Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not defending people who don't work, but, when you reach a certain size, what are you able to do?  You can't stand much, can't walk, can't even get up and down easily.  Plus, you'd likely break chairs and perhaps have so many limitations, that you qualify for disability.  Just speculating.   But, to me, laying around is painful too.  Anyone have to lay in bed a lot when sick? OMG, it made my limbs and skin hurt.  I don't know how they live that way long term.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not defending people who don't work, but, when you reach a certain size, what are you able to do?  You can't stand much, can't walk, can't even get up and down easily.  Plus, you'd likely break chairs and perhaps have so many limitations, that you qualify for disability.  Just speculating.   But, to me, laying around is painful too.  Anyone have to lay in bed a lot when sick? OMG, it made my limbs and skin hurt.  I don't know how they live that way long term.  

I spent Christmas Eve and Day in bed watching a DVD series my husband got me. The next day, my back and legs felt weird. And I got up from time to time! I'm also not 600+ lbs! 

• Love 3

One question that I have never seen answered here or on similar shows is what the morbidly, obese person does when they have to use the bathroom away from home, like in the workplace. There is no way their arms reach around enough to wipe and where would they keep a reaching device?  And, bathroom stalls aren't normally large enough to be doing that kind of thing either.  Just curious.  To me, it might mean the person is not able to handle their bathroom hygiene in public restrooms. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

But, to me, laying around is painful too.  Anyone have to lay in bed a lot when sick? OMG, it made my limbs and skin hurt.  I don't know how they live that way long term.  

I had bronchitis over Christmas and on the 26th I slept pretty much all day (like, got up a couple times to go to the bathroom, might have gotten some water at some point, then next time I woke up it was getting dark). I was stiff all over and my neck and shoulder on one side were killing me. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

One question that I have never seen answered here or on similar shows is what the morbidly, obese person does when they have to use the bathroom away from home, like in the workplace. There is no way their arms reach around enough to wipe and where would they keep a reaching device?  And, bathroom stalls aren't normally large enough to be doing that kind of thing either.  Just curious.  To me, it might mean the person is not able to handle their bathroom hygiene in public restrooms. 

Once someone gets as large as Casey they are likely not to be working. 

Many people choose to use the handicap stall, or wear depends/pose pads until they can get home if they are going to be out all day. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Hubby had 2 hip replacements and then 2 revisions. Awful 3 years for us. He had a reaching device that he wrapped in a trash bag and carried to work and home. Wasn't perfect and kind of made me hurl, but it worked and he was pretty discreet with it.

• Love 1

I have a pretty high tolerance for tlc nekkid shenanigans, but the sight of that giant, naked Baby Huey baby-man nearly made me peace out. *shudders

Everytime Amy was on, I was captivated by her make up (off to follow her on instagram). Hopefully she can pull her head out of De Nile and realize how terrifying her future is a la her family.

The other cousin getting the weight loss surgery first seems quite...dare I say normal? All considered. I hope she’s successful with her wls and backs the hell away from any more faaammmmmiiillllyyyyy gatherings. Such a crab pot mentality, especially with Baby Huey. And sorry Amy, you know you’re from a family of morbidly obese people when you can rationalize 379 lbs not being *that* bad. 

• Love 9

I didn't read this whole thread so don't know if someone mentioned this.  I read on Facebook that Amanda isn't related to any of those other people.  They're not cousins and never met before the show.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

I didn't read this whole thread so don't know if someone mentioned this.  I read on Facebook that Amanda isn't related to any of those other people.  They're not cousins and never met before the show.

WHAT??? Really?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

The other cousin getting the weight loss surgery first seems quite...dare I say normal? All considered. I hope she’s successful with her wls and backs the hell away from any more faaammmmmiiillllyyyyy gatherings. Such a crab pot mentality, especially with Baby Huey. And sorry Amy, you know you’re from a family of morbidly obese people when you can rationalize 379 lbs not being *that* bad. 

I messed up the order of quoting these posts.  Thank you for the infor, SuzieQ.  

DreadfulLeigh, you called it!  I thought she was a cousin as well.

If the show is Family BTN, and she is not family and doesn't know these crazy people, I am confused as to why she is on the program.  Because the weird family was just happy to be obese and eat, and they needed somebody on the show who could feature Dr. Proctor?

• Love 1

If true, it makes some sense...there may not be a lot of families with 4+ members this big who are all young/healthy enough to be potential surgery candidates and live in the same metro area and want to go through all of this on TV. So they might cast some "family" who aren't. They might bet that if the truth comes out, it won't deter viewers. I don't plan to stop watching.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Why am I not surprised?

• Love 3
On 1/4/2019 at 3:35 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not defending people who don't work, but, when you reach a certain size, what are you able to do?  You can't stand much, can't walk, can't even get up and down easily. 

It's that it really should be a wake-up call, when you get to that stage.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch it today, I totally forgot the season started this week.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought taking the scale outside and bashing it was ridiculous.    

Agree.  It's not the scale's fault you are stuffing your face with all the junk food.  It's trying to alert you so you can do something before it gets too late.  It's stupid to get angry at the messenger and not the underlying situation.  Even as a symbolic gesture it is harmful because it is displacing all the useful stuff and channeling energy into wrong pathways.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

So Casey can actually walk, and put on clothes?    So everything is his father's fault?     I am rooting for Amanda, and Amy, but Ed and Casey are not sympathetic characters, with their ridiculous excuses for why they don't want to lose weight, or have WLS.      

He is just a giant baby like that guy from last season, whose awful enabler Mom died.  Totally refuses to accept responsibility for anything.  I bet he was an awful employee too and his bosses were super happy when he quit.

I am with you on rooting for Amanda and Amy, and I think absolutely everyone in that family except the parents need to lose A LOT of weight.  I don't think I have ever seen that many people who are that fat all in one place.  Not a single normal weight person among them! 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, IvySpice said:

Both Amy and Amanda are very pretty. Amy seemed to be a good teacher with strong rapport with her kids. She knows how to dress her body for work, too.

Amy's face is absolutely stunning.  She is almost like some fantasy horror story of half-beautiful woman, half-horrible monster... and she seems like a genuinely sweet person, but thoroughly delusional about what constitutes a proper meal.  I get it that her entire family eats terribly and she must have had bad habits ingrained into her, but surely when she realized that she had a weight issue, she could go online and search for information on losing weight and thus on eating better?  Probably it's just seeing her huge family members, some of whom are double her weight, that distorts her perspective on what is normal and what is unacceptable. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just question that there isn't another method to do endometrial cancer surgery, besides the one described.      I don't doubt it's really cancer, but I question that there wasn't any other way to do surgery, or use another method of anesthesia, to make it safer for Amanda.   

I think there are multiple issues...  There is a problem with actually getting in there, under all those layers of fat, for the actual surgery.  The surgeons who specialize in endometrial cancer are probably not those trained to deal with 600+ pound patients, which is a whole different ballgame - even most bariatric surgeons don't accept people who are that large.  There is issue with anesthesia, especially seeing as that surgery will be very long.   Six to eight hours, probably, way longer than a gastric sleeve.  And finally, there is issue with healing.  Hysterectomy is an awful procedure to recover from - one of my closest friends had it (because of benign endometriosis) last year.   When your stomach muscles are all cut, you have zero core strength and you don't realize how much you need that until you do.  Not able to turn in bed by herself, get up by herself, etc.   And there is problem with healing - and there is a lot of healing to do.  My guess is that the risks of doing that kind of surgery on someone who is nearly 650 pounds are just far greater than waiting. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, PumpkinPK said:

I really want to hear the responsible mother's version of events, and want the gruesome details of what being married to, and raising children with that idiot was like.  I wonder what finally had to go down to make the divorce happen.

I second that.  Though I am more curious about what brought them together in the first place and held them together as long as it did.  Unless they got hitched when they were really young and then she did grow up but he didn't and when she realized that, she left.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, readheaded said:

I hope so, too.  Good for her for having some standards for her son and enforcing them.   If parents don't have expectations of their children, then who will?

I agree 100%.  It's becoming less and less common, though, too many parents think that hovering and organizing activities to occupy their kids 100% is what helps them grow up, but it's the opposite, it's giving them room to make their own choices and decisions and learning from their experiences what makes them grow up, not being held by the hand and always told what to do (even if they are told the best most helpful things)…   If the only expectation is "be a good boy/girl and always do what Mommy and Daddy tell you to do" whether the child is 3 or 13 - what good can come out if it?  

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

It's so difficult to watch sometimes.  I do think that I would be able to put my own ego aside and let them hate me, if it meant their life was spared. 

I agree.  But so many people are so afraid of conflict, they will hide their head in the sand and coast along just to avoid the confrontation.   They probably don't even learn what healthy conflict resolution is like, because ever since they were kids, they would just avoid conflict as long (because good kids don't have conflicts, everyone is speshul and everyone's feelings must be spared) as they can and then violently blow over when they finally cannot pretend everything is OK anymore.  

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Hellga said:

He is just a giant baby like that guy from last season, whose awful enabler Mom died.  Totally refuses to accept responsibility for anything.  I bet he was an awful employee too and his bosses were super happy when he quit.

Now that would be a good match up, although Sean is really a young old man.  He crochets, and probably isn't into the same games as Casey.

• Love 9

If Casey's mother is smart, she'll punch out anyone who suggests she come on this show.   You know everything will be blamed on her, as if she could control her huge man-baby son.     She did the best for him when she made boundaries, and stuck to them.    

• Love 7

LOL at Dr Procter saying because of Amanda's cancer they did the surgery "quickly." 

She's had cancer for two years

1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

LOL at Dr Procter saying because of Amanda's cancer they did the surgery "quickly." 

She's had cancer for two years

We are seeing the show in 2019, I don't know when it was actually filmed, but gotta be months ago, maybe a year or more. 

• Love 1

Is this firefighter guy the one whose wife had bariatric surgery and he had nasty comments about her?  

PS  Yes, he is.  And one of the daughters is already on the path to becoming a poundticipant later on in life.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5

It's funny how they all say "Doctorprocter" like it's one word.

3 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I think, and I could be wrong, that she said last week she was diagnosed in 2016?

Maybe she was diagnosed in December 2016 and the show was filmed in 2017 and we are just seeing it now.  

2 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Also: I got distracted and wasn't watching -- who is Ed??? Is he related to Casey, et al? 

I think he is a cousin of some sort.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Aww, shit Casey's weigh-in. Aaaaaaaannnnnnddddd it's 711!!!!! Frankly, I thought he would weigh more than that.

Damn, his momma called him. This should be interesting.

Somehow 7-11 seems appropriate. I'm sure he's had more than his fair share of Slurpees and whatnot...

• Love 12

Ed is the firefighter.   When the cousins were sitting around talking about surgery,  he said he didn't want it because his wife had WLS, and won't eat steak now.   He claimed she tastes it, and then spits it out.    I'm guessing that the second the kids are out of the house, she'll be out of the house too.     Ed's youngest daughter looked like she's developing a problem too.    Decent, healthy eating should happen in that house.  

My guess is Ed's idea of a little steak is a huge steak, lots of fat, and marbling, and dripping with grease, and it turns her stomach.   

You do have to be afraid of dumping syndrome with WLS, (don't google it, if you eat a lot, or the wrong foods you get very sick, and that's enough for tonight's nausea producing descriptions)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hey Hellga, I missed what he said about her last week. Could you please enlighten me?

I can't remember details, but to me it sounded like he was mocking her inability to eat meat (maybe it was just his cooking!) and how he would never agree to that lifestyle. 

6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Somehow 7-11 seems appropriate. I'm sure he's had more than his fair share of Slurpees and whatnot...

I had thought of the 7-11 reference but I don't know what kind of food they sell other than hot dogs.  I only visited it a few times in my life, every time solely for the ATM. 

1 minute ago, Hero said:

How many temper tantrums do you think Casey will have while being on a diet?

Per hour?  Probably three to five!  AND he will have a bunch of cheat meals!

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5
Just now, DC Gal in VA said:

Thanks CrazyInAlabama and Hellga. That chewing of steak and spitting it out does sound weird though. But I guess if hubby is cooking big old cheap, nasty, overly fatty meat, I get it. 

I haven't had any surgery, but I cannot tolerate fatty meat, last time I ate a fatty cut to be polite, I was throwing up the entire night.  I usually do surgery on my meat to remove fat before I cook it, but if I am eating someone else's, say, pulled pork, where you cannot necessarily see whether you are putting meat or fat in your mouth - yes, I will spit it out.  Maybe she does a similar thing.  A bit weird with steaks, but if he doesn't trim them or buys bad cuts, or chars them to where you can't tell what is what - I can see the same thing happening...

• Love 4

Why do they need surgery to start living their life, going to the gym, etc? You're still reasonably mobile; nothing is stopping you from going to the gym.

Ed may be smaller but he has no business calling anyone fat.

4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I had thought of the 7-11 reference but I don't know what kind of food they sell other than hot dogs.  I only visited it a few times in my life, every time solely for the ATM. 

Lots of packaged junk, candy, etc. Typical convenience store stuff. There are probably some healthier options, but I don't go there very often (very occasionally for milk if I'm desperate; sometimes I go to Wawa, they have a pretty good sandwich counter when I'm too disgusted with the cafeteria).

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Why do they need surgery to start living their life, going to the gym, etc? You're still reasonably mobile; nothing is stopping you from going to the gym.

But that takes effort!  And leaves less time for eating!

• Love 5