Type keyword(s) to search

The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So what do you all think the all time best episodes are?  Top 10, top 20?   And links, maybe?  :-)

The one thing I find unsatisfying about clips from the show (although they can be funny) is that I got the most pleasure from the ebb and flow of an episode, so a collection of clips isn't the best representation of the show for me.

• Love 1

My favorite part of those videos is seeing how the guests react.  Julie Chen can really get down.

It's not a super clear picture, but I think it's Carrie Ann Inaba, former Fly Girl and current judge on Dancing with the Stars.

• Love 1

There's a billboard advertising one of Craig's upcoming stand up shows that I drive past during my daily commute. Until I saw it, I didn't realize that the subtitle for the "Hot and Grumpy" tour was "Walking the Earth." It made me chuckle since he repeatedly mentioned that he would be walking the earth and solving crimes once the show ended.

I'm still adjusting to the idea of no more Craig on the Late Late Show. Frankly, it sucks.

• Love 3

If I have something to say about the fill in /guest host episodes, does it go here?

I wonder.  What will the title of the fill in shows be?  The Late Late Show (with no name following)?   Or production numbers.  Will they be numbered as part of the same sequence used for Craig?

Saw the first one with Drew Carey. Typical talk show schtick, complete with the guest couch and guests uncomfortably stuck sitting next to each other for the entire show.

I thought it was boring.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 1

I thought Drew did great hosting last year when the guest was Carl Reiner but his monologue was typical stand up fare....and it felt just...weird...seeing the same set but no Craig..no Geoff..or the horse...and then, no punky theme song..This is going to be a lot harder than It hought...Makes mewonder how I will cope when Letterman ends.

• Love 3

Well, that's depressing. I'm not terribly surprised though, as I was skeptical about the viability of a talk show in that time slot. That being said, I hope Craig finds something else to do in addition to Celebrity Name Game because I'm not getting a sufficient Craig fix just watching that game show.

Well, that's depressing. I'm not terribly surprised though, as I was skeptical about the viability of a talk show in that time slot. That being said, I hope Craig finds something else to do in addition to Celebrity Name Game because I'm not getting a sufficient Craig fix just watching that game show.

Since you mentioned it, how is that game show?

Since you mentioned it, how is that game show?

It's not bad but it's the epitome of background noise or something you'd only watch while in the waiting room at a doctor's office. Craig makes it an fun as he can but I've never really found most games shows that engaging. It did get picked up for a second season so it must be doing well enough. However, I haven't seen many episodes. Just this afternoon I realized that my DVR had stopped recording it so perhaps I'm judging it unfairly.

ITA about Celebrity Name Game : were it not for Craig, & his improv/interactions w/ contestants & celebs, I probably wouldn't even bother with it, since it's very simple, basic game show fare.

However, thanks to Craig, I've grown quite fond of it, and this will probably only increase if that's really the only Craig we're gonna have on tv for the foreseeable future.

• Love 1

What's the deal with all the substitute guests? I've been flicking over to the show and saw Mark Harmon mention that he was a stand-in guest, and TV Guide lists Sharon Osbourne tonight and Larry King is on.

Well its either that, or repeats, right?

So TLLS with Drew Carey was... really a mixed bag. On one hand, his interviews ended up pretty laid-back and Craig-ish (it helped that most guests were on friendly terms with Drew), but on the other, the skits + monologue were just cringe-worthy. Turn-your-tv-off worthy.

As for the Talk girls, I'll pass, and I'll be back next week, when Jim Gaffigan hosts.

• Love 1

I don't think we need conclude his new show is dead--just the deal.  While I doubt they'd try nightime syndication again after this mess, we know there are at least a trio of other outlets.

1.) Daytime TV (which can be either syndicated or network)

2.) Cable TV (which can vary a lot between "just as good an outlet/time as network TV, through "total joke", between basic and pay cable, daily and weekly slots, etc.)

3.) Online direct (the least potential revenue, but not the total zero it would have been years ago).

Craig's tour team posted a behind-the-scenes video. There are glimpses of an anxious Craig and you get to hear from the current duo playing Secretariat.

I won't say it's tough, when he's got a successful TV show even still on the air (the game show) and so many people don't.  But I bet he's reeling a bit from the syndicated talk show falling apart (at least for now, and with that method of distribution), so maybe this is to show he's still out there plugging away.

EDIT - Nope.  I just noticed the actual date on it.  Jan 12.  That was before it was clear his syndicated show was kaput.

Oh, to this day I persist in hoping that Secretariat Back gets paid three or four times what Secretariat Front gets.  Admittedly Secretariat Front has to do a bit more "acting", but Back has to a.) constantly smell Front's ass b.) ruin his back bending down constantly (and running around in that position) 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Oh, to this day I persist in hoping that Secretariat Back gets paid three or four times what Secretariat Front gets.  Admittedly Secretariat Front has to do a bit more "acting", but Back has to a.) constantly smell Front's ass b.) ruin his back bending down constantly (and running around in that position)

There was an episode where Craig said there was apparently trouble back stage because the front end made more than the back end. Don't know what's up nowadays.

There was an episode where Craig said there was apparently trouble back stage because the front end made more than the back end. Don't know what's up nowadays.

I saw that episode and interpreted it as a joke.

Meaning who knows what they actually make relative to each other.

I don't know how much of Craig's anxiety in that video is about the live show versus anything else. It is interesting to see a little bit of what he's like away from an audience and that the team actually plans some of the stage interactions with Secretariat.

Josh Robert Thompson taped a guest appearance this past week for a Late Late Show episode airing in March.

I enjoyed Drew Carey and the ladies of The Talk  for the most part. I got tired of hearing "Award winning singer songwriter Linda Perry..." just about every time they mentioned Sara's wife who was there with her band as the "house band" for that week though.

Tonight Jim Gaffigan and his wife were awkwardly co-hosting and he involved his kids in the opening bits and at the end. I've always been indifferent to him as a comedian and he seems nice enough. It didn't take long to learn why he's hosting for 2 nights with the mention of a new show he has coming which will be on TV Land. Tonight's guests Ashley Williams and Michael Ian Black are also going to be in Jim's show too.

It didn't take long to learn why he's hosting for 2 nights with the mention of a new show he has coming which will be on TV Land. Tonight's guests Ashley Williams and Michael Ian Black are also going to be in Jim's show too.

Yeah they really went all out on the promotion for his new show, but tonight's guests are Sarah Silverman and Wolfgang Puck so I hope that's the last on the overkill on it.

Tonight Jim Gaffigan and his wife were awkwardly co-hosting and he involved his kids in the opening bits and at the end. I've always been indifferent to him as a comedian and he seems nice enough. It didn't take long to learn why he's hosting for 2 nights with the mention of a new show he has coming which will be on TV Land. Tonight's guests Ashley Williams and Michael Ian Black are also going to be in Jim's show too.

It was annoying, yet successful, as I did not know he had a new show coming, but today I do.

Despite all of its crosspromotional vibe, I've liked Gaffigan's stint on the LLS, so far. He went for something different, more familial, and it works, more or less. And it helps that he has pretty likeable guests, and adorable kids...

I'm much less confident in Apatow's upcoming stint.

(In other news, Craig's on Conan, Jan 28th)

I was totally not expecting The Talk to come on after Letterman - what sort of deranged mind would think that someone who used to watch Craig would want to watch that?

You mean the show where one of the hosts is married to the president of CBS?

• Love 3