Type keyword(s) to search

Crikey! It's The Irwins - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm enjoying the show. I love animals, and I loved Steve. The opening makes me tear up a little every time I see it.

I think they're smart to use some of the other people at the zoo rather than forcing Terri, Bindi, and Robert to be in every scene. It lets them cover more of what's happening.

Spoiler

The death of Bruce the Bolga in episode 4 just about killed me.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, rainsmom said:

I'm enjoying the show. I love animals, and I loved Steve. The opening makes me tear up a little every time I see it.

I think they're smart to use some of the other people at the zoo rather than forcing Terri, Bindi, and Robert to be in every scene. It lets them cover more of what's happening.

Hide contents

The death of Bruce the Bolga in episode 4 just about killed me.

Thank goodness nothing as bad as Bruce happened last night! That bird had a great long life but it still catches you off guard when it actually happens! I had tears streaming down my face soaking my pillowcase last week and had to change the channel when they showed it again last night before the new episode aired. So moving......and a bird of all things!

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Thank goodness nothing as bad as Bruce happened last night! That bird had a great long life but it still catches you off guard when it actually happens! I had tears streaming down my face soaking my pillowcase last week and had to change the channel when they showed it again last night before the new episode aired. So moving......and a bird of all things!

Oy, if that happened every week, I wouldn't be able to watch. I recognize that there are successes AND failures, but I want the former to greatly outnumber the latter (both on my TV and in real life)!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, rainsmom said:

I prefer hearing from the zookeepers and vets, but I doubt anyone would have to force Terry, Bindi or Robert to be in front of the cameras.  ;-)

• Love 9

I “stupidly” watched the two hour Steve Irwin story that I DVRed before I watched the first few episodes of this program.

I was in tears about 30 mins into that show. I don’t even know what it is that makes me so emotional about this particular family and their battle for conservation. I’m beyond terrified of reptiles, but I really love this show a lot more than I expected. 

I thought that learning one of Cedar’s twins, the female joey, didn’t make it was crushing, especially when they showed the little koala that didn’t make it.

But then when Bruce couldn’t go on anymore? This show seriously makes me feel the type of exhausted that one usually only feels after a funeral.

Robert is the only Irwin that I enjoy seeing in front of the camera. I also like watching him on Fallon’s show or other talk shows. It’s probably because he comes across as so much more wise than his actual age. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Bridget said:

Robert is the only Irwin that I enjoy seeing in front of the camera. I also like watching him on Fallon’s show or other talk shows. It’s probably because he comes across as so much more wise than his actual age. 

I actually like Bindi, but honestly, I think it's because she's named after Steve's favorite dog. That has endeared her to me for life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Don’t get me wrong; I rooted for Bindi on Dancing with the Stars (and broke down in tears during her “Most Memorable Year” dance like the rest of the audience), but I suppose I’m partial to Robert this far as he seems to be so much more of a hands on part of the team. 

From participating in his first show at the Crocoseum to working with Wes in learning how to wrangle all types of animals, it’s been so interesting to watch him literally grow into a version of his dad.

I suspect Bindi does a lot more of the PR/public appearances as that’s her preference or area of expertise and I’d never knock her for that. 

ETA: Regarding Bindi’s name, the following is what I found on Wikipedia:

“Her first name comes from the name of her father's favourite female crocodile at the Australia Zoo, and her middle name, Sue, is from the family's late dog Sui.”

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 9

Im afraid to watch this show now. I dont want to cry. I did see a clip , of an possum rescue, and one of the guys seemed to be cute. I didnt get a full look at him, but probably cute enough to tune back in, sometime.

• Love 1

The Irwins family is so cool and I love them. I remember when Bindi had her little show with animals and seeing them all grown up and doing what they love as a family is truly heartwarming and I'm glad we get a glimpse of that on their new show. I was really enjoying this show but now I'm a little put off and I know that shows over dramatize for tv but really when the guy was handling the Cobra yes the snake was moving towards him at times but their was striking sounds and I know at least that last "close call" and the hissing noise was made, I watched it over and the snake didn't even open his mouth. I mean c'mon! They didn't have to do that. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ReadQueenXO said:

I was really enjoying this show but now I'm a little put off and I know that shows over dramatize for tv but really when the guy was handling the Cobra yes the snake was moving towards him at times but their was striking sounds and I know at least that last "close call" and the hissing noise was made, I watched it over and the snake didn't even open his mouth. I mean c'mon! They didn't have to do that. 

As much as I liked Steve,  I think he pissed off a bunch of those snakes that really didn't want to be picked up just for show and tell!  ;)  I know he did it for "educational" purposes, but now that we can Google these things, I'm sure the critters would prefer to be left alone!  

One thing that does concern me is their seemingly lack of fear around the older tiger and treating it like a pet.  I follow an organization out of Florida called Big Cat Rescue that rescues many abused lions, tigers, cougars, etc. and their volunteers are committed to taking care of those animals for the rest of their lives.   Most of the cats are elderly and not in the best of health when they get them.  They strongly advocate against using cubs of any kind in advertisements and other photo ops - as they are ripped from their mothers and then are doomed to a life in cage, so seeing them so casually play with this particular tiger concerns me. BCR is a hands-off type of facility.  Big cats are to be respected!  I only watched 2 episodes, so I don't know if the Irwins treat other big cats in their care the same way.  I hope not.   I don't think it sends the right message to see them playing with this tiger.  People need to know that they're not pets.  Big Cat Rescue continually works on legislation that bans everyday folks from owning these big cats, so it's best that they not be seen as something that one can treat like a domestic cat.  Just my 2 cents!  I still like the Irwins and wish them all the best!

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2

What got me about the cobra is that the enclosure opened from the FRONT! Is the audience not supposed to see the backstage areas? Is the hallway too small to film in? We go behind the scenes at all the other zoo shows and it makes the process of caring for the animals even more interesting to me.

The trip to Africa -- I don't know. It's awesome that Robert's photography is making money for the zoo, but when the guide and Robert got out of the car to see, I think, the rhinos close up, the guide was carrying a rifle. So this is a conservation area but they will (of course) shoot an endangered animal in order to protect a human. Maybe don't allow humans to put themselves in a situation where it might be necessary to sacrifice an animal, then? Special circumstances with TV filming and all, but it bothered me. I hope the preserve isn't in the habit of permitting that.

The anti-poaching women were cool.

Aw, Bindi has a conservationist boyfriend! Who could be a sibling, with that same round, open-faced look about him. She and he have a head start on that whole "couples who start to look like each other as they age" thing.

• Love 4

Actually, that gun may have been to protect them from poachers. A friend of mine was ambushed by a landmine that blew up his jeep, and then his party was attacked by poachers with automatic weapons. He woke up from his coma three weeks later -- lucky to have survived! Poachers are way more dangerous than the animals.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

Did Terri demand that her son was protected? Any thoughts?

Interesting that you should say that. I have been lucky enough to meet the family and I can say Terri is very protective of Robert. It was a few years ago, so he was younger, but he was followed at a discreet distance by employees (it was a public place) when he left her sight. It wasn’t anything crazy, I could just tell he is her baby and she worries about him.  But also realizes he’s growing up. I think she’s a good mom. 

• Love 5

We love this show at our house, especially Robert.  Bindi can be a wee bit too precious for my taste sometimes, but still...I really enjoyed her segment with the female anti-poaching group last night.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2018 at 8:54 AM, rainsmom said:

I actually like Bindi, but honestly, I think it's because she's named after Steve's favorite dog. That has endeared her to me for life.

No, Bindi was named after his favorite croc.  His favorite dog's name was Sui.

Edited by Honey
On 11/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, ChitChat said:

As much as I liked Steve,  I think he pissed off a bunch of those snakes that really didn't want to be picked up just for show and tell!  ;)  I know he did it for "educational" purposes, but now that we can Google these things, I'm sure the critters would prefer to be left alone!  

One thing that does concern me is their seemingly lack of fear around the older tiger and treating it like a pet.  I follow an organization out of Florida called Big Cat Rescue that rescues many abused lions, tigers, cougars, etc. and their volunteers are committed to taking care of those animals for the rest of their lives.   Most of the cats are elderly and not in the best of health when they get them.  They strongly advocate against using cubs of any kind in advertisements and other photo ops - as they are ripped from their mothers and then are doomed to a life in cage, so seeing them so casually play with this particular tiger concerns me. BCR is a hands-off type of facility.  Big cats are to be respected!  I only watched 2 episodes, so I don't know if the Irwins treat other big cats in their care the same way.  I hope not.   I don't think it sends the right message to see them playing with this tiger.  People need to know that they're not pets.  Big Cat Rescue continually works on legislation that bans everyday folks from owning these big cats, so it's best that they not be seen as something that one can treat like a domestic cat.  Just my 2 cents!  I still like the Irwins and wish them all the best!

You mean the tiger who was completely blind?  There isn't any chance that tiger could be released to the wild.

I love this show.  I really loved Steve.  I remember watching his funeral on TV.  They held it in the Crocoseum at Australia Zoo.  I sat there bawling my eyes out for 2 solid hours.  I still remember how completely awful Terri looked that day.  She looked grey, and haggard and like she wan't even really aware of what was going on.  I remember Bindi's strength when she gave that speech about her Daddy, where she called him her hero. 

I loved watching Wes standing behind Bob as he fed the large croc, and led the show for the first time.  There was absolutely no way Wes was going to ever let anything happen to his best mates little boy.  It's hard to believe that Bob is only 15 years old.

Terri did a great job raising Bindi and Bob, they are both wonderful kids.  Steve would be very proud.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 11/29/2018 at 5:11 PM, ChitChat said:

.  I follow an organization out of Florida called Big Cat Rescue that rescues many abused lions, tigers, cougars, etc.

Oh ChitChat...that is so awesome! I think I ❤ you! Lol. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Honey said:

I love this show.  I really loved Steve.  I remember watching his funeral on TV.  They held it in the Crocoseum at Australia Zoo.  I sat there bawling my eyes out for 2 solid hours.  I still remember how completely awful Terri looked that day.  She looked grey, and haggard and like she wan't even really aware of what was going on.  I remember Bindi's strength when she gave that speech about her Daddy, where she called him her hero. 

I loved watching Wes standing behind Bob as he fed the large croc, and led the show for the first time.  There was absolutely no way Wes was going to ever let anything happen to his best mates little boy.  It's hard to believe that Bob is only 15 years old.

Terri did a great job raising Bindi and Bob, they are both wonderful kids.  Steve would be very proud.

I did the same thing!  I loved Steve too.  And his funeral introduced me to the wonderful music of John Williamson.  His album, "Anthems" is a celebration of all things Australian.

I enjoy seeing how well Terri has raised the kids - Steve would be proud!  I think Terri lost her true soulmate and will never marry again.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

I did the same thing!  I loved Steve too.  And his funeral introduced me to the wonderful music of John Williamson.  His album, "Anthems" is a celebration of all things Australian.

I enjoy seeing how well Terri has raised the kids - Steve would be proud!  I think Terri lost her true soulmate and will never marry again.

I read that she has only just recently started dating again.  I'm not sure either Wes nor Terri would have made it through without the support they had in each other.  That said, I am so glad that they never got together romantically after Steve died.  Terri and Wes are really great friends, and Wes acts as a Father figure to the kids.

• Love 7

I’m enjoying the show so far, 

I’m hope they don’t turn it into another typical show where it becomes more about planned fake drama. 

I love that they are spreading awareness to make people understand that a lot of our animals/ wild life are at risk and could be gone tomorrow forever. 

The Bruce episode was so heartbreaking, not only did they lose an animal they love, they lost another piece, of their father. 

Bindi can be a bit much,everything is always “gorgeous” or “devastating” she’s a sweet girl along with her brother. The personalities/way of speaking begin to feel fake after awahile. 

I do wonder if they have any other passions, or social life outside of the zoo.

• Love 1

I've been meaning to catch up on this. I loved watching Steve as a kid and teen; his enthusiasm for his work was so infectious. It is bittersweet to see Bindi and Robert grown up - I wish Steve was alive to work with and teach them, like we got to see with him and his dad, Bob. 

Rosie the giraffe giving birth to her calf - amazing, beautiful. 

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 2

I was glued to the TV as Rosie was in labor. 15 months awaiting this moment! I am so glad the Zoo was able to film this, it was one of the coolest things to be able to see. I was scared when she came out and splatted against what looked like a steel wall/divider gate. Then lying there struggling to get up and plopping over like jello was hard to watch. Thank God she took breaths and was able to nurse (and off all 4 nipples) within such a short timeframe! I do not see how this show can top this one!

Edited by Calibabydolly
spelling
  • Love 1

That giraffe birth was amazing. I'm so grateful the show let us see the whole process. I felt so sorry for Baby Giraffe trying to get her legs out from under her and tumbling a** over teakettle, but it was also kind of comical. I feel I learned so much about the mother-baby giraffe relationship. 

OTOH, Robert's "all in a day's work" approach to being BITTEN BY A SNAKE was so Irwin.

That shot of Steve cradling bitty-baby Robert in his hand and gazing at him nearly undid me, though. He was clearly such a good, loving dad and it's so sad he was taken from his kids when they were so young. As much as I love this show, I feel his loss afresh with every episode.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FoundTime said:

That shot of Steve cradling bitty-baby Robert in his hand and gazing at him nearly undid me, though. He was clearly such a good, loving dad and it's so sad he was taken from his kids when they were so young. As much as I love this show, I feel his loss afresh with every episode.

Ditto.  But that photo of tiny Robert with that ginormous snake draped around him scared the tar out of me.  That was some "Fatal Attractions" style level of nutfuckery.

It was a mite dusty in here when that giraffe was coming into the world.

There's so much love for the animals at that zoo. I don't think a bit of it is put on for the camera.

I agree with the comment above about feeling Steve's loss anew with every episode. His legacy is thriving, but it was such a huge loss to the world.

• Love 1

I love this show so much! I could not believe how many times I held my breath as I waited for little Sophie to venture out beyond the fence. The giraffe birthing scenes were some of the coolest things I have ever seen on a show focused on animals and conservation.

I think Robert is such an impressive young guy. I really love watching his segments and seeing how seriously he is taking his role. He was born for a job like this. I like how he and Bindi have settled into their lanes of interest and seem genuinely interested in everything about the zoo. I also love how passionate Terri is with ensuring the quality and scope of the zoo. As she often says, this zoo is a product of both her and Steve's dreams, and I am proud that she is taking ownership in her own terms and not only as part of Steve's legacy. She seems to be doing a fantastic job with both the kids and with the zoo. I also love how committed Wes is to the family. His scenes with Robert are so touching!

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Honey said:

You mean the tiger who was completely blind?  There isn't any chance that tiger could be released to the wild.

Respectfully, my point was that it's best not to show these animals as something one could have as a pet.  It sends the wrong message.  There are many people in this world who think they can own a big cat and make it a pet.  It's best, IMO, to teach people that these animals are still wild at heart, and they should be respected as such.     I don't mean to be a wet blanket here.  My concern is for the animals.  I know that the Irwins have the best intentions, so it's not a slam on them, but I think it sends the wrong message to show them playing with this tiger.  YMMV.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Respectfully, my point was that it's best not to show these animals as something one could have as a pet.  It sends the wrong message.  There are many people in this world who think they can own a big cat and make it a pet.  It's best, IMO, to teach people that these animals are still wild at heart, and they should be respected as such.     I don't mean to be a wet blanket here.  My concern is for the animals.  I know that the Irwins have the best intentions, so it's not a slam on them, but I think it sends the wrong message to show them playing with this tiger.  YMMV.  

On the other hand, the more people that you can convince to really care about these animals, the more people who may be convinced to get involved with conservation.

I do totally get what you're saying though.

• Love 2
On 12/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, rainsmom said:

Anyone else wondering how to become a koala carer? Why didn't my guidance counselor ever tell me about that job?

You may not get to be a koala cuddler, but one can become a wildlife rehabilitator.  Usually, you start by finding a wildlife rehabilitation organization and volunteering with a rehabber of the animal of your choice.  Once you gain experience, and depending on the requirements of your state, you can try for licensing, or, in the case of many animals, just work under the organization's umbrella.

• Love 1

I was in shock when Robert was filming a manta ray and actually got hit in the cheek this week! I was thinking, what is wrong with Teri letting him near them? So I looked online to research how Steve was killed and he was killed by a stingray. Google the difference and it says the manta ray does not have a barbed stinger and it is not poisonous either. The details of Steve's death by account of the cameraman shooting it says he was stabbed 100 times in the heart by that stingray! He said Steve's last words were "I am dying!" as he was being pulled into the boat. They think the stingray thought Steve's shadow was a killer whale and it was a freak incidence. The whole time I watched Robert near those rays my mouth was dropped....until I learned about them later! Wow was that tense!

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, Calibabydolly said:

I was in shock when Robert was filming a manta ray and actually got hit in the cheek this week! I was thinking, what is wrong with Teri letting him near them? So I looked online to research how Steve was killed and he was killed by a stingray. Google the difference and it says the manta ray does not have a barbed stinger and it is not poisonous either. The details of Steve's death by account of the cameraman shooting it says he was stabbed 100 times in the heart by that stingray! He said Steve's last words were "I am dying!" as he was being pulled into the boat. They think the stingray thought Steve's shadow was a killer whale and it was a freak incidence. The whole time I watched Robert near those rays my mouth was dropped....until I learned about them later! Wow was that tense!

Thanks for your research and for posting here! I didn't know the difference, so the whole time the show featured the scenes with Robert, I kept saying to myself, "Steve's death was a freak accident. Steve's death was a freak accident. Steve's death was a freak accident."

I flurve the scenes with the wildlife carers! That little wallaby's recovery was a freaking miracle. So gratifying to see her with her coat of fur, hopping around the carer's home, at the end.

BTW, there's a two-hour doc on APL called The Steve Irwin Story that I stumbled across last Saturday night. It's excellent. I was simultaneously a little verklempt while I also had a constant smile on my face.

I am totally sick of seeing this commercial.     

I thought avoiding Animal Planet might limit how many times this ad is on, but all of their associated channels show it too.    Showing that Wildlife Warrior routine a bunch of times a day doesn't make me want to watch.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2019 at 3:11 AM, FoundTime said:

What happened to the cute little spiky whatchamacallit they found by the side of the road? Hope the hospital back at the Zoo was able to help.

Fun to see the fam in "civilian" clothes. That was one long drive.

They sent it back to the hospital with the guy who brought Sam out.

That little owl was so cute. Poor guy had a hard start but in the end was able to go back in the wild. Laughed out loud when it landed on the camera man's head and then the caretaker's shoulder and she was kind of afraid it would bite her ear.  Love this show!

• Love 1

Fair warning - I am about to shit all over your beloved Irwin zoo, so read no further if you can't handle the truth.

Wild bird rehab rule #1 - no unnecessary contact.  You may need to handle the bird at the beginning, but you need to stop ASAP.  The fact that Oscar "stepped up" on a hand AND perched on someone's shoulder means he has been habituated to humans (and probably taught to do this, since it isn't natural), a HUUUUGE no-no.  That they encouraged this behavior is unconscionable.  Then they stated that this bird needs to be able to fly long distances to hunt.  So they watch it fly a couple of feet in a cage no larger than 10'x10' (and I am being generous here), and call it good.  Ever heard of a fucking flight cage???  Every wild bird rehabber has.  It is a long cage where you release the bird on one end and see if it can make it to the other end without pooping out.  And their ability to fly properly in the wild upon release is STILL not certain.  Grrrr!!!

I loved seeing the Oregon scenery.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

You are absolutely right about the bird handling, I didn't really think past the "cuteness" of to what harm it would do to the wild animal.

I in no means meant to cast aspersions upon anyone who loved the cuteness of Oscar - I fell for him myself!  But I must take a critical eye when it comes to animal welfare or rehabilitation, even if it means admitting my love for animals might be a detriment to their future success in the wild.  I cannot begin to tell you how many wild birds wormed their way into my heart and soul - this little Oscar bugger had me enthralled - but there are best practices in place for a reason, and it's all about the animals - or is it about famewhoredom?

And that is just one of the many reasons I've begun to question the Irwins.

The thing is - showmanship.  I hate it.  And they are all about it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think the Irwins' intent is to raise awareness and to keep money coming so they can continue to run Australia Zoo.  And Oscar wasn't an owl by the way (and walnutqueen - I realize you didn't say that) but he certainly looked like one.

Perhaps after all the treatments that he had to have and the fact that they thought he wasn't going to survive, much less thrive, him having some human contact was unavoidable.  I have seen past episodes where they were much more conscientious about not having human contact.

An animal that is allergic to grass, dirt, and their primary food source - poor baby!

My negative thought (and I love this show and I really like Terri and Robert - I think Bindi is a little awkward on television but that's beside the point) was how heartbroken Malina must have been when Terri left her.  You could see that they had obviously bonded deeply and I wonder if Malina wondered where "her person" had gone.  Is that silly or what?  Having said that, I also figure it was difficult for Terri to leave her behind and certainly seemed to try and find the best situation for her.

• Love 6