Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10 Saving Christmas

American Housewife

Saving Christmas (Season 3 | Episode 10)

8:30PM EST | ABC

Katie strives to keep her long-separated parents apart when her father arrives in time to surprise the Otto family for Christmas. Anna-Kat does her best to help Trip win Taylor back but has a hard time getting past a very persistent Pierce. Meanwhile, Oliver thinks no one will remember him as the mask-wearing villain in the school's production of "The Nutcracker" but quickly takes center stage when a series of mishaps damages his costume.

Original Airdate:  December 12, 2018

11 hours ago, MrFluffy said:

I'm somewhat new to this show, but...what exactly is the appeal of the main actress? She seems so very unpleasant.

I really like her, but I can't tell you why. She's just funny to me. If you want to see her in an earlier series, check out Mike & Molly.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Why did they turn Taylor into an Idiot? 

Turn her into an idiot? They played the entire family like morons on how this boy played everyone so Taylor would fall right into his hands. How much do you want to bet, he just wants to sleep with her and then will cast her to the side by the end of the season?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I love how into Real Horsewives Trip is. 

That part was so cute!  I can't wait for Anna-Kat and Tripp to bring down Pierce.  It's gonna happen eventually, right?  Anna-Kat should have just told Taylor that Tripp bought the bracelet for her and what a creep Pierce was taking credit and manipulating her.  I think she would have believed her if she would have outed him right away.

Katie's dad was great, and I was so happy to see her mom's character growth at the end.  Katie and Greg really do have a terrific marriage.  It's one of the things I enjoy most about this show.

It was nice to see Tripp again - I hadn't realized how much I missed him since he and Taylor broke up. 

I wonder where Cooper B was for Christmas?  I always miss him when he's not in an episode, and I hope we see him again sometime soon.  (And Viv.  I wonder how she's doing with the new baby.  I wonder if there's an issue with Leslie Bibb's availability?)

Anyway... I enjoyed this episode and I'm glad that Katie's mom is moving out to live with Katie's dad.  Her character had been dominating the show a little too much, so I'm glad she's leaving, but I hope we can see both parents together in the future.

Did y'all catch the announcement that American Housewife is moving to Tuesday nights at 8pm February 5th?  It looks like it will be followed by my favorite ABC comedy The Kids are Alright at 8:30 on Tuesday nights.  That works for me.  I hope the ratings hold up.

Edited by AnnaRose
typo
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That was Patrick Duffy!

I know!  I actually recognized him, which is shocking because I'm almost never able to figure who an actor is that looks familiar and have to look them up on IMDB.  It was great to see him again.  I loved him in the role.

Edited by AnnaRose
Clarity. I hope.
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I can't wait for Anna-Kat and Tripp to bring down Pierce.  It's gonna happen eventually, right? 

I hope so. Anna-Kat will be the brains obviously. I've said before that I hope they don't make her too crazy, but this could be a perfect situation to bring out her dark side and still be funny.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That was Patrick Duffy!

I knew he seemed familiar but I wouldn't have ever guessed it was him.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

What? They recast her? I didn't notice.

Didn't she just dye her hair?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I know!  I actually recognized him, which is shocking because I'm almost never able to figure who an actor is that looks familiar and have to look them up on IMDB.  It was great to see him again.  I loved him in the role.

I know it's probably just me, but I didn't see the character as believable as Katie's Dad and husband to Wendy Malick's character.  Miss stuck-on-herself vanity with high hopes of finding an ageing millionaire would not have ever married an ageing California type pony tail wearing hippy handyman that wears cargo shorts in Connecticut in December and eats candy out of his pocket with no wrapper.  It just seemed so off to me.  I could definitely see her with a different sort of kooky beta male type, but a more straight laced one.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

They recast her after the pilot.  I'm not sure that's what the poster who mentioned it meant - i.e. the hair color change mentioned above.

• Love 1

I didn't mean the hair color. I did mean the second episode. They've had a bit of a pendulum on just how dumb Taylor is, but they've been hitting the "Taylor is dumb and that's our primary joke about her", to me, since all the way back then.

• Love 4

Last week we got Gregory Harrison and this week we got Patrick Duffy! It's like an 80's reunion. 

I know it's probably just me, but I didn't see the character as believable as Katie's Dad and husband to Wendy Malick's character.  Miss stuck-on-herself vanity with high hopes of finding an ageing millionaire would not have ever married an ageing California type pony tail wearing hippy handyman that wears cargo shorts in Connecticut in December and eats candy out of his pocket with no wrapper.  It just seemed so off to me.  I could definitely see her with a different sort of kooky beta male type, but a more straight laced one.

They might be an unlikely match now, but back when they were young and dumb and full of . . . hormones, things might have been different. Crazy kids do crazy things.

They've had a bit of a pendulum on just how dumb Taylor is, but they've been hitting the "Taylor is dumb and that's our primary joke about her", to me, since all the way back then.

Yeah but to be fair most characters are ill-defined in pilots and even the first season. If you go back and watch the first season of Friends, for instance, you will see that Joey wasn't nearly as cartoonishly dumb as he eventually became. 

I find it kind of creepy that Tripp is playing horsey-wives with Ana-Kat over the internet. It's like he's mentally her age.

• Love 4

It was fun to see Patrick Duffy. Haven't seen him since Step By Step. And I'm glad he's taking Wendy Malick's character with him. She's only okay in small doses.

Anna-Kat should just tell her sister. She could do it and Taylor would believe her as opposed to Trip because she just thinks Trip is jealous.

It's gonna be a long layoff for American Housewife. It won't be back on until February. I may have withdrawals. I guess it's moving to Tuesday to make room for Schooled? Wednesday is my big TV night. I start off with The Goldbergs then American Housewife followed by Modern Family and wrap it up with Single Parents. I'm gonna miss this show being on Wednesday.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I didn't mean the hair color. I did mean the second episode. They've had a bit of a pendulum on just how dumb Taylor is, but they've been hitting the "Taylor is dumb and that's our primary joke about her", to me, since all the way back then.

Was she bright in the first season no but she also wasn’t as vapid/ clueless has she’s been since she went blonde. Before she at least had common sense now it’s like she’s got nothing but air in her head. It’s like that made her blonde just so they could hammer home the dumb blonde troup like the peroxide ate away any and all common sense or brain cells she had 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 4
On 12/13/2018 at 1:32 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That was Patrick Duffy!

It took me until his second scene to recognize him. I knew I knew the voice and was racking my brain trying to figure it out. I was ridiculously excited when it finally clicked. 

On 12/13/2018 at 3:30 AM, possibilities said:

After the pilot/first episode. If I remember correctly, the first girl was real sporty and smarter. This one started off sporty too, I think, but has grown more vapid and dim as time's gone by. 

I should be creeped out by Trip and Ana-Kat's Real Horsewives friendship, but I'm finding it adorable. Greg's missing him, not so much. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I get so tired of these tropes where one girl has to so vapid or into status etc. or they have to have a dumb character or a young child who knows more than everyone else etc.

Taylor's stupidity doesn't bother me at all. I think it's kind of funny. It may be a little over-the-top sometimes but this is a comedy. I don't know why that should upset anyone.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2018 at 1:03 PM, iMonrey said:

I find it kind of creepy that Tripp is playing horsey-wives with Ana-Kat over the internet. It's like he's mentally her age.

Well, don't forget, he was happy retrieving the frisbee Greg was throwing the dog. So playing with Anna-Kat is really a step up.

• Love 4
On 12/13/2018 at 1:32 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That was Patrick Duffy!

at first i thought the actor looked asian. then i realized it was patrick duffy and feel so old! wow, he looks good but aged. like all of us!