Type keyword(s) to search

Stargate SG-1 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

On 4/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, Idiotboy said:

That's all I've got on the fly. Maybe I'll re-read and come back with more ... oh, and I *loved* Hathor. The episode and the character.

Hathor.jpeg

My big problem with Hathor is that she rapes Daniel and attacks Jack (I'd consider what she did to him rape of a different kind) and it's played for laughs and never spoken of again. It's just squicky all the way around.

• Love 2

No, Janet never said that. Hathor came back in a season-ending cliffhanger, in which Jack got to kill her. Incidentally, Hathor looks like Playhouse 90 compared to Joe Mallozzi's recent series Dark Matter (as in horse manure). It thinks it's the new Firefly when it's actually the second coming of Andromeda. I've suffered through episodes for the sake of Torri Higginson's guest appearances but it's a slog. The prerequisite for being cast as a regular seems to be A) under 30; B) flat abs; C) copious amounts of hair gel. [A complete inability to act helps.] Compared to this slab of absolute dreck, JM's worst episodes of SG-1 and SG:A can be forgiven. And he did give us Ripple Effect (bringing back Janet, albeit temporarily), so he'll always get props from me for writing it. See how I brought that back on-topic?

• Love 2
(edited)

Just recently found this thread - might have to come by here more often -  and coincidentally you were talking about Hathor. You'll see why in a moment...

On 4/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, Idiotboy said:

That's all I've got on the fly. Maybe I'll re-read and come back with more ... oh, and I *loved* Hathor. The episode and the character.

In my defense, I originally got the idea to dress as Hathor for Dragon*Con, because my hair used to be cut almost exactly like hers (just not red), so that's how this happened...

First the Hathor I was dressing as:

H31ZAWX.jpg

Which lead first to this: 

EfBa5X8.jpg      

But "temporary dye" wasn't so temporary, so the next time this:

sdEmkPL.jpg

The wig was easier if not exact. And that's Pierre Bernard in that second photo. Squee! I adored Pierre Bernard, and saw his original "Recliner of Rage" on Stargate when it aired. As well as his on the set documentation of his appearance on the show - which was so funny. The best part: Richard Dean Anderson coming in after the director tried to get Pierre to do the scene differently and saying "Don't change a thing."

For those who haven't seen them but are interested:

Pierre's "Recliner of Rage" on Stargate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcYIKYrjJM

Pierre's visit to the set and part on Stargate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0nwauJbi5Q

He also went back for the 200th episode. That one's a good one too.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, marina to said:

Love the costume! And thanks for the links. Although trashing Daniel is fightin' words!

Hee! That's why it was funny - and fitting - that at the end of the second video above "Daniel" got his "revenge."

For the 200th episode Pierre does return, but he's a Zombie O'Brien during the big zombie pitch. There's a Conan video out there for that appearance, too, as well as one for a Stargate convention Pierre was part of.

During one of the last Dragon*Cons when Stargate still had it's own track, we did a group participation version of that episode ("200) with props and such. It was a lot of fun. (My favorite pitch is still the "teen version" of Stargate... "I'm Pregnant." Though the puppet version is a close second. I was a huge fan of Thunderbirds when I was a kid.)

I read some of your impressive Lexicon, and will definitely go back. Though I loved Stargate, I generally can really only handle posting heavily in one fandom at a time, and around that time - though I think a little later than 2006 was when I really got involved at TWoP (I was previously on Forums4Fans) - it was the tail end of my Buffy/Angel: The Series phase, beginning of my Supernatural phase (which perhaps amazingly is still on and I am still in - hence the icon, even if my screen name comes from yet another show, heh).

I'm definitely going back to your links though later when I have more time to study them. (I love the fire of a 1000 burning nuns!) This caught my eye though:

Black Widow Curse = not unique to TWoP, even AT has commented on how Samantha Carter seems to have a curse of the black widow around her, because every guy she has a romantic spark with ends up dying...Martouf, Narim, Orlin, Jonas I, even AU Jacks with AU Sams. We have yet to discover why Pete Shanahan has been immune (though Sam did warn him in "Chimera").

Ironically another Sam, Sam Winchester*** is this on Supernatural, though rather than "Black Widow Curse" it was usually referred to on TWoP in other not family friendly terms concerning a certain part of Sam's anatomy. However Sam's curse is usually restricted to the women he has sex with - who almost always die at some point or another in the show after having done so... The curse is especially prone to being obvious, because Sam tends to be serially monogamous with longish stretches of romantic inactivity, and perhaps ironically his rare one-night-stands tend to survive (that we know of, anyway), but those he has a romantic connection to are generally goners... The curse even managed to catch up to one of the poor women a full 6 seasons later after we'd last seen her. I think that one pretty much convinced Sam that he was cursed, because he hasn't had a serious romantic relationship since then (and that was about 5 seasons ago). One woman survived the curse, and fans (or maybe it was just me ; ) ) theorized it was because she was too annoying and awful a character to be affected.

I don't remember if that exception also applied to Pete Shanahan or not, because our cable did not always have the Sci-Fi channel, so I caught many of my  Stargate episodes in syndication, and it was harder to keep up in some of those later middle seasons until we got SciFi.

What this is telling me is that I need to get out my Stargate DVDs pronto and do a series rewatch!

*** (Pictured in my icon in one of his more ridiculous hair manifestations... and Sam's hair is a thing in itself as it changes often and was the subject of much debate, sometimes being accused of "overacting" - with the "Bouffant of angst" above being a good example.)

That could easily be remedied if Pete's screen-right exit were overdubbed with the sound of a speeding car, followed by a loud "Splat!" If anybody deserved the Black Widow Curse it was he.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, Idiotboy said:

That could easily be remedied if Pete's screen-right exit were overdubbed with the sound of a speeding car, followed by a loud "Splat!"

Followed by a "whaa whaaaaaa" from a trombone.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2019 at 11:28 AM, Idiotboy said:

Is anybody (else) going to the Stargate convention in Chicago in June? We could have a mini-TwoP meetup.

I didn't know there was one! Sadly, no budget for travel atm.

Last night I watched Citizen Joe for the first time since it originally aired and found it rather charming. (Most fans seem to have been put off by it.) Best quote: "They rejected Hathor?! That one was gold!"

• Love 1

I just saw a meme on Facebook that said: 'Screw Area 51. Let's storm Cheyenne Mountain and get the Stargate'.  

It's been a long time since I watched my SG-1 DVDs. I need to have a marathon (broken up into mini-marathons) and watch all 10 seasons (including the episodes I don't care for much).

• Love 7

I'm watching Season 2 Ep 20 (Show & Tell) on Comet right no.  I only kind of remember it.  That's surprising since I thought I'd seen every ep many, many times.  I remember big swaths of it - major info, but so many details I'm finding myself going "oh yeah! I forgot about that" and a few are even "I don't remember that!".  Of course, some scenes can be due to syndication cuts being different, but I doubt that accounts for it all.  🙂  Anyway, I am really enjoying having the early seasons on both El Ray and Comet networks.  

• Love 2

Yes, I went to the convention but only for the de facto Atlantis day (although I'd be glad to talk about Torri Higginson et. al.), the only SG-1 presence being that of Cliff Simon, who seems to think MGM is going to reboot the series. He mostly talked about a new man-vs.-wilderness reality show he's just shot. Gary Jones was the emcee and I wish he hadn't been: all the guests came with new material but Jones trotted out all the same, old, tired jokes. If I go next year I will splurge and on the Amanda Tapping sessions, which I couldn't afford this time around. And now here's something for you DanJan shippers ...

DanJan.jpg

• Love 3

Seems there was a Twitterstorm (or an attempted one) to get SG-1 rebooted, although M-G-M's myriad financial troubles would seem like a near-insuperable obstacle. Any way that gets Amanda Tapping, the greatest thing God ever created, back on my TV set is welcome, although I'd be happier with more standalone movies like Continuum than trying to invent and sustain a new mythology, week in, week out. Besides, other than AT and Christopher Judge, are any of the regulars on board for a Stargate 2.0? (Torri Higginson is game for more RepliWeir, so there's one possible baddie.) I guess we'll find out when Ben Browder does the convention circuit this summer: He's slated for both Gateway in Chicago and GateCon in Vancouver.

Amanda Tapping.jpg

• Useful 1

I hope they don't. To me when I see "reboot" that means ignore everything that exists and start completely new. It would be nice if they did a TV movie or something to finally solve the SGU cliffhanger but I doubt they would. I know they had planned movies for this but it fell through.

• Love 1

I'm only interested in a reboot if they can match the energy, humor, and adventurousness of the first four seasons and can find actors as perfect as the original four (reboots tend to pick generically attractive people with very little talent or charisma). Since lighting rarely strikes twice in this kind of situation I don't have any hope for a reboot, even if it does happen.

• Love 5

I always liked the Tok'Ra- the idea of two beings coexisting like that, sharing every memory and feeling, is fascinating and I don't think the show ever really did any of that justice. (More should have come of Sam being left with the knowledge, memories, and feelings of Jolinar. We learn in subsequent encounters with the Tok'Ra how common it is for the symbiote or host to heavily influence the other in terms of personality. Is that something Sam struggled with? Not to mention the way they just ignored her having naqadah in her blood.)

But goddamn is Delek an asshole. He's the Council member in Death Knell who tells Jacob/Selmak that the Council has been running ops behind their back. I get when he says that Jacob, rather than Selmak, seems to be the dominant personality and how that clearly chafes. The Tok'Ra are their own people with their own culture and protocols and politics, etc. Trying to have their own society while living inside of other sentient beings can't be easy. The hosts have personalities and cultures that are going to influence things which is unavoidable if the Tok'Ra are going to take hosts ethically. How do you balance the two?

All of the oldest Tok'Ra we saw in the first few seasons relinquished control to their hosts far more often than the Tok'Ra that rose up the ranks in subsequent seasons. In fact, after a certain point in the series Jacob is the only host you ever hear speak. A lot of the younger Tok'Ra who stepped into leadership roles as the older ones died or were killed seemed more...militant. Even relatively sympathetic ones like Malek, who told Jack he had no problem whatsoever with the symbiote queen and her offspring being experimented on because the Goa'uld had done far worse to humans, did not once let his host speak. (Which is notable to me also because I recall Martouf, iirc, explaining they prefer to let the hosts deal with humans because it makes humans more comfortable. By season six or so that consideration is out the window.)

Then there's Delek flat out saying that the Tau'ri haven't had their spirits broken by thousands of years of subjugation by the Goa'uld- and that while that can be an asset is makes them dangerous. So while he probably opposes the killing and enslavement of humans, he does find the effects of enslavement to have a positive benefit for the Tok'Ra in terms of producing proper (meeker) hosts. Maybe the most punchable Tok'Ra from the entire series.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 6:23 AM, Anduin said:

I don't remember any heavy weapons. Considering what I said, you'd think it would stick in my mind, but apparently not.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:08 AM, ae2 said:

We did sometimes see larger machine stations targeting the gate, but they weren't always present or visible. That was probably just due to budget or time issues, or simply because they got sick of showing the same scene of soldiers running to man the turrets.

And SG1 just skipped the claymores around the gate in favor of a frequently used, frequently abused self destruct system. 😁 Really, the iris and the wrist band GDOs significantly dampen the threat the gate poses.

In the second episode Director Peter DeLuise's little brother Michael was manning a M2 50 caliber machinegun at the gate and just installed iris. . My experience tells me that if he ever opened up all the airmen in the room would have been medically retired due to deafness. 

And General Hammond had the auto destruct countdown start every time the Goa'uld tried to dial in. Back then there was never any thought of waiting on the Avengers to save the day.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:59 PM, akiss said:

Great news! I wonder if it applies to other countries too (not a US citizen.)

I got a Philippines Netflix feed and just started a rewatch. I always thought that SG-1 was my favorite of the franchise but Universe was the one I was most likely to post about.

• Love 1

I've been sort of doing a rewatch (but sort of skipping around). I just did rewatch all of season 6. I forgot how much Jonas and Teal'c became friends. It was kind of nice to see Teal'c actually seem to hang out with another team member besides Jack. I never minded Jonas but that maybe because I watched it after the show ended so I already knew Daniel comes back (just didn't know how/why). 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, blueray said:

I've been sort of doing a rewatch (but sort of skipping around). I just did rewatch all of season 6. I forgot how much Jonas and Teal'c became friends. It was kind of nice to see Teal'c actually seem to hang out with another team member besides Jack. I never minded Jonas but that maybe because I watched it after the show ended so I already knew Daniel comes back (just didn't know how/why). 

I would love to see Shanks and Sean Bean in a movie together. They both have a reputation for dying, though Shanks rarely stays dead...

Back to the gate defenses. It was the sixth episode of season 1 when an unscheduled activation came,  but with the codes so the base did not go into immediate self destruct countdown. A light platoon of airmen with M4's and M16s rushed to the gateroom but no heavy machinegun was manned in my view.

I just noticed that one of my over-the-air stations is airing scifi shows, including 3 episodes of Stargate SG1 M-F 9pm-midnight CST. 
Right now "Unending" is on.  
Oddly, the channel is listed as "Evine" and "Shop HQ," but the logo in the lower right corner is the more likely "Comet."

Edited by shapeshifter

I had forgotten just how much universe building was accomplished in the first season. Even the clip episode gave us the US politics before they brought in the Russian teams later.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Raja said:

I had forgotten just how much universe building was accomplished in the first season. Even the clip episode gave us the US politics before they brought in the Russian teams later.

That's one of the things I absolutely love about this show. The universe was rich right from the beginning. Well thought out. The politics element, which can become quite annoying, was always handled well.

• Love 2

I was just watching a fan documentary on the franchise. It turns out that Showtime bought the show in blocks of 44 guaranteed episodes. A far cry from today's streaming environment of 3 ten episode seasons and then gone since you will probably not attract more subscriptions or the broadcast standard of 3 episodes and you better hold an audience. 

So with that much time they could go with multi year plans, especially looking at it years later with the first Showtime season being like 2 1/2 NetFlix seasons

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

So after knowing about this show for years and never really getting around to watching it (mainly because its really long and when it first came out I was, like, six) I have finally decided to buckle down and give this a shot, after being told by several people that its a great show and that I, big sci fi fan that I am, will love it! So I am excited to get started, but I had a question for people who have seen it before. Is this a show I should watch straight on from beginning to end, or does it take a little while to get going, and I should skip ahead past the first few episodes or season? Do I need to watch the movie? Should I bother with the spin-offs, and if I do, should I watch them only after this show is done? Do I want to watch the whole show, or does it end up going to absolute crap and I should stop in season seven or something when its still good? Or is it the rare long runner that is consistently good? 

I really know nothing about this show beyond pop culture osmosis. I know there is a Stargate that lets people travel through space, that the bad guys are weird alien worm parasites who are also ancient aliens (I think? There is a lot of ancient Egyptian stuff?) and the main guy is also MacGyver, a show that I have only seen a few episodes of. I am going in just about blind, so wish me luck! 

6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So after knowing about this show for years and never really getting around to watching it (mainly because its really long and when it first came out I was, like, six) I have finally decided to buckle down and give this a shot, after being told by several people that its a great show and that I, big sci fi fan that I am, will love it! So I am excited to get started, but I had a question for people who have seen it before. Is this a show I should watch straight on from beginning to end, or does it take a little while to get going, and I should skip ahead past the first few episodes or season? Do I need to watch the movie? Should I bother with the spin-offs, and if I do, should I watch them only after this show is done? Do I want to watch the whole show, or does it end up going to absolute crap and I should stop in season seven or something when its still good? Or is it the rare long runner that is consistently good? 

I really know nothing about this show beyond pop culture osmosis. I know there is a Stargate that lets people travel through space, that the bad guys are weird alien worm parasites who are also ancient aliens (I think? There is a lot of ancient Egyptian stuff?) and the main guy is also MacGyver, a show that I have only seen a few episodes of. I am going in just about blind, so wish me luck! 

The movie is worth a watch, though there's retconning between that and the show. The first few eps are all right, IIRC. Apart from episode 3, Emancipation. Probably the worst episode of the series.

I don't like the spinoffs, and I don't remember any crossovers. Feel free to give them a miss.

• Love 1

@tennisgurl you really don’t need to see the movie to watch the series IMO. 
I agree with @Anduin that Emancipation is the worst of the series and a must skip. 
As far as the spin-offs are concerned, I enjoyed Stargate Atlantis so I’d recommend it but as far as understanding what’s going on  in Stargate SG1 you don’t need to watch it.  Stargate Universe lasted only 2 seasons and didn’t get good until the last few episodes so I’d skip it.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Is this a show I should watch straight on from beginning to end, or does it take a little while to get going, and I should skip ahead past the first few episodes or season? Do I need to watch the movie? Should I bother with the spin-offs, and if I do, should I watch them only after this show is done?

Just my opinions:

• Yes, watch the movie. Not necessary, but why not? And if you like the movie, there's a good chance you'll like the show. Plus, it has Kurt Russell and James Spader from 25 years ago when they were young and hot.
  • Probably start watching the episodes in order in case there's some basic world-building and personality development and especially relationships that you might need to know about to be able to follow the rest. 
  • Re Spin-offs: I loved the first episode of Stargate Atlantis.
    Note: There is a set-up from Stargate SG1 season 5, episode 19 that is continued in Atlantis.
  • I could do without seasons 9 and 10 of SG1, but there are a few good episodes. 
  • I think upthread we all listed our favorites, but would likely be happy to toss out a few again if you want.
    Most of my favorites would likely be included here: http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/Alternate_Timelines 
  • Love 2

^ will third that. Great show and honestly you can just start watching SG-1.

However it is noted that there is a crossover episode but it's not until season 10. It involves the Atlantis crew and sets. I think you'd still follow if you haven't seen Atlantis as the plot is mostly SG-1'ish. Those two aired at the same time starting in season 8-10 (1-3). However, they don't need to necessary be watched that way and in my opinion it's best to just stick at one, not to get confused.  

SGU: isn't a bad show, just very different. It's a lot darker and more serious. It struggles to get going and has mostly "okay" episodes in season 1 and gets really good in season 2. Only to be cancelled on a major cliffhanger. I would suggest watching this after you've seen the other two as it aired afterwards.

• Love 3

About the only "crossover" I can think of is the later seasons with the stunt casting of the Big 2 actors from Farscape joining SG-1. Or maybe the Wormhole Extreme show inside of the show more comedic episodes.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Raja said:

About the only "crossover" I can think of is the later seasons with the stunt casting of the Big 2 actors from Farscape joining SG-1. Or maybe the Wormhole Extreme show inside of the show more comedic episodes.

I was talking about The Pegasus Project. They travel to Atlantis and Mckay & Weir are heavily featured. And other characters such as Shephard and Zelanka make notable appearances. It's a good episode.

• Love 2

I originally saw the show in syndication so saw episodes here and there but given modern distribution methods there is no reason to watch out of order and with that 44 episode commitment from Showtime back in the day they did build a story out. The question is really if and when you start integrating Atlantis episodes into a watch as the shows ran concurrently like Star Treks TNG last years with DS9.  Or if you continue with the recast ending seasons after the main enemies from the early years are mostly defeated.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Raja said:

Or maybe the Wormhole Extreme show inside of the show more comedic episodes.

I love Wormhole Extreme! 

1 minute ago, Raja said:

The question is really if and when you start integrating Atlantis episodes into a watch as the shows ran concurrently like Star Treks TNG last years with DS9.

Ooo. I forgot that Atlantis overlapped with the last seasons of SG1
-- probably because those were the SG1 seasons with the Ori, who I found too cold and repulsive to be good villains, and, also, as much as I liked Ben Browder mimicking the O'Neill's dry wit, his character wasn't Jack.
Still, good point!

• Love 2

I loved Wormhole Extreme and 200, I appreciate it when a show can mock itself.

The movie was okay but I won't watch it again, I get bored when there is only guy bonding.

I'm going to be the outlier because I really liked Emancipation . Yes, it was clunky and eye-rolling but I work with a number of people from male-dominated (male-overwhelmed) cultures and it rang true. I loved seeing Sam win in the end.

I came to the show late, which I'm glad of. I don't think that I could have taken 8 years of "will they/won't they" Sam and Jack

• Love 2
On 1/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, blueray said:

I was talking about The Pegasus Project. They travel to Atlantis and Mckay & Weir are heavily featured. And other characters such as Shephard and Zelanka make notable appearances. It's a good episode.

Except for having Daniel having an in depth with Vala at the end which by all rights should have been him and Sam. Hated how season 10 didn't give a shit about the long standing/established relationships.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:16 PM, statsgirl said:

I'm going to be the outlier because I really liked Emancipation . Yes, it was clunky and eye-rolling but I work with a number of people from male-dominated (male-overwhelmed) cultures and it rang true. I loved seeing Sam win in the end.

I feel the same way. Nice to have someone else around here who liked it!

• Love 2