age of 18, and it sounds as if he was a domineering personality. I'm guessing Althia was very co-dependent and once he was gone, transferred her co-dependency onto the tons of stuff Julius and she had acquired. I thought she'd really benefit from therapy and was sad to see that she didn't take up the offer and had begun hoarding again. I felt quite sad for her. At least she wasn't a nasty old witch like the women on the two previous episodes.

• Love 8

I feel robbed of my time, after spending 2 hours watching when she only got rid of 2 baby strollers? 

I know the house is her “ Dream” but I just don’t understand why the need for such a large house for just 1 person, Who doesn’t get around easily, doesn’t seem to have a lot of visitors.  The mess her husband made is ultimately going to be left to the kids, to clean up once she is no longer around, if the city doesn’t get to it first. 

• Love 4
On 8/4/2020 at 9:22 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect the friends who stored the rotten vehicles were shipping them back the second the cameras stopped, and the inspectors left.   However, I'm also sure the neighbors were on the phone to the code inspectors the second the vehicles came back.   I bet the entire yard is now full of junked vehicles (I've been watching too many TV judge shows, where nothing is a car or truck, but a 'vehicle').    

I think you saw the real Althia when you saw the basement full of her husband's stuff, and he's been dead for eight years, and then the crammed full addition that didn't even have insulation, and I bet no heat or cooling to keep it from deteriorating.  

Well she did have a riding mower and a boat in the yard. Those are also technically vehicles. Oh - and the trailer...

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

I know the house is her “ Dream” but I just don’t understand why the need for such a large house for just 1 person,

Yeah, I've never understood the desire for huge houses that require constant maintenance and more cleaning than can be done without hiring a stranger to come in.  We are three adults living together in less than 2000 square feet, and it's  more than enough room for us. I can run through with a vacuum in twenty minutes.  Best part is it's all on one floor and there's no attic or basement.  My view on "storage space" is if you don't need it anymore often than that, you don't need it.  (Christmas stuff being the exception.) 

I guess that's the basic difference in the hoarder brain and the minimalist.  I feel overwhelmed by any excess that I don't actually need and the hoarder's greatest fear is that he will need something someday and not have it.

Althia doesn't just need a riding mower for the lawn she can't get at, she also needs a "back-up" mower.  Bless her heart, she'll stay in that mess and her memories of Julian until the end and someone will get a really cool fixer-upper with a misspelled name on the front.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, Elizzikra said:

I'd have to. All other things aside, who wants to live in a house with someone else's name on it?

I think that could be easily fixed.  Mike Holmes has done brick-work repair, and it's not hard for a skilled brick layer apparently.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:21 PM, Giant Misfit said:

I would love to know what those "friends" who'd agreed to warehouse her fleet of jalopies were thinking. I've a feeling they'll be holding those cars until the code inspectors show up and pass her house. Then those things are gonna be parked right back in her yard. 

I can't think of a single person I could call, who'd be up for that.

• Love 2

Do you suppose they went to 2 hours/one person, because of quarantine?  
Maybe this was meant to be edited to half a normal episode, but they needed new shows so they left all the extraneous things in to have a new show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm surprised the semi trailer survived the move over the side of the road out of the yard.   

If I was a neighbor of that hoarder, I would have called the police all day on the many cars parked all over the street, the damage from the crews driving on neighboring properties, and despite the claim that they'll fix the lawns, I bet it will be a surface fix.     Then, the second Althia brings the cars and much more junk back, the codes enforcement people would be sick of my phone calls.   If I lived there, there is no way I would let the production company drag anything across my property, or bother me any other way.   This is just a TV show, and helps no one except to line the network and producer's pockets.   

You know that all of the vehicles, and junk are right back on her property, and I bet the cars in the garage (cars with lapsed registration have to be hidden from view), are right back in the driveway.    Hoarders don't clean up permanently, and you know that place is worse than ever by now.   

I'm wondering if Althia actually rented space from someone to put her junky vehicles on it?   Or if she told someone who lived out of the city, that she needed to stash the vehicles for a few days?    There is no way Althia got rid of any of the junk on her property either.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm surprised the semi trailer survived the move over the side of the road out of the yard.   

If I was a neighbor of that hoarder, I would have called the police all day on the many cars parked all over the street, the damage from the crews driving on neighboring properties, and despite the claim that they'll fix the lawns, I bet it will be a surface fix.     Then, the second Althia brings the cars and much more junk back, the codes enforcement people would be sick of my phone calls.   

If I were a neighbor I’d be thrilled that someone was getting rid of the eyesores. When my neighbors were doing illegal night time and Sunday construction, we didn’t call in a complaint because it meant they would be done and the construction noises would end earlier.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Here is an article demonstrating exactly why I can barely stand to watch this show.   This is from 2016, and featured Peggy, but A&E, the production company, and the local inspector knew about this, but did not notify the police.   

https://www.pjstar.com/article/20160209/NEWS/160209349

Peggy was the worst ! An animal serial killer. I'm sure she was deliberately binging on hamburgers while watching her animals starve to death.

Watching Dorothy coddling her was disgusting.

Edited by Ligeia
  • Love 1

Just started watching season 11 on demand. Not the wisest decision I've made this weekend but here we are. Watched Carol last night and just finished watching Sherry. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:34 PM, Awfarmington said:

Another possibility; She found out about their affair and it drove her to take her own life? I actually went even deeper with my thoughts about that, but it might be a little too conspiracy-ish. Yes, I watch far too much ID channel. 

Dave said something like "then it was the three of us" when telling the story of how he and Be became friends with Carol. I wondered if there was more to the relationship than just friends.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:20 AM, satrunrose said:

Yeah, I watch Hoarders as a motivational tool to keep my pack-rat tendencies from getting out of hand, but two hours of horrible families is too much. I think I'm switching to Hot Mess House on HGTV, it's like proto-Hoarders where the folks getting profiled have one of those rooms where you just shove all of the stuff that doesn't go other places. The host helps the families to purge and organize via Zoom. No yelling, swearing or carrying on over rat poop. Plus, the host sends them some pretty awesome storage solutions. 

I've watched a few eps of that...the host does the Clutterbug website. I did her quiz once but I don't remember what bug I was.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:39 PM, OoogleEyes said:

She was fired because she hoarded her office? Yikes. 

I'm reminded of the letter on the Ask a Manager blog about a coworker who was hoarding her office. Hmm. (Don't remember the details but I'm sure she's not the only one.)

I agree Lauren needs to just walk away. The way Matt kept putting his hand on her shoulder (as a "reassuring shoulder thing") while telling her he wanted her to leave and being otherwise nasty was frightening. At some points he seemed almost manic. Did not catch who Dario actually was to them (friend of Matt's, I gathered) and I was just wondering how he got roped into this. He didn't get any talking head time or seem overly involved in wanting to help because he cared so much...did he just want to be on TV?

I noted Sherry said the bathroom was somewhat functional "until the polar vortex"...in other words, the pipes probably froze and burst and there's probably a ton of water damage underneath all that mess.

Whenever they say some variation of "my house is cluttered" (I believe Sherry said "a mess") my immediate response is, "no, my house is cluttered; yours is a landfill with walls." I'm nowhere near on the level of these people and yet I've fantasized about putting a dumpster on the lawn and just tossing stuff out the window like they did at Sherry's (I'm on the second floor so sometimes lugging stuff down the stairs is a pain). Though I'm sure neither my downstairs neighbor nor the condo association would appreciate that.

I think I need to take a shower, throw in some laundry, and do some dishes before I dive into Althia's mess.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Here is an article demonstrating exactly why I can barely stand to watch this show.   This is from 2016, and featured Peggy, but A&E, the production company, and the local inspector knew about this, but did not notify the police.   

They should make people from the show's production. required reporters.

• Useful 1

Does anyone in Althia's family actually go by their given name? Veronica is called Molly, Mary is called Terry, Cornelius is called Neil (okay, that one makes sense, at least).

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

With the animal abuse case, I'm sure the inspector was required to notify the police/animal control.     If the cast had to report abuse, and neglect of animals, and children, then no one would sign up for the show.    I remember Dr. Beaton called the hot line for advice in one case, but nothing was actually done.   You would think being on a national TV show would trigger investigations by the local authorities, but that doesn't seem to do anything about getting situations addressed either.  

Remember the couple in Washington State last season (Andy and Becky I think), a husband and wife, where they had those cute little dogs in cages?   At the end of the show, the local authorities gave them the dogs back.   The couple claimed that they wouldn't cage or chain them in a tiny space again, but you know they were lying.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 8/8/2020 at 3:22 AM, auntjess said:

Maybe this was meant to be edited to half a normal episode, but they needed new shows so they left all the extraneous things in to have a new show.

That’s what I was thinking, too. I bet production shut down so they had to do something with the footage they had.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2020 at 9:22 AM, auntjess said:

Didn't they do the same thing on season 10, 2 hours/1 person ? So It has nothing to do with covid. I think it's just to cut the costs :

- With 1 hour/2 people you have to pay for 2 two sets, 2 crews etc, for only 1 hour of television

- With 2 hours/1 person you only have to pay one set one crew etc, for twice as more airtime

so twice the advertisement revenue for half the production price !

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Does anyone in Althia's family actually go by their given name? Veronica is called Molly, Mary is called Terry, Cornelius is called Neil (okay, that one makes sense, at least).

lol I noticed that too 😄

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ligeia said:

- With 1 hour/2 people you have to pay for 2 two sets, 2 crews etc, for only 1 hour of television

- With 2 hours/1 person you only have to pay one set one crew etc, for twice as more airtime

so twice the advertisement revenue for half the production price !

Mathematically, wouldn't it be 1/4 the production price if we use edited airtime as the common factor? 

1 hour/2 people would extrapolate to 2 hours/4 people (over two episodes).

What we have now is 2 hours/1 person.

• Love 2

They went to 2 hours with 1 person some time ago, not just this season.  They did it to really explore and spend more time with each hoarder.  They agreed with the feedback they received that 2-3 days (whatever it first was) was not enough time per hoarder so they expanded the time spent with each, but that meant fewer hoarders per season.  Also, lots of viewers thought 2 hoarders in 1 hour was too rushed, they felt like they didn't get enough info, see enough family interactions, etc.  I, personally, do agree, that they seem to have gone from one extreme to another now.  I think 1 hoarder in 1 hour would be the best.    I do think filming fewer hoarders per season is a production cost save, but I also think it benefits the clean up specialists and therapists, too, in that they don't need to take as much time off/away from their homes, families, practices and/or companies.  I think that's how they got Matt Paxton back this season.   

• Love 6

Yeah it's certainly not COVID related. And I've posted before that I agree with others have said; 1 hoarder per hour (either as an individual episode or as part of a 2 hour episode) seems to be the "sweet spot". 

2 hours per hoarder is too much. I'd be fine with 2 hours for 2 hoarders since one often acts as a bit of an emotional cleanser to the actions of the other one as you're watching. Watching 1 hoarder for all that time just gets tiring and I tune out even more than I normally do. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Mathematically, wouldn't it be 1/4 the production price if we use edited airtime as the common factor? 

1 hour/2 people would extrapolate to 2 hours/4 people (over two episodes).

What we have now is 2 hours/1 person.

Oh yeah you're right !

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I also think it benefits the clean up specialists and therapists, too, in that they don't need to take as much time off/away from their homes, families, practices and/or companies.  I think that's how they got Matt Paxton back this season.   

But when they did 2 hoarders/1 hour it was never the same crew on both houses...

Edited by Ligeia
2 hours ago, Ligeia said:

Oh yeah you're right !

Those are words that I've NEVER seen before in response to my answer to a math question.  LOL.  I was an English major . . . the only numbers I'm usually good at are Sudoku boards.

• LOL 5
25 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Those are words that I've NEVER seen before in response to my answer to a math question.  LOL.  I was an English major . . . the only numbers I'm usually good at are Sudoku boards.

lol...I always say that math is the reason I majored in English (I'm only half joking) but somehow I ended up working as an editorial assistant for a publisher of professional/academic math journals (not doing math) and now I work in the finance department at a warehouse. 😄 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Tonight  8/10/22

Becky

two decades old hoard in her home and motel

stuff: furniture, clothes appliances

Dr. Robin Zasio

Cory Chalmers

And during this episode, we learn the true cause of death of Wilford Brimley!   Marriage to a Hoarder!

• LOL 15

Becky is a train wreck.   

When two children go to court, and move in with their out of control, abusive father (the second husband), then you know Becky was never focused on anyone but herself.   

Dr. Zasio must have been jet lagged or something, to say she expected to see a sitting room in that house.    Dr. Zasio is kidding herself if she thinks Becky will let go of anything.   I bet she'll be in the dumpster tonight, grabbing stuff back.   

I guess Cory's company (Steri-clean) must get a lot of business from being on this show, because he's on all but one episode this season.   The cleaners should be wearing more protective gear, than just masks, and tshirts.    Becky thinks that anyone would let a little kid play with rat poop filled backpacks?   They are claim they want to clean up, but they all turn on the cleaners.  

Becky's husband (Terry) finally says what I wish more relatives of hoarders say, "that house is half mine, and it's going to get cleaned out and sold".     I had hope at the beginning of this, and that hope is gone.     Why do I suspect that the third husband isn't the only drinker in that family?   It would be a cold day in hell when I would go in that house, and I bet the daughters won't bring their kids go in there either.    

So the daughter spills the truth, that Becky only had supervised visitation when she was little.    There's a lot that wasn't mentioned about Becky's past.    

So she hoarded 15 cabins, the attached home at the motel, and the house she owns with the estranged third husband., and is mostly worrying about filthy wine bottles, a few clothes, and her paperwork she never filed for a protective order?    

I hate how the daughters think this clean out will last.  I hope they called in the exterminators on that house.  Ripping out rugs, and cleaning that house out is only the beginning.   

Why are they endangering the daughters, and everyone else by going into the house by the motel without masks?   Is the older daughter pregnant?   Please tell me she's not, and still going in that hoard.  Just when I start to have hope that Becky is finally letting go, she fixates on something, and pitches a fit.     Just think of all of the money she spent on that hoard, and the motel cabins.     I can only imagine how much rental income she could have collected from the cabins too. 

So Becky is blaming rehoarding in the cabins on the cleaners?    What a liar she is.    Dr. Zasio has reached her limit again.   I think Dr. Z has finally snapped.   I don't think she ever recovered from Sandra's mansion hoard did she?    Cory is stepping up to the plate too, telling the daughters not to let her in the house unless she's clean.   Teddy (the third husband) may be a boozer, but he really is accomplishing the goal this time.        

Becky is not fooling me, just her daughters.   Becky is going to be rebuilding the hoard the second everyone leaves from filming.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

It's about time when Dr. Z, Cory, and the relatives all unite and tell it like it is.   This is the episode I wished all of the rest were like.   And now Dr. Z folds, and starts coddling the hoarder as usual.  

I suspect that Becky was a lot of the abuse through three marriages, when the daughter says the only visitation was supervised at a center, with cameras everywhere.   When the kids from the second marriage moved in with their abusive dad, I wonder if Becky was the abuser, and I bet she's the drunk too, as well as the third husband.   She's the one fighting to keep chewed on bottles of booze, not the third husband.    

BSOJ-Becky hasn't put the motel on the market, and she doesn't have a relationship with the daughters now.    The third husband hasn't heard from her since this was filmed, when he made the mistake of signing over the deed to the house to her,   The aftercare therapist says it's not doing Becky any good.   She's going to flea markets, to rebuild her hoard.   

Why do I guess the house is full again, and the motel is well on it's way to being packed again?  I bet the daughters stuck to not allowing grandma Becky to visit their home with rat poop all over her.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

In the initial camera survey of the hoard, they showed some standing water in what I assume was a basement (I think in the motel house). They never showed that again, did they? (I wonder if that was contributing to the smell that nearly sent the older daughter running outside to vomit). 

I'm guessing the grandkids have never slept in those nice new beds at grandma's house.

• Love 7

BSOJ-Becky hasn't put the motel on the market, and she doesn't have a relationship with them.    The third husband hasn't heard from her since this was filmed, and the aftercare therapist says it's not doing Becky any good.   She's going to flea markets, to rebuild her hoard.    

I think that Becky actually said that aftercare wasn't doing her any good; not that the therapist said that. Even with the patient's permission, I don't think a therapist could say anything at all about Becky. Not that it matters - regardless of the source, it's not surprising that Becky isn't benefitting from therapy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

In the initial camera survey of the hoard, they showed some standing water in what I assume was a basement (I think in the motel house). They never showed that again, did they? (I wonder if that was contributing to the smell that nearly sent the older daughter running outside to vomit). 

I'm guessing the grandkids have never slept in those nice new beds at grandma's house.

They never showed or addressed that. Those nice beds, carpet, couch and appliances are all crapped up by now. And I'm sure the toilet isn't working again either. And everything is a hoarded mess again 

• Love 1