Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/26/2020 at 3:51 AM, kariyaki said:

I found Rachel had some distinctive shifts in her character. There was the spoiled version that we saw in the flashback episode. Then what she became once she moved in with Monica. And then there was how she became once she moved out, especially once she moved in with Joey: super laid back, to the point where she was kind of considered a pushover.

My favourite version of Rachel is the laid back, comfortable Rachel that lived with Joey. 

She wasn't going through fraught, melodramatic relationship stuff, she wasn't struggling to figure out her life or her career. She was just... secure, happy and so much more lighthearted than early Rachel. It was partly because the scenes they wrote for that apartment were always funny and silly, and partly because it was a period when Rachel and Ross were off the table (never should have gotten back on) so there was no needless tension.

So while Rachel and Joey as a romantic couple didn't work for a lot of people (I liked it and wish it had led to personal growth for Joey) their friendship should be far more fondly remembered than it often is.

• Love 12

Well, by that point, Rachel should have been more secure in her life given that her career was on a good track by then. I'm not sure how much living with Joey was the catalyst for that versus how much better Rachel's life was and she just happened to be living with Joey at the time.

• Love 3

On a shallow note, I liked Rachel best when she had that chin-length bob.  That was a really cute look on her, unlike the infamous ‘Rachel’ style from early years that Aniston herself admitted to hating.

• Love 5

I love The Rachel but mostly because it gives me the warm fuzzies about my life during that period of time.

I was not in any way a fan of the long long hair she had when she dated Bruce Willis.  I think someone said it was for a movie, but that doesn’t change how I feel about it, heh.

• Love 4

Was watching the 100th episode and I dread it because of the Happy Days doctor. It's so stupid. But then as I watch it, I can't help but laugh because it's so stupid. I was actually annoyed with myself for laughing. It also goes nowhere, like there's no payoff to it, it just is a thing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Nellise said:

Was watching the 100th episode and I dread it because of the Happy Days doctor. It's so stupid. But then as I watch it, I can't help but laugh because it's so stupid. I was actually annoyed with myself for laughing. It also goes nowhere, like there's no payoff to it, it just is a thing.

In one of the recent Friends books it said that some of the writers wrote jokes more than actual plot.  I always thought Friends did a pretty good job with the scripts.  There was a story to tell and they made it funny. However every once in awhile there would be an episode that seemed to have jokes with the story built around them.  Seinfeld did that a lot.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Nellise said:

And the young doctor that Dr. Happy Days replaced, the one that Phoebe was freaking out at because he was too young, was played by TJ Thyne, who had a nice 11-season run on Bones as Dr. Jack Hodgins there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Nellise said:

I don't think everything has to go somewhere. It was just funny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, Katy M said:

I don't think everything has to go somewhere. It was just funny.

It was worth it just for the “dilated-a-mundo”.

Watching TOW George Stephanopoulos and I’m still confused by Monica's awareness of it being the anniversary of Ross and Carol’s first time having sex, to the point that she knew the exact date. Was this an anniversary the two celebrated with others? Were there parties and Hallmark cards? Did college Ross call up his little sister to inform her he’d just lost his virginity and so she marked it down in her diary so she could...celebrate it with him? 

It makes perfect sense for Ross to remember this, for him and Carol to have made this a special date, and to have Ross confessing it to the guys as to why it’s such a special day. It’s just very weird to me that Monica is that aware of this anniversary.

Then again, the writers showed off often how strangely they perceive brother/sister relationships. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

It makes perfect sense for Ross to remember this, for him and Carol to have made this a special date, and to have Ross confessing it to the guys as to why it’s such a special day. It’s just very weird to me that Monica is that aware of this anniversary.

It was odd.  Why not just have it be their wedding anniversary?

The thing is, the very next episode, Monica mentions that Ross hadn’t told her when he lost his virginity. So Monica just knew it was some sort of anniversary for Ross and Carol, but not specifically what. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The thing is, the very next episode, Monica mentions that Ross hadn’t told her when he lost his virginity. So Monica just knew it was some sort of anniversary for Ross and Carol, but not specifically what. 

That still means she knew it was the first time he and Carol had sex, which is still very weird.

ROSS: Oh my God, oh- is today the twentieth, October twentieth?

MONICA: Oh, I was hoping you wouldn't remember.

ROSS: Ohhh.

JOEY: What's wrong with the twentieth?

CHANDLER: Eleven days before Hallowe'en.. all the good costumes are gone?

ROSS: Today's the day Carol and I first.. consummated our physical relationship. (JOEY IS PUZZLED) Sex

I mean, raise your hand if you know the exact date of when your sibling first had sex with their significant other? 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

On another topic, I never understood why they all thought Paolo was physically good looking and sexy. Maybe he's just not my type.

I didn't find  him attractive. I don't like men with longer hair than me.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Hiyo said:

If there is one thing I have learned from American TV shows, it's that American women swoon whenever they hear a proper posh British accent.

I think I need my ears checked, it never sounded to me like Paolo was speaking with a British accent. (I'm kidding.)

I used to go to a bar that had an Italian guy working as a bouncer that was kind of Paolo-esque. Half the women that worked there thought he was hideous, half thought he was the hottest thing ever. I started asking because one I was friends with thought he was super hot and I didn't get it. So that look seems like you're either all in or all out.

• Love 1

Probably the joke I hated most in all the years of the show was Ross at the wedding dancing with all the little girls and then the heavier little girl wants to stand on his feet.  Not only was it a cheap fat joke, but I end up thinking about how the child actress gets to grow up with her weight being the most famous thing about her.  There is a story that Matthew Perry went to the writers and shut down a storyline he thought in poor taste (Chandler frequents a male strip club because he likes the sandwiches); I wish David had done the same thing here.

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

There is a story that Matthew Perry went to the writers and shut down a storyline he thought in poor taste (Chandler frequents a male strip club because he likes the sandwiches); I wish David had done the same thing here.

That sounds more like it would be a Joey thing with his sandwich obsession.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm just reminded how much I hate Emily's parents. They were totally using the wedding as an excuse to scam the Geller's into paying for the remodeling of their house.

I still don't understand why Emily and Ross weren't paying for their own wedding.  Especially on the Geller side seeing as how Ross already had one wedding.

• Love 4

Agreed about the remodel scam but I still loved her parents, I thought they were hilarious.

Was Emily’s mom dead? She was getting married where her parents had gotten married, yet her mother wasn’t there and her father had remarried.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Was Emily’s mom dead? She was getting married where her parents had gotten married, yet her mother wasn’t there and her father had remarried.

I don't think they said, but she wasn't there and she wasn't mentioned, so I'm going to go with yes.  

I am fully on board with Ross’s rage about that guy stealing his sandwich.  If *you* did not put it into the work fridge, IT’S NOT YOURS.  Sometimes I miss working in an office, sometimes I do not.

Also “my sandwich?!?  MYYY SANDWICH?!?!?” will always make me laugh.

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am fully on board with Ross’s rage about that guy stealing his sandwich.  If *you* did not put it into the work fridge, IT’S NOT YOURS.  Sometimes I miss working in an office, sometimes I do not.

No kidding.  OTOH, something like that I probably would have eaten at home.  The "moist maker" would probably make it a bit messy for lunch room eating. 

• Useful 1

“I am fully on board with Ross’s rage about that guy stealing his sandwich.  If *you* did not put it into the work fridge, IT’S NOT YOURS.”

Especially when the thieving bastard threw part of it away! He is lucky Ross didn’t go all karah-tay on him, Red Ross! style.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
On 8/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, Snow Apple said:

On another topic, I never understood why they all thought Paolo was physically good looking and sexy. Maybe he's just not my type.

Funny that you bring that up - somebody posted a cute Instagram post of Rachel with all of her "boyfriends" and I was struck by the chemistry that Rachel and Paolo had in the picture - I thought it seemed very steamy.  

On 8/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, mojoween said:

I follow this blog Ask a Manager where people bring the woman writing it all of their work dilemmas and it's FASCINATING.  What people do in the workplace is absolutely insane.  This episode would have been perfect for it.

One of her most famous columns was about a guy who's food kept getting stolen and he brought to work an incredibly spicy lunch - but purely innocently, as that's the kind of food he likes to eat (I think it was Indian).  The habitual lunch stealer ate it, of course, and then went into a rage because the food was too spicy and accused the person of poisoning him.  YES, THE THIEF DID.  It was crazy!!!!!!!!

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/07/a-coworker-stole-my-spicy-food-got-sick-and-is-blaming-me.html

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.44.03 AM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 8/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, kariyaki said:

Agreed about the remodel scam but I still loved her parents, I thought they were hilarious.

Emily's stepmother (Mrs. Waltham?) was one of the funniest people ever on the show LOL

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

One of her most famous columns was about a guy who's food kept getting stolen and he brought to work an incredibly spicy lunch - but purely innocently, as that's the kind of food he likes to eat (I think it was Indian).  The habitual lunch stealer ate it, of course, and then went into a rage because the food was too spicy and accused the person of poisoning him.  YES, THE THIEF DID.  It was crazy!!!!!!!!

He's lucky the guy didn't bring chocolax cookies for dessert.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Emily's stepmother (Mrs. Waltham?) was one of the funniest people ever on the show LOL

Emily’s stepmother was played by Jennifer Saunders of Absolutely Fabulous, which was hugely popular at the time. Bit of a stunt cast for AbFab, June Whitfield from that show also had a role in the wedding episode as the housekeeper Phoebe talks to on the phone. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I can't believe Monica never tasted Nestle Toll House cookies. Isn't that typically one of the first recipes people make when learning to cook and bake? Although I guess it's possible she was more interested in cooking rather than baking.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I don't know about that... after all, if I remember correctly, she did open Easy Monica's Bakery!

I forgot about that! Also she loves baked goods as evidenced by her dad needing to pay off all the girl scout (or whatever club) cookies she ate instead of selling. And Ross was picking up a couple dozen linzer tarts for "somebody" when Phoebe mugged him.

So I'm not sure why she never baked Toll House cookies, or even tasted them before. I know it's for the joke, but still....

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3

I wonder if it was a case of confirmation bias. Presumably she was told before she first ate them that it was Phoebe's grandmother's secret recipe. Knowing--or assuming, in this case--that something is special like that can influence how we perceive it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Plus, her family might have used a different recipe for cookies from either another cookbook or from her family's recipe box. 

Finding out Phoebe's secret recipe was actually from a package was one of the realest things on Friends.  Here's an article on similar stories.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Emily’s stepmother was played by Jennifer Saunders of Absolutely Fabulous, which was hugely popular at the time. Bit of a stunt cast for AbFab, June Whitfield from that show also had a role in the wedding episode as the housekeeper Phoebe talks to on the phone. 

And the father was Tom Conti from films like MERRY CHRISTMAS MR LAWRENCE, THE DUELLISTS, and RUEBEN, RUEBEN, which he was nominated for an Oscar. Most recently he was in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, along with Joey's hand twin(Thomas Lennon)!

707561887_MV5BM2MwMjk1NTMtNjhiOS00MTk1LWI3ZDItMjRiZTMxOTczNjdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR001777999_AL_.thumb.jpg.203e95b4e6002fe755d5132d12b2c426.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-doctor-1207939-1280x0.thumb.jpeg.a0b16c132294c03b403cd3d82b7fa9b3.jpeg

• Love 2