Type keyword(s) to search

Drunk History - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

They need to have the second narrator back! Many times! Between the Charleston and the finger flapping, he gave the actors some great stuff to work with.

I'm pretty well-versed in the Ince story and I had never heard the Chaplin suicide theory.

The Callender story was totally new to me. I love this show!

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Killam was one of the better guest hosts. You can really feel DW getting bored with the hosting part of the show, though, so I hope they can find someone else who's good at it and can become a regular replacement.

I think part of it for Derek is that he's not really into the getting smashed portion of the show any longer.  I saw an interview with him somewhere where he says he only drinks now if he's getting paid. I've also noticed that it seems as if he doesn't drink as much as he used to during these interviews.

• Love 1

The Hearst segment was great. I loved all the dancing. If you get a real good narrator it gives the actors so much to work with. 

My favorite actor was playing twice women this time. 

Wow, big aspirations - postmaster general. Of Richmond. The actor played it really well overall. 

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

You can really feel DW getting bored with the hosting part of the show, though, so I hope they can find someone else who's good at it and can become a regular replacement.

I wouldn't say Derek is bored, but the show sounds like an incredible amount of work and he needs to delegate. 

I spent most of the Ince story trying to remember how it went down in The Cat's Meow.

Interesting styling choice to make Jefferson look like a demented Santa.  "I sh*t postmasters general of Richmond for breakfast!"

• Love 1

Taran and Colin are so good.

I was living in San Pedro at the time of Lawnchair Larry, but I don't remember that story. You'd think it would be pretty big. I'm probably just forgetting. Old age and all.

Add Tony Hale to the Drunk History Hall of Fame.

A solid episode. All three stories were good, made 100% better by awesome narrators. Brian Tyree Henry was the standout. 

• Love 2
On 7/3/2019 at 10:26 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

The moment when the dog turned into Ken Marino made me need to pause the DVR and collect myself.

Me too, holy shit. Also when the narrator was talking about how Masterpiece getting stud fees "which, if you don't know what that means, it means *whispers* fucking." 

That was some hardcore bullshit that Lady Bird Johnson pulled on Eartha Kitt, damn.

14 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Tessa Thompson and the lady playing Hedy Lamar are so very, very attractive!

Agreed.

• Love 1

That Lady Bird Johnson/Eartha Kitt story was new to me. Tessa made a great Eartha.

And Ken Marino made a great poodle! i've never heard of Masterpiece. I need to do some googling.

As for tonight's ep, John Lutz was hysterical! What a great narrator. 

They've done a great job of finding new material. The only story I've known in the last couple of episodes is about Hedy (that's Hedley...) Lamarr and I didn't know everything they covered.

• Love 2
(edited)

Drunk History is nominated for 3 Emmys! Huzzah!

Duncan describing all the things Hoover did when he was angry was gloriously funny. Smearing lipstick all over his lips! Dancing on Ouija boards! Rubbing lavender oil on his nipples! And my fave: kicking UFOs into the cyclopian eyeballs of illuminati reptilian shills! 

Edited by auchic
Fixed borked link
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I like Paget Brewster, but I enjoyed the first story more. The first thing that cracked me up was Josh, or rather Douglas Hegdahl, or rather the very fake dummy, being blow off the ship. Then Josh pretending to be extremely stupid, like using the wrong end of a broom to sweep. Then that photo of him with the ridiculously stupid face. All just hilarious. I also liked Mark Gagliardi and his narration.

• Love 2

Season finale! 

I've always felt sorry for Mary Mallon. From her perspective, she hadn't had typhoid fever, so how could she be the one spreading it? Still, wash your fucking hands, Mary.

As for the second story, well, bad blood indeed.  Family trees should branch, guys.

• LOL 1

I liked the first story. It was well-acted and -narrated.

The second one was deeply marred, imo, by the actress who played Cleopatra's sister. She just didn't have the expressiveness that works best on this show.

• Love 2

Finally! I've been waiting for the remainder of season 6 to get on hulu. I don't know why it took so long.

1. Believe it or not - good narrators. That's the strength of the show. I get hazed on FB a lot - "It's drunk history hur hur" - but the narrator needs to give the actors material to work with. The narrator at the end did a good job switching up her voice. I also didn't know anything about these stories either. Derek cracked up a lot.

2 - Legacies. I loved the black and white sketch. It was very stylized. The second narrator was fantastic. Tony Hale totally ran with it. I didn't know the story of Change Gonna Come. That was amazing.

3. The narrator for Hedy was very good and wordy too. I did know about Eartha Kitt, but it was a lot of fun. Ken Marino killed me. You gonna be straight up wishing you never came out of your mama if you even attempt to step to my dogs.

4. Samaritans. Coeur is amazing if you've never been. I've never heard of the children of god. That was some crazy shit.

Edited by DoctorAtomic

I am not sure if the story of MLK and Nichelle Nichols is true, and it has to be if it's on this show, but I was legitimately shocked and cried about it. I had no idea that it had that kind of impact beyond the interracial kiss. How amazing of a moment for Nichelle. 

9 hours ago, Arynm said:

I am not sure if the story of MLK and Nichelle Nichols is true, and it has to be if it's on this show, but I was legitimately shocked and cried about it. I had no idea that it had that kind of impact beyond the interracial kiss. How amazing of a moment for Nichelle. 

It's completely true. She wrote about it in her autobiography Beyond Uhura, Star Trek and Other Memories. Excerpt

Wall Street Journal (it has a paywall)

NY Daily News

• Love 3

The Deadline article linked above says it's expensive because of the period re-enactments, and also that Comedy Central is switching away from live action and into animation. I suppose animation is easier to produce during the COVID situation, but I will probably not watch any of it, so I'm kind of bummed. Apparently the only live action show they are keeping is Akwafina is Nora From Queens? I like that show, but I don't see how it thrives on a channel where everything else is animated. Ugh.

I had this crazy idea that PBS would be an interesting fit for Drunk History.  Maybe History Channel?  Drunk History shows more history than the current version of History channel which is pretty much just reality shows these days.

• Love 3
On 8/22/2020 at 10:20 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

It would be a good fit for HBO Max imo. 

I agree. I guess it depends on what kind of deal the production company had with Comedy Central. Comedy Central is a Viacom network, and so is HBO competitor Showtime.

If HBO can't get the rights for all the previously aired episodes, it's hard to imagine they'd want to pay for only new ones.