Type keyword(s) to search

The Bold Type - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, retrograde said:

After watching the trailer, I'm convinced Jane will become the new Scarlet editor, and I will punch a wall. 

I wouldn't mind it much, if they at least acknowledge how unrealistic it is at her age. But I will be disappointed if she really hooks up with Scott, which seems likely based on the trailer. 

I hope that since there is so few episodes left, the show will focus more on the relationship between the 3 women and on the supporting characters like Alex and Oliver and not too much on the various romantic plotlines. For example, if we don't see Ava again and all we get is a short line from Kat how that was a complete mistake, I will be more than OK with that. 

• Love 1

Of course Jane will become the next editor of Scarlet. She's the greatest magazine writer of her generation. 

I'd love it if Jane were made editor and she either crashes and burns because she has no managerial experience or she decides the business side of it isn't for her and she wants to go back to writing.

But the show will likely end on the high note of each of them getting what they want, to one degree or another. It's always been something of a fantasy anyway.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Of course Jane will become the next editor of Scarlet. She's the greatest magazine writer of her generation. 

I'd love it if Jane were made editor and she either crashes and burns because she has no managerial experience or she decides the business side of it isn't for her and she wants to go back to writing.

But the show will likely end on the high note of each of them getting what they want, to one degree or another. It's always been something of a fantasy anyway.

I'd like having Jane become editor and decide she prefers writing, but they only have 6 episodes. I think you are right and it will be a more traditional display of success for each woman.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, dubbel zout said:

It's especially ironic that they've telegraphed her getting a promotion after an episode about getting cancelled and her admitting to wanting to fuck a subordinate (after the COVID pause, I had forgotten Scott existed). But love will triumph, apparently! The end of this episode basically established Jane/Scott as endgame. I get that Scott just happened to be the love interest du jour when the show was cancelled, but it's really strange to watch the writers catapult them to Meant to Be territory when they've only been horny for each other for max four weeks in show time.

These post-COVID cancellation seasons are weird and rushed and I don't like them. Despite Jane being a Mary Sue, I think (hope) even the writers understand there's no feasible way to have Jane end the series with Jacqueline's job - maybe as some kind of assistant junior editor, but not EIC. Especially if she bites the sexy forbidden fruit with Scott. I'm sure I'll be quoting this post in a few weeks to mock how wrong I was.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:17 AM, JustHereForFood said:

if we don't see Ava again and all we get is a short line from Kat how that was a complete mistake, I will be more than OK with that. 

The Ava debacle was the main reason I was shocked there wasn't a time jump (besides compensating for the COVID break and trying to move plots forward to better position everyone to wrap up the series). After all the blowback last season and Aisha's interview criticizing the story and the fact that they had already inserted that text exchange to change the finale after viewer outrage, you'd think they'd want to distance themselves from the Ava plot as much as possible. Especially since Aisha herself complained that the plot exemplified the contemporary lack of diversity in the writers' room. But nope, not only is Ava featured in the episode, she gets an entire subplot where Kat is repeatedly forced to justify ghosting her. Because that's clearly what Kat fans were clamoring for. It felt like the writers were using Ava and Kat as respective mouthpieces for them and the viewers. Kat's uncharacteristic ambivalence and inability to express her feelings about the situation (until the end) seemed to be a lukewarm defense of the original decision to pursue Kat/Ava romantically. But yeah, it was really awkward. The actresses looked uncomfortable. The dialogue was stilted. The writers seemed oblivious - hopefully they've finally gotten Black writers back in the room. And that's why you shouldn't try to turn the concept of a steamy hate fuck into an attempted genuine romance between a Black woman and bootleg Megan McCain, especially in our current political climate.

I have the most faith that Sutton will get the strongest/most realistic resolution, but divorce is a hell of a lot to bite off in the final six episodes. I also don't see them allowing Sutton to end the series single and I'm concerned Richard will return because of that. The writers have really painted themselves into a corner here, because there's no way they could realistically reconcile. Maybe that's why they chose to have Billy continue to reach out, which struck me as a bizarre decision because it's not like that can go anywhere either. He's a shitty husband who let Sutton believe he was single to sleep with her (she didn't know before they had sex, right?). So it will be interesting to see where they go with her. If she has to end with a love interest, I hope it's Alex! I always loved them together, although his current girlfriend is admittedly cooler than Sutton and this whole tweet feud cancellation vendetta subplot is making him seem petty and immature.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 7

It would have been awesome if that secretary heard Jane's confession about drooling all over someone she supervises and was like "wow, you seem really unprofessional and like the last person who I want to trust when it comes to bad bosses" and instead went to someone else with her story. I guess the show is just trying to get Jane together with someone before the show ends, but Scott/Jane is so obviously not a real end game romance, its just who Jane was with when the show ended. Its still a really bad look for Jane to get together with someone who's she's supervising as a boss, and it seems like it is definitely leading to problems, crossing ethical lines with Scott and ignoring the other reporter she's supervising to focus on her crush. It especially leaves a bad taste in my mouth that she keeps saying how "she could lose her job" as the reason she cant be with Scott, and not her being uncomfortable with the inherent power imbalance or the ethical issues it raises, all as she is working on a story about a boss who mistreats his employees. 

Not a bad start to the last run of the show, even if I am surprised that we are directly dealing with everything that happened in the midseason finale when it seemed like they were frantic to end as many of those plots as they could last season. I am definitely thinking that they will have all three girls working together on the magazine by the end, but who they end up with romance wise is a bit more up in the air. Its going to be interesting seeing what the show does to try and wrap things up. 

I still don't like this story for Sutton, I don't want to watch my favorite character ending the show on a self destructive spiral. I am still wondering if they will end up putting Sutton back with Richard, I just cant believe that they would be finished so quickly after building them up since the start of the show. I am glad that at least Kat and Jane realized that there was something so clearly wrong with her. 

The show is clearly desperately trying to course correct after the mess with Kat and Ava, so I am glad that we are finally moving on from that complete mess. There is just no way that Kat could be in a relationship with someone who has such extremely different political beliefs as her, it could just never work. I do think it was messed up that Kat just slipped out after they had sex and ditched her via text, I don't even like Ava but that's a crappy thing to do. It is in character for Kat though, she can pretty selfish and flighty when it comes to her relationships. 

Alex was petting clapping back on that Pinstripe guy, but that article the guy wrote was such a dick movie, I cant feel that bad that he was fired. Even if he is apparently not a homophobe anymore and I do think that firing people over decades old tweets is often questionable depending on context (although, for gods sake people, delete stuff you aren't proud of anymore!) that article he wrote slamming Alex for not going all caveman on some guy was really obnoxious and shitty, so I don't blame him for not crying over this guy just because he sometimes buys people coffee. 

• Love 3

I feel like Jane is a terrible boss. Not because she has the hots for Scott, but because of how she was treating Addison. Addison asked Jane and Scott what they were working on, and Jane tells her they are wrapping up for the day.....then turns around and asks Scott to help her track down the assistant. Then Addison asks to help and Jane gives her the task of transcribing an interview, but then asks Scott to come to NYC with her and apparently writes the article without even using the interview. Seems like preferential treatment for the guy she likes to me. 

I do not remember whatever happened with Alex and that guy who got fired, but in general I agree with the other coworker that people should be allowed to make mistakes.

I hope Sutton stops spiraling soon. I liked that even though she'd spent zero time thinking of ideas, she was able to come up with an idea tot pitch to Oliver on the spot, and Jaqueline loved it. I hope she pulls it off without letting the Richard stuff get to her. And I hope they some how give her a happy ending, but I have my doubts. The only way I see them reconciling her and Richard is if she says she changes her mind about kids, but that it not really something I want to see.

• Love 8

I loved Sutton's pink plaid suit.

Jane treated Addison so badly. Clearly Jane doesn't believe people should get the same chances she got. 

I get why Sutton feels terrible for sleeping with Billy, but he's the one with a wife and kids.  But this: "If you really like [Scott] and you do it right, you can make it work." What?! Scott is Jane's subordinate. Until that changes, there is no way to "do it right." What are they going to do, wait until Scott is promoted to Jane's level? One of them will leave Scarlet? Unlikely.

• Love 6

Considering how much of a tabu dating someone at a different seniority level at work is, it crops up quite a bit on this show. And to the backdrop of an abuse at work story.

I can always count on Jane to give my cringing muscles a full workout.

The show certainly has its moments, but does anyone else feel that the writers never outlined the story they wanted to tell with that show and just worked season to season with too much focus on viewer reactions - especially when it comes to romance? Not that life in your 20s/early 30s is that predictable, but it feels like those 3 girls are always playing a game of pass the bad luck/decision parcel.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Aulty said:

The show certainly has its moments, but does anyone else feel that the writers never outlined the story they wanted to tell with that show and just worked season to season with too much focus on viewer reactions - especially when it comes to romance? Not that life in your 20s/early 30s is that predictable, but it feels like those 3 girls are always playing a game of pass the bad luck/decision parcel.

I certainly feel that both Sutton and Richard and Kat and Adena were given so much focus because those were popular with viewers. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but with Kat and Adena they seemed to go back and forth too much IMO.   

22 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I feel like Jane is a terrible boss. Not because she has the hots for Scott, but because of how she was treating Addison. Addison asked Jane and Scott what they were working on, and Jane tells her they are wrapping up for the day.....then turns around and asks Scott to help her track down the assistant. Then Addison asks to help and Jane gives her the task of transcribing an interview, but then asks Scott to come to NYC with her and apparently writes the article without even using the interview. Seems like preferential treatment for the guy she likes to me. 

Exactly. And it seems that it's going to bite Jane in the ass because she never checked what Addison sent her about the interview. I can't say I feel sorry for Jane.

I have to say, as soon as they said they were going to an overnight retreat, I thought that is just a story device so that Jane and Scott can hook up. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't go there, but then was dissapointed when Sutton and Kat supported her in her feelings. That was a time to be a friend and tell her the hard truth.

Speaking of hard truths, has the show ever addressed Sutton's drinking problem? I thought about it a lot, especially since she flipped on her mother when she found she was drinking again... and then went on a drinking spree herself, which continued for the whole episode. I don't know if there is enough time to address it properly, but they shouldn't just leave it as a big drunk elephant in the room.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Speaking of hard truths, has the show ever addressed Sutton's drinking problem? I thought about it a lot, especially since she flipped on her mother when she found she was drinking again... and then went on a drinking spree herself, which continued for the whole episode. I don't know if there is enough time to address it properly, but they shouldn't just leave it as a big drunk elephant in the room.

I don't think they have shown hints that Sutton had a problem until these last couple episodes. She always liked to party, but we never showed her seeming to be dependent on it or let it impact her life. Lots of people enjoy drinking without have a dependency. But then in this episode she couldn't even get through the work day sober, which is not a great sign.

To be fair, her husband just left her and it has been like 2 days, so that is not really enough time to see if she will develop a problem. I don't think they have enough time to show an addict storyline.

• Love 4
On 5/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

He's a shitty husband who let Sutton believe he was single to sleep with her (she didn't know before they had sex, right?).

Unfortunately, she did. When she first ran into him at the bar, he said, "Have a drink with me? I could really use one. Anna got our youngest a drum set for Christmas, and let me tell you, he is not making band."

• Useful 2
On 5/29/2021 at 12:10 AM, KaveDweller said:

I don't think they have shown hints that Sutton had a problem until these last couple episodes. She always liked to party, but we never showed her seeming to be dependent on it or let it impact her life. Lots of people enjoy drinking without have a dependency. But then in this episode she couldn't even get through the work day sober, which is not a great sign.

To be fair, her husband just left her and it has been like 2 days, so that is not really enough time to see if she will develop a problem. I don't think they have enough time to show an addict storyline.

Personally I thought she drank too much before, like in season 2 when she was going out with that influencer, or even at her wedding she was drinking since morning. But I wasn't sure if the writers intended to address it or not. Now it seems they intended for us to notice, but since there is so little time left I wonder how it will turn out.

• Love 1

Kat is such a child. It made no sense that she would have slept with Ava in the first place, but she can't even break up with her like an adult. All she had to do was say, "it was a mistake, we're not going to work out." Uncomfortable but done. I want to be proud of who I'm sleeping with? My eyes may be stuck in a permanent eye roll. Give me a break, Kat. 

Jane sucks. What a surprise. Poor Addison. Jane is totally the person that gets all of the breaks, and then never gives anything back to anyone. I'd love the show to end with Jane getting hit by a karma bus, but the writers are too far up that Jane's ass for that to happen. 

All I ask is that Sutton gets the happy ending that she deserves this season. 

Don't feel sorry for the guy that got fired. Agree that its a bit of a slippery slope to fire people for old tweets (some people do evolve) BUT he wrote a toxic piece. There are consequences. Too bad, so sad. Apparently, a stranger buying you a cup of coffee means taking up their cause despite never meeting that person before or know anything about them. Whatever. 

I loathe pink but Sutton's plaid suit was amazeballs! I want to own it in any color but Pepto. 

WTF Jane. I'm not sure how that girl didn't bust out laughing in Jane's face after that ridiculous video confessional. That poor girl's blood sugar must've been low for her to have bought Jane's nonsense. This is the future of journalism? GTFO, show. 

• Love 5
On 5/30/2021 at 3:14 PM, ZeeEnnui said:

Jane sucks. What a surprise. Poor Addison. Jane is totally the person that gets all of the breaks, and then never gives anything back to anyone. I'd love the show to end with Jane getting hit by a karma bus, but the writers are too far up that Jane's ass for that to happen. 

I could see the writers doing a half-karma slap for Jane but then have her turn it into some sort of self-reflective thinkpiece and Jane wins a Pultizer Prize (or something else eyeroll-worthy).

But in all seriousness, they have shown enough hints of Jane either straight up ignoring Addison or giving her menial tasks for it not to be nothing.  Plus they have shown us that Addison is a pretty good reporter.  It wouldn't surprise me if Addison uncovers Jane's video.  That has to come full circle, right?   

My dream scenario is that Addison abruptly quits her job and writes an expose on Jane (and maybe Jacqueline) showing how even women in charge can reinforce patriarchal norms.  But alas, that won't happen.  I find it amazing how I both love and loathe this show equally.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Addison uncovers Jane's video.  That has to come full circle, right?   

Here's hoping it's Chekov's video, but even if/when it comes to light, I don't see Jane suffering any professional fallout. She's Jacqueline's golden girl.

20 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

I find it amazing how I both love and loathe this show equally.

IK,R?!

• Love 4

Ugh! Poor Alex. This show always gives him the lamest subplots. I said it last week, and I'll say it again, WHO CARES about some guy we've never seen before who got fired homophobic tweets and a shitty Alex hit piece. Sage, if you want to get laid so bad maybe try a dating app rather than taking up the cause of some generic dude with bad takes that bought you coffee one time. Have some standards, girl. 

Wait, are you telling me the FUTURE OF SCARLET didn't properly fact-check her article? Shocked not shocked. Jane is going to take Scarlet down like digital took down print media. Bye bye ad sales.

Sutton is my favorite character, and I don't believe for a second that she would so obsessively track Richard's airplane status. I get freaking out, but she is too smart and too competent (Hey, Jane. Maybe, you should take some notes) to suddenly not care about the job that means so much to her. 

I also want to make an entrance with a power cape like Jacqueline. No reason, I just want to intimidate people when I walk into a room and force them to do the right thing through dramatic fashion statements. 

Poor Andrew. Sutton styled him like a fancy, deranged safari guide from the 70s. I thought she was trying to make him good this time?

Jane's apology was such a humblebrag. Maybe instead of "believing" your sources, you should try "fact-checking" their statements. But what do I know? I'm not the Future of Anything. When Jane talked about leadership I wanted Addison to stand up and throw a dinner roll at her head. 

I really hope Megann Fahy goes on to have a big career after this show. She has always been the heart and soul of this show, and she's just so good.

• Love 7

"I did all on my own and now I have to take the blame for other people lying to me. Yeah I am vulnerable and so brave. Look at me basically doing my job. Also I know we need to sell ads, but this speech is all about me, I am not to tell you anything about my vertical and what it is about" - Jane, Future of Scarlet.

I am all for Alex taking a job somewhere else. Its nice to hear that Jaqueline is prepared to beat Pinstripe's offer because Alex is so great, but she should ask herself why she hasn't already promoted him, given him a vertical or whatevs.

Ugh, Adena.

• Love 8

I liked Kat's idea with the video she did for her friend. Hope it achieves something. Alex's idea with the podcast was good too. Not just to help that guy, because yeah it seems they were dedicating too much time to it, but also it was a good topic for Alex's podcast. And I'm glad he is getting appreciated. I hope this doesn't mean we will not see him for the rest of episodes, I want to see more of him and his girlfriend.

Kat is way more joy to watch without Ava. I loved her outfit for the party.

Of course, Jane's mistake gets resolved with one speech. With how unconvinced Nicole looked at their meeting, it was too convenient for her to immediately get to the bottom of the story. Wasn't it the same day? So she immediately went to talk to her employees, got the receptionist to trust her, believed her story and they suspended the guy in one day? If only it were alwys that easy. Jane's speech at the party sucked too, it was too selfcondratuly. This is not a job interview where you list your weaknesses and pass them as strengths, Jane!

I liked the presentation and Oliver's, Andrew's, Alex's and Sage's talk about what Scarlet means to them.

• Love 3

Ugh, I hate that no matter what happens to Jane professionally, she always falls upward. She's so awful to watch at work yet mostly delightful at home with the other two women. It's a conundrum.

3 hours ago, Aulty said:

I am all for Alex taking a job somewhere else. Its nice to hear that Jaqueline is prepared to beat Pinstripe's offer because Alex is so great, but she should ask herself why she hasn't already promoted him, given him a vertical or whatevs.

Same, but why is he going to Pinstripe? And why does he think he's not Pinstripe material? Just because he worked for a woman's magazine doesn't mean he's not a good fit for a men's magazine.

Richard is such a coward to send a friend to tell Sutton he wants a divorce. If this is how he handles the tough stuff in life, she's better off without him. Good lord. And the poor dude who had to deliver the news! Way to put him in an awkward position.

• Love 3

It’s so funny that Sage being horny for the cancelled guy lead to both him getting his job back and Alex getting a better job offer. That plot unintentionally highlighted how men are usually able to skate away from cancel culture because people are much more sympathetic to them, especially if they’re popular/hot, whereas women are almost always tarnished forever. I hope this isn’t Alex leaving the series! It felt like him leaving developed out of nowhere and was settled by the end of the episode. 

I’m guessing the actor who plays Richard wasn’t available to film the season? That’s the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with for all this ridiculous teen nonsense. What a douche sending someone else to ask Sutton for a divorce. Kids or no kids, that’s not something you want in a partner and if anything validated her choice not to have kids with him. What a petty asshole. Still, I appreciate that they are going forward with the divorce because for a second I was worried they would backtrack just because the series was ending. I should’ve guessed from the fact that we hadn’t seen that clip of her tearing up her wedding dress yet, though. 

It made me laugh that Jane was crying about jeopardizing her expose about superior misconduct and was comforted by the subordinate she’s hoping to fuck. 

Giving Kat one last savior plot! But ex-felon employment is a very important issue, so I don’t mind this one and I appreciate the show for spotlighting it. I’m just thankful there isn’t enough time for them to have sex before she reunites with Adena. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Nobody fails up like Jane does, no matter how many times she fucks up it always work out in her favor. Her big "I took responsibility look how brave I am" speech was a humblebrag, not her trying to take responsibility for her shoddy journalism, its just more of Jane being an idiot and everyone apparently seeing that as her being awesome. The second she leaves Scarlett she is going to crash and burn, no other boss is going to coddle her like Jacqueline does. I am so waiting for the big expose where Addison writes a big piece on how her boss spent all of her time ignoring her while drooling over her male co-worker. The show apparently has not caught onto the irony of Jane doing a piece about bosses that badly treat their staff, while Jane herself treats her own staff badly. They have shown several times that Jane is hardly paying any attention to Addison, instead focusing on her inappropriate flirting with Scott, I would love it if Jane eventually got called out. 

I don't care about a prick like Joey getting his job back, note how everyone only talks about his homophobic tweet from years ago and not the ode to Toxic Masculinity slam piece he just wrote about Alex, which is what he should have been cancelled for if anything, so that we feel bad for this jackass. Alex is a good guy though so I can see him feeling bad about the guy losing his job, and it lead to Alex getting a great new job. I hope that this doesn't mean that he wont be around as much, but I am glad that he is finally being recognized for his talent. 

Richard not being able to face Sutton seems really out of character. I hate this whole break up story. 

I always like Kat's stories so much more when she gets to work on social media platforms and not her romance plots, she really is good with social media and I liked her video with her friend a lot. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

It made me laugh that Jane was crying about jeopardizing her expose about superior misconduct and was comforted by the subordinate she’s hoping to fuck. 

In the building's main lobby!

• Love 6

It sucks that the only plot they seem to be able to come up with for Sutton is fucking with her marriage. I guess the actor couldn't commit. They'll probably bring him back for one last jiggy jiggy in the final episode.

Jane's got more plot armor than June Osborne. I'd like to see The Devil Wears Prada staff get a hold of her. 

• Love 1

Of course Jane screws up and suffers no real fallout. I wish we had at least seen her thank Addison for catching what should have been a very obvious discrepancy. 

Kat had a really good idea for her video to help her friend, she should not be working as a bartender. Unless she really loves bartending, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good for Alex for getting a new job, and as much as I like him, I'm glad he's getting a new opportunity. I was annoyed that when Jacqueline told him she'd beat the other guy's offer we didn't hear her say by how much. I know they don't like to say salaries on TV, but at least say "by 10%" or something. How is Alex supposed to make a decision if he doesn't know if she is beating the offer by $5 or $5,000?

I thought we already knew Richard wanted a divorce? I guess Sutton was hoping for a reconciliation, but it wasn't that shocking. Kind of awful to not tell her himself though. I don't even remember that friend that he sent in his place.

Can anyone remind me what that Joey guy did to get himself cancelled? What was his homophobic Tweet?

• Love 2

Ugh why is this show so predictable!  And of course, Jane gives her big "taking responsibility" speech because "that's what leaders do" while not even acknowledging or giving credit to Addison for uncovering the discrepancy in the first place.  Talk about "Failing Feminist" (at least that's one label Jane got right).

17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Same, but why is he going to Pinstripe? And why does he think he's not Pinstripe material? Just because he worked for a woman's magazine doesn't mean he's not a good fit for a men's magazine.

I think Alex said his wasn't quite Pinstripe material because the type of content he writes/produces doesn't quite align with the type of content that comes out of Pinstripe (i.e. Scarlett would never have published that toxic masculinity hit piece).  But i can see why Alex took the offer.  The editor at Pinstripe is giving Alex the opportunity to transform the type of content and maybe culture at Pinstripe.  That's something Jacqueline isn't offering him at all.  If Alex is successful, he could easily move up the ladder and become Editor in Chief someday.  I don't think he would quite get there with Jacqueline (because Jane).  So I'm actually pretty okay with this ending for Alex (I just hope it isn't his last episode).

13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Richard not being able to face Sutton seems really out of character. I hate this whole break up story.

Completely agree.  If the actor wasn't available, the writers could have done a better job than send his friend.  That was so weird and didn't make sense at all.

13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I always like Kat's stories so much more when she gets to work on social media platforms and not her romance plots, she really is good with social media and I liked her video with her friend a lot. 

I liked the video a lot too and thought it was a clever concept.  Though not going to lie, I'm just happy that we got a storyline with Kat meeting a new female acquaintance and not trying to sleep with her (hope i didn't speak too soon).

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, zenithwit said:

The editor at Pinstripe is giving Alex the opportunity to transform the type of content and maybe culture at Pinstripe.  That's something Jacqueline isn't offering him at all.  If Alex is successful, he could easily move up the ladder and become Editor in Chief someday. 

Ten quid sais we'll get a final montage with Jane - Editor of Scarlet - meeting with Alex, the Editor of Pinstripe. In the background we see a TV screen shwing successful politician Kat giving a speech while somewhere else, Oliver hands over the keys to the fashion closet to Sutton.

Edited by Aulty
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Kat had a really good idea for her video to help her friend, she should not be working as a bartender. Unless she really loves bartending, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

She should get some job helping activists with their social media platforms. I'm not sure if that would get her enough money to live by with her lifestyle.

But I expect that by the last episode she will be back at Scarlet.

6 hours ago, zenithwit said:

I think Alex said his wasn't quite Pinstripe material because the type of content he writes/produces doesn't quite align with the type of content that comes out of Pinstripe (i.e. Scarlett would never have published that toxic masculinity hit piece).  But i can see why Alex took the offer.  The editor at Pinstripe is giving Alex the opportunity to transform the type of content and maybe culture at Pinstripe.  That's something Jacqueline isn't offering him at all.  If Alex is successful, he could easily move up the ladder and become Editor in Chief someday.  I don't think he would quite get there with Jacqueline (because Jane).  So I'm actually pretty okay with this ending for Alex (I just hope it isn't his last episode).

Yes, I think that he sees this as a new challenge to speak to a different crowd. At Scarlet he could get too comfortable in time, as he is sort of "preaching to the choir" with progressive opinions.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Aulty said:

Ten quid sais we'll get a final montage with Jane - Editor of Scarlet - meeting with Alex, the Editor of Pinstripe. In the background we see a TV screen shwing successful politician Kat giving a speech while somewhere else, Oliver hands over the keys to the fashion closet to Sutton.

Everyone but Jane will have earned their ending, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, zenithwit said:

I think Alex said his wasn't quite Pinstripe material because the type of content he writes/produces doesn't quite align with the type of content that comes out of Pinstripe (i.e. Scarlett would never have published that toxic masculinity hit piece).

Well, they're different magazines aimed at different audiences, so of course the content isn't the same. It's more that Alex never had an overall problem with Pinstripe's content—just as he never had an overall problem with Scarlet's content. So for him to think he wasn't Pinstripe material was a bit weird to me. I think his surprise should have been more along the lines of him not expecting a men's magazine to hire him after working at a woman's magazine for as long as he did, something like that.

But it ultimately doesn't matter. He got his happy ending and he's out of Jane's daily orbit. That has to be a win, heh.

• Love 4

NO MORE ADENA, NO, NO, NO!!!!

The best part of this was the end when the 700 Club was about to start & a message came on the screen that said:

"What you are about to see is not Freeform.

We can't tell you not to watch.

But have you tried literally anything else?"

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
(edited)

Jane faces unexpected performance reviews that shake her confidence in The Failing Feminist. Sutton’s attempts to move on from her divorce are thwarted by other’s opinions, and Kat reunites with Adena, who has a secret.

E03 Promos:

Run, Scott, RUN!!!

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Aulty said:

Jane faces unexpected performance reviews that shake her confidence in The Failing Feminist. Sutton’s attempts to move on from her divorce are thwarted by other’s opinions, and Kat reunites with Adena, who has a secret.

E03 Promos:

Run, Scott, RUN!!!

Wait what?!  I really hope that first promo is misleading because if not, Scarlet has a seriously bad HR department if they allow Jane to remain a direct supervisor over someone she's in a romantic/sexual relationship with.  I can already feel a rant coming on but considering the episode hasn't even aired yet, I'll hold off and will wait to see what happens.

• Love 2

If I remember correctly, when Sutton had a thing with Alex, they were thorough in checking there was no potential advantage Sutton could get in her job from the relationship, so I hope that Scott gets transferred to another "vertical". 

Did I hear correctly that Jacqueline said that Failing Feminist was Scarlet's most successful vertical last episode? I thought it just launched recently, how could they even determine that? 

• Love 1
On 6/6/2021 at 10:43 AM, zenithwit said:

Wait what?!  I really hope that first promo is misleading because if not, Scarlet has a seriously bad HR department if they allow Jane to remain a direct supervisor over someone she's in a romantic/sexual relationship with.  I can already feel a rant coming on but considering the episode hasn't even aired yet, I'll hold off and will wait to see what happens.

I can see Jane thinking she could go to HR like they were two colleagues at equal levels and have it not be a big deal, only to have HR tell her otherwise. The way they are acting in that clip makes it look like they have already slept together.

I am betting that while Jane gets all 5s from Scott, she does not from Addison.

23 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

If I remember correctly, when Sutton had a thing with Alex, they were thorough in checking there was no potential advantage Sutton could get in her job from the relationship, so I hope that Scott gets transferred to another "vertical". 

Did I hear correctly that Jacqueline said that Failing Feminist was Scarlet's most successful vertical last episode? I thought it just launched recently, how could they even determine that? 

I think Jacqueline did say that, but I thought the Failing Feminist was their only vertical. So I guess that's how they know it's the most successful?

• Useful 1
On 6/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, KaveDweller said:

I thought we already knew Richard wanted a divorce? I guess Sutton was hoping for a reconciliation, but it wasn't that shocking. Kind of awful to not tell her himself though. I don't even remember that friend that he sent in his place.

I thought so too, I felt like the scenario was that he left, it was over. That's certainly how she acted before this episode, but all of a sudden she was pretty sure they'd work it out? Confusing.

Thanks for letting the advertisers know how brave you feel, Jane! Way to take responsibility for a massive screwup!

I loved in the first season of this show that they leaned out of making Jacqueline the awesome megabitch boss type, but at this point I want whatever drugs she's taking that she's always happy and kind and friendly and understanding and has time for everyone.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, gesundheit said:

she's always happy and kind and friendly and understanding and has time for everyone.

Hey, she snapped at Jane and told her to take down her story and issue a retraction. That isn't an awesome megabitch boss type?

/utmost sarcasm

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Hey, she snapped at Jane and told her to take down her story and issue a retraction. That isn't an awesome megabitch boss type?

/utmost sarcasm

She takes no prisoners, that Jacqueline! Basically Cruella DeVille* but only because she has high standards!

*no idea if a wry comment like this even works anymore in light of the recent addition to that piece of pop culture, but I know nothing...

• LOL 1

Is "want to go to HR?" the new "want to go back to my place?" [Massive EYE ROLL]

Jane Rating - Negative 0. I think Addison was pretty freaking generous with a 3! 

The character of Jane is like a weekly trolling by the writing staff. 

I think what Kat is doing to help Zuri is great. It's a very worthy cause, but as per usual Kat has tunnel vision. The Bell doesn't want to get involved (for many reasons that are entirely valid. Thanks for the backup, Adena!) The videos projected on the side of a building is actually a really great idea, but why not do it right? Rather than burn a bridge with a company that you work for --whose values you agree with 9/10  --this is so incredibly dumb and short-sighted. This is why Kat got fired from Scarlet. She doesn't see the big picture. What's extra annoying? Not only is Kat unbelievably self-absorbed but she could have found an organization that would have worked with her on this campaign. But no, she won't do the work required. She has to make a statement NOW. Kat's activism comes across more performative than passionate, and that's where the character loses me. 

The matching bowling shirts were totes awesome.

Tearing wedding dresses not quite as satisfying as the plate smashing place from Pretty Little Liars that I dearly wish were a real thing, but close.

• Love 11

Jane has never shown a natural ability to mentor (if such a thing exists!), so I feel like Jacqueline is partially to blame for not guiding her in leadership from the beginning. That pitch meeting was seriously painful to watch. What's the point of a team if they aren't encouraged to riff off of each other? 

@ZeeEnnui, I agree with you that Kat's activism is performative. She hears one snippet of someone's experience in a system and reacts rather than trying to understand the system that creates the circumstances and the cogs that need to be shifted to change the system. It's like she has this "privileged savior" (like white savior) complex. Changing Zuri's life is great, but there is also so much work to be done upstream.

Changing the public stigma (and employment-sector stigma) against the formerly incarcerated is absolutely important, but you'd think that the organizations who have been advocating on this for decades might know a bit more about what's going on than someone who has listened to a couple people's experiences. 

• Love 13
(edited)

How handy that Jane's apartment sprouted a secret room that unlocked the minute Sutton moved in. Hope they checked it for horcruxes.

Jane really sucks as a boss. Her personality is a big part, but I can't believe that in a company that size she wasn't sent to some team leading and management seminars before or since she got the vertical.
Yay for Sage getting a vertical. I love her.

How does Jaqueline not know how much Andrew is paid?

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 13

I'm not gonna lie, when Jacqueline told Jane that she is responsible for Sage's new vertical with her great speech, I burst out laughing! It would be satisfying if Jane loses both Addison and Scott, but it seems that next week she gets a quick course on how to become Jacqueline in a week, which is totally reasonable, because it didn't take Jacqueline 20+ years to get where she is.

4 hours ago, Pallida said:

@ZeeEnnui, I agree with you that Kat's activism is performative. She hears one snippet of someone's experience in a system and reacts rather than trying to understand the system that creates the circumstances and the cogs that need to be shifted to change the system. It's like she has this "privileged savior" (like white savior) complex. Changing Zuri's life is great, but there is also so much work to be done upstream.

Changing the public stigma (and employment-sector stigma) against the formerly incarcerated is absolutely important, but you'd think that the organizations who have been advocating on this for decades might know a bit more about what's going on than someone who has listened to a couple people's experiences. 

Exactly, it is like it has to be all or nothing for Kat. You either agree with how things should be solved with her, or she burns all the bridges with you. Never mind that the actual change takes time. I wonder if it is in part because of her social media job. With social media it seems you have to react immediately and scream the loudest, because a thought-out, nuanced approach doesn't count.

I liked how Adena called her out on her motivation, that she was supposed to help her friend, not make a statement. I liked a lot of what Adena said in this episode, but it was sort of nullified by the show suggesting that she was wrong and only said that because she was influenced by her mother.

Between Kat's actions here and Callie's in Good Trouble, I wonder if Freeform's writers have some subconcious beef with activists, as they are presenting them in a negative, stereotypical light.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, ZeeEnnui said:

I think Addison was pretty freaking generous with a 3! 

I'm not surprised at all that Jane expected 5s across the board, especially as a new manager. (/sarcasm) I got the feeling Addison knew what Jane was doing when she was suddenly getting all this attention. I wish she'd called Jane out on it, but I think it was accurate that she didn't, even with a potential new job lined up.

Kat's activism comes across more performative than passionate, and that's where the character loses me. 

I don't find her activism performative, just completely unthought-out. "Not everyone can support every issue all the time" is something Kat seems to be completely unfamiliar with. I'm at bit surprised that by this point Kat hasn't learned that to be effective, it's better to focus on a few issues rather than try to take them all on at the same time.

Tearing wedding dresses

I get the emotional release, but I thought that was kind of terrible, actually. Sutton could have donated the dress instead of ruining it.

6 hours ago, Aulty said:

How does Jaqueline not know how much Andrew is paid?

She knows how much he's paid, but I don't think she ever stopped to think about whether it was a livable salary. Too many creative industries still have the attitude that you're supposed to be grateful to be working in them at all, let alone for money.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, ZeeEnnui said:

Tearing wedding dresses not quite as satisfying as the plate smashing place from Pretty Little Liars that I dearly wish were a real thing, but close.

There are real places like these! There's even one in North Carolina where you can decorate your plates before smashing them. 

• Love 1

Addison was being nice with a bunch of Three's instead of all Zero's. Zero's with sad faces drawn inside of them, its amazing she is even considering staying at Scarlett after having to deal with Jane as a boss. I was loving Addison politely dragging Jane in her evaluation, but of course even then we have to have every character tripping over themselves telling Jane what a "great boss" she is, like Jane wouldn't be an absolute nightmare to work for. Everything is about Jane, no way would she want to actually be a mentor to someone else for any reason other than to feed her own ego, not to mention her obvious lack of professionalism. Jane trying to force Addison to do a random pitch meeting was so cringy, she must have known right away that Jane read her evaluation and was covering her ass. Jane and Scott eye fucking over him saying he gave her all Five's in her evaluation was so sleazy, there are not enough trips to HR in the world to make dating your direct supervisor alright, the power imbalance is too great when your directly employer/employee like that. Then, even after Jane's massive failure, Scott is the one who quits after realizing that this is unprofessional, and everyone tells Jane how awesome she is over and over again despite her obvious failure. Even when she gets called out, everything comes up Jane. 

So they decided not to give Sutton the "spiraling into misery" story but instead the "empowerment after divorce" story, which I still find a lot less interesting than watching Sutton navigate a marriage. I am also not sure she should be their divorce expert, she was only married for about five minutes before the the show got bored with that and broke her and Richard up. 

Kat's projected videos were cool and its nice that she wants to help Zuri, but Adena was totally right that she needs to stop burning every bridge she finds over every little thing she gets offended about. Its why she got fired from Scarlett, its why she couldn't find any other jobs running social media, and now she wants to blow everything up at the Belle? A place where she agrees with them on almost every issue except for this one?  Adena was making a lot of sense when she was saying that she cant keep storming off in a huff over after pouring gasoline over everything that upsets her, although I am disappointed that its implied that she was only saying that because of her moms influence. Instead of finding activists that have been working on issues like reforming the justice system, people that are experts on the system who presumably know ways to create real change, Kat just decides she knows all about this issue ever since she found out about it a week ago, all based around some personal stories, and starts yelling and lecturing random people about it. It doesn't help that Kat is also always jumping from cause to cause instead of really committing to something she is passionate about that she can really work to understand. Its all grand gestures then moving onto the next cause that grabs her attention. 

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Okay, 5 seasons and a shitload of Googling later and I'm STILL not sure that I fully understand what a vertical is.

It’s like how Gawker (RIP) had separate sub-sites for different topics (Jezebel, Jalopnik, Deadspin, etc.). Those sub-sites were verticals. 

I will only be satisfied at this point if Jane gets demoted for her terrible mismanagement. She managed 2 people: one she treated like gold because she wanted to bone him and one she demoralized because she was distracted by wanting to bone the other one. She’s proven she isn’t ready and isn’t a leader. 

It’s also a shame that Kat’s failed run for city council didn’t motivate her to get more involved in actual community organizing rather than just picking a pet project of the moment that she’s suddenly all furious about. 

Edited by marny
Autocorrect hates the name Kat.
  • Love 16